Carnegie Mellon unveils unmanned combat vehicle - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Carnegie Mellon unveils unmanned combat vehicle
Friday, April 14, 2006 9:44 AM on j-body.org
'Crusher'

"Crusher," a 6.5-ton, six-wheeled robotic vehicle designed to negotiate harsh terrain, will be presented along with its predecessor, "Spinner," at Carnegie Mellon's National Robotics Engineering Center on April 28

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/04/13/crusher.robot.ap/index.html

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/regional/s_442356.html

Re: Carnegie Mellon unveils unmanned combat vehicle
Friday, April 14, 2006 10:10 AM on j-body.org
The new age of war is upon us.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, April 14, 2006 10:25 AM on j-body.org
BOOOO No pics! Both those links are as worthless as a fart in a space suit.

PICS PLEASE!!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, April 14, 2006 11:38 AM on j-body.org
pics coming April 28

Friday, April 14, 2006 4:59 PM on j-body.org
it should look like the hunter-killer tank from the Terminator movies

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, April 15, 2006 7:40 AM on j-body.org
omg, here is a vid of spinner, I can only imagine what advantages crusher will have: http://www.uqm.com/

see 'video of spinner' in lower right

Re: Carnegie Mellon unveils unmanned combat vehicl
Saturday, April 15, 2006 9:42 AM on j-body.org
WOW

Saturday, April 15, 2006 11:47 AM on j-body.org
good find. I want one!

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:45 PM on j-body.org
And when the encrypted transmission is broken, you've lost the marvellous toy

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:57 PM on j-body.org
Holy crap! I'm selling the cavy and starting on one of those....add a nice exhaust and a new set of wheels, and I'll make it through rush hour in record time.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Monday, April 17, 2006 6:52 AM on j-body.org
So they got the contract anyway?!?! They placed 2nd in the "Great Robot Race". The guys from Stanford kicked their butt with their system. Too bad. More cronism, the CM guys are x-marines, the Stnaford guys were just smaller, faster, more efficient, did it for way less money and won the competition. Nice.

PAX

Monday, April 17, 2006 7:09 AM on j-body.org
my girlfriend's dad was one of the engineers of the UGCV Spinner. he was telling me about some of the crazy @!#$ that's on it.

Monday, April 17, 2006 8:24 AM on j-body.org
I wonder if they "Borrowed" "Stanley's" navagation system as it was superior to CM's design.

Did anyone see "The Great Robot Race" just a couple weeks ago on Nova? They showed many of these types of vehicles.

PAX
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:16 AM on j-body.org
Direct link to Broadband Video

Direct Link to Dial-up video

Thought since I "borrowed" these direct addresses I'd share them.

My Car Domain
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:53 AM on j-body.org
Spinner, which was built by Carnegie Mellon researchers and funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), is a high-speed combat vehicle (UGCV) capable of carrying payloads up to 4, 500 lbs. It can roll over virtually any obstacle and even continue traveling if it's flipped over on its back. Its successor, Crusher, will weigh a half a ton less, feature a stronger hull and combines Spinner's speed and flexibility with enhanced autonomy capabilities.

WowWee Unveils First Robot Media Hub
Can Pleo Robot Charm the Market?
Sony Puts AIBO Robot Dog To Sleep
Known as UPI (UGVC PreceptOR Integrated) or UPI, this technology spreads sensing abilities across the entire vehicle to help balance its perception and also support vehicle areas that may be less adept at sensing the environment. The software will also let Crusher "learn" and apply previously gathered information to new obstacles. This should make the Crusher faster than Spinner and better equipped for handling more complex terrain situations.

Looks like Crusher will be a more nimble version of Spinner with PerceptOR software.

NREC scientists and engineers led a team that designed, developed, and tested an innovative, autonomous perception and navigation system under the DARPA PerceptOR Program, which seeks to remedy the poor performance of extended tele-operation of unmanned ground vehicles (UGVs).

The NREC-led team (“Team Blitz”) developed an autonomous UGV that is guided and augmented by a small, unmanned air vehicle - a "Flying Eye" - that flies ahead of the UGV and serves as a longer-range scout to explore terrain before the UGV must traverse it. By detecting holes, ditches and other hazards before the onboard UGV sensors would otherwise be able to detect them, the Flying Eye allows the UGV to avoid certain areas entirely. The UGV itself carries it own extensive sensor suite to address the close and mid-range of operating conditions and to confirm the hazards seen from the air.

Team Blitz was the only PerceptOR performer to participate in all three program phases. NREC is transitioning the PerceptOR software to the UPI, LAGR and ANS programs.

Vehicle with PerceptOR integration:

Spinner with unmanned air vehicle:

And here is a second video of Spinner doing some crazy @!#$. including a live demo of it recovering from a flip: http://www.rec.ri.cmu.edu/projects/ugcv/videos/index.htm

and yet another video, this is spinner with the PerceptOR integration: http://www.rec.ri.cmu.edu/projects/upi/videos/index.htm

^^^ Crusher ? ^^^

The NREC will unveil Crusher in a special ceremony on April 28th.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:17 PM on j-body.org
That thing is just badd assed!!!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, May 05, 2006 11:54 AM on j-body.org
As long as they don't get AI and start turning on us, it's all good!

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search