MAC VS PC!!! LETS HAVE IT OUT!!! - Page 9 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: MAC VS PC!!! LETS HAVE IT OUT!!!
Saturday, August 05, 2006 5:01 PM on j-body.org
The part where I said Transmetta is coming up short so I'm not sure about Caruso. That would be the part where it is obvious that I know Transmetta is the fab. Maybe you should read and absorb.

I also stated that the 80% CPU market share was BEFORE Apple started using Intel chips. Again, you read and Absorb.

I have used every version of Windows ever that includes Pre 3.1. Like I said I have been doing this for a long time. I have used the last 4 or so generations of Mac OS, plus whatever it was on the old Allple IIe, the Mac classic, etc. I have used Linus from 3 or 4 distis, Free BSD, Amiga Workbench (the best Gui based OS ever), ICON, DOS (MS and Cadera, many versions), BeOS, Sun Unix, HP unix, Scolaris (SCO) unix. Umm, I programmed machine code and even done some straight binary coding for machines. I was a Robotics and Process control engineer in the late 80s and early 90s, then I gotr away from tech for about 3 years only to come back into it and help form a company that now does over 6 million a year on 13 people. I do know what I'm talking about. I sold the first DEC AlPHa in Ontario and had to deal with the US dept. of Sate when I did it because the end user was Czech. I sold the first fax modem to Oman (they were banned there and the first one went to the Sultanate, I have the thank you letter to prove it).

Why do I say Windows machines are better? Because that allows maximum data portability, integration and more seemless office environments. That's where machines are used the most and the users have the lowest skill. They need something quick and easy. Windows fits the bill. Windows is not the best OS, but it is the best choice. Someday you'll get it.

Mac are not better than PCs (although their latest OS is), they are basically the same machine with a much higher price tag. You take to Cavis, dress one up like a corvette and sell it at Corvette pricing. Keeping in mind that they are both Cavis, which do you buy? That's right, the same car for less money. Anyone with a brain can figure that out.

PS: I put in my post that I did nothing special to protect my PC and have never had a virus. "All my precautions" are diddly squat.

Think about this.. If you have your way, and everyone did buy a Mac. The Mac users would suffer terribly as there is less development in virus and trogen protection. Your doors are wide open, all you need is someone to walk through. If everyone had a Mac, every hacker would have a new, fresh and vulnerable target.

PAX

Saturday, August 05, 2006 9:50 PM on j-body.org
The thing is, say things were reversed.

Say for the longest time PC's used OSX and Mac's used Windows. Say both products had the same market share they have now, just reversed.

Tell me which one would have more security problems?

Hint: Your first instinct is, in all likelyhood, wrong.

Saturday, August 05, 2006 10:41 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:Well, without getting into all the technical stuff, your PC should not have been affected either.

There are reasons, but without getting into all the technical stuff, suffice to say that INTEL based PCs have about 80% market share, then comes AMD, Mac, Caruso, PowerPC, Alfa, and all the rest. To say that Mac doesn't quite have 15% market share would be like calling someone who is 6ft tall and 80lbs kinda skinny

It's not even close, and there are reasons.

PAX

So if there are a million cavaliers for every Ferrari Enzo, does that make the Cavalier better?

Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:22 AM on j-body.org
You guys make my freaking head hurt. Wow, you all know whole bunches about computers. I have no idea what I am reading.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 5:41 AM on j-body.org
deuce_coupe_cavy wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:Well, without getting into all the technical stuff, your PC should not have been affected either.

There are reasons, but without getting into all the technical stuff, suffice to say that INTEL based PCs have about 80% market share, then comes AMD, Mac, Caruso, PowerPC, Alfa, and all the rest. To say that Mac doesn't quite have 15% market share would be like calling someone who is 6ft tall and 80lbs kinda skinny

It's not even close, and there are reasons.

PAX

So if there are a million cavaliers for every Ferrari Enzo, does that make the Cavalier better?

No, but that's not what we are talking about. The price delta is under $1000 so if Macs were actually better overall machines, they would have higher overall sales. You are talking about a delta of hundreds of thousands. Heck, I bet stone castles are far superior to regular homes (afterall they remain standing for hundreds and hundreds of years) but people don't build them because they can't afford to. That is not the case with the Mac, it is affordable (if over priced).

Stop with your elitist crap, Macs are simply computers, same as a PC. They have a CPU, memory bus, sytem bus, either channel hub or bridged I/O, etc. The same as any other machine. Yes they are well built, so they should be compared to higher end PCs built by reputable dealers, not el-chepo crap like many sell, but still. If the manufacturer values quality over price, an equivalent PC is just that, the same, equivalent. The difference is the OS (yes there are hardware differences, but not enough to consider it a different animal), and Windows comes out on top because of sheer volume.

Let me put it this way. You have your Enzo and a cavi. Both need a break job and a fuel pump, you must have a car to drive by the end of the day.. Now which one will you choose?

PAX
Sunday, August 06, 2006 10:43 AM on j-body.org
Dude, you dont know the difference between a fab and a core family. and you cant spell.

and I am sure they have sold more cavaliers than enzos, does that make the cavalier better?!??

Maximum data portability? you must be talking about how you have to install applications on windows before you can use the associated files? where on a mac it just works out of the box.. you got it backwards jack, if you had really *used osx you know know better...

and macs are not obscure, ther are millions of them online, so therefore your security via obscurity BS is just that. look it up.

OSX, is better in everyway imo. Every fascet, every possibly situation you could come up with I would rather be on a mac.

You guys are crazy to 'try' to stick with windows, its already too much of a pain, why put yourself thru it? Defending Windows over mac is a sign of mental illness.

you hit the nail right on the head when you said: "Mac are not better than PCs (although their latest OS is),"

and what do you need to run their latest OS? an Apple Mac. so now wich is better? I'm confused again..

Sunday, August 06, 2006 7:12 PM on j-body.org
OSX = Tweaked BSD... *nix > JOO!

OSX with hacks will run on a normal x86 system.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, August 07, 2006 6:27 AM on j-body.org
I certainly do know the difference between a fab and a core family. A fab being a factory and all, kinda hard to confuse the two.

Yup full of type-os and spelling errors. Don't know many engineers do you? I'm not proud of it, but I bet my boolean is better than yours. I bet I know what Gallium Arcinide is for and you don't. So who cares? We all have strong points and weak points.

Maximum data portability as in the ease of transferring and sharing data. I have a customer right now that is having trouble just getting a decent backup system (that can handle terrabytes) because convensional systems won't allow "special characters" in file names. Because of that, that have to have a seperate Mac partition on the NAS and of course that leads to organizational headaches. Not all of their files can reside in the same index, making it so any archival search must be run twice. Thanks Apple, you just made me some more money and I didn't sell a single piece of your gimmicky, colourful but not so functional hardware.

You don't seem to grasp that in essence all computing systems are the same. You do not need a Mac to run OSx, you need a particular set of firmware, the hardware all performs basically the same tasks, with some minor variations.

Another reason to go with PCs.. Uptime. In the event of a failure (happs to all computing hardware, macs included) an Intel based server can be up and running (providing it actually went down, we build redundancy into our systems) in 4 hours or less in most instances. The longest anyone ever has to wait for a server part is 24 hours. In most cases the server will remain running but in a reduced capasity, and for our customers, we will have someone dispatched in 15 minutes from the call. Let me see you get that kind of service out of a Mac reseller. Could they even do it? Does Aplle offer their dealers 24/7 support, and same day shipping on all RMA issues with no questions asked? Intel does (to Intel Channel Premiers).

PAX
Monday, August 07, 2006 6:30 PM on j-body.org
from MDN today:

Microsoft’s oft-delayed, much-pared-down Windows Vista hacked at Black Hat

Monday, August 07, 2006 - 06:08 PM EDT

"While Microsoft talked up Windows Vista security at Black Hat, a researcher in another room demonstrated how to hack the operating system," Joris Evers reports for CNET News.com.

"Evers reportsJoanna Rutkowska, a Polish researcher at Singapore-based Coseinc, showed that it is possible to bypass security measures in Vista that should prevent unsigned code from running," Evers reports. "And in a second part of her talk, Rutkowska explained how it is possible to use virtualization technology to make malicious code undetectable, in the same way a rootkit does. She code-named this malicious software Blue Pill."

Full article here.

MacDailyNews Take: If you're a Windows-only PC user who stumbled here by accident, forget about the Blue Pill. It's time to pop a Red Pill, put your PC box up for sale on eBay, andGet a Mac. Life's way too short and, believe it or not, you don't need Microsoft for anything.

------

all new goodies today, can you say 4 pci x16 slots?

I suggest you all watch the keynote speech the comparisons to vista are funny : http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/aug_2006/event/index.html

and visit the leopard site: (watch the vids) (click the icons) http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

and visit the Mac Pro site: http://www.apple.com/macpro/

oh yah new xserve too

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:34 AM on j-body.org
Happens to everyone if the hacker is determined enough. The question should you (or I) worry? What have I got that they want? Virtually nothing.

Anyway

OSX hacked in less than 30 minutes

PAX
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:24 AM on j-body.org
Yah but try to hack it without a freakin xploitable server service running, and in stealth mode.

good luck

everyone needs to check out Time Machine... http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html

There's your client's backup solution for his macs.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:31 AM on j-body.org
Before you start back-tracking, Nick, the exploits are not published or documented, and therefore, still exploitable. It is also possible that this circumvents hardening patches.

Not much was explained, so assuming that it was this or that configuration (ie, other than server which was the only thing explained) is folly.

OSX, like everything else, has chinks in the armor.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:13 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Before you start back-tracking, Nick, the exploits are not published or documented, and therefore, still exploitable. It is also possible that this circumvents hardening patches.

Not much was explained, so assuming that it was this or that configuration (ie, other than server which was the only thing explained) is folly.

OSX, like everything else, has chinks in the armor.

So what you're saying is that it may have not even happened? - I see no *REAL evidence to the contrary.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 7:48 PM on j-body.org
If it didn't happen it couldn't be verified, and the server would still be up.

Apparently it happened, and most ZD net stories mention the names of people involved, in this case, all but the person that did the actual hack was named. That would make it a little easier for most to discern this from say, a story on The Onion.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:39 PM on j-body.org
Cable wrote:Yah but try to hack it without a freakin xploitable server service running, and in stealth mode.

good luck

everyone needs to check out Time Machine... http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html

There's your client's backup solution for his macs.

Like most businesses, the Mac aree a small portion of their machines, they need something more versitile.

There is no easy answer, but we do have a solution, thanks anyway.

PAX
Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:28 AM on j-body.org
Just an important tid bit for those of us that are "OS limited"

--

US Department of Homeland Security: patch Windows now or risk complete system compromise

Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:15 AM EDT

"The US Department of Homeland Security is urging users of the Windows Operating System to apply security patches released by the company this week as quickly as possible," Louisa Hearn reports for The Sydney Morning Herald.

"Flaws in desktop applications like Windows are being increasingly used to launch security attacks and Microsoft sends out monthly patch updates," Hearn reports. "However one of the recently discovered flaws in its operating system has attracted special attention from the DHS and other security organisations because of the widespread damage it could cause to IT systems."

"'Attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in operating systems routinely occur within 24 hours of the release of a security patch. This vulnerability could impact government systems, private industry and critical infrastructure, as well as individual and home users,' the DHS warned," Hearn reports.

Hearn reports, "The MS06-040 server service vulnerability is considered the most 'critical' of the security bulletins said anti-virus company, Symantec, because the possibility for a "widespread worm that may leverage this vulnerability is high" and could result in a complete system compromise."

Full article with here.

MacDailyNews Take: So, if you're unfortunate enough to have to run Windows, patch that turd. Again. Windows is a cancer on personal computing and the choice to "standardize" on Windows was one of the worst mistakes ever made en masse. Thankfully, that mistake can easily be corrected: Get a Mac.

http://macdailynews.com/

--

- And Yes GAM you can run OSx on most any PC, that would give you bad karma though, for every h4xxord OSX PC you have, you need one real Apple Mac to balance it out.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 5:48 PM on j-body.org
HAHAHAHA

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:51 PM on j-body.org
Cable wrote:from MDN today:

Microsoft’s oft-delayed, much-pared-down Windows Vista hacked at Black Hat

Monday, August 07, 2006 - 06:08 PM EDT

"While Microsoft talked up Windows Vista security at Black Hat, a researcher in another room demonstrated how to hack the operating system," Joris Evers reports for CNET News.com.

"Evers reportsJoanna Rutkowska, a Polish researcher at Singapore-based Coseinc, showed that it is possible to bypass security measures in Vista that should prevent unsigned code from running," Evers reports. "And in a second part of her talk, Rutkowska explained how it is possible to use virtualization technology to make malicious code undetectable, in the same way a rootkit does. She code-named this malicious software Blue Pill."

Full article here.

MacDailyNews Take: If you're a Windows-only PC user who stumbled here by accident, forget about the Blue Pill. It's time to pop a Red Pill, put your PC box up for sale on eBay, andGet a Mac. Life's way too short and, believe it or not, you don't need Microsoft for anything.

------

all new goodies today, can you say 4 pci x16 slots?

I suggest you all watch the keynote speech the comparisons to vista are funny : http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/aug_2006/event/index.html

and visit the leopard site: (watch the vids) (click the icons) http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

and visit the Mac Pro site: http://www.apple.com/macpro/

oh yah new xserve too

WOW NO WAY!!!! Some of the best hackers and security teams in the world cracked into Vista! They did exzactly what microsoft wanted them to do. I dont remeber microsoft talking up how great it was now. Every artical i have read was that they want to put it our free of security holes, which is why they realeased it into the wild at blackhat..So that people WOULD HACK IT! And they could fix the problems. Check my other post in OT.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:55 PM on j-body.org
Nick:

I'll flog the WOZ and Jobs to start shipping the decals to Gateway and Dell.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 7:42 PM on j-body.org
of course we all know what makes MAC truely better than PC... WIDGETS!!! lol

Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:06 PM on j-body.org
One of the major differences between mac and pc is the users. Mac people tend to be more enamored with their computer, I know people who have named them!

Pc users tend to view their puter as a tool to accomplish a task, Mac users view them as a family pet.

Both have issues, and having dealt with trying to run even a basic raid on multi-hard drive servers can be a pain. My specific situation was with designers who could care less about file name length or "pc--illegal" characters. Had to run a beta os on our snap servers to aviod losing 5 years worth of archived files. Cross-platforming files was an issue because on a Mac you don't need file extensions (OS9 and older). The file has it's creator embedded in so it knows it's a photoshop file or whatever. Caused many phone calls when transferring to a PC pre--press house with 20+ images linked to a freehand file...

Besides the virus/trojan issues, PC's seem to have a more clunky mouse tracking than Macs. It's fine for desktop work, but for detailed design work it just never got the job done. We demo'ed a top of the line Dell last year with optical mouse and it still felt like using an axe compaired to a scalpel for a Mac.

Compairing the two is like compairing diesel to gasoline. They both do the same thing but in different ways with different weaknesses. And they both suck.

If computers and the internet came before TV, we would marvel at the quick load time for TV channels and how smooth the streaming video looks.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto

Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:17 PM on j-body.org
The whole cable/satellite pay-for-play idea would be laughed at as well.

Monday, September 04, 2006 4:28 AM on j-body.org
You must specify if you want a high resolution mouse. They can be had and work quite well. As k the CAD guys in your neighbourhood. I have seen commecially available 3200dpi mouses, I bet you can get even better if you shop the engineering firms.

PAX
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:42 AM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:One of the major differences between mac and pc is the users. Mac people tend to be more enamored with their computer, I know people who have named them!

I name my Macs after Transformers.. I am currently using a Power Mac named 'soundwave'. My ibook was named grimlock.. I bought it second hand, and the guy before me named it grimlock.

I do see the mac as more than just a computer, and definatly more than a PC could ever be for our family.

Hahahaha wrote:You must specify if you want a high resolution mouse. They can be had and work quite well. As k the CAD guys in your neighbourhood. I have seen commecially available 3200dpi mouses, I bet you can get even better if you shop the engineering firms.

PAX

I dont think he's talking about hardware, (you can use any USB mouse on a mac btw) I think he means the way the OS inturmets the tracking, use the same mouse, zoom in, and try it for yourself, OSX seems more smooth and controlled.

Similiar to the way 2000 felt when compared to 98, but even more so.

New Products coming Sept 12th..

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:40 AM on j-body.org

Sept 12th - 16th

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search