Evacuees Are Pushing It! - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Evacuees Are Pushing It!
Monday, May 22, 2006 1:56 PM on j-body.org
45% of the city is above sea level. In fact, 300 years ago, the city was found due to it's realativly high elavation and access to the river. Hurricane Betsy did the same thing as Katrina, and the city came back.

KOTL, JimmyZ, and Jackalope:

People down here in southern Louisiana have more pride in the city and state than anything else. It is embarassing to see the minorty of evacuees crying over money they don't deserve. However, it doesn't mean we give up on the city and not just from a sentimental stance. the economical implications would be horrific to the country.I fyou think NOLA is a lot about Mardi Gras, your dead wrong.People from NOLA will often tell others that New Orlenas is apart of them. Usually, you can't explain the feeling unless you are from there.

KOTL, you should get a grasp on this pride-feeling the people from Louisiana have about the state and New Orleans. "Deny not who you are, for it is all that you truly have."

Monday, May 22, 2006 6:36 PM on j-body.org
KOTL wrote:It's like Sediment Retention structure or none, i think anyone living in the toutle river valley is a dumbass, regrdless of fundage, after lahars took it out some 26 years ago. why i think the same of the popel living in the cowlitz, white, green, yakima, and puyallup river valleys.

Don't forget the Skagit...

Also there's the town of Silvana, which gets flooded out by the Stillaguamish
yearly

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:08 AM on j-body.org
That was 300 years ago and since then things have changed a tad. Rivers change course erosion and sedementary deposits are constantly changeing the way the land looks. haveing pride in ones city / state is a great thing to be sure but will that pride fund the restoration of the destroyed areas ? I'd venture to say NO.

I'm quite sure the people of Pompia in Greece felt pride in their city as well but I see no one wanting to rebuild it.

The builders of the Titanic felt emense pride when she steamed out of Liverpool for the first time but I see no Titanic II.

Some things can not be nor should be re-built. New Orleans is one of them. Why should the rest of the country have to pay to rebuild something that will undoubtly just be destroyed again ? Lets say I'm the one holding the check that will pay to re-build New Orleans to it pre-flood grandure. Convince me why I should put my money into such a horribly already proven unstable investment. Not only doesn't it make any seance but it bad business.
So why should I sign over this check ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:26 AM on j-body.org
Pompeii, Jack And the people that lived there are still there. On a less macabre note, the people of Pompeii didn't know why things happened, and chalked it up to the whim of the Gods.

The Titanic is a different ball of wax, I'd wager, it'd still be sailing today if not for a bridge night watchman not spotting a berg in time. It's like saying cars shouldn't have been built after the first roadway accident.

And NOLA can be rebuilt, and made safe. It's been done in the Netherlands, and they get storm surges the same as NOLA, but on a monthly basis, and the country is about 6-9 feet below sea level. The difference is that they've been pro-active since the last time the dykes failled, whereas the levy system in NOLA hasn't been really upgraded since the late 60's. It's not a sound idea too live on a floodplane delta, but at this point, there is too much tied up in financial resources in the area to not get at least a bit of a return on the investment.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:15 AM on j-body.org
So the areas not completely destroyed fine fix up. But as for the areas where the homes are completely destroyed and bussiness gone why re-build them ? Fix the ares that aren't so far below sea level and the rest let the river have back. There is no good reason to rebuild but dozens not to.

As far as POMPEII goes the city itself is not in the same area as it once was. It got destroyed and they moved, thats what smart people do. They leave and re-build ELSWHERE.

And the Titanic regardles of how she ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic still the fact remains a Titanic II was never built. Mistakes were made lessons learned and they MOVED ON something we need to do concerning New Orleans.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 10:18 AM on j-body.org
Kevin: and what is something everyone says:

Pride comes before the fall.

And look at how big that fall was!

Still, if you moved NOLA inland enough to have the thing not flood, or hell, even build most fo the buildingd on piers (something people along many river valletys, including the Amazon, have done for millenia) to avoid the flooding rather than try to contain it and screw hings up more.

Plus, unlike the netherlands, NOLA is under a constant threat of hurricanes. and what's worse, even if we could make the leevees and dikes hurricane-proof--no one would want to pay for it.

But don't worry, Seattle's running into the same narrow-mindedness. Thanks to the Nisqually quake, our Viaduct is near-collapse. (think the last L.A. massive quake and the last Oakland/SF quake). The best, and costliest option, is to replace it with a tunnel, underground, which would make it earthquake-proof up to i believe about an 8.8. Because the Seattle Supersonics threatened to leave unless they get retrofits to Key Arena (Which, in the event that they do, they'd move to Bellevue--about 4 miles east...go figure), the politicians are considering rebuilding it in place (in which do to the soil could only withstand about a 7.2), or leaving it how it is (while it's slowly listing to starboard, never mind how much traffic it carries), or even knocking it down and eliminating a main throughfare.

So, the issue is going to come to a popular vote. Now, In my opinion, if the thing is rebuilt-in-place or left to it's own devices, i say we lay the future deaths of the people WHEN the thing collapses on the feet of those that decided to save a few bucks and take the least-safe option. After all, is a basketball team that hasn't done anything since 1979 worth it? Nope.

And Kardain, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the Stillaguamish part of the Mt. Baker drainage? They think it's bad now? Imagine when Mt. Baker erupts. Silvana would likey be buried in a Lahar.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 10:37 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:As far as POMPEII goes the city itself is not in the same area as it once was. It got destroyed and they moved, thats what smart people do. They leave and re-build ELSWHERE.

And the Titanic regardles of how she ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic still the fact remains a Titanic II was never built. Mistakes were made lessons learned and they MOVED ON something we need to do concerning New Orleans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii
Actually, they moved up the road and rebuilt. Quite literally. And I was making a macabre reference to the dust-mummies left there.

And, White Star's RMS Titanic was actually Titanic II... Kinda... There was 2 others in it's class, the Olympic and Britannic. The Britannic was sunk in 1916 (due to a mine strike, but that wasnt in the design specs) and the Olympic served on until 1935 (22 year service record, INCLUDING a collision with the HMS Hawke, U-boat U103, and Nantucket Light Service).

Moral of the story: Sometimes things happen, packing it in isn't always the right solution.

Although, I do agree with you on the idea that some parts of NOLA don't need to be fixed, but then, where do you draw the line?

Keeper: Netherlands has to deal with Atlantic sea surges year-round (same problem as a hurricane, minus the wind). They don't get a winter/spring break, and they've managed to get with it, I'm suggesting that NOLA does the same.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:33 AM on j-body.org
Those are sister ships! Not the same thing.

And at least we agree some of New Orleans needs to be forgotten.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:54 AM on j-body.org
what about the town on the coast. should they not be rebiult either? As stated before, New Orleans fair better than most other towns in Louisiana and Mississippi but, you don't hear about them because it's not the big story. Point is, the French Quarter is back, so is up-town and downtaown areas. Areas of the city where the levees didn't sweep away are back, and a lot of the people who had 8 feet of water in their house, not to mention 2 feet of mud, their back. I'm still going to stand on the fact the NOLA should and will be rebuilt. San Francisco didn't go anywhere. I don't know about the Northwest, but the people in Louisiana are a pretty tanacious bunch and we don't give up on things so easily.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:49 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Those are sister ships! Not the same thing.

And at least we agree some of New Orleans needs to be forgotten.

Actually, they were the same thing, exactly!

The Britannic (Gigantic) came after the Titanic... Titanic was the middle ship. No-one has Named a ship Titanic, but then again, a lot of people think it would be tempting fate.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:25 AM on j-body.org
Yeeees Kevin thats true and its why so many died as well. If they weren't so damn hard headed and ran for cover DAYS earily when they should have perhaps so many wouldn't have died. So woo hoo for a hard head! Look what it got all the dead, sorry thats not something to be proud of. I mean standing there while mom nature pointed a gun and pulled the trigger and sent a bullet toward you that took a week to get there and you just stand there waiting for it and then think its noble to be hard headed? :::shakes head::: Whatever but where I'm from thats called stupidity. Your warned the worst storm EVER is comeing directly at you, you live in a city built on a flood plain thats feet below sea level with levees disigned to handle only a catagory 3 storm and its a cat 5 headed for you and they go "Naaaa we'll be just fine we're a tenacious bunch". Good Lord man thats not tenasity its mass suicide!

The areas high enough above or at least level with the sea fine I can understand fixing them. The places that are
feet below sea level should be abandoned and bulldozed flat and turned into a huge park with trees and grass that way the next time mom nature gets her panties in a bunch and decides to hurl another catagory 5 hurricain at you guys MAYBE just MAYBE so many won't die. I mean its painfully clear that they can't think for themselves and in doing so signed their own death warrents so perhapps its time for the govt to step in to keep the hard heads alive.

GAM, thats what I ment. Not so much the fact that the ships were identical but that no Titanic II was built. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:34 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

And Kardain, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the Stillaguamish part of the Mt. Baker drainage? They think it's bad now? Imagine when Mt. Baker erupts. Silvana would likey be buried in a Lahar.

I believe that it is south of the Baker drainage... more towards Mt Pilchuck.

on the plus side, if both rivers flood at the same time, there's a good possibility that Stanwood will flood out and I don't have to go to work (that's the only way I can get on/off the island)

Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:44 PM on j-body.org
Kevin Pecoraro wrote:what about the town on the coast. should they not be rebiult either? As stated before, New Orleans fair better than most other towns in Louisiana and Mississippi but, you don't hear about them because it's not the big story. Point is, the French Quarter is back, so is up-town and downtaown areas. Areas of the city where the levees didn't sweep away are back, and a lot of the people who had 8 feet of water in their house, not to mention 2 feet of mud, their back. I'm still going to stand on the fact the NOLA should and will be rebuilt. San Francisco didn't go anywhere. I don't know about the Northwest, but the people in Louisiana are a pretty tanacious bunch and we don't give up on things so easily.

That's fine, be as tenacious as you want, but what many are saying is be tenacious on your own dime.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:12 PM on j-body.org
Jack: Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Britannic's construction started after the Titanic sunk.

Friday, June 02, 2006 7:02 AM on j-body.org
Ah yes but I believe its plans were revised to include water tight bulkheads that extended up to and included the ceilings in the lower compartments. The Titanic filled up like an ice cube tray would flooding the forward compartments and then spilling over into the next. Ship builders learned that was not an idea to be duplicated so the water tight compartments were to be compleatly water tight after that. Or at least thats what they said at the Science Center exibit we attended last year or the year before.

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:05 AM on j-body.org
Kardain:

In that scenario then i'll send you a copy of the Gilligan's island theme song

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:33 PM on j-body.org
do it on our dime? how stupid is that?

let's work through city disasters.

9/11. New Orleans sent up fire trucks for use by the FDNY until they could get their fleet up and running. Fulck New York, don't build buildings so tall and be viewed as a symbol of a strong economy.

Chicago. Shoud have let that bitch burn to the ground.

San Fransisco. A fire, a vast number of deaths from gold fever, a dozen or so earthquakes, screw them they never should have built a city on a fault.

Los Angeles. Thanks for the glorification of all that is gangasta. Earthquakes, fulck them. Let them sink into the fault too.

Point:

Disasters will strike anywhere. Get off your high fulcking horses, and be proactive instead of telling us what we should do or not do. New Orleans was home to a whole lot of people, businesses, arts and humanities. There is no other city in the United States that has anywhere NEAR the history or culture of New Orleans. You don't want to rebuild it? Fine, because YOU don't make a difference. YOU don't need to worry about it: don't come visit, don't come down for mardi gras, don't even watch a girls gone wild filmed at mardi gras, because you're all hypocrites. Mother nature will eventually fulck every city on a long enough timeline, and then someone will be there to point out the fact that you shouldn't have done this, you shouldnt have done that. Guess what, no one gives a fulck. Tornados rip through the midwest, hurricanes rip the east and south, blizzards fall on the north, floods the pacific northwest, and earthquakes the west coast.

All of you live in one of these disaster prone regions, and when one of those disasters hits your home. FULCK YOU.

KevinP. Out. Bitches.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:00 PM on j-body.org
Calm down man, YOU can rebuild your city all you want. I said nothing of any of those other catostrophes, same issues in my book (which may piss off a few). AS far as the problems in your state, handle them how you see fit, mine is going into the crapper faster and faster every day, doesn't mean I am gonna expect the other 49 to pick up the slack.

I could care less if NOLA gets rebuilt, been there once (outside Mardi Gras even) and had a good time but was not impressed enough to want to go back, sorry. Oh, and I have never even seen GGW except on their commercials, sorry again. AS far as rebuilding I have no choice or care for the most part.

It sucks, sorry for ya, figure it out and move forward.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search