U.S. Considers Ground Based Anti-Satellite Laser - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
U.S. Considers Ground Based Anti-Satellite Laser
Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:55 PM on j-body.org

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/03/washington/03laser.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

An aerial view of Starfire, a government observatory in New Mexico where laser work is being done.

Re: U.S. Considers Ground Based Anti-Satellite Las
Thursday, May 04, 2006 4:40 PM on j-body.org
They can shoot a satellite down but not a missle?

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 4:56 PM on j-body.org
we cant shoot missle down? Sence when?

And um, yeah a satillite is a little different. Its um alot bigger, and isnt moving quite as fast.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:03 PM on j-body.org
Since when have we been reliably able to shoot down missles?

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:13 PM on j-body.org
the patriot missle has been shooting scuds down like crazy that was the soldiers eyes in the skies in the first iraq war. and last i heard the lockheed has been working on a high heat laser beam that would fit under a civilian airplane to shoot down terrorist or something of the sort down. they have been looking into fitting one of those on an awac too so basically during a dogfight our fighter pilots will own the sky any missle fired that is not our own would be takin out. if you have comcast i think its channel 274, you can learn alot on the military channel.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:14 PM on j-body.org
My understanding is there is still no reliable system for ICBM, only tactical ballistic missles.

(watch the military channel)

---

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:19 PM on j-body.org
well the patriot is 80-92% maybe higher accurate it does have some slips though sadly

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:51 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:My understanding is there is still no reliable system for ICBM, only tactical ballistic missles.

which means what....that we can shoot down missles...remeber..satillites and missiles arent the same thing

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:51 PM on j-body.org
Why do we need to base our military on science fiction?

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:08 AM on j-body.org
Because science fiction is the future.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:15 AM on j-body.org
HEY !! wasn't this a movie from the 80's staring Dan Ackroid and Chevy Chase ?
It was called "Spies Like Us" and the weapon was called W.O.M.P. and was based in an abandoned drive in movie theater in the desert south west. But it shot down missles, er....well it was supposed to anyway.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:22 AM on j-body.org
Roscoe wrote:
AGuSTiN wrote:My understanding is there is still no reliable system for ICBM, only tactical ballistic missles.

which means what....that we can shoot down missles...remeber..satillites and missiles arent the same thing

ICBM's are long range ballistics, tacticals are short range. So while we'd be able to knock down a missle shot from most third world countries, we most likely could not stop one of China's.

---

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:24 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:They can shoot a satellite down but not a missle?

We are doing alot better job at shooting them down, new guns that have computer targeting systems, coupled with an array of barrells that can deploy up to something like a million rounds per minute.

ah yes, 'metal storm' http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/06/26/australia.metalstorm/

http://www.fugly.com/videos/5188/million-rounds-per-minute.html

the handgun version fires three rounds BEFORE IT RECOILS ONCE!

yes there is a handgun version.

The only moving part is the projectile, nothing to jam or break, and in the case of a round not going off, the next round will simply push the one ahead of it out.

They can fire any munition, from 22 to grenade.

http://images.google.com/images?q=metal+storm&hl=en

Roscoe wrote:we cant shoot missle down? Sence when?

And um, yeah a satillite is a little different. Its um alot bigger, and isnt moving quite as fast.

most Sats are moving a hell-of-a-lot faster then most missles

Roscoe wrote:

but there are satillites WITH missles in them... so ~~~

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:29 AM on j-body.org
Friday, May 05, 2006 9:04 AM on j-body.org
Nick: At that point, I'd worry about ammunition depletion and reloading... I haven't read about it yet, I admit. Better to learn to aim first than dump a ton of lead into the air and hope to hit something.

Gabe: Patriot on auto firing is about 60% accurate, and with a good tech 80-90% accurate. Not perfect, but not bad either.

Agustin: Satellites are easier targets: they're usually flying in a stationary orbit or in a predictable path.

Also, the high heat lasers that are being developed for large aircraft: it's a bit more of a fantasy than anything... they're GAS powered lasers, and require modifying the air frame to the point that the rigidity is dangerously low. Not going to happen until the system can be made smaller.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, May 05, 2006 11:43 AM on j-body.org
Man, I frickin love that kinda stuff. Has anyone seen the new rifle that fires and targets on it's own. I don't remember what it's called, but it's bad ass. All that techno super gun crap is the tits...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Friday, May 05, 2006 12:16 PM on j-body.org
^^^Yeah its some kind of smart gun using laser targeting much like you would for calling in an airstrike.

And yes satellites do travel much faster than missiles.

Tactical missiles usually dont travel more than 1000 MPH

ICBM's are about 14-15000 MPH

and Satellites are in excess of 17500 MPH.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, May 05, 2006 12:25 PM on j-body.org
Sat need something like 3000 fett per minute in order to stay in low orbit. The higher the orbit, the higher the velocity.

An orbiting object is always falling towards the Earth. The trick is to have a lateral velocity high enough that it always misses

^^ That is basicly true^^ The smiley is because the concept is kinda warped.

PAX
Friday, May 05, 2006 5:36 PM on j-body.org
RaiLS wrote:Man, I frickin love that kinda stuff. Has anyone seen the new rifle that fires and targets on it's own. I don't remember what it's called, but it's bad ass. All that techno super gun crap is the tits...

are you referring to the Phalanx (CIWS) system onboard ships? or just a regular rifle?

man, one of the best things on the ship was watching that CIWS chewing up the tow cable from the Admiral's Lear jet... THAT was funny.

watching the Sea Sparrow directors freak out was cool too.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:48 PM on j-body.org
I can't help it!

Now whenever I see the word "laser" I hear Dr.Evil's voice in my head and
picture him doing the air quotes thing with his hands.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." -- Steven Wright
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:12 PM on j-body.org
No, it's some ground based infantry weapon being fielded as we speak. Supposed to make it safer for ground troops since they don't have to peek around corners with their actual heads or anything. It's mounted on some little tripod thing. Someone will look it up, as I am far too lazy right now.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:22 AM on j-body.org
Jbody2nr wrote:^^^Yeah its some kind of smart gun using laser targeting much like you would for calling in an airstrike.

It's called a SOFLAM.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:27 AM on j-body.org
^^^ thats jsut the laser component, basically the handheld version of the Laser Marker Tripod Systems (LMTS’s)

Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:32 AM on j-body.org
^^^Is it?

Hahahaha wrote:Sat need something like 3000 fett per minute in order to stay in low orbit. The higher the orbit, the higher the velocity.

An orbiting object is always falling towards the Earth. The trick is to have a lateral velocity high enough that it always misses

^^ That is basicly true^^ The smiley is because the concept is kinda warped.

PAX

Have you read the Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy? Arthur Dent figures out the way to fly... Throw yourself at the earth and just keep missing it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search