Police Jurisdiction - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Police Jurisdiction
Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:39 PM on j-body.org
Ok...I've always wondered what is the jurisdiction of a City Police Officer...I always assumed that it was their assigned city limits...

Just to inform you why I ask...Prom night last year I was really tired and just wanted to get to my firends house to crash so I was driving somewhat speedly following this red Grand Prix...well not wanting to wait for him to speed up after going from 85-50 mph...I passed and too late I realized that my foot was all the way to the floor while passin my home town's city police officer...and he was on the highway of the neighboring town...he did have a juvinile that he was taking home so that was his reasoning for being there, and he was nice and all...and yes it was dumb for me to be pulling that crap on prom night...but it always pisses me off when I see that black and white Crown Vic driving on the highway between some neighboring towns....

So...I am curious as to what the jurisdiction of city police officers are....thanks all

Re: Police Jurisdiction
Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:47 PM on j-body.org
dont speed and youll never have any problems........
Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:54 PM on j-body.org
0h n03z, god forbid a police officer should do his job in pulling over a speeder!

if i were you, i'd ask the local precinct this question.
Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:04 PM on j-body.org
dont get on his case guys, its an honest question i wonder myself...

Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:09 PM on j-body.org
they have jurisdiction over the town in which their badge is issued.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:18 PM on j-body.org
First off, I completely agree with not driving like that...

I'm not sure about the US... It's divided up differently than Canada, but, depending on where you were snagged, and which Police dept. was involved (and at what level of gov't), you're probably SOL.

I know that here in Ottawa (RCMP, Provincial Police and Local Police, 3 layers of jurisdiction not including Military police), you can be stopped or arrested by any police officer pretty much anywhere in the region, but, for speeding, you can be ticketed by a local cop anywhere, OPP only on their designated corridors (basically highway areas, and some far-outlaying areas), and RCMP have even smaller areas (Embassies, Federal roadways, federal government buildings).

Again, I'm not sure if you can be ticketed by a local PD's officer outside their jurisdictional boundaries, but if there's that big of a fine or points involved, you're within your rights to dispute the ticket, just keep in mind, you're not going to win any friends in the local PD.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:34 AM on j-body.org
It depends. some police are City cops and have jurisdiction over just their town. some have been given police authority in their town and surrounding towns, and some have been granted the same status as sherifs (entire county) It all depends on how your town handles it's police. Ask one of them. As far as I know, a police officer can always radio in and get authorisation from the town or county he is in to make a stop as well.

._____________________________.
hostis humani generis - Causa latet vis est notissima
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-12-11 18:21:36. This ban will expire 2005-12-18 18:21:36 Pacific Time.

Reason: Your comment about Grim Raven's wife was completely uncalled for and way over the top.

My other car is a boat. Supermotors
Free FlatScreens, IT WORKS!
Monday, January 02, 2006 9:06 AM on j-body.org
Grimor wrote:It depends. some police are City cops and have jurisdiction over just their town. some have been given police authority in their town and surrounding towns, and some have been granted the same status as sherifs (entire county) ...

Yeppers. Out in my neck of the woods, the cops here are all county sherriffs. They have an interjurisdiction agreement with the next town over (which just so happens to be in another county). That town's cops all drive cars marked <city> Police, but also are sherriffs for that county. On top of that, we got the state patrol out here every so often, which to the best of my knowledge only have jurisdiction on an actual state route or interstate...

In any case, that was all set up because of budget issues. There are only 3 county cars for my county, 4 for the adjoining and somewhere in the neighborhood of 200+ square miles to cover (extreme rural).

Monday, January 02, 2006 9:15 AM on j-body.org
I shudder to think what kind of internet service you have Kardain... Smoke-signals?

Monday, January 02, 2006 1:53 PM on j-body.org
where i live its pretty much only the town they are a cop in. they can still pull you over in a different town but they can not cite you unless they call for an officer in that town. now im right outside of philly and i know philly cops have a good limit they can go. i see them all the time outside of philly sitting on I95 like 3 miles out of the city limits. i know the port authority has a 3 mile distance on each side of the bridge they can patrol

Monday, January 02, 2006 4:17 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I shudder to think what kind of internet service you have Kardain... Smoke-signals?

LMAO not quite that bad, but pretty close... I am only blessed with dial-up that gets on a good day 44 kbps.

Now, if I were to move a mile down the road, I'd have broadband... it's like it gets cut off at a certain intersection and no infrastructure was placed on my part of the street.

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:31 PM on j-body.org
lol.. that's not good... time to get a can-tenna and a friend up the road

Monday, January 02, 2006 6:34 PM on j-body.org
can-tenna's in the works wireless hotspot in line-of-sight at the boundary of broadband. Now, this'll only be used for the large downloads, and in shotgun with my dial-up connection. Every day interweb surfin will be done off the good ol' phone line.

And this is an open-to-public, no-cost hotspot.

Monday, January 02, 2006 6:41 PM on j-body.org
Damn...

I'd do the opposite... do the DL's off the modem (they're going to take a while on a somewhat loaded hub anyhow) and surf off the wireless. Get the mundane stuff done done fast, you know?

Monday, January 02, 2006 6:48 PM on j-body.org
My d/u ISP has a 6 hr time frame, then auto-resets the connection, so that takes care of the large d/l's... besides, I got the cache on my puter set so goddamned high, mundane is nothin.

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:03 PM on j-body.org
Well that settles it

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:38 PM on j-body.org
well aroudn here, Harrisburg, Pa, the city cops can only get u in their city, township cops in their townsip, and so on. But then we have the York Regionals who have a big area to patrol and they can basically get u anywhere in southern York County. But.....there's always a but......local cops cant pull you over on the highway, and cant use radar, only tha state cops can do that here

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:47 PM on j-body.org
I wonder what the protocol is for chases that go inter-jurisdictional?

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:58 PM on j-body.org
Thanks guys for all your input

Monday, January 02, 2006 8:44 PM on j-body.org
I believe that the (now) out-of jurisdiction cop would still retain jurisdiction seeing how the chase originated within their jurisdiction. Either that, or they would radio ahead to those that do have jurisdiction and have them continue pursuit.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:05 AM on j-body.org
i'm sure they still have jurisdiction, as long as you commited the offense in thier jurisdiction
but i wish it was still like the good ole days in the south where all u had to do was cross the line and you were free to go

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:11 AM on j-body.org
When were those days? Pre-radio installation?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:23 PM on j-body.org
c'mon GAM havent you ever watched Porkey's or any tv show of the "good ol south"??

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:01 AM on j-body.org
Those weren't the Good ole days... at least, not in your or my lifetime

Sunday, January 08, 2006 11:01 AM on j-body.org
I got pulled over when I was 17, just outside of city limits.. It was a city cop that pulled me over.. He said he couldn't give me a ticket, so I thought I'd be in the clear.. Instead he made me sit in my car till an RCMP officer came up, and he gave me a ticket. I was pissed.. lol.

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search