thoughts about - Page 6 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: thoughts about
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:40 AM on j-body.org
PFT! Thats an easy one to dispel Gam as I myself have used my cell phone while on aproach to BWI airport on more then one occation. I don't care what that guy says but once your below the cloud deck I've never had a problem useing my phone. Just don't get caught by the flight attendants as they frown on useing them. It seems that Waaaaay back in the day someone thought a cell phone might screw with the planes instruments. A myth that was recently busted on Myth Busters as every type of phone they tried did not effect the plane at all. In fact I thought I had heard the FAA was considering doing away with the cell phone ban on flights within the contiental US.

Sorry but I call as I have personialy done it myself.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:52 AM on j-body.org
Nah, CRJ's are great for ummuter flights--i'd take them over a Super-80 anyday.

Never been on a 747--my flight across the atlantic was an A312--that thing was a bigger POS than what spews from a blue whale's anal orifice.

I like the 777 the best though, i must say. And for short flights a CRJ or a 737 is good.

Oh, and Bombardier also makes the commuter rail trains here in the Puget Sound Area. They are pretty nice.

And as for cellphones, i really hope they DON'T unban them. I personally like the communications blackout--that way i can read in peace...unless the bastards at Czech Airlines do something REALLY dumb like play MiB 2 on the movie screen...

the horror....

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 10:12 AM on j-body.org
lol !! So not a fan of Will Smith huh Keeper? But your right it is dificult to find piece and quiet nowadays anywhere it seems.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:47 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:PFT! Thats an easy one to dispel Gam as I myself have used my cell phone while on aproach to BWI airport on more then one occation. I don't care what that guy says but once your below the cloud deck I've never had a problem useing my phone. Just don't get caught by the flight attendants as they frown on useing them. It seems that Waaaaay back in the day someone thought a cell phone might screw with the planes instruments. A myth that was recently busted on Myth Busters as every type of phone they tried did not effect the plane at all. In fact I thought I had heard the FAA was considering doing away with the cell phone ban on flights within the contiental US.

Sorry but I call as I have personialy done it myself.

Jack: try placing a call @ 30,000 ft. on a digital phone with a -3W cellphone (most hand held digital phones). Now try doing that with 30-40 calls. Good luck. Even the Airphone records don't line up.

Here's where it gets niddly: Cell phone signals (digital and analog) are horizontally polarised (think about dropping a stone in a still pond, the waves are the same kind of idea)... they're not usable over about 12000 ft (this is with the Ionisphere's effect). Older Cellular phones that were analog and had fairly powerful transmitters (3-4W) and those messed with the communications because they were broad-spectrum, current gen phones (ca. 2001) could flip between a GSM1900/TDMA/CDMA/Analog network, in the even that they were not able to reach a Digital network, they'd flip over to an analog network ramp up the transmitter power to maintain the signal. IIRC, the calls were made before the flights dove to their terminal altitude, and cruising alt. is about 25-35,000 ft. which is 2x the height of the actual limit of the signal.

This ought to be detailled in the 911physics link I posted.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:10 AM on j-body.org
But the flight was lower then that when the calls were made sooooo......

Friday, April 21, 2006 2:17 PM on j-body.org
If they were @ 12000 or below, I'd believe it's possible on the waaaaay outside snowball in the upper, upper, UPPER reaches of hell-chance.

12001.. sorry. not buying it.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, April 21, 2006 2:22 PM on j-body.org
I say that, Jack, 'cause it happened. And not just for Will Smith--the movie was about as horrible as munging some corpse.

At least i had my Nintendo DS with me

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search