South Park & Religion - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
South Park & Religion
Saturday, April 15, 2006 10:06 PM on j-body.org
I'm sure most of may know how many South Park shows have been very controversial, and it continued during these past two episodes. But my question is this - in general, what is the big deal with poking fun at religions? Apparently, the catholic community is infuriated about the last SP episode where Americans, GW Bush, and Jesus were defecating all over each other at the end of the episode. I found it hilarious, but apparently some people were really disturbed by it. Also, it brought up the Mohammed issue - Comedy Central actually censored SP from showing a picture of Mohammed.

So, is this really crossing the line? Or are religious followers blowing this out of proportion? Political correctness strikes again?

I think people need to lighten up a lot. I hold my own beliefs about controversial things, and if my view is mocked at in a cartoon, big deal. And it has happened. But I don't let it piss me off. It is a bit disturbing when everyone has to find something to bitch about as being politically insensitive to one's beliefs. Comeon! This isn't some fairytale-story life. Get used to it. Am I just too jaded to see what is inherently wrong here?

Re: South Park & Religion
Saturday, April 15, 2006 10:30 PM on j-body.org
I dont think there being PC. I mean they are not just talking about someone elses religion but they are stright up bashing it and making a mockery out of it. And i see no reason that some people shouldnt be upset.

HOWEVER

They way i see it, they say things that most people dont dare to say. And they pick on everyone and everything not just one person or religon. I personally Love southpark and what they do. I havnt missed an episode in two years. They have picked on my beliefs many times and i just laugh my ass off. But like i said some people do get offended and i dont see why they shouldnt.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 5:25 AM on j-body.org
welcome to 1997. they've been bashing everyone and anyone they can for almost a decade.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

MS Walk April 21 - I HIT MY GOAL!!! thanks to those of you who have supported me!
Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:00 AM on j-body.org
I'm a Catholic and I had no problem with last weeks South Park, except that Comedy Central wimped out on showing Mohammad. CC let Matt & Trey prove the very point theat they wanted to prove, that everyone else is OK to make fun of except for muslims. Funny how a supposed "non-violent" religion has the whole world in fear of what they might do.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 9:51 AM on j-body.org
lilbit01 wrote:welcome to 1997. they've been bashing everyone and anyone they can for almost a decade.

Welcome to 400 years ago. Court fools have been making light of religious dogma for ages.

The thing about Islam is that they don't make, see or show images of the prophet Mohammed. That's part of their religious dogma, and they want to avoid the whole danish cartoon thing. If people get offended, that's life, if they see a Jew, a Catholic and a fat aethist child in the making light of their religion... well, lets just say that I don't think Comedy Central wants to see their products made into pariahs anywhere.

Comedy Central wasn't being PC, more respectful of the religion. There is such a thing as too far. (you wouldn't see Jesus bending Mary over a manger and sodomising her... not on a TV show at any rate)

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 11:44 PM on j-body.org
Not unless the TV show was..."The Aristocrats", and yes, i would watch it.

Let me put it this way...if i have to put up with every limpdick out there asking me if i'm a juggles friendly wizard or where my golden snitch is, then the mulsims have to put up with people making a mockery of their religion.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, April 17, 2006 12:00 AM on j-body.org
ahhhh.........freedom of speech.....................if you are offended..don't watch it! Geeze!! If everyone was forced to watch it then it would be a different story.
Monday, April 17, 2006 12:34 AM on j-body.org
Some people are pussies who cant take a joke.

Next question?

Hookah Hog and Hookah Whore TShirts! Presale discount! Click here for more details!
Monday, April 17, 2006 8:28 AM on j-body.org
I think the creators are going a bit nuts with all of this ever since Issac Hayes quit over the "Scientology" episode. He had no problem ripping on ever other religion but when it came to his own he became a big hypocrit.

They have ripped on everyone, and so they should. It seems to me that South Park has done a pretty good job of showing us just how stupid things can get when taken to the extreme. We need those reminders once in a while. A good laugh never hurt either.

If we can't laugh at ourselves, what can we laugh at?

PAX
Monday, April 17, 2006 8:33 AM on j-body.org
South Park is my religion.....

seriously though, there is no controvercy, we live in a country where we have the freedom of speech, press, etc.... If you get butt hurt over it, you dont have to watch it

Monday, April 17, 2006 8:40 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

I think the creators are going a bit nuts with all of this ever since Issac Hayes quit over the "Scientology" episode. He had no problem ripping on ever other religion but when it came to his own he became a big hypocrit.

They have ripped on everyone, and so they should. It seems to me that South Park has done a pretty good job of showing us just how stupid things can get when taken to the extreme. We need those reminders once in a while. A good laugh never hurt either.

DINGDINGDINGDING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say

Monday, April 17, 2006 10:25 AM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:

PAX

Canadians!!!!!

Monday, April 17, 2006 10:58 AM on j-body.org
Jesus and Mohammed are symbols of a belief that people feel strongly about. To mock them is like pissing all over their belief system. It's like how people react when people burn the American flag. People will say "Oh it's just a piece of fabric" or "It's just a joke", but many people (and even some on this board) will get offended.

And no, I'm not religious and I don't care what people say about any religion, I'm just offering an explanation.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Monday, April 17, 2006 11:29 AM on j-body.org
zero wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:

PAX

Canadians!!!!!

Seeing as I am Camadian, I can kill two birds with one stone... So-to-speak.

PAX
Monday, April 17, 2006 11:52 AM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:Jesus and Mohammed are symbols of a belief that people feel strongly about. To mock them is like pissing all over their belief system. It's like how people react when people burn the American flag. People will say "Oh it's just a piece of fabric" or "It's just a joke", but many people (and even some on this board) will get offended.

And no, I'm not religious and I don't care what people say about any religion, I'm just offering an explanation.

Thanks man thats what im trying to say. IM not offended. But i can see why people are...

Monday, April 17, 2006 12:12 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:
zero wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:

PAX

Canadians!!!!!

Seeing as I am Canadian, I can kill two birds with one stone... So-to-speak.

PAX

Seeing as how you messed up the spelling of the country, I'll fix that for ya

And wouldn't you be doing laughing at yourself if you were laughing at Canadians?

I would be too, but that's beside the point

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, April 17, 2006 12:43 PM on j-body.org
I think the people that get offended need to be offended.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Monday, April 17, 2006 1:13 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:
zero wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:

PAX

Canadians!!!!!

Seeing as I am Canadian, I can kill two birds with one stone... So-to-speak.

PAX

Seeing as how you messed up the spelling of the country, I'll fix that for ya

And wouldn't you be doing laughing at yourself if you were laughing at Canadians?

I would be too, but that's beside the point

Thanks for correcting my TYPE-O

Umm, the two birds with one stone part was supposed to acknowledge the fact that I'd be laughing at myself AND Canadians in one go... Yes.

PAX
Monday, April 17, 2006 4:03 PM on j-body.org
Ehh, Right now the only canadians i'm laughing at are the Kelowna Rockets (sorry Graden). I though for sure they would have gone the distance against the Everett Silvertips.

Anyhow, let me elaborate on my statement of "some people need to be offended."

This world is a big place, and there are some 6-7 BILLION people here. Not everyone is going to agree on even the most core-funtion of things--specifically the explanation for the cause, and untimate destruction of everything (can also be rewritten in a satirical sense as "we can never agree on which invisible man to believe in").

Such is life--and anything that is a very opinionated topic.

Part of this phenominon that is "organized religion" means that there will be people out there that not only beliecve different, but will also believe contrary to what you believe. Further, the very nature of faith in and of itself (faith in whatever, not a specific faith) leave a lot open for satire, and jibing humor.

Which isn't a bad thing. Humor of that sort is bourne of the bull@!#$ of organizing a religion. There is goign to be bull@!#$ in your religion, and really, it won't matter whether it's organized or not--someone will spot, smell, and ultimately make cracks at the bull@!#$ that is your religion (even my own).

That humor is what keeps the bull@!#$ level down to an acceptable level. After all, do you think catholic priests will be letting the pćdophilic priests off really easy right now?

Plus, humor is a way to cope, and as hahaha so eloquently put it--if we can't laugh at ourselves, then who can we laugh at?

The sad part is, that a lot of satire and stereotye is based in fact. To wit--there wouldn't be all the pćdophile priest jokes out there if there weren't pćdophle preists to begin with. There wouldn't be all the muslim terrorists if there weren't muslim terrorist to begin with, follow the train of thought.

Thus, IMHO, if someone conveys a joke that offends you, maybe you need to be offended because somehow, the stereotype and bull@!#$ that bore that joke is something that you're perpetuating.

My $.02

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:35 PM on j-body.org
It was kinda funny when they showed the "Al-Qaida" video of people crapping all over Bush, Jesus, and pregnant teens... I think if they screwed up by censoring Muhammed because the premise of that epidsode was "you either make fun of everything or nothing at all".

When I saw the epidsode for the fisr time , I thought comedy central put that censor in there to mock the whole cenbsorship issue... I didnt think it was intentionally done by the network.

I liked the whole Family Guy spoof though although I love Family Guy too.

Friday, April 21, 2006 3:06 PM on j-body.org
The episode had deeper meaning than just bashing family guy or islam.

maybe that's just me.

Friday, April 21, 2006 6:10 PM on j-body.org
at the end of the day its just a tv show, a very opinionated tv show, but a tv show none the less. some people tend to forget that and blow it out of proportion

-Borsty
Monday, April 24, 2006 10:47 AM on j-body.org
imo people have their religions because they need the confort of a ton of people not questioning what they think is right...a large portion just being mindless sheep, so when somone questions there bealives they feel the need to attack it for security reasons....kinda a security blanket or a crutch if you will

Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:
Sorry that you aren't fond of me... I guess you seem to be a loner in that crowd bud.

...i beg to differ
Monday, April 24, 2006 10:51 AM on j-body.org
Well that's where you are wrong. I would have the same feelings on religion regardless. I feel a devine affinity.. Perhaps you cannot understand, but many are not part of a religion for the safety of a group. In fact, for myself, it is very much a personal experience. It matters not how many people are in the temple, I am alone with God.

The show... Cracks me up. I've been a fan since before it went on the air when the early web introduced me to the their first (and unaired) "Jesus vs. Frosty" episode.. Or was "Jesus vs. Santa" first.. Hmm, having 3 pilot episodes makes it tough.

PAX
Monday, April 24, 2006 11:11 AM on j-body.org
See, hahaha, you have it right.

It's so many others that have it wrong

And i believe it was Jesus vs. Santa.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search