Saddam Fooled Everyone, Including Himself - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saddam Fooled Everyone, Including Himself
Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:54 PM on j-body.org
What if...

Strategy Page wrote:
As thousands of captured Iraqi documents are translated, it becomes clearer why all the world's intelligence services were misled about Saddam's nonexistent weapons of mass destruction (WMD). A decade of UN WMD inspections did indeed destroy Saddam's WMD arsenal.

Saddam believed that he could not outright say he did not have any WMD. He believed that Iran would come after him if they believed Iraq did not have WMD. During the 1990s, the Iraqi armed forces gradually fell apart because of the UN sanctions. So Saddam needed something to make Iraq look stronger than it actually was.

But why didn't the truth get out of Iraq? That's because many senior Iraqi officials believed Saddam's deception. To contradict Saddam could get you killed, and that was no myth. When Saddam finally told his generals, three months before the U.S. invaded in 2003, that Iraq had no WMD, the generals were dismayed. They already knew their forces were in no condition to resist the Americans, and always believed that Saddam's WMD would give them something to work with.

But it got worse. After the 1991 war, Saddam's generals were afraid to tell him how superior the American forces were, and why. This was because Saddam tended to kill people who brought him bad news. So all that stuff from Saddam in the 1990s, about how Iraq had actually won the 1991 war, was what himself Saddam believed. After all, his generals told him so.

As a result of all this fear and deception, anyone outside Iraq, trying to find out what was happening, would gather all sorts of information indicating that Saddam still had WMD. Even Arab diplomats, who could schmooze with senior Iraqi officials, got the same story. Saddam especially wanted the Arab world to believe he had WMD, because that made him a hero in the Arab world. And so it came to pass that Saddam fooled everyone, including himself.

I'm not sure how credible this statement is, but it was, to say the least,
damn intresting reading ....

Re: Saddam Fooled Everyone, Including Himself
Friday, March 17, 2006 12:49 AM on j-body.org
The post-1991 Gulf war bit is bull... Saddam knew what was happening... he has CNN and could speak english enough to know the words "Iraqi," "troops," and "surrender." If nothing else, seeing the Iraqi troops with their hands up would say it all.

He didn't give up that he didn't have any WMD's... Not to anyone that I've read about anyhow. If he had given it up that Iraq had no WMD, Iran would have martialled their armies and air forces and stormed in early... There is a LONG standing grudge between Iraq and Iran. Iranians haven't forgotten.

Also, saw the writing on the wall so to speak. He had his Fedayeen Hussain training to operate in urban areas, and in small-unit guerilla tactics, about 5 years before the invasion. They didn't learn from Al-queda, they learned from the Contra's.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: Saddam Fooled Everyone, Including Himself
Friday, March 17, 2006 5:25 AM on j-body.org
Thats about as far a reach as saying we did 9/11 to ourselves. Nope don't buy it at all.
I do think their were WMD's and I have stated many times where I believe them to be currently. But even as much as I do think their were WMD's this is just tooooo far of a stretch.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search