Did they really say that !?! - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Did they really say that !?!
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:11 PM on j-body.org
I saw article but I could not belive this quote. I understand what they are TRYING to say but it just sounds wrong.

Quote:

Having suffered a heart attack back in September, Allen had asked prison authorities to let him die if he went into cardiac arrest before his execution, a request prison officials said they would not honor.

"At no point are we not going to value the sanctity of life," said prison spokesman Vernell Crittendon. "We would resuscitate him," then execute him.

From this article CNN

Re: Did they really say that !?!
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:27 PM on j-body.org
hahahahahaha

---

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:29 PM on j-body.org
I think that unless there was a Do Not Resuccitate Order or something that expressed that the prisoner didn't want any heroic measures to sustain his life, he would have been kept alive.

All that just to execute him... proof of the lunacy of the Death Penalty.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:43 PM on j-body.org
Actually no Gam not quite. They were discussing this on a morning radio show in town and a prison authority called in and said its because if the individual dies before the end of the sentence then they are automatically pardoned. So if your in prison for murdering someone and your killed your self in a violent shower fight over whos getting the soap that fell then the family of the victim can not, REPEAT can not collect any insurance due them as the killer was acquitted and since there is no one else to try the insurance companies can stop any pay outs OR worse yet demand re-payment from the victims family. Thats why even if you only have a week to live before your fried the prison system must do everything in its power to keep you alive and to carry out the sentence. If your hurt or have a serious medical emergency they will take care of you like you are a regular person.

Its all to save the victims families the added misery of a possibly over turning of the guilty verdict.

Me? I say let the dude die. and the insurance companies still have to pay up.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:53 PM on j-body.org
That, I didn't know. I'm not up on California Penal/Insurance Code

Either way, the convict's death sentence could be commuted, and the pardon would be moot because it's serving the full term of a life sentence. And the post-humous pardoning seems a little absurd if you ask me.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:59 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope, that is very interesting.

Sort of a catch 22 on the death penatly.
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 1:40 PM on j-body.org
Personily I think its stupid as hell !

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:53 PM on j-body.org
Personally, I agree.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:57 PM on j-body.org
thanx for that info i did not know.

but now im upset that that law is in place. i can understand in certain conditions. for instance; if the person had not admitted to the crime and still had court dates in which it could be possible to reverse the sentence.

however if someone is on death row, and has either no court dates left to rebut his sentence, or had already exhausted them, then it that case if that person had a heart attack and died or was "stabbed" to death in a soap fight that would be absolutely ludacrous to pardon his sentence.

i can only hope, that in THAT situation they would not follow that law. but i have no idea.

but so many things go on in the legislative system that make no sense i wouldnt be suprised.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:02 PM on j-body.org
Must be some weird technicallity based on the fact that they were sentenced to "death" as opposed to "remain in custody until death", therefore if they die early, the sentence was never carried out?

I dunno, seems silly, but then so does perscribing death, so there ya go. You bought it, you own it.

PAX
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:20 PM on j-body.org
Yeah... it seems overly pedantic to me.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:31 PM on j-body.org
That is funny, the way they worded that. I got a good chuckle over it...

I get a picture in my head of the old west, Episode 1 of Deadwood on HBO, where the mob outside the jailhouse

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:33 PM on j-body.org
wants to kill the horse theif, but the sherrif tells them he'll be executed by the book and hangs him in front of the mob, not letting the mob get satisfaction.

P.S. Sorry for the double post, stupid touch pad on the laptop hit post on me...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:53 PM on j-body.org
IMHO, I just think that law about keeping inmates alive goes back to the corruption of the whole judicial system.
If death row inmates were executed within 72 hours of their conviction, we wouldn't need that law in the first place.
But now, they sit on death row for ages, appeal a million times, and it's allowed because of the corrupt lawyers, judges, and hell, even the juries now.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:41 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

appeal a million times

I believe its only 6 times But yes the Judicial system is far to slow. Smaller numer of appeals, maybe 3? And enough 100 % evidence and the Sentence should be carried out.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:20 AM on j-body.org
Well its not just the law out there but here in MD as well. I think HA HA nailed it tho.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:35 AM on j-body.org
Jarett: There have been at least 14 examples of people that have been exonerated due to DNA evidence being preseneted, and those people were on Death Row. There have been several examples of judicial misconduct where a person that was later found not guilty (at least), was either re-sentenced, or in the case of wrongful execution, the family sued and was awarded a very large sum.

The appeals process is there for a good reason. It's not perfect, but it has its porpoise

Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:48 AM on j-body.org
Gam, did you hear about the case of the man that was put to death not so long ago who up untill his last breath SWORE he was innocent ? Well it seems the Govenor of the state was troubled by this so he ordered DNA testing be done to see if the man was innocent. Guess what?

He wasn't, He was lyeing and trying to save his life. This was the first time DNA had been used to double check hust to make sure and as it turns out the guy was guilty.

Lets stop here as I'm not wanting to re-start the DP debate. We all have our opinions on it but this post was for saving the life of someone schedualed to die and how silly it is. And on that it appears we all can agree.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:05 AM on j-body.org
Now here's a question. If a person is murdered but no perp is ever caught, does the insurance pay? Why would it matter to the victom's family at all if the murderer died in a different way. It does not remove the fact that a person was murdered.

The perp's family may collect on an accidental death clause or something like that, but again, who cares? Why would the state care if a policy was payed out to the perp's family?

That brings it back to the idea that it must impact the victom's family, and I just don't see it. Will Nichole Brown's family get shafted because no murderer was ever found guilty? I doubt that.

It's the Chewbacca defence and it makes no sense

PAX
Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:42 AM on j-body.org
I can understand that Gam, I really can. I just think there's a lot of room for improvement. I'll have to see if I can dig up that article soon (I'll probably never find it, it was in a magazine), but Japan's "success" rate at finding the right person who did the crime was in the high 90 percentile. Is it that their police/detective work is better than ours or what?
It's just a huge waste of tax dollars to have these guys sit on death row for 30 years. Other than being incarcerated, the guy that was recently executed got free food, free clothes, free health benefits, didn't pay taxes... he was living better than a lot of people who aren't in prison. That's just not right.

Desert Tuners

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:11 AM on j-body.org
HAHA, I have NO idea. I was only relateing the reason why those on death row would have to be saved from dying to early.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:36 AM on j-body.org
see what you started Jack?

Desert Tuners

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:39 AM on j-body.org
Wait ? What ? That I started ? I was only relating what the guy on the radio interview ws saying thats all ! I swear ! lol, I started HA, not this time

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:16 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Gam, did you hear about the case of the man that was put to death not so long ago who up untill his last breath SWORE he was innocent ? Well it seems the Govenor of the state was troubled by this so he ordered DNA testing be done to see if the man was innocent. Guess what?

He wasn't, He was lyeing and trying to save his life. This was the first time DNA had been used to double check hust to make sure and as it turns out the guy was guilty.

I never said it was the great exonerator... I also know that it is NOT infallible or 100% identifiable to a single person (identical twins = DNA match... fraternal Twins = 26 matching eleels, possibly different sex chromasome). Back-checking should be done in cases where a DNA work up has not been done, principly because it's cheap, accurate, and is exculpatory. It can be added on appeal as new evidence.

Jarrett: Japan's unsolved crime rate is extremely low because of a few factors, not the least of which is that there are CAMERAS EVERYWHERE, and that there are substantially fewer crimes because of a lack of available weapons, and cultural breeding, although there is a sea-change happening there as the culture becomes more americanised.

I'll continue later.. break's up.

Friday, January 20, 2006 10:43 AM on j-body.org
Z24 FReQ (Jarett) wrote:I'll have to see if I can dig up that article soon (I'll probably never find it, it was in a magazine), but Japan's "success" rate at finding the right person who did the crime was in the high 90 percentile.

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics", Mark Twain

In reference to Japan. It's also much harder to kill people when guns are outlawed. So evidence is available in larger quantities. A shooter from 100 yards away is harder to find than someone who beat or stabbed someone to death.

To fix the whole heart attack thing. Life impisonment, or till death punishment can be executed... If they die early, then they served their term.

Our judicial system is too screwed up to execute anyone. The Judicial system let OJ Simpson go for killing his wife. We also have a pretty high rate of convicted innocents as well.

America, land of the free, home of the brave, sanctuary of the stupid. I pay over 25% of my wages into taxes so I can say whatever I want. Until I lose that right too because it will help prevent terrorism.

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search