Home Owners Associations - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Home Owners Associations
Monday, March 20, 2006 6:38 AM on j-body.org
lilbit01 wrote:
Jackalope wrote:You guys do relize that an HOA can be started after you purchase your house right?

did you bother to read Joe's post, or did you just skim over it because it was long?

Yes I read it and I think its a steaming pile! Not what he said but rather how the HOA came in after the fact and tried to take over. I was only stateing my experiences with them and why I dis-like them so much. We, much like Jimmy Z won in the end but the crap we had to go thru was uncalled for.

And your parents getting fined for YOU washing YOUR car is a load of crap too! Seriously what did you hurt by doing that? How did your washing your car damage anyones property or de-value it in anyway? Thats a perfect example of HOA's out of control.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:06 AM on j-body.org
you must not have understood Joe's post, then - they cannot take over a house that was already there, and not part of their association.

as far as my parents getting fined - it's in the rules that no work whatsoever can be done on vehicles. we didn't know until after they were fined that this included washing cars.

Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week, March 13-17
Monday, March 20, 2006 7:26 AM on j-body.org
lilbit01 wrote:you must not have understood Joe's post, then - they cannot take over a house that was already there, and not part of their association.

as far as my parents getting fined - it's in the rules that no work whatsoever can be done on vehicles. we didn't know until after they were fined that this included washing cars.
I understand what he's saying, and it's a little different than my Dad's situation. In Jackalope's case, residents an existing neighborhood that had no HOA got together and voted that they wanted to have one. Majority rules in a case like that, and that can make everyone in that neighborhood/subdivision subject to the HOA's rules...even if they voted against it.

In my Dad's case, it was a HOA trying to extend itself beyond the bounds of their "turf" and impose their rules on other homeowners. That's what the court ruled was not allowed.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:41 AM on j-body.org
alright. i misunderstood the situation.

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:43 AM on j-body.org
^ ^ ^ Thanks Jimmy that exactly what I was getting at. Lilbit sorry for any confusion if I wasn't clear. And it may be a rule you can't wash your car but I can still think its a stupid rule! Wash your car get a fine! Good Grief whats the world comeing to?

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:46 AM on j-body.org
such is life. my parents aren't too thrilled, but they put up with it so my dad doesn't have to mow the lawn.

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:13 AM on j-body.org
an HOA is great IF they enforce the right things. It keeps scum bags out of your nighbor hood.

A good HOA will make you keep your grass cut once it gets past a certain height(typically its pretty high, and they are lenient)
They will make you shovel your sidewalks within 24hours of snowfall.
They will keep junker cars out of your yard. UNless of course they are properly tagged. or out of public site.
They will make you upkeep your home. No more homes rotting away or windows with boards in them. But you have choices on your paint and whatnot as long as its taken care of, paint it whatever color you want.

Now what i just said is what a good HOA would do. Most of them do not do that. To find a HOA that just enforces the basics is going to be very hard. Therefor i will never ever move into one. Those of you who do move into a neighborhood with an HOA to bad. YOu agreed to it and theres nothing you can do now.

JImmyz i cant imagine what i would do if they pulled that @!#$ on me...Ill stand my ground till the end no matter how wrong or right i am.
I dont agree with them building a neighborhood with a HOA and then trying to take over exsisting properties...

Jackalope
That to is bull@!#$ and i wouldnt stand for it. You bought your god damn house why the hell should you have to follow there rules. I would bet money it would be easy to get out of that. And if i couldnt....houses around me would suddenly be violating alot of rules....

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:25 AM on j-body.org
let's see...

my parents' HOA requires that all external modifications to the front of the house have been filed for approval by the HOA before work is begun. front doors, windows, storm doors, roof all have to match HOA specs, and you can only buy replacements from certain dealers. the deck has to match HOA specs to the letter. an awning is allowed on the deck, but no screened porches are allowed. back doors must match. all bedroom windows in the front must have horizontal blinds(they may have other window treatments in the room, as long as the blinds are there). no decorations on front lawn. no flags other than Maryland or US flag on front of house - other, tasteful flags permitted on back of house. no toys/bikes/etc may be left on front lawn after dark. no nonmoving vehicles may be parked in the court. all vehicles must be properly tagged. all homeowners lacking driveways may park two vehicles in front of their house - certain spots are reserved for homeowners. any nonmarked spots are available for public/guest parking. homeowners with driveways MAY NOT park their vehicles in public spots. no vehicles may be leaking fluid. no homeowners may do any work on their cars - this includes car washes, wheel changes, bulb changes, fluid changes. interior work may be performed, as long as the homeowner does not leave a mess and they avoid playing loud music while doing it.

that's all i can remember off the top of my head. some of their demands are reasonable, but others are out of line.

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:37 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:You guys do relize that an HOA can be started after you purchase your house right?
Sure they can form one. Some states require a majority, some require a 75% vote.

I know of no states that allow the HOAs to enforce the covenants and restrictions on the pre-existing homeowners unless those homeowners voted for the HOA or take part in HOA activities (meetings, BBQs etc). If the house is sold, the new owners have no choice but to follow the C&Rs.
Monday, March 20, 2006 10:24 AM on j-body.org
lilbit01 wrote:this includes car washes, wheel changes, bulb changes, fluid changes. interior work may be performed, as long as the homeowner does not leave a mess and they avoid playing loud music while doing it.

I'd love to see their reaction when you buy a beater and let it collect a few months of winter salt and don't wash it for a year.

-Chris

Monday, March 20, 2006 10:40 AM on j-body.org
IamRascal wrote:
lilbit01 wrote:this includes car washes, wheel changes, bulb changes, fluid changes. interior work may be performed, as long as the homeowner does not leave a mess and they avoid playing loud music while doing it.

I'd love to see their reaction when you buy a beater and let it collect a few months of winter salt and don't wash it for a year.

if it doesn't have a sticker saying it belongs to a homeowner(forgot to mention that...all homes get 2 stickers), and if it sits for more than a week untouched, it gets towed. no questions asked.

Monday, March 20, 2006 10:57 AM on j-body.org
lilbit01 wrote:let's see...
my parents' HOA requires that all external modifications to the front of the house have been filed for approval by the HOA before work is begun. front doors, windows, storm doors, roof all have to match HOA specs, and you can only buy replacements from certain dealers.

That right there tells me that those dealers probably have vested interest in the neighborhood when it was built. Definitely not good for the owners since they can mark up the prices because the owners would have no choice.
Quote:

no vehicles may be leaking fluid. no homeowners may do any work on their cars - this includes car washes, wheel changes, bulb changes, fluid changes. interior work may be performed, as long as the homeowner does not leave a mess and they avoid playing loud music while doing it.

The leaking fluids I can understand but wonder if they'd cite you if it was leaking overnight w/o your prior knowledge until you went out the next day to drive it. I'd break those rules every chance I got just to @!#$ with them. Can't change your light bulbs what kind of BS is that. "Gee headligfhts out can't change it in the neighborhood oh well. What was that I just ran over? Oh my god it's one of the kids that live in the neighborhood." This reminds me of the one X files episode where Mulder and Scully went undercover in a HOA neighborhood and found out the HOA president was using Voodoo to punish the neighbors that didn't abide by the rules lol.

Monday, March 20, 2006 11:05 AM on j-body.org
overnight accidental leaks get a warning. i found this out the hard way with my old corolla.

i've also found out the hard way with the bulb changes.

Monday, March 20, 2006 12:11 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

This reminds me of the one X files episode where Mulder and Scully went undercover in a HOA neighborhood and found out the HOA president was using Voodoo to punish the neighbors that didn't abide by the rules lol.

that was one of my favorite episodes....

Monday, March 20, 2006 1:16 PM on j-body.org
Roscoe we did fight them and we won but not before it got nasty. I guess they left a BAD impression on me that I'll never forget. But IMO they blow.

Monday, March 20, 2006 1:49 PM on j-body.org
oh they def suck..like i said the good ones are few and far between. it has become a dictatorship now. When he moved in It was the simple stuff. Keep your lawn mowed, keep the snow cleared, and dont trash the yard. Within a couple years it became what was stated above. They took over everything. My friend got kicked out because he was under 18 and not part of the family...

Monday, March 20, 2006 5:43 PM on j-body.org
You would think that people would have better things to worry about.
Monday, March 20, 2006 6:32 PM on j-body.org
IrshGuy wrote:You would think that people would have better things to worry about.

when 90% of my parents' court consists of kept women and stay-at-home moms who hire nannies, they literally have NOTHING better to do.

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:20 PM on j-body.org
You would think...But they dont...

A bunch of busy bodies that have nothing better to do then be in everyone elses business.

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:50 PM on j-body.org
Roscoe wrote:You would think...But they dont...

A bunch of busy bodies that have nothing better to do then be in everyone elses business.

WE HAVE A BINGO!!!!

Condo ASSociations are almost as bad, but in my case they're somewhat decent. They get neurotic about what people do in their backyards (common elements, none of the backyards are fenced in... you get personal use area, but even then you have to apply to put in a patio or anything of the like), and I've had to call them 4-5 times a week to get some hump out there to spread salt/stone before/after snow melts happen. But I can't complain.

Where my folks' cottage is there is a land owner's association and they have had to deal with people letting their properties go.. I mean GO... letting trees get eaten up by beavers, floating boat houses sinking because they're in disrepair. I think in Quebec you need over 80% or consensus (I don't know how it's worded specifically). There has already been a property lein and sale for clean up costs, but the place looked like it was going to fall apart, we had an inspector come by, de-certify the building for inhabitation, and after the owner didn't do anything for over 180 days, the place was expropriated and the place demolished. The owner was hopping mad (I would be too, but then again, if it got to be too much to keep up, I'd rather sell the place), tried to sue etc... the funny thing is that he signed onto the land-owners agreement, knowing full well that that could and would happen because of the condition of his place.

For those people, it's not as niddly as what colour you want to paint your place, it's about keeping it in good repair, or, if nothing else, giving someone in LOA a call and asking for a hand. There's no dues or anything (you buy a $100 Share in the corporation at the outset), and no one is out to get anyone, at least not yet, just making sure the place doesn't go to seed, and that people aren't running around at all hours on the lakes on jet skis and power boats at full tilt. It's common sense, and everyone (ok, 80 has to agree on what to do about something that's a problem.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:57 PM on j-body.org
I think they are the reason behind them is to keep property values from going down because of losers. A few basic rules are fine, mowing your lawn no junk/garbage all over the yard.Sure if you agree to it there isn't much you can do about it but why should you agree to anything when you are paying for the house and property? Some say just don't buy there, but what if you like the location, have friends near by, like the house(dream home), etc. should you really have to miss out because a bunch of uptight A holes can't stand to see a car being washed? Canada and the US especially are proud to be free, hell the US are at war to make Iraq free yet they don't allow their neighbor to wash their car or paint their shutters yellow? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Jabbles

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:08 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:For those people, it's not as niddly as what colour you want to paint your place, it's about keeping it in good repair, or, if nothing else, giving someone in LOA a call and asking for a hand. There's no dues or anything (you buy a $100 Share in the corporation at the outset), and no one is out to get anyone, at least not yet, just making sure the place doesn't go to seed, and that people aren't running around at all hours on the lakes on jet skis and power boats at full tilt. It's common sense, and everyone (ok, 80 has to agree on what to do about something that's a problem.

see - THAT is an association that i could deal with.

as far as costs: my parents pay dues($180/year), which cover land care, street maintenance, and door painting(they repaint the doors every few years).

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:49 PM on j-body.org
We purchased a house in a HOA, and love it. We know that our neighbors will never paint their house a god awful color, let their grass get too tall, or let the outside of the house go. We put up a fence and followed the procedure and it was quite easy. We pay $430/year, they take care of all the common areas, pond maintenance, and we have access to a pool, along with 2 spring boards (I can only imagine the insurance on that). They also have activities for the kids, neighborhood yard sale day (they advertise and all), and wine tasting events. Of course, they don't seem to ever overstep their boundaries. Sure we can't have boats or trailers in the drive way, but they do offer a locked and fenced area in the neighborhood where you can put that stuff. All in all, I feel it's a good insurance policy to know that my neighbors will keep up with their house just as I do.
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:57 PM on j-body.org
To me, HOA's are for for the type of person that I am not. After all, if i wanted someone with a bunchof rules telling me what i can and can't do in my own home, under the guise of taking care of the place...i'd live in an apartment for the rest of my life.

If i'm going to buy a home, i'll do in it what I want to do in it--if i want to fly a pirate flag in my front yard, I will

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:11 PM on j-body.org
Keeper of the Light wrote:To me, HOA's are for for the type of person that I am not.
HOA's are to prevent problems with THIS kind of guy.
Keeper of the Light wrote:if i want to fly a pirate flag in my front yard, I will
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search