Evacuees Are Pushing It! - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Evacuees Are Pushing It!
Friday, May 19, 2006 4:49 AM on j-body.org
It would seem that some of the Katrina Evacuees are being MORE than lazy! They are now suing FEMA because they are threatning to stop Housing Assitance. Katrina hit on August 27th. It's been damn near a year these people have been in the city and they have not gotten a job yet??? I see ALL kinds of stuff online where companies are looking for employees from EVERY freaking field!

I think that the lazy bastards should be sent back to wet lands, and the ones who actually got off their asses remain a contributing citizen to Houston's Society.

"Speak the truth, and leave immediately after"
"The urge to save Humanity is almost ALWAYS a false front for the urge to rule"
"He who knoweth things as they are and not as they are said or seem to be, he truly is wise, and is taught of God more than of men."

Re: Evacuees Are Pushing It!
Friday, May 19, 2006 5:08 AM on j-body.org
yeah I agree.. especially after I heard what they were doing tot he volunteers

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:12 AM on j-body.org
I forgot the link.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3874016.html

"Speak the truth, and leave immediately after"
"The urge to save Humanity is almost ALWAYS a false front for the urge to rule"
"He who knoweth things as they are and not as they are said or seem to be, he truly is wise, and is taught of God more than of men."
Friday, May 19, 2006 5:17 AM on j-body.org
Remember, if you have a job you're paying for them to sit around for 9 months and watch Springer. A few months, OK, but after 9 months we should have the right to demand that they join us in the land of the employed. Make them support themselves for a change.

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:53 AM on j-body.org
Several of them moved here (in Iowa). I know many of them have done everything they can to make a fresh start. One in particular moved to a city north of here and started an art gallery. He was a professional artist and lost everything in the flood. He came here, worked his ass off, and dind't sit around with his hand out. I respect that. And there are many like him who have done the same. They're trying to start over. These others need to start doing the same.

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:25 AM on j-body.org
Why did they even get assistance in the first place? Because the media saw it as a good controversial report and the government had to do something. Does anyone realize there are maybe 5-10 terrible blizzards each year in the northwestern part of the country? People die, houses and businesses are lost, but do you ever hear anything about that? Nope. Why? Because its not controversial, meaning, the media has no way of blaming Bush for all the world's problems, since the north country folks take care of themselves and don't whine and complain because their welfare checks are cut off.

And yes, I realize not all the people affected by Katrina are lazy sacks of ****. But did the media ever do a story on the people who sprang back from such a terrible thing? Nope.

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:53 AM on j-body.org
The guy I posted about, along with several others, were covered by newspapers and TV stations. The media. Maybe it wasn't on a national level, but there's probably 10 examples of positive coverage right there. And there were stories on national news broadcasts about similar situations where people were doing something about it on their own and not waiting for a handout. Just because Wolf Blitzer didn't cover it doesn't mean nobody else did.

Friday, May 19, 2006 8:43 AM on j-body.org
In 2003, Hurricane Isabel came up the coast and rode right up through the Chesapeake Bay into Maryland. It hit the south and east Baltimore waterfront full force. The Middle River and Bowley's Quarters areas of Baltimore County took on a 10-15 foot storm surge, destroying damn near everything in it's path.

The people that live in those communities are STILL fighting with FEMA and their insurance companies over money. FEMA pulled their trailers some time ago, leaving some people with nothing. There was no huge outpouring of support. There was no gigantic government grants to help "refugees". There was just an entire town of hard working middle-class people with destroyed homes, cars, boats and belongings.

When they left New Orleans, these people were "evacuees". Now they are a strain on the system wherever they are...inflating crime rates and pushing welfare rolls to the breaking point. Unfortunately there will never be anything done about it because in this case the majority of the lazy slackers are "non-white" and to actually take action would be "racist".

So yeah...@!#$ the evacuees. Send that money to Baltimore County where it belonged 3 years ago. But no...instead they're going to rebuild a city below sea level and hope it never happens again. Morons.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:31 AM on j-body.org
James Cahill wrote:Why did they even get assistance in the first place? Because the media saw it as a good controversial report and the government had to do something. Does anyone realize there are maybe 5-10 terrible blizzards each year in the northwestern part of the country? People die, houses and businesses are lost, but do you ever hear anything about that? Nope. Why? Because its not controversial, meaning, the media has no way of blaming Bush for all the world's problems, since the north country folks take care of themselves and don't whine and complain because their welfare checks are cut off.

And yes, I realize not all the people affected by Katrina are lazy sacks of ****. But did the media ever do a story on the people who sprang back from such a terrible thing? Nope.

I agree that a lot of the evacuees were lazy. Hell, I live in Baton Rouge and our population doubled in 3 days. with the evacuees, many are still However, comparing a blizzard to a hurricane is not the same. I have been through both. Blizzards don't sweep away your home from it's foundations. You don't have to worry about drowning. Granted, blizzards often cause power outages and can be deadly.

We needed government. Also, the hurricane(s) didn't just affect New Orleans. People went to bed and woke up to water over their heads. Towns in southern Louisiana and Mississippi were davastated. Nearly wiped off the map. All that was left in Cameron, La was the Courthouse. not to mention the state's agriculture is in an extremely delicate situation. When storm surges come on land, it brings saltwater. When the flood water from the surge reamains on the land, the salt gradually settles, leaving salt on the ground. YOU CANNOT GROW THINGS ON A SALTED FIELD. Thus our rice and cane crops are gone or severely limited. Seafood. Oysters, crawfish, crab, and some fish that were growing in commercial ponds and natural swaps (crawfish), can't handle salt as well. So what do they do. The either die or get out and go elsewhere. Thus, the seafood industry is dwindling. OIL. Yeah, a lot of the oil that the US pumps, comes from the Gulf of Mexico. Oil Rigs are pretty mush big boats meaning they can sink. Hurricane comes through, out two and two together and BAM, less oil. Two ports in the affected area, Port of New Orleans and Port of South Louisiana(in LePlacefew miles west of NOLA) make up the busiest port complex in the world! These were damaged in the storm. This needed gov't finding because of the impact on the economy

I know who your comments were directed too; the "Katrina Refugees." But, I wanted to clear it up that New Orleans, was not the only place affected. In fact, per capita of all the places affected, it's was left in pretty good shape. That alone should show you the magnitude of these storms, Katrina and Rita. I agree with you on the media covering just NOLA, but, I just wanted you to know that the people you see complaining about welfare checks aren't the majority. The majority are trying to salvage what little they have left.

JimmZ wrote:So yeah...@!#$ the evacuees. Send that money to Baltimore County where it belonged 3 years ago. But no...instead they're going to rebuild a city below sea level and hope it never happens again. Morons.

So you want the US to abandon one of the most historic and one of the oldest cities, in the country and a major player in the ports game. you call me a moron, I call you uninformed and arrogant.
Friday, May 19, 2006 9:49 AM on j-body.org
The main problems is many of these people were already a waste of space and tax payers money. Many of them lready were collecting their welfare and not working. Now they lost their down and their parking their lazy arses in another town being happier because now their getting their welfare check and a check from Fema.

I was about to say that when 9/11 hit the city kept running and everyone did their part (granted the whole city wasn't demolished). But if i do remember correctly, there were quite a few people who milked the system that donated money to families that lost a loved one in the WTC. No matter where you go, or what happens, people will milk the system.

When my apt complex burnt down to the ground I lost everything I owned. Had no renters insurance (just moved in 3 weeks prior and didn't get around to getting insurance yet), so I received nothing. Actually I take that back. I received a check from the red cross for $100 towards new clothes at Khols (department store). Basically it was enough for some socks, boxers, a couple pairs of pants and a shirt. That was all I received. That happend in February and i'm already back on my feet and doing fine. I was back on my feet and doing fine by March.

I know what it's like to lose everything you own, however it shouldn't take someone longer than 6 months to rebuild their life.

"welcome to the most expensive hobby ever..."
Friday, May 19, 2006 10:48 AM on j-body.org
Kevin Pecoraro wrote:So you want the US to abandon one of the most historic and one of the oldest cities, in the country and a major player in the ports game. you call me a moron, I call you uninformed and arrogant.
I don't care how long it's been there. I don't care about it's history. What I do care about is that the American taxpayers are beng sold a bill of goods and convinced that we need to prove our arrogance once more and try to defeat natural forces. You wanna talk history? How about New Orleans' history of BEING UNDER WATER? That city spends more money building and maintaining pumping stations than some larger cities spend on mass transit, and now since they found out all that investment was inadequate they have to spend millions more upgrading the existing infrastructure to be safe from the next flood.

When all is said and done and the politicians get their way, what we're going to wind up with is a southern annex of San Francisco. What I mean by that is after the city of San Francisco was destroyed by the earthquake and fire of 1906, a major concern was rebuilding the city. The problem came up when the rest of the country started questioning the sense of spending exorbitant amounts of money to rebuild a city on top of a major fault line. The politicians, bankers and builders all got together and spun the situation to make it sound like everything would be ok, everything would be built to new codes, earthquake-proofed, blahblahblah and the work started. A few months later, the contractors started complaining about cost and all the earthquake-strengthening provisions of the new code were stripped out. Over 90% of the city was rebuilt to the old standards, just waiting to be knocked down again. Fortunately for San Francisco, there hasn't been an earthquake of similar strength since then...but it's only a question of *when*, not if. The same goes for New Orleans, and already the predictions are for at least 1 (probably more) category 4 or 5 storm entering or forming in the Gulf during this year's hurricane season.

New Orleans will be the same way...promises will be made, new walls will be built, to standards considerably lower than what's recommended by experts in the field, and the next category 4+ storm that rolls into town will fill it up like a fishbowl again...chasing all the drug dealers, gangs and welfare recipients back to other cities across the country.

My major complaint, and the reason I said (and still stand by) what I said is that after Katrina, you had politicians bending over backwards and kissing everyone's asses to hand out money to people that have NEVER put one dime into the system and live off the hard work of others. Contrast that to the communities of Baltimore County, MD that were hardest hit by Isabel...primarily white, working class families who got nothing but shafted by that same government when their entire lives got swept away. Now you have these same "refugees" that are so put-upon that a year later we have to CONTINUE to support them. Saying "no" or "get a job" brings out the race-card-brigade of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the like and we can't have that in an election year. So the rest of us hard-working taxpayers have to just bend over and take it.
I wrote:So yeah...@!#$ the evacuees.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:13 PM on j-body.org
JimmyZ.
So what that you don't care about New Orleans. I care about New Orleans because people in Louisiana have pride in it, no matter how sappy that sounds. BTW, the city was above sea level when it was first built and parts of it are still built. the French Quarter and up-town are examples. Again, it's a MAJOR port for the US being the first city at the mouth of the Mississippi. So, it's important economically to the WHOLE COUNTRY.
Look, I'm sorry Isabel flooded Baltimore and the power went out for a while and unforntunantly, people had to start over. However, saying that the money the Louisiana hasn't even recieved yet should go to Baltimore of all places is absured, and you know it. The reason the people of Balitimore who didn't get federal money from FEMA was because the state of Maryland wasn't declared and disaster. Those people should have been yelling at the insurance compaines for hiding flood insurance.

The people of NOLA cried for the government for 2 big reasons:
1. Politics got in the way of common sence and the common man paid for it.
2. The hurricane didn't get the best of NOLA. If you remember the Monday night when people went to bed, the headlines were "NOLA dodges another bullet" We woke up too, levees fail, the 9th is completely under water. these levees were built and maintain the ARMY corps of engineers, a federal bureau and they have taken since the blame for the failures.

That's while you heard bitching.

BUT, The point I want to make is the same one you made. Believe or not, Southern Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama have people who work their asses off for very little and out of determination, have never depended on the government for anything. These are the people the media did not show. I know many of these types of people. This isn't just New Orleans either. The people that really want New orleans to be rebuilt, are working to get New Orleans rebuilt but their story isn't being heard.You forget that a lot of these people have lived in NOLA their whole lives and their families have been there for generations. It's all they know, so, to here people call them morons and say their home, should not be rebuilt is extremely hurtful and discouraging.

Just know that the people you see on TV, wanting more money and not workign for it are the minority. PLEASE, do not let them make you believe that everyone affected by both Rita and Katrina is like this because it is farthest from the truth.
Friday, May 19, 2006 6:32 PM on j-body.org
Jimmy: It's academic until it happens to you.

I also find it funny, if not typical, that you're lumping a bunch of bad apples with everyone else.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:57 PM on j-body.org
well what was said before by couple ppl about Katrina Evacuees is true they are noting but bunch of lazy @!#$s who doesnt want to get a job and they except rest of the Americans to work so they can collect the tax payers money while they set on there @!#$ lazy ass's and do noting. and I really dont care if I get flamed about it but its the dam @!#$ truth.

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Saturday, May 20, 2006 3:02 AM on j-body.org
Sounds like houstan has a bunch of canadian liberals camped out there.

Rice.....Part of a balanced Pontiac diet.
Saturday, May 20, 2006 9:00 AM on j-body.org
JimmyZ does have a point though. When Isabel came through this area, we (Southern York County PA), while we're not near a large body of water in my area, got hit with TONS of flooding. My Aunt and Uncle lost EVERYTHING!!! Both of their vehicles, everything in their house... my uncle owned a Gunsmithing business, lost all his tools and machinery, an $8,000 cooler for the bait business he also had along with the bait, parts of the guns were missing in which he had to try to find (luckily tons of people that lived downstream (creek) were finding pieces and returning them)... FEMA didn't want to pay for crap. They barely paid for anything or even helped them. Now, almost 3 years later, they are STILL working on rebuilding their house... little by little, because that's all they can afford to do. And it's not just them either, there were tons of people that had the same problem. We live on top of a huge hill, so we weren't affected personally, but a lot of my family was. My other Uncle that lives right down the street from them got away with just his basement severely flooded. He forked out the money (he didn't get any help) himself to have a "flood wall" built up.

My uncle woke up at 4am in the morning when she came through, went to get out of bed, and realized he was standing in water. Outside their window, the water was at that point about 4 or 5 feet high. By that point, they couldn't even flee because the water had already taken their cars... so they had to "camp out" upstairs.

****NOTE****

I am in no way saying none of those people should have been helped. They had been nagging (for a lack of better words) for years to have the government build up the levees, but nothing was done. And yes, they did deserve to have help until they could get on their feet again. Yes there are plenty who have worked their butts off to rebuild their lives.

But as with anyone, and I do mean anyone that receives government assistance for whatever reason, should at least be able to show they're making every effort they can to put their lives back together and get on their feet again. As long as they're working their butts off to do so, they should continue to get help. But if they're not making the effort, they should not be continuing to receive aid.

I think JimmyZ's main point was that there have been other disasters in which people have needed help and gotten nothing or next to nothing in help.

And technically, you can compare a hurricane to a blizzard. Yes a hurricane is more "forceful"... but if you get a huge blizzard going, not only do you have to worry about structures collapsing, people getting stranded with no food or water, not being able to travel the roads, power outages,... plenty of people in the Northeast (at least around here) still have electric heat. Power goes out, you have no heat, and you have to worry about hypothermia. Then, as with some hurricanes, you have to worry about the people that need medical attention that can't get it because of the roads. Then when the snow melts you have to worry about ice and flooding.

The dangers are different, but that doesn't mean that one is necessarily more or less dangerous then the other, just depends on teh circumstances and the extent of the "storm".

Saturday, May 20, 2006 1:17 PM on j-body.org
...and we wouldn't be having this discussion if we stupid huumans would have put up with the annual mississippi flooding years ago and didn't buld the sediment retention structures.

No matter where you live, there's going to be something to inconvenience you--so pick and choose your poison. It's why i don't live in the white, green, or Puyallup river valleys here....and screw the people who do--sice last i checked the whole area's a lahar zone.

But still, just build N'awlins a bit more inland AND NOT BELOW SEA LEVEL and things shopuld be fine

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Saturday, May 20, 2006 5:49 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]...and we wouldn't be having this discussion if we stupid huumans would have put up with the annual mississippi flooding years ago and didn't buld the sediment retention structures.

No matter where you live, there's going to be something to inconvenience you--so pick and choose your poison. It's why i don't live in the white, green, or Puyallup river valleys here....and screw the people who do--sice last i checked the whole area's a lahar zone.

But still, just build N'awlins a bit more inland AND NOT BELOW SEA LEVEL and things shopuld be fine

Your right about the sediment. But, if we let the river flood yearly we couldn't just put up with it, it would be inhabital land. So, back in the 1800's, when the maindset was that man could control nature to a point with the new technology of the time, they didn't know the damage it would cause. We need to dredge the sediment through the levees to the marshland to bring back our hurricane barrier.

Also, it would cost trillions to build new orleans on a new location but it would cost the country billions to not reduild it as well so it's a catch 22.
Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:06 PM on j-body.org
Fallen: what Jimmy was saying comes across as sour grapes.

In a Blizard: you can prepare for it, structures need a helluva lot of weight to make them collapse (if you have a pitched roof, you're laughing, if you have a flat roof and there's wind, same deal... and, you can remove snow periodically). Plus, you don't have to deal with stagnant water infiltrating into wood-frame houses, and rotting out gyprock walls and carrying mold spores into wood and water-logging everything.

If you lose power, you can still operate a camp-stove, space-heater (both with ventillation, obviously), and move around to sustain yourself. You can also use a Generator quite nicely to provide electricity for forced air heating if you have a gas furnace.

Point is, you can live a lot easier through a blizzard (if you get a minute, have a look at this picture, and tell me how bad a blizzard you get that collapses houses... St. Anthony's NFLD has NO natural gas provisions, and there was no loss of life or property (other than spoilled food) than a hurricane. Winds are no where near as bad, and you don't have to deal with storm surge, just digging out.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:18 AM on j-body.org
Gam: That storm was @!#$ wicked... I didn't get hit nearly as hard as the Northern Peninsula(Where St. Anthony is located), but the whole island got hammered by that storm.

Another pic of the storm:

You're completely right though; ignoring traffic accidents, snowstorms don't kill people or ruin property... Even that crazy ass storm, was basically an inconvience to most people, and a financial burden to those that had to clear it.

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:43 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Fallen: what Jimmy was saying comes across as sour grapes.

In a Blizard: you can prepare for it, structures need a helluva lot of weight to make them collapse (if you have a pitched roof, you're laughing, if you have a flat roof and there's wind, same deal... and, you can remove snow periodically). Plus, you don't have to deal with stagnant water infiltrating into wood-frame houses, and rotting out gyprock walls and carrying mold spores into wood and water-logging everything.

If you lose power, you can still operate a camp-stove, space-heater (both with ventillation, obviously), and move around to sustain yourself. You can also use a Generator quite nicely to provide electricity for forced air heating if you have a gas furnace.

Point is, you can live a lot easier through a blizzard (if you get a minute, have a look at this picture, and tell me how bad a blizzard you get that collapses houses... St. Anthony's NFLD has NO natural gas provisions, and there was no loss of life or property (other than spoilled food) than a hurricane. Winds are no where near as bad, and you don't have to deal with storm surge, just digging out.

I am not going to completely disagree with you but with close to the same amount of forethought and a little want there could have been lees damage to peoples lives in "NOLA", it's not like the hurricanes just sprung up over a 15 minute span or anything, there was an advanced warning.

To be prepared for a blizzard up north is just as equal to being prepared for a hurricane anywhere along the gulf and eastern coast, period. For those that chose to just sit around and deal with it, good for them, they threw their cards on the table and Darwin was proved wrong or beaten. Unfortunately now they have issues to deal with.

Here in MI I have heard positive stories of "Katrina refugees" doing what they need to do and also local radio stations doing what they can to either get ( the people that are looking ) airtime to put their skills and info out to potential employers and to organize and advertise job fairs for those looking for employment. As much as I agree that there are bags of feces out there sucking off the gov't teet after the hurricanes, there is a boatload here that have been doing it long before the south was flooded.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 1:38 PM on j-body.org
Craig: a couple of friends of mine are townies and got it pretty bad, but my GF's friend Derm is from there... Rough shape after that, but still living

Fallen: I think part of the reason that there was problems was because of the inability to get people out. I haven't seen the death tolls, but it can't be very good. Also, you have to see two major things:
1: That this was a long-standing situation, and hadn't been resolved or much helped out in 40 some odd years. Much less the 200+ some odd years that there has been expansion into the swamps.
2: No-one expected the levys to fail that systematically.

Also, I gotta agree with you. For every piece of swamp scum there is out there, there's about 15 more that are trying to legitimately make it on their own 2 feet.

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:09 AM on j-body.org
Jimmy's right. Screw New Orleans let the river have it back. It had its run and now its done time to move on to bigger and better. Oh and BTW this time build your efing city ABOVE sea level ! Damn people why is this dificult to understand ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:46 AM on j-body.org
Who gives a @!#$ as to whether or not it's inhabitable? if it's in a floodway....DON'T LIVE THERE! Why i think we're @!#$ stupid.

It's like Sediment Retention structure or none, i think anyone living in the toutle river valley is a dumbass, regrdless of fundage, after lahars took it out some 26 years ago. why i think the same of the popel living in the cowlitz, white, green, yakima, and puyallup river valleys.

it's called forethought and common sense. Something we don't have.

So kevin, i put it to you...is spendingd a trillion dollars now to relocated N.O. above ground worth it, or is spending billions of dollars every so ofted worth it, when you know this is gfoing to happen again and it's impossible to make anything hurricane-proof?

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, May 22, 2006 9:33 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Jimmy's right. Screw New Orleans let the river have it back. It had its run and now its done time to move on to bigger and better. Oh and BTW this time build your efing city ABOVE sea level ! Damn people why is this dificult to understand ?

KOTL wrote:Who gives a @!#$ as to whether or not it's inhabitable? if it's in a floodway....DON'T LIVE THERE! Why i think we're @!#$ stupid.

It's like Sediment Retention structure or none, i think anyone living in the toutle river valley is a dumbass, regrdless of fundage, after lahars took it out some 26 years ago. why i think the same of the popel living in the cowlitz, white, green, yakima, and puyallup river valleys.

it's called forethought and common sense. Something we don't have.

I couldn't agree any more. Well said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search