Our quest for knowledge dangerous? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Our quest for knowledge dangerous?
Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:29 PM on j-body.org
Okay, so this local story in my paper really got me thinking about our neverending search for the next wonder-drug, a better solution, etc. Well this kid, 18 years old, dies suddenly and unexpectedly the day after Christmas. The details are just now being released, and the post-mortem is showing distinct signs that the medication Adderol was a major factor in his premature death. Now his family is trying to start an awareness program for the ill effects of medications commonly used to treat ADHD and related conditions.

This, coupled with numerous other tragedies and maloccurrences leads me to wonder when will we realize that the more 'technologically and scientifically' advanced we get, the more doors to unexpected and unwelcome circumstances we open. In his SotU address, President Bush was talking about attempting to shed our dependency on the Middle East for crude by using "Safe, Clean Nuclear power". Of course he said 'nucular', but whatever. The point is, how is nuclear radiation clean OR safe in ANY respect? Experimentation is not wrong, but where do we draw the line? When the lives of tens, even hundreds of thousands of people could be at stake? But hey, at least we wouldn't have to deal with those damn Iraquis. Give me a break. We're supposed to cooperate. Jesus.

Discuss

Re: Our quest for knowledge dangerous?
Saturday, February 11, 2006 8:55 PM on j-body.org
the radiation from nuclear fission is contained, the only harmful byproduct is the little bit of toxic waste, which is better than the air pollution caused by coal plants, or oil. we have good storage facilities for the waste.

you do know that weve been using nuclear power for years with no major incidents in the USA

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:19 AM on j-body.org
a little waste.

waste builds up you know.

The earth is comprised of what was it.. 7 billion souls?

So this little bit of toxic waste keeps getting put away... pushed aside...

And nobody's perfect, some of this waste is going to be stored irresponsibly and well... what are you gonna do then?

but that's getting off topic.

I do believe that humans tend to go a little far as far as knowledge goes.

Some things are best left unknown, it's just the natural way of things as far as I see it I suppose.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:08 AM on j-body.org
I worked on or around the nuclear reactors on submarines for 7 years. During that time I wore a thermolumenescent dosimeter which reads how much radiation I was exposed to. During all that time I only received about 128mrem. Some people get that much yearly due to natural background radiation (mostly areas with high granite concentrations. I would get more during a airline flight across the US than in a month of working on the reactor.

The waste is a problem, but not so much of one if people weren't terrified of it. There's places to dispose of the spent fuel and other contaminated equipment.

Light water reactors are inherently safe due to their design which regulates power production by itself. You set up the conditions for it to maintain a certain temperature and then it will regulate very close to that temperature all by itself with absolutely no input or changes to the control system. Heavy water reactors, graphite moderated reactors, liquid sodium reactors are different they tend to not be self regulating and when things go wrong, things go very wrong (Chernobyl).

Fusion is what will get the most attention for awhile and if the containment problems are solved, it will take care of the nuclear waste issues we have.

Back on topic. The nuclear research doesn't bother me. It's something we understand. The things that I believe our discoveries are outpacing our knowledge is the genetic research and cloning. There are too many unknowns with biological experiments that we can't account for. How long till we make a mistake that we can't fix?
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:08 AM on j-body.org
any time you push the boundries of what is known or do something that has never been done before there are inherent dangers, it's the nature of the beast.

Also my view has always been that medication for the percieved problem of ADHD, ADD, etc..... Is a cop out. I've had ADD all my life and I've never taken medication for it. I'm successfull in my career and enjoy my life.

ADD, and ADHD isn't a problem, its a different kind of brain wiring, one I consider a gift, i see things from a different perspective than others who are "normal".

It's sad that the death of someone finally reveals to people that medicating away someones gift because society believes it to be abnormal. Now they're talking about how it may be a bad idea...NO @!#$ SHRLOCK!! Get the kids involved in sports or some kind of activity that keeps them busy, stop babysitting with the TV, that's a start.

-Chris

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:46 AM on j-body.org
The quest for knowledge greater is inheirently dangerous, and to be certain, we're going a little faster than some would like..

The knowledge itself is not dangerous. What is far more dangerous to human life is when we start broadly using a new technology (nuclear power, drugs, etc.) without understanding it's ramifications on the environment (the world at large or the human body, etc.).

Knowledge isn't dangerous unless it's applied recklessly.

In Jason's original post, the drug Adderal (depends on the type) has few serious side-effects, but anorexia and depression are part of it. When the drugs are prescribed, the doctor should discuss the effects of the drug, as well as take into consideration any other drugs that are being taken, as well as what to watch out for in the case of any drug-related allergies. If the drug was the cause of death, then the medical examiner's report will bare that out and the FDA will have to order the drug reviewed/removed or new packing inserts arranged. However, if the drug only contributed to the death then the alarums and hackles are getting raised for no reason, this is covered under the drug's product sheets.

In my personal point of view, people are OVER MEDICATED to begin with. Children or adults with ADHD can overcome that by making their though process regimented and disciplined. I think that ADHD has become a catch-all term and the few real cases of it are getting lumped in with kids who have been poorly disciplined.

In the case of new energy resources: Sink half the oil exploration money into the development of a new extreme efficiency solar photo-cell, wind-generator and power unit, and you'll cut out the need for natural gas and coal powered electrical stations.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:27 AM on j-body.org
I've been seeing commercials for GM's new vehicles that will run fine on 85% corn alcohol. I'm sure in a few years we'll have the ability to run cars, generators, lawn mowers, etc. on 100% corn alcohol. It's renewable and cleaner than oil/gas. I've seen on tv (a show called "Trucks") about biodiesel, which is made from used oil from deep fryers. We're on the edge of eliminating gasoline, we just need that last nudge forward.

Fully electric cars just don't seem realistic for everyday use. I can run my car almost out of gas, and it still runs the same as a full tank. My kids have had enough radio controlled cars for me to know I don't want to be on the freeway with an electric car when the battery gets weak.

As far as nuclear, "when things go wrong, they really go wrong" sums it up for me too.

Solar/wind may be good in some climates, but I live near Cleveland. We get 6 months of crappy wet snowy cloudy days, followed by 6 months of "almost decent" weather. Not enough sun or consistant wind to use either system. If there's ever a system developed that can create electricity out of "sucking", Cleveland would become the power capitol of the world.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:26 PM on j-body.org
^^^ LOL!!!

Okay, Solar works from dusk till dawn (basically if it's pitch black, it won't work.. otherwise, there's enough there to charge a powercell) and wind work with as little as 10 mph winds.

You're not using just one... there's an idea that there can be wind farms like the ones in Netherlands. Off-shore, and literally 300-400 windmills with gear-reduction generators feeding into an on-shore power grid. Think of it: 3 mile island could be shut down.

Also, for desert cities, solar power would alleviate the need from the Hoover dam... you can build a solar array literally right next to it... or, even on top of city buildings (yes, it is possible).

For energy, the biggest thing that we have to start doing is conserving what we use already.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:33 PM on j-body.org
we could make prisoners run in huge hamster wheels to generate power....we got enough of em

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, February 12, 2006 1:28 PM on j-body.org
mikec2003 wrote:we could make prisoners run in huge hamster wheels to generate power....we got enough of em

Hmmm... I'm not sure, but I think that would fall under the "cruel and unusual punishment" part of the constitution.

And do you really want criminals coming out of jail who are able to run for hours at a time? If anything, we should be feeding them cheeseburgers all day so they're fat and slow when they get out.

If there was a tax credit for riding an exercycle that generated power, that may be a solution. Instead of paying a health club, you'd go to the power company and get a tax voucher. You'd be able to spot a wealthy person by the hugely developed leg muscles.

Gam(kilted and proud) wrote:Okay, Solar works from dusk till dawn (basically if it's pitch black, it won't work..

For energy, the biggest thing that we have to start doing is conserving what we use already.

I've checked into the solar water heaters. They go on the south side of your roof and heat water with sunlight. Unfortunately they won't work in Cleveland, not enough sun except in August, and they actually cool the water during winter months.

I've also checked into converting the whole house to solar/battery. Most appliances can be converted to DC pretty easily. The ones that have a motor are a different story. They need the motor replaced or you have to use one of those highly ineffecient AC inverters. But again, there isn't enough sun to have one in the Cleveland area to be totally independant from convential electric.

And Gam, I won't take a cheap shot about solar working from "dusk till dawn", which is night. I know you meant "Dawn till dusk".

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:14 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

In my personal point of view, people are OVER MEDICATED to begin with

X2

Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:11 PM on j-body.org

I lived 10 miles away from a nuclear power plant for 15 years, until it was decommissioned. I never felt unsafe being near it, I even toured it. I suppose that there some danger with nuclear power, but I think the benefits outweigh the risks. Chernobyl was a case of disregard for even basic safety protocols. There were many times they could have shut it down but didn't try until it was too late.

IamRascal wrote:

Also my view has always been that medication for the perceived problem of ADHD, ADD, etc..... Is a cop out. I've had ADD all my life and I've never taken medication for it. I'm successfull in my career and enjoy my life.

I totally agree, if I was a kid today they're probably say I had ADD just because I was an active child. I think parents need to step up and take some responsibility for the child they raised instead of medicating them. Every medicine has side effects, and every one has risks. I am amazed by all of the things that are made by drug companies but I wonder if all they are selling us is addiction?

You can't outrun the radio.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:24 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:
Gam(kilted and proud) wrote:Okay, Solar works from dusk till dawn (basically if it's pitch black, it won't work..

I've checked into the solar water heaters. They go on the south side of your roof and heat water with sunlight. Unfortunately they won't work in Cleveland, not enough sun except in August, and they actually cool the water during winter months.

I've also checked into converting the whole house to solar/battery. Most appliances can be converted to DC pretty easily. The ones that have a motor are a different story. They need the motor replaced or you have to use one of those highly ineffecient AC inverters. But again, there isn't enough sun to have one in the Cleveland area to be totally independant from convential electric.

And Gam, I won't take a cheap shot about solar working from "dusk till dawn", which is night. I know you meant "Dawn till dusk".

Thanks I must have been thinking of the movie or something.

And the solar water heaters aren't practical for home use usually (I live in Canada, I know cold ), but I was talking about photo electric cells primarily. True, you need to really conserve power and be acutely aware of the parasitic drain from your appliances, but you can run off the grid with the newer high efficiency photo-voltaic cells. It just takes a lot more of them.

My parents' cottage has a wind-generator and a photocell combination for power, and it works without a problem. They do use propane for the water heater and refridgerator/freezer, but one tank will do them for 3 years of cottage seasons. There's no one magic bullet, but, if you're careful, you can get by nicely.

IF you think about it, if you yourself were the only one trying to keep your house green by using these methods, it wouldn't be really beneficial overall, but if everyone did it (even by switching to CF lightbulbs), it'd make it easier on everyone.

(Sorry to skew off topic BTW.)

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:28 AM on j-body.org
I think that by having enough intelligence to develop sophisticated technology, but not having enough intelligence to know how to use it proerly is providing someone with a great deal of entertainment.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:04 PM on j-body.org
Dont sweat it.

Thanks to the idiots at BushCo we are all going to be breathing high levels of radioactive depleted uranium dust for the next several million years.

whats a little more radiation or poloution crap on top?

Rice.....Part of a balanced Pontiac diet.
Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:29 AM on j-body.org
^ ^ ^ ^ HUH ? And wht do you say that ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:38 AM on j-body.org
It was sarcasm at humankinds superb ability to royally screw things up in its quest for knowledge and to build better/stronger/faster.

Something as simple as a better bullet has irradiated the mid-east permanently (for all intents and purposes) and as sandstorms/jetstream ect stir up that DU dust, eventually the entire planet will be coated with it.

Clusty or Google the effects and spread patterns of DU if you havent already.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:45 AM on j-body.org
SunfireN2o wrote:
Quote:

In my personal point of view, people are OVER MEDICATED to begin with

X2

With regards to medication... yes people are over medicated. A lot of doctors in the US it seems would rather tell people they're depressed and put them on anti-depressants than actually try to find out what's really wrong.

Example: About 10-11 years ago, I got really really REALLY sick. Ran a temp of about 101-102 for about a week and a half, then it shot up to 104 for 9 days, then went down to 101 or so for about another week or so... before it finally started to go down. Since then, every day I wake up I've felt like I haven't slept for 2-3 days, even after sleeping for 8-12 hours. (amongst other symptoms). I can't tell you how many doctors I've seen over the years who've said either "There's nothing wrong with you" or "You're depressed"... and tried shoving anti depressants down my throat. I don't know about you, but I don't know too many people suffering from depression that always try to find the brighter side of anything bad, or who's motto is "No matter how many clouds there seem to be in the sky, the sun is still shining,... you just need to have patience and wait for the clouds to clear".

I FINALLY found a doctor that believed me that something was wrong. I mean hey, it's not normal to be THAT exhausted all the time after a full night of sleep... not to mention the other things I'd been experiencing. So, after having sleep studies done, and I don't know how many blood tests, etc... I was officially diagnosed with CFIDS... Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome.

Some doctors don't like to recognize CFIDS/CFS as a real chronic illness... and they can't accept that because as of now, they do NOT know what exactly causes it, they only know certain things that trigger it. There is no cure, once again because they do not know what exactly causes it.

I had a doctor 2-3 years ago who "wanted to help me"... and put me on this anti depressant called "Effexor XR". HIGHLY addictive... it's been compared to Heroin as far as addiction goes. You take one a day, and if you miss one dose, the "withdrawl" is horrible enough to make the happiest of people want to kill themselves. There's several class action suits going on now. Even simply decreasing your dose, the "withdrawl" is the same. A lot of Doctors arn't even aware of the horrible side effects it can cause. After seeing my old doctor and trying to tell him it wasn't helping me at all, only making me worse,... I'd tell him this, but by the time I left the office he'd have me convinced I was ok and kept me on it. I had to take myself off of it... and find a new doctor.

Keeping people drugged up all the time doesn't get anything accomplished. Some people DO need medications... but there's way too many people that do NOT need them, but are put on them anyway. What ever happened to Doctors that want to do the best for their patients?? Arn't they supposed to care about their patients well being? Arn't they supposed to LISTEN to their patient's concerns??? (Supposed being the key word)

But yeah... I think humans in general are too wrapped up in being the first to find "the new miracle cure" or "the new more efficient fuel" or whatever. While there are many benefits to it, I think greed and the need for recognition gets in the way of what SHOULD be the true goal... doing what's best for humanity and ensuring that these new "Cures" and whatnot are safe and non-destructive in nature.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:29 AM on j-body.org
DU rounds are the only thing that can penetrate DU armor. They are nessisary in combat. It's not like the rounds in my rifle are DU. The use of these rounds are restricted and only used in SOME attack choppers and SOME tanks. The sites I found in google were "green" sites. The same people who said all that garbage about the rain forest. Sorry I don't put a lot of stock in these kind of people. They are known to over exaggerate things in order to up awareness of the issues they want to push. They may have good intentions, but their politics are horrible. You won't be breathing radioactive dust any time in your lifetime, or you children, ect. Don't believe everything you read on the internet/news paper. Everything has a twist.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:05 PM on j-body.org
RaiLS wrote:DU rounds are the only thing that can penetrate DU armor. They are nessisary in combat. It's not like the rounds in my rifle are DU. The use of these rounds are restricted and only used in SOME attack choppers and SOME tanks. The sites I found in google were "green" sites. The same people who said all that garbage about the rain forest. Sorry I don't put a lot of stock in these kind of people. They are known to over exaggerate things in order to up awareness of the issues they want to push. They may have good intentions, but their politics are horrible. You won't be breathing radioactive dust any time in your lifetime, or you children, ect. Don't believe everything you read on the internet/news paper. Everything has a twist.

http://www.rense.com/general69/soar.htm

Just about says it all.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:11 PM on j-body.org
OK, I am not going to flame you, nor will I get into a flame war with anyone, but your article does not site any resource. Not one specific study, supplies not one tid bit of data. It also seems very bias, IMHO. If you want to believe that, go right ahead. You have the right to. I just think it's "hog wash". A way for a liberal news source to but out bias information against our military. I apriciate the article though...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:40 PM on j-body.org
DU is less radioactive than cat turds. AND, you have trace amounts of depleted uranium in your body THAT HAVE BEEN THERE SINCE YOU WERE BORN.

For you to actually get sick from DU, you would more than likely be IN a DU armored tank when it was struck by a DU round....And if you were in that situation, DU poisoning is your last worry.

And as for your DU dust in the jet stream theory, you have this wonderful pinnacle of evolution called a NOSE. See, the nose has these little things in them that trap particles, I mean TINY particles. I mean bacteria sized particles. They're called Cilia. They trap the particles and turn them into boogers. You then sneeze them out or pick them and eat them/collect them in a jar. They do the same for DU. You will probably NEVER unknowingly ingest weaponized DU.

I would cite my sources, but I don't think you would bother looking up an Air Force Technical Order number.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:07 PM on j-body.org
Air force has never been wrong either, hrm?

Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:33 PM on j-body.org
Would you rather me find an Army Manual that says the same? How about a Navy Technical Order? Perhaps the Marines have something on the material as well...

...But I appreciate the Sardonicism.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search