Antivirus - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Antivirus
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:49 PM on j-body.org
I'm suprised this hasn't been brought up before, but search turned up nothing.

Tomorrow I'm going to "purchase" a new antivirus program. Which does everyone prefer, Norton or McAfee?? Why?

Discuss.

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."

Re: Antivirus
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:07 PM on j-body.org
Well, if you're going to buy one or the other, I'd go with Norton.

I've heard some good things recently about Trend Micro's PC-Cillin, and I know that the school division I work for uses Eset's NOD32 and our tech's swear by it.

Other than that, Kaspersky is another one I've heard mentioned favourably.

Personally, I use Norton, only because I'm too lazy to look for something else (and it may or may not have been free).

Thursday, December 29, 2005 10:42 AM on j-body.org
i use avg, free version, no problems

and if by "purchase" you mean limewire acquire
don't say it here, dave could get in lots of trouble

Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:21 PM on j-body.org
I said 'buy'; I've said nothing to indicate I would do otherwise.

I didn't start this thread to question what I should get personally, I just want to hear everyone's preference and why. I see no real discernable difference between the two, yet some people are downright militant in defending their choice; not unlike the Nvidia/Ati debate, or even AMD/intel.

So, what is everyone's preference?

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:53 PM on j-body.org
Norton, as a whole, is a little more polished than McAfee. Both'll do you well, but Norton will do it better, and I think it stops those nasty browser hijacks as well, something missing from McAfee.

I sold both products in a retail store for about 6 years, and every year McAfee was just a step behind Norton in terms of ease of use. Both, however, do the same job and will stop viruses just as well. Norton offers a better and more sophisticated feature set, however.

So, again, between the two, Norton is the better bet.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:16 PM on j-body.org
I've sworn off Norton and McAfee.. Both are excellent programs, but they both use entirely too much memory, and both report back identifiable statistics. It's none of Norton or McAfee's business what happens on my computer.

Microtrend PC-cillin is the best one commercially available... I wouldn't recommend any other if you're buying.

I'd rather use the AVG solution because I'm cheap, and the software only runs when I want it to.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 6:33 PM on j-body.org
I've been using AVG Free since about 1999 and I've never had a single problem on any of my computers. It's free, it's updated almost daily, it stays out of the way and is REAL lean on resources. When you install it it doesn't ask or require you to install a bunch of other garbage with it...big plus.

My only complaint about it is that by default it puts it's "certification stamp" on every incoming and outgoing email. That's easily fixed in the options though, so it's not really a big deal.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Friday, December 30, 2005 3:46 AM on j-body.org
^^^ Dude... we agree on something... Simply amazing!

Friday, December 30, 2005 7:48 AM on j-body.org
and i have had no problem with avg either

the reason i doubet you was becuase you put the word "purchase" in quotes like that

Friday, December 30, 2005 8:20 AM on j-body.org
I have used AVG for years on my home systems, and also the used the pay versions when I was doing IT for 4 school boards. No problems at all. It's top quality software, and uses next to no system resources to run, where Norton is a pig on resources.

The free version is all you will need for home use. Don't pay for something when you don't need too. Unless you are in and out of websites that usually carry viruses (which is your business, I am not here to judge) go HERE... and get all the protection you need.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Friday, December 30, 2005 10:20 AM on j-body.org
See, I ran AVG on my computers at home for awhile, and it worked fine on my computer, but I protect it like it's part of the CIA database anyway. (When it comes to keeping it clean, anyway).

My sister, however, had so many viruses and spyware issues running it that I can't recommend it for someone who doesn't want to have to worry about their virus protection.

I don't think it's a bad program, but if you're going to use the free ones, use a couple of them.

I heard mentioned that the best way to prevent viruses is to pick up Trend Micro, and download AVG and Avast, but only set one to run in the background and set the other two to scan on opposite days.

What it comes down to, however, is that no one here agrees that either Norton or McAfee is your best solution.

Friday, December 30, 2005 10:30 AM on j-body.org
i use and install AVAST on all machines I build. The home version is totally free and been using since 98 never had a infection to date.

Friday, December 30, 2005 1:00 PM on j-body.org
we had Norton on our old(built in 95) machine, which managed to completely hose the registry.

when i bought my computer, it came with PC-Cillin. when that free trial wore out, i used Norton for awhile, then McAfee.

overall, however, i prefer using Avast. i had AVG for awhile, which was OK, but i like Avast a little better...and, well, it was legitimately free.
Friday, December 30, 2005 3:36 PM on j-body.org
I vote AVG, too.

---

Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:02 PM on j-body.org
Good stuff... I havn't heard of over half thses programs... thanks guys!

Friday, January 06, 2006 5:15 PM on j-body.org
I'd have to go for AVG myself. Like stated above, it's totally lean on resources, and there's not 20 processes running in the background just for the main program. I'll have to check out Avast though, and compare the two as far as resource utilization goes.

While we're disussing PC "protection", I started using Sygate as my firewall last year after having a hard time with Zone Alarm. I found out about a month ago that Symantec bought out Sygate, and it's no longer being produced or supported. I refuse to pay Symantec $60 for a firewall, and then $20 a year after that to keep it updated. I don't really want to go back to Zone Alarm. Any opinions on a good firewall?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, January 06, 2006 5:53 PM on j-body.org
I use an old version of Tiny personal firewall

Friday, January 06, 2006 6:00 PM on j-body.org
I'm gonna keep running my Sygate for now. I hate Symantec. LOL

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:23 AM on j-body.org
I've been using ZoneAlarm Pro now for 5 years with no problems.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Sunday, January 22, 2006 2:26 PM on j-body.org
Ive used all of them. I like Zone Alarm and Norton best. Now that im using firefox, i havnt had the need for those programs. Foolish I was, to use IE.
Sunday, January 22, 2006 5:40 PM on j-body.org
so you don't use any virus software whatsoever?

if so...you really ARE a fool.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 5:58 PM on j-body.org
^^^ True.

You need to be careful, and barring that, you need to cover yourself. FF is good, but not perfect.

AVG/Tiny/Firefox.. you're set.

Monday, January 23, 2006 4:40 AM on j-body.org
I recommend Panda Titanium edition to friends and family. Has built in firewall, kills cookies, kills all viruses so far, checks uploaded & downloaded emails, periodic self-diagnosis, and prompts to block or allow programs to connect to the Internet. By far best bang for buck in my opinion. 100% better than Mcafee and Norton. Does use some resources....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:33 AM on j-body.org
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:16 PM on j-body.org
I use Avast!.

Never liked Norton myself, I hear McAfee is ok.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search