Creationism dismissed as 'paganism' - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Creationism dismissed as 'paganism'
Sunday, May 07, 2006 7:56 AM on j-body.org
Here's my take on creationism;
I'm a church-going catholic and I believe in evolution. Why? because I've read about it, I've gone to museums and have seen fossils and monkeys kinda look like us But I have a God approach to it that I'm sure some people will yell at me for, so be it. I believe that God made the universe and made evolution possible. Why does evolution and intelligent design have to be mutually-exclusive? Couldn't God have designed life to start out as a single cell amoeba, work there way to a little fish, crawl out of the water to avoid enemies, grow feet, and eventually evolve into Steven Colbert? I have no problem at all with the scenario. I believe the God has his hand in all the evolutionary changes in all lifeforms. People seem to forget that we're talking about God, he doesn't work with the same rules as you and I so he can do 5 million things at once.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:24 PM on j-body.org
Jarett: If you're willing to risk eternal damnation from the JBO, dry scalp, and poor gas mileage: you can find the Cahill books transcribed into PDF or DAISY audio(MP3) format in torrent files.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:40 PM on j-body.org
Jarret, you slightly mistook me, and i didn't make myself clear.

My point was that my take on the article says that anything that is *not christian* is pagan. Well, ask yourself:
What sect of christianity is the end-all-beat-all litimus, since i'd put money on saying that ALL of the sects of christianity now have strayed considerably from the original teachings of christ?

How can you define Paganism, which it's definition is more broad than the comibination of Bill Clinton and Rush Limbaugh's waistline? Moreso, how can you assume that every pagan out there believes in creationism?

We don't. Some do, some don't.

Further, the common thread really is just the holidays, which shows you the power of marketing. Since observances can be changed to quell the great unwashed, i don't look at those as a common thread because it's impossible to say what days Easter, Chrit's birth, and the All Hallows Even days *really* are supposed to be, and how they relate to the many Fall, Spring, and Winter celebrations of the Pagan realm.

In other words, You can say that Constantine and the other Christian leaders change the religion to suit their needs....

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Sunday, May 07, 2006 4:38 PM on j-body.org
KOTL, I was just bringing up the pagan influence in modern day Christianity, and where it stems from. that's all buddy. I'm well aware that there is no finite definition of "paganism" these days. most people would define paganism as "anything not Christian". it really depends on the person you ask.
my mother, sister, and several family friends are pagan (a couple are considered more Wiccan than anything). they observe official pagan holidays, perform wiccan rituals (I'm still waiting for them to bring the virgins over... my mom says that they don't use virgins... I'm still holding out), etc.
I've just been learning quite a bit about religion lately, and it is funny how a majority of the masses read into their respective religion how they want, to fit their needs. (My ex's mom, supposedly orthodox Catholic, divorced 5 times. my ex... 12 tattoos, 14 piercings... go figure.)
my take on it is that today's teachings of Christianity is a bastardization of the original teachings as well. however, the complexities of society today, compared to then, seem to warrant it. since there was no world economy, trade, war, etc. on the scale that there is today, what else was "the church" going to do?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, May 08, 2006 4:56 AM on j-body.org
zero wrote:Here's my take on creationism;
I'm a church-going catholic and I believe in evolution. Why? because I've read about it, I've gone to museums and have seen fossils and monkeys kinda look like us But I have a God approach to it that I'm sure some people will yell at me for, so be it. I believe that God made the universe and made evolution possible. Why does evolution and intelligent design have to be mutually-exclusive? Couldn't God have designed life to start out as a single cell amoeba, work there way to a little fish, crawl out of the water to avoid enemies, grow feet, and eventually evolve into Steven Colbert? I have no problem at all with the scenario. I believe the God has his hand in all the evolutionary changes in all lifeforms. People seem to forget that we're talking about God, he doesn't work with the same rules as you and I so he can do 5 million things at once.

The official stance of the church has been that God "planted the seeds of life" in a created evolutionary model, for over 1700 years. You are not at all in conflict with dogma, in fact you are in line with it. Since before 300AD the church has supported the idea of "created evolution". It fits with both science and the written record, the two where never opposed. The church knew about and acknowledged evolution more than 1000 years before Darwin.

PAX
Monday, May 08, 2006 8:07 AM on j-body.org
Ideally, Jarret, not organize, since most of the problems that have religion as their root seem to stem form it being organized and the fallacy that someone can tell someone else what to believe. This could be easily ended by outlawing organized religion...

...But rational thought never solved anything

Seriously, I tink the would would be a better place spitual-wise if people stopped listening to people wearing funny hats and funny clothes trying to hawk salvation like a carnie (read: Canrivangelist), and listened to what their own soul had to say, and followed it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, May 08, 2006 11:24 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Seriously, I tink the would would be a better place spitual-wise if people stopped listening to people wearing funny hats and funny clothes trying to hawk salvation like a carnie (read: Canrivangelist), and listened to what their own soul had to say, and followed it.

Got that right. And maybe if people would stop fighting so-called "holy wars" we wouldn't have half of the problems our society faces as a whole. It's disturbing when massive armies justify the deaths of millions on the basis that God commands it.

Monday, May 08, 2006 11:51 AM on j-body.org
I find it funny how mankind is so curious about everything.. space, oceans, cloning, etc... but the mass majority are spoon-fed by organized religion, and take it as face value.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search