College - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
College
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 2:06 PM on j-body.org
alright, i always hear people on hear badmouthing college and i always hear people talking about how great college is. well, i think college is necessary for most of today careers and not for small amount of others. i think it really tests you, to see if you can buckle down, do work and not get distracted. some people end up partying and dropping out...(you know the rest)

some of my friends are not going to college, but think their going to be cash money millionaires doing something else. which they might or might not depends how well they work at it. i'm just working the system, graduate after little under 6 years get my Masters degree in Accounting and work for a top accounting firm or some other company, then start a whole bunch of businesses.
so it's worth it

so what's you opinion about college? do think it's worth it to go or not?

http://www.icefire.ca/stylez24/bashsig.jpg

Re: College
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 2:40 PM on j-body.org
People are going to be bias answering this so everyone should be saying if they went to college or not right off the bat.

I went to college and I think it's totally worth it. It's not about what you learn in the classroom really, but more about teaching you to handle pressure and stress, develop social skills, see how well you learn new things, and increase your desire to learn. I personally think that college opens much more doors that if you didn't take it. For example if you have 2 guys of equal intelligence, personality, aptitude etc but only one of them has a degree, an employer will hire the college boy only because that guy has proved that he's willing to learn and can work hard etc. I see a degree as a ticket to more opportunities.

Obviously you'll have guys without degrees who are successful, but really, why take that risk and why wouldn't you want to go anyway? I do understand though that college isn't for everyone.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:29 PM on j-body.org
i started going to college and stopped for financial reasons. i feel i'm WAY behind my peers in abilities, income, skills, etc. i feel i'm nearly a decade behind where i truly wanted to be at this point in my life, and i blame most of that on not finishing school when i was still there.

but, keep in mind: i'm an IT tech at one of the top hospitals in the country. i've been trying for 3 years to get here.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 4:38 PM on j-body.org
avlnchrs - Are you even in college? Born in 88, meaning you're 17 or 18. Just wondering.

Now try being a full time college student and in athletics. That will test you.

But I feel with a college degree, one will definitely achieve more in the long run. I've been fortunate to have parents where one went to college and the other went right into the working field. Albeit one makes more money than the other, they are both very successful. But don't think you can do this right out of HS. I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as it was 30 years ago; to jump right into a career.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 5:50 PM on j-body.org
Jason (The Kings Jester) wrote:avlnchrs - Are you even in college? Born in 88, meaning you're 17 or 18. Just wondering.

But I feel with a college degree, one will definitely achieve more in the long run. I've been fortunate to have parents where one went to college and the other went right into the working field. Albeit one makes more money than the other, they are both very successful. But don't think you can do this right out of HS. I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as it was 30 years ago; to jump right into a career.

try this on for size buddy:
taking 9 credit hours at my local community college (already have 6 credit hours)
take 3 classes at my local high school
work a full-time job @ a local tax return service

i know what you mean by "don't think you can do this right out of HS"
if i hadn't taken these courses, i would have been in for a rude awakening @ NIU in the fall

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 7:07 PM on j-body.org
I never went to college and got my LPN through the military. Could be a living, but...

In order to get my RN I will need to go to college. I am not looking forward to it, I have never been someone who likes school, but in order to make a good living I will need to do it. Thank god for the MGIB!

There are plenty of things people can do to make a decent living without going to college, but in order to support a family where there is a stay home Mommy, further education is a must...

I am just afraid I am going to be the "old guy" when I go back. I am thinking about applying to UWM. I have a lot of good letters of recomandation from doctors/sugeons/nurses/ect. Time will tell for me...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 7:40 PM on j-body.org
Yeah people that think, oh I dont need college, I'll just get a manufacturing job instead. Bad news the manufacturing jobs are either, gone, or going and never ever coming back. Steelcase World HQ in Grand Rapids, MI once had over 22,000 people working there, they are down to 1800 and layoffs are planned again.

Sorry people if you dont go to college nowadays your just an ignorant moron.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:00 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Sorry people if you dont go to college nowadays your just an ignorant moron.

That isn't really true at all. I went strait out of HS into the automotive industry. I was a line tech by age 19. Left to do my thing in the Army because it was just a thing I felt I had to do. I still have not gone to college. I have my LPN. I don't consider myself an ignorant moron. College isn't for everyone...

That quote makes you seem like the ignorant moron. I don't want to start a flame war, but take a step back and look at what you just said there...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:31 PM on j-body.org
avlnchrs wrote:
Jason (The Kings Jester) wrote:avlnchrs - Are you even in college? Born in 88, meaning you're 17 or 18. Just wondering.

taking 9 credit hours at my local community college (already have 6 credit hours)

if i hadn't taken these courses, i would have been in for a rude awakening @ NIU in the fall

Ok, I'm not going to get into a bitch fight. But how do you already have 6 credits yet are taking 9?? That makes no sense...You earn the credits at the end of each semester; or is it different with the CC?

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:42 PM on j-body.org
1st time around I went to college, ended up sitting in an office making under 30k a year.

Got laid off and took an aprentiship to learn a trade, and basically I decide when in the year I've made what i want. If I cared to work all year round I'd crack 6 figures easy..

Ya want to make $.........learn to run/fix pipes, weld aluminum, install/fix furnaces, set bricks in morter. ect ect ect and the only time you are out of work is when you want to be.

Rice.....Part of a balanced Pontiac diet.
Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:48 AM on j-body.org
sorry, but some of us aren't physically capable of working with our hands. my job, once i have my degree, will shoot up to over $60k - and i'm 25. had i already had my degree, i'd be in the $60s now.

looks like you picked the wrong major.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:15 AM on j-body.org
i'm 24 and graduated with a BS in Business Economics last June. (still looking for that caree)

There will always be those people who never went to college, or even finished high school and end up making a ton. Didn't bill gates even drop out of college? But on average a college degree will earn much more.

As someone pointed out, you can make money, and honestly, a respectale living doing other things, fixing toilets, laying bricks, roofing, all that fun stuff. but when it comes down to it, a degee lets you work with your mind, not your body.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:43 AM on j-body.org
Biggest thing is to have experience AND a degree. If your in college get yourself an internship.

Many of my friends I went to college with either went to graduate schools (big mistake for an IT major IMO if you havn't been out in the work force for a few years) or their still job searching.

By the time I graduated I had 2 years internship experience before college and worked 20 hours a week during college doing Web Development.

I'm 24 and will be in the 50's by the end of this month, if not I'm going to find a company who knows what I'm worth, I have over 5 years of experience, and in 1 year of experience at a fulltime no college to get in the way job my experience has excelled more than it did in the previous 5. As lilbit said if she had a degree she would be making 60's by now. If things go as they should I shoud be in the 60's within 2 years.

Also the only other option is to get a trade skill as "91 Sunbird SSE". And if you can start your own company doing it all the better.

-Chris

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:54 AM on j-body.org
Jason (The Kings Jester) wrote:
avlnchrs wrote:

Ok, I'm not going to get into a bitch fight. But how do you already have 6 credits yet are taking 9?? That makes no sense...You earn the credits at the end of each semester; or is it different with the CC?

yea, just kinda got upset about "are you even in college" it's cool though
anyways, i took 2 classes (3 credit hours/each) last semester (Fall)

Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:22 AM on j-body.org
avlnchrs wrote:
avlnchrs wrote:

That's what I hate about the internet...I didn't mean to come off like an ass or anything. Merely wondering if you were or weren't in college. By no means was it meant to upset you. Now I understand.

Good luck!

Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:29 PM on j-body.org
avlnchrs wrote:
avlnchrs wrote:

That's what I hate about the internet...I didn't mean to come off like an ass or anything. Merely wondering if you were or weren't in college. By no means was it meant to upset you. Now I understand.

Good luck!

where do you go to college? what's your major?

Thursday, March 09, 2006 3:39 PM on j-body.org
I'm at IUP, Indiana University of Pennsylvania. My current major is Sports Administration.

Hopefully I get accepted to West Chester University for fall. Yea, transfer...only thing holding me back are grades. I really messed up first semester. If I go there I will major in Business Management with a minor in Nutrition/Dietetics.

I'm also an athlete and WCU has a better swim team than that of IUP's. It's also a lot closer to home (an hourish, compared to 4.5-5 hours). It's also near King of Prussia and Philly, so on weekends there is a lot more to do. Indiana is over an hour away from any major city (Pittsburgh) and the town is a lot smaller than the University. But it does have the rep of being the biggest party school for the state schools. Basically only Penn State is a bigger party school but they aren't fully subsidized like IUP is. That is my little rant for ya.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 3:47 PM on j-body.org
well as for me, Im 19, and getting my associates after this semester, then I move on to a university to get my bahcelors, i should have it by 21

personally, I think college is not ESSENTIAL, but if u go to college, your more than likely to make a living working alot less than the person who didnt go to college. you might make the same amount of cash, but the difference is in how much u work (work hours, type of work, vacatiion time, benefits, etc.)

Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:09 PM on j-body.org
i know a ton of people that think you need college to get anywhere in life. thats not really true. yes i did go to college and it has paid off for me but its not like "oh if i dont go to college i'll never make it anywhere in life". theres plenty of people in the world that made it without college. my buddy went to college and dropped out a semister before graduating, hes making 60k right now at his current job.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:24 PM on j-body.org
I go to Iowa State University and I have friends that went right into construction and fabrication jobs after HS. Thats fine and everything but I feel really bad that at 21 I am on salary and making much more than they are on my internship, all the while they are working there asses off. (not to say that I didn't work my ass off to get here and don't deserve it.)

I don't like how they say that college isn't for them and they hated high school enought and so on... when I know they could have excelled at a university or even a vocational school if they would have given it a shot.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:44 PM on j-body.org
I said it way above in my first post. My father only went to college for one year, then he got into a good job as a draftsman for one of the largest companies in our city, he was 19. He has stayed with them for over 30 years now and is making quite the living. I don't want to get into everything but lets just say we will always be happy.

Point - one can make a hell of a living without a college education. But now-a-days more and more companies expect to see a person with a college degree. Even more so now, people want to see Master's degrees.

The jobs are out there, one just has to be well-rounded and know where to look in order to get them.

My $.02

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:34 PM on j-body.org
i wish i would have went

Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:27 PM on j-body.org
Part of me wishes I would have went, but what I learned in the Army will far better me for the future. Mostly because when I graduated I was 17 and really immature, basic training cured that real quick and the 9 years I packed in didn't hurt either.

I personally think I I went to college I would have pissed away any future I have.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 6:26 PM on j-body.org
College/University is what you make of it. Really, it's not JUST an extension of highschool, it's a growth experience.

I know a couple of people that basically slept their way through school and are getting killed in the real world, and there are some that dropped out of College, and are doing very well. I wouldn't trade my time in University/College for anything... I didn't do it because I wanted to learn something else, I'll be honest, I didn't want to work when I graduated @ 17. However, I realise now, I worked harder, and did more than if I just went to work.

There's more of an intangible there, you can learn a lot, but you also start to network for new jobs, and, you learn about how to learn... not just how to do something. Technology and techniques change, you learn how to keep up, and you learn how to apply that everywhere.

If you have the option to go, I say go but with the caveat that you are going to have to work HARDER there than you did in Highschool, and, that you're not doing it for immediate gain, but longer term gains...

I seem to remember seeing a study that said that University Graduates (Batchelors) make 60-80% more than Highschool graduates.

If your friends are suckered into the idea that they'll be able to be millionaires just on their good looks, charm and minimal hard work, they're fools. You really make your own fortunes.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 6:49 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

i wish i would have went

Never to late.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search