MAC VS PC!!! LETS HAVE IT OUT!!! - Page 4 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: MAC VS PC!!! LETS HAVE IT OUT!!!
Saturday, April 08, 2006 8:01 PM on j-body.org

Cable: I worked as a Mac certified Tech... and I consider the $3000 some odd I spent on that cert an utter waste of money. When it came down to it, I'd end up re-installing every bloody extension and find out the OS kernel was caked so I'd have to re-install the OS completely.

I know the issues involved with fixing a Mac, and it's not worth arsing around in the OS to fix it, if there's a problem with it, you can't pop open the registry and fix the problem once and for all, you have to fix a crack in the floor by quite literally wiping out the building.

I put a caveat on that by saying I haven't used OSX yet, but if it holds at all to anything like the previous hundred million iterations of Mac OS, I can see where it's going.

BTW, let your brother know that he's just thrown out the money on those macs... and is going to throw out even more buying a new one, when he could have actually saved money with a computer made of components from a group of manufacturers that have to compete for market share.

I've owned both, and Macs are great if you want the idiots guide to computing. I'll stick with Unbuntu/XP dual boot... and I may even get the OSX hack to see what all the fuss is about, it's nice to have the option.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 8:13 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Cable: I worked as a Mac certified Tech... and I consider the $3000 some odd I spent on that cert an utter waste of money. When it came down to it, I'd end up re-installing every bloody extension and find out the OS kernel was caked so I'd have to re-install the OS completely.

I know the issues involved with fixing a Mac, and it's not worth arsing around in the OS to fix it, if there's a problem with it, you can't pop open the registry and fix the problem once and for all, you have to fix a crack in the floor by quite literally wiping out the building.

I put a caveat on that by saying I haven't used OSX yet, but if it holds at all to anything like the previous hundred million iterations of Mac OS, I can see where it's going.

BTW, let your brother know that he's just thrown out the money on those macs... and is going to throw out even more buying a new one, when he could have actually saved money with a computer made of components from a group of manufacturers that have to compete for market share.

I've owned both, and Macs are great if you want the idiots guide to computing. I'll stick with Unbuntu/XP dual boot... and I may even get the OSX hack to see what all the fuss is about, it's nice to have the option.

OSX is totally different, the kernal is stable, the only maintence issues you have are unix file permissions sometimes getting out of whack if you have multiple user accounts. in the ~3 years I have been using OSX I have never had to reinstall. and you should know as well as I do OSX is a completely different OS compared to OS7, 8 & 9. night and day. - You gotta try it. (Asus makes most of Apples components) so I am totally comfortable with Apple hardware.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:33 AM on j-body.org
Dude you @!#$ jump around more than anyone i know. First you hate PCs then you just hate Windows, then you argue that macs are better cause there built from better parts...

When it comes down to the parts, i can build a PC with some of the best parts and still be under the price of a mac...So i dont wanna hear it anymore. Pick your battle dude..

Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:33 AM on j-body.org
So... why not use Unix and DIY for yourself rather than hope Apple got it all right?

Either way, I put the Caveat on it that I didn't know OSX. IF it's better, great... I'm still not dumping $3500 on a Mac that I get equivalent performance out of a PC for $2500.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 10:57 AM on j-body.org
Roscoe wrote:Dude you @!#$ jump around more than anyone i know. First you hate PCs then you just hate Windows, then you argue that macs are better cause there built from better parts...

When it comes down to the parts, i can build a PC with some of the best parts and still be under the price of a mac...So i dont wanna hear it anymore. Pick your battle dude..

hehe, you are so cracked out its not even funny, its not about being under the price, its about being able to easily / legally run the best OS ont he planet.

GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:So... why not use Unix and DIY for yourself rather than hope Apple got it all right?

Either way, I put the Caveat on it that I didn't know OSX. IF it's better, great... I'm still not dumping $3500 on a Mac that I get equivalent performance out of a PC for $2500.

Because Apple got it right; and then some. Using their GUI is like eating a coconut cream pie on a cloud of pure love in heaven.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 11:10 AM on j-body.org
Cable wrote:Because Apple got it right; and then some. Using their GUI is like eating a coconut cream pie on a cloud of pure love in heaven.

i prefer lemon merangue... and in bed with a hot girl. and quite frankly, mac's gui's are essentially no different than pc's. you have windows, icons, and pretty much all the same stuff. yes, i've used osx, and i still prefer xp over it. i can easily / legally use it for every single purpose i can imagine, which is more than i can say about any mac os. besides, my mouse has 5 buttons, which only makes things easier. 1 just doesn't cut it.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 2:37 PM on j-body.org
cannon fodder wrote:
Cable wrote:Because Apple got it right; and then some. Using their GUI is like eating a coconut cream pie on a cloud of pure love in heaven.

i prefer lemon merangue... and in bed with a hot girl. and quite frankly, mac's gui's are essentially no different than pc's. you have windows, icons, and pretty much all the same stuff. yes, i've used osx, and i still prefer xp over it. i can easily / legally use it for every single purpose i can imagine, which is more than i can say about any mac os. besides, my mouse has 5 buttons, which only makes things easier. 1 just doesn't cut it.

They are extremely different, sure they have icons, etc.. (osx'x icon sets are much higher resolution, thats another thing MS is stealing from them and incorporating into vista) but the functionality is totally different, OSX is totally intuitive, where windows is mostly counter-intuitive, they layout, and functionality its heads over tails better than windows, and added interface features such as spotlight, dashboard, expose, voiceover, make it even easier / more fun to use.. imo it is 20 years ahead of windows. If you havnt used it and expierenced at least spotlight, dashboard, expose you should not be posting in this thread.

just try it for a while, and you will see is all I can say, I was amazed over and over again with its usability. check out: http://www.apple.com/macosx/ they have lots of videos, and info there. there is no question that the overall usability and functionality makes windows xp look like dosshell

Sunday, April 09, 2006 2:58 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

hehe, you are so cracked out its not even funny, its not about being under the price, its about being able to easily / legally run the best OS ont he planet.

Im cracked out? You jsut changed your @!#$ point AGAIN! Pick something and stick with it dude.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 3:00 PM on j-body.org
I am touching on all the subjects that are being brought up here.

also, about the mouse thing that was mention earlier, Apple makes a 3 button mouse with 2 way scrolling, AND my 7 button mouse works just fine in OSX...

any other mis information anyone needs cleared up??

Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:19 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

I am touching on all the subjects that are being brought up here.

Your very welcome to do that. Unfortunettly you havnt just argued a bunch of different sides. Everytime someone brings up and argument, you refute it by changing your reason for not likeing a PC.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:46 PM on j-body.org
cable wrote:hehe, you are so cracked out its not even funny, its not about being under the price, its about being able to easily / legally run the best OS ont he planet.

But you said

Quote:

oh yes, I forgot Apple uses the most efficient / powerfull processors......

Quote:

Also you get what you pay for, price out a machine with a decent PSU, a nice antec case, and Asus components, Delphi designed water cooling, and you will be closer to Apple hardware quality...

Quote:

Who makes Apple's laptop components; Asus.

Quote:

What do you guys think of Acer? I mean I know Dell uses substandard batteries, parts, and manufacturing processes, but Acer seems pretty good. Still if you have the money, an Asus is the way I would go, If I didnt have the money for an Apple that is.

You also said this..leaning twords your love for pc's but hatred for windows

Quote:

You cant front!, its not about Macs vs. PCs; I love PCs,

Quote:

Spyware, Malware, and Viruses love windows. Therefore I hate windows..

Quote:

hey, I want a dual core cpu, and 2 $800 video cards just like the next guy, but I refuse to run an OS as bad as windows...

Quote:

nope, jsut hate Windows... I like PCs.

Quote:

There is one point I am trying to get accross; 'Windows Absolutly is horrible all the way around' (no one who is a friend should suggest it, it is such a nightmare to try to maintain its not even funny). Nothing you can say, or any eXPierence you have had can change these facts.

If you hate windows, why do you keep arguing that you can run it on a mac...

Quote:

You will be able to run windwos on the macbook pro, and supposedly when 10.5 comes out you will be able to dual boot and/or run windows apps within OSX.

Monday, April 10, 2006 8:31 AM on j-body.org
Cable wrote:^^^ Thats great, shows how clueless even most techs are about Macs... 1st they choose not to educate themselves on the most basic of operations so they dont know how to fix the most basic of problems. and second, they are too dence to realize that its still just a computer, with a hard drive, a cpu, a cd rom, a power supply, etc, they are diagnosed and repaired the same way as a PC.

I dont know who is more unaware, the cartoonist that made the cartoon, or the audience he is presenting it to.

holy @!#$ its a joke dude, your additude would be enough to make me never want a mac...just in frear of becoming this big of a douche....yes i've used a mac, only for video editing (final cut 5 or final cut pro or somthing like that) and it was...ok i guess, id rather have my windows operating pc tho

Monday, April 10, 2006 8:47 AM on j-body.org
yes i concur, cable is a douche bag

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:01 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

OSX is totally intuitive, where windows is mostly counter-intuitive,

By who's standards? Intuitivity is not only relative, but it's only really ment for people who don't know anything that are trying to jump into. There are people that find mac OS's totally bass-ackwards, and like windows, and there are those that love Mac OS's, and hate windows.

again....choose your poison. Macs are good for somethings, not for others. Their is no one holy grail of computing.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, April 10, 2006 9:08 AM on j-body.org
Give Cable some time to reply guys, he had to re install OSX, true story.

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:24 AM on j-body.org
Cable: You're being argumentative, you're reversing your own points. If you BELIEVE it's better.. fine. Proving it, you're not doing so well on.

I can already dual boot (okay... there's about a million different possible configurations you can use with Partition Magic. MAximum PC had a guy about 4-5 years ago with 54 different Operating systems on his PC) and have been since about 1995. OSX is about 11 years behind that curve

Rat: No doot eh? How about them habs?

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:34 AM on j-body.org
I don't think the habs like OSX either. (On topic disclaimer) I'm enjoying the
fact that they will likely make playoffs, and Leafs aren't. After round 1, I'm not
super hopeful if they have to face Ottawa, my 2nd fav team. They showed
enough grit to come from way behind, and get in the top 8.

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:53 AM on j-body.org
Roscoe wrote:

thats great, worked for several tech/repair/internet companys in my time, they ALL had about the same feeling towards macs when they came in.

Monday, April 10, 2006 10:15 AM on j-body.org
Big Boi -Coloradojbody.org- wrote:thats great, worked for several tech/repair/internet companys in my time, they ALL had about the same feeling towards macs when they came in.

that's why people like me - those who enjoy working on them - exist. we do it so you don't have to.

in a situation like mine - hospital, where a LOT of our radiology folks are Mac people - it's job security.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

MS Walk April 21 - I HIT MY GOAL!!! thanks to those of you who have supported me!
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 9:12 AM on j-body.org
Roscoe wrote:

Quote:

There is one point I am trying to get accross; 'Windows Absolutly is horrible all the way around' (no one who is a friend should suggest it, it is such a nightmare to try to maintain its not even funny). Nothing you can say, or any eXPierence you have had can change these facts.

If you hate windows, why do you keep arguing that you can run it on a mac...

Quote:

You will be able to run windwos on the macbook pro, and supposedly when 10.5 comes out you will be able to dual boot and/or run windows apps within OSX.

I stand by ALL my comments.

Nobody "wants" to run Windows, but they do want to run certain Windows-only apps. Instead of waiting until never for apps like AutoCAD to come to Mac OS X, running Windows apps on a Mac is the next best thing. We've learned how to survive and thrive with 100% Microsoft-free Macs, but architects and many others who wanted Macs, but were stuck with an app or two that was critical for their work now have the entry into Macintosh that they needed. That is a good thing. Plus, the more Window-only folks who get to try Mac OS X and the excellent Mac-only apps and suites like iLife, the better it will be for Apple. Many who think the need Windows, we call it the Windows "insecurity blanket," will now be able to consider a Mac for their next PC. That can only help Apple to ultimately "embrace and extinguish."

GAM; its not about the bootloader, or being able to run hundreds of oses, ... its the OS.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 9:32 AM on j-body.org
Well im glad you stand by all your statements. But that was my point in the first place...they dont all work out together....cause you argue different things in each statement.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:06 AM on j-body.org
They do all work together... what is contridictory?

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 5:59 PM on j-body.org
Cable wrote:oh yes, I forgot Apple uses the most efficient / powerfull processors......
So that must be why Apple contracted with Intel, because Apple really just wants less efficient / less powerful processors in their machines.

Also it has been proven that viruses can be(have been) made for OSX. Sure the only known ones (so far) require user action to become infected. Guess what?! So do nearly all the ones for windows!

I also like how microsoft is going to STEAL the idea of higher resolution icons. Kinda like how car makers all stole the original idea to make more powerful automobiles. I mean its not like improving visual quality in new products in COMMON @!#$ING SENSE.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:14 PM on j-body.org
I work for a tech support company that hands out Mac's and PC's to online digital academy students. You know what ratio of calls we get are about mac's? 99%. We have people begging for windows computers because they hate their macintosh systems. We give them a Dell and never hear from them again.

Also, the integration of OS9 into OSX is faulty at best. Most times the applications that use OS9 don't even start, sometimes you can't get OS9 to start within OSX at all because of a silly system error that demands you restart your computer.

And don't ask me about the COUNTLESS computers I've had to swap out because the damn thing loses it's OS and boots to a folder with a question mark blinking on it. Or it simply won't turn on at all.

You know how many windows computers have had this problem? Not many, I can tell you that. The worst problem we have with the Dell windows computers is the motherboard going bad. And that's a manufacturing bug from the maker of the MB.

Tell you what, lets see some benchmarks for similarly equipped MAC and WINDOWS machines. Get these before replying with "OMG MAC IS TEH SO MUCH BETTER U R A MORON AND I AM SMART" etc etc..

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 7:35 AM on j-body.org
The intel core duo is the worlds most efficient / powerful cpu. (or was that a joke too ?) so jokes are things that are just simply not true?? and I'm the one without a sence of humor??? HAHAHAAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Also there are 0 (Zero) mac OSX viruses. (there have been 0 infections over the 5+ years OSX has been in use) (The hacker community WANTS to @!#$ OSX up so bad its not even funny - they are failing)

also; randonguy; it sounds like you havnt used a mac in about 4 years.. NO ONE uses OS9 except some recording artists, and grandmas, and trust me they are booting directly into OS9 not trying to emulate it.

Also the benchmarks; I am so tired of doing google searches for people... do your own.. I'll give you some hints, PCmag, gearlog, and zdnet did some tests / reviews, and in 2 out of 3 tests the Apple hardware is beating the lenovo, dell, acer, etc hardware. on in the 1/3 test it is dead on head to head with the competition.

Yeah, high res icons kinda are common sence.. thats WHY APPLE STARTED USING THEM FIVE YEARS AGO.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search