IMPORT VS DOMESTICS cars - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
IMPORT VS DOMESTICS cars
Saturday, July 08, 2006 3:13 AM on j-body.org
for so long this BS has existed big time in this country. most other countries dont give a damn as long as the car does its job, but egos run rampant on the type and style of car you drive.

i;ve seen alot of mustang owners, simply cause its made by ford, claim they are so domestic and patriotic....

yet the mustang doesnt even pass "domestication" by the sheer definition in its parts makeup...

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/launchPage.html?070706/070706_cav_auto&Made%20in%20America%3F&Your_World&Autobytel.com%20editor%20on%20the%20truth%20about%20buying%20%27American%20Made%2 7%20autos&Business&-1&Made%20in%20America%3F&Video%20Launch%20Page

i know i;ve said it on here for years about half the cars people label as domestics are pretty much more or less imports (hey, the government defines it as so, not I), while the cars we label as imports are made here, parts made here, and made by americans... such as the toyota camry and quite a few other "imports"

just find it amusing many of the people i know who "bun" mustangs are less domestic than toyota camrys

whats your views on this issue?

Re: IMPORT VS DOMESTICS cars
Saturday, July 08, 2006 3:48 AM on j-body.org
I watched the video and was waiting for the guy to say the cavalier was 50% american parts with the other 50% coming from third world child labor. In all seriousness though I would like to see more foreign car manufacturers open plants in the US to help create jobs in the US.

To be honest a Toyota is the only thing I used to drive just for reliability, but my last three cars have been domestic econoboxes and given me very good service.

Saturday, July 08, 2006 5:30 AM on j-body.org
Did you know Toyotas make more more parts of there car in the US, than any of the big three. I was at a Toyota dealer this past week and the guy one told was telling me about it.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Saturday, July 08, 2006 8:39 AM on j-body.org
I don't think where a car is made has as much to do with how it's engineered. Honda's have a rep for being reliable because they design them to be that way. I had a 95 Neon that needed a head gasket every 30,000 miles. It was how the cylender walls were designed, too thin to keep a good seal with the head. The goal was to make it as cheap as possible using as little material as possible. They succeeded, and I've owned my last "new school" mopar because of it.

The only import I have a problem with is BMW, and not because of the cars. It's those snobby BMW owners... (off topic). Other than becoming a BMW owner, I'd love to have a Z3. I thnk that's the sexiest slut of a car on the planet.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:17 AM on j-body.org
Some guy told me once that he will never own another domestic vehicle of any kind ever again - apparently he had a bad expeience. Then I pointed out to him that his Tundra was built right here in the good ole USA. That really pizzed him off.

Saturday, July 08, 2006 11:20 AM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:I don't think where a car is made has as much to do with how it's engineered. Honda's have a rep for being reliable because they design them to be that way. I had a 95 Neon that needed a head gasket every 30,000 miles. It was how the cylender walls were designed, too thin to keep a good seal with the head. The goal was to make it as cheap as possible using as little material as possible. They succeeded, and I've owned my last "new school" mopar because of it.

The only import I have a problem with is BMW, and not because of the cars. It's those snobby BMW owners... (off topic). Other than becoming a BMW owner, I'd love to have a Z3. I thnk that's the sexiest slut of a car on the planet.

yea i remember the 95-99 engine had that prob. few of my friends had em including the ACR's

as for the BMW's, true... most i;ve encountered are cool though. but like the mustang owners, and even some "cavalier" owners on this board. they get a small power increase and figure they are better than anything short of 10 cylinders...

Quote:

I watched the video and was waiting for the guy to say the cavalier was 50% american parts with the other 50%

that might be a realistic estimate: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=83496

Quote:

General Motors
Oshawa, Ontario Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Buick LaCrosse, Pontiac Grand Prix
Oshawa, Ontario Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Silverado SS, GMC Sierra, GMC Sierra Denali light duty
Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire, Buick Rendezvous
Silao, Guanajuato, Mexico Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade EXT, Chevrolet Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade ESV
Toluca, Mexico state, Mexico Chevrolet Silverado and Chevrolet and GMC commercial trucks
* — Shares space with Chrysler.
Source: USA TODAY research

works good even though its imported or not....

but there will always be people who have false pride based on solely the badge thats on the grill, or the ones they added.

Saturday, July 08, 2006 1:39 PM on j-body.org
douchebags...

-Borsty
Sunday, July 09, 2006 12:19 PM on j-body.org
Borsty wrote:douchebags...

did i touch a nerve there, puddin?

Sunday, July 09, 2006 1:34 PM on j-body.org
i find it funny that MOST people who don't like "imports" fail to see that quality control for "imports" that are made in the US is through the roof compared to that of "domestics" made here or elsewhere.

that said, it doesn't matter the label, between "domestic" and "import" - if i'm buying a new car, i'm going to buy the best damned car my money will allow me to buy. Toyota and Honda top the market for a reason: their quality control is outstanding.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

you know, i love when people like to criticize others about their behavior,
but turn around and do the same freaking thing months later...
Monday, July 10, 2006 12:09 AM on j-body.org
I think both have their problems. A big part is how the owner takes care of their car.

I am just a firm believer that a GM is just as good as a Toyota, but it does seem that Toyota recalls and problems are buried alot more in the press whereas GM's problems are plastered all over the front page of every news website and newspaper.

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:35 AM on j-body.org
but, why would that be? i mean, it's not the magazines doing it...they all love German cars, and will outright admit that said cars have problems.

i think the problem is split between owner and manufacturer. owners of grocery getters are not buying the cars for any sort of performance, so we can use that set for comparison. Corollas vs Cavaliers - there are tons of both on the road. Cavaliers are known for having multiple problems in later years, while it's pretty well known that one can drive Corollas until the body rusts away(or very nearly that long). there were more Js sold in the mid-late 80s than there were Corollas, yet you see more of the latter still puttering around.

i don't think this is entirely because each of those users are taking impeccable care of the cars...the older corollas had motors that were virtually bulletproof. they broke less often overall. nowadays, quality control is STILL high in the US factories...while you can't say that for "domestics".

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

you know, i love when people like to criticize others about their behavior,
but turn around and do the same freaking thing months later...

Monday, July 10, 2006 5:54 AM on j-body.org
The line between imports and domestics is blured to the point where its no longer a point. Toyotas are made here and GM is opening plants in China. So wouldn't that make GM's the imports and Toyotas the domestics?
Who cares ! Seriously its all about point "A" to point "B" anyway.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, July 10, 2006 3:11 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:The line between imports and domestics is blured to the point where its no longer a point. Toyotas are made here and GM is opening plants in China. So wouldn't that make GM's the imports and Toyotas the domestics?
Who cares ! Seriously its all about point "A" to point "B" anyway.

while i agree with all you said, but most importantly your last sentence...

how many meets, shows, race tracks have you gone to and experienced the "import vs domestic" ego?

i mean I, PERSONALLY, view it like this:

i dont walk down the street, and flex my muscles at other smaller people, and try and brag how i am so much stronger than the avg person that i meet daily.

my reason, cause everyone is good at something. whether its being a hermit, sewing, knitting, cooking, working on computers, being athletic, and on and on and on...

kinda like the difference in cars, some are good at handling, some are good at high speed, some are good at off the line.

but all serve the general same purpose, yet you still have the cavalier owners goin back and forth with the civic owners, which honda and civic is actually the internets most used phrase/term on car forums for denoting a "lower brand car"...

and if we honestly take a step back and look, cavaliers and civics are truly in the same boat. also along with the focus.

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:06 PM on j-body.org
Mikedirntrulez wrote:I think both have their problems. A big part is how the owner takes care of their car.

I am just a firm believer that a GM is just as good as a Toyota, but it does seem that Toyota recalls and problems are buried alot more in the press whereas GM's problems are plastered all over the front page of every news website and newspaper.

maybe because there are more GM mistakes
and when GM makes a mistake it occurs in a vast line of vehicles

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:18 PM on j-body.org
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:and if we honestly take a step back and look, cavaliers and civics are truly in the same boat. also along with the focus.

BINGO!

Monday, July 10, 2006 5:27 PM on j-body.org
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:
Borsty wrote:douchebags...

did i touch a nerve there, puddin?

not you, the guys in the video.

i didnt even read anything you wrote really

-Borsty
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:08 AM on j-body.org
Event, I do know the attitude you speak of all to well. Remember I had all big block cars before my Cavi. so all my friends were RWD muscle car guys, needless to say I'm no longer friends with most since they see me as a "traitor" I even had people laugh that I sold my Fire Bird and bought the Cavi. But ya know what ? I got tired of cooking my ass off in the summer with no A/C, freezing in the winter till that monster engine and cooling system warmed up, getting 10 mpg, and getting wet every time it rained! Hell the ONLY way my old Fire Bird was better then my Cavi. was its straight line acceleration, other then that my Cavi. owns the Fire Bird !

Its all a "my dick is bigger then your dick contest anyway"

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:50 AM on j-body.org
Ok, so I'm a little high but I think I can still say this and make sense.

There's always competition with brands in everything. When I was in school it was all about shoes. The Nike owners disrespected the Reebok, the Adidas owners disrespected the Fila owners, the Vans owners disrespected the Airwalk owners and so forth. Not everyone is like this, but you do have quite a few ignorant people in the world, and the same people that did that type of silly @!#$ in high school (my brand is better than yours) are the ones doing that with their cars. "My import is better than your domestic because of blah blah blah blah."

Overall - cars are like shoes... they get you from point a to point b easier, there are different styles and different manufacturers. Sure, there are some brands that are better than others... for instance. Nike is to Toyota as a Cheap Walmart Shoe is to Kia. But big brands like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Chevrolet and Pontiac are all-in-all the same as Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Vans & Airwalk.

If I'm talking about the wrong thing or don't make any sense... bill me.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:08 AM on j-body.org
^^^except Docs...Nike, Vans, Reebok, Addidas, Fila, British Knights, and Roos won't survive a nuclear holocaust...

Ergo: Most shoes::cars like Doc Martens::M1A1 Abrahms Tank

But it does make sense.

Besdies, my SFGT was built in Lordstown, but it's likely the majority of parts came from elswhere and were just assembled here.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 1:42 PM on j-body.org
I look at guns the same way you guys look at cars - and shoes apparently. My Springfield XD is marketed by an American company yet it was made in Croatia. Best damn gun I ever owned but anyone with a Glock will call it a POS wanna be. My Beretta (Italian made) was considered to be a decent firearm, standard issue for many agencies, but mine was a total POS. Yet my Kimber 1911 (American made) was pretty f'n sweet and it's probably my second favorite firearm. I've fired Smith&Wesson (American) firearms and didn't care for them but I have a fondness for H&K (Definitely not American). Again, American vs Import. Sort of.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:09 PM on j-body.org
some of you say imports are better i dont think so My sunfire Has never died on me it doesn't leak Its a 05 i paid full price because i bought it the day between there employee discount. Im happy with the car GM will get my money again . Has anybody noticed this country realy sucks in the last 25 years. No factory jobs,Industry is wasting away. Every thing is expensive. O well if Gm goes belly up at least You all get to pick up the tab on there legacy costs with higher taxes. To think people are in iraq serving a country thats rotting away. If Ford and GM drop that leaves
Catapillar
paccar (peterbuilt/kenworth)
Navistar
cummins

God bless a country that would sell there own mother to a immigrint with briefcase full of money

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:43 PM on j-body.org
mrcivilservent wrote:some of you say imports are better i dont think so My sunfire Has never died on me it doesn't leak Its a 05 i paid full price because i bought it the day between there employee discount. Im happy with the car GM will get my money again . Has anybody noticed this country realy sucks in the last 25 years. No factory jobs,Industry is wasting away. Every thing is expensive. O well if Gm goes belly up at least You all get to pick up the tab on there legacy costs with higher taxes. To think people are in iraq serving a country thats rotting away. If Ford and GM drop that leaves
Catapillar
paccar (peterbuilt/kenworth)
Navistar
cummins

God bless a country that would sell there own mother to a immigrint with briefcase full of money

thats missing the point of the post....

you are comparing 1 sunfire out of a few hundred thousand, if not atleast a million j's total. you have had it for MAYBE 2 years.... get to 10, and then give an honest view on it... or atleast surpass 5... more than likely your factory warranty is still intact IF you havent passed 36k yet...

granted, my cavalier has done well being a 99 sedan with 140k on it... however 98 models as well as the 95-97 models have had their issues. its a great car no doubt, but theres other cars considered imports that have far better track records and in the same class.

the point of the post moreso is the fact that many people run off FALSE PRIDE, prime example being MUSTANG owners...

they are known for being patriotic and hiding behind the V-8 engine and Ford being associated with MADE IN AMERICA slogans...

yet the mustang is more import and classified as so than a car such as toyota camry which is classified as a domestic, even though it carries a toyota badge. the rules of classification set forth by the same country the car is praised within...

as far as the no factory job stuff....

ACCURA aka HONDAS top line, just opened a new Design Center plant....guess where... USA

Quote:

In today's market, the MDX has many competitors, but back then it was an all-new product - a unibody SUV. This was a completely new concept, created from the vision of HRA associates. Now, more than 65 percent of the Acura products sold in America are researched, designed and developed in America as well. And even the new RDX, being developed in Japan, is being led by one of our American engineers from Ohio.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID1019?mid=2006040560719&mime=asc

Honda opening a new plant in Indiana

http://cellounge.com/jaminusa/2006/this-just-in-new-honda-plant-to-be-built-in-greenburg-indiana/

jobs arent as plentiful as it was in the 60's and 70;s, but then again with the additions to robots, computerized programs to control the robots, and cheaper labor, not just outsourcing, theres been a decline in people needed to make a hood or make a door.

the main reason this country rots away is because of the "i deserve way more for way less mindset"...

point of the post?

a few have already pointed it out very clearly.... neither is better. half the people here havent even had both to compare, so they give a biased view, which is like asking the KKK or Black Panther Party about diversity in america.

all companies have put out quality cars

however the cars most people call imports are made in america, assembled in america, at an american plant in an american city BY american people.

where as some of the cars people call domestics, are made in other countries then imported, and assembled here by americans, yet, the majority of the parts are IMPORTED making the car an import.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:55 PM on j-body.org
Not to mention the Toyota plant in SAT and the new Hyundai plant. I think it's in NC or something.

And it's Acura, not Accura. Sorry, I never nit pick spelling like that, it's more of a joke then anything.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 7:34 PM on j-body.org
Its not the parts but who the majority of the profit of the cars goes to. GM and Ford cars keep the profits here. Every other company sends them to their parent company in their parent country. It doesn't matter so much whos plants are where.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:09 PM on j-body.org
Sappy96 wrote:Its not the parts but who the majority of the profit of the cars goes to. GM and Ford cars keep the profits here. Every other company sends them to their parent company in their parent country. It doesn't matter so much whos plants are where.

either way you look at it, the gov't doesnt classify the mustang as a domestic. maybe it means the profits are goin elsewhere....?

as for the plants being where, i feel that should matter... location usually reflects on jobs for local economy. if a plant is in VA for example, most likely the majority of people will be VA citizens meaning more jobs for VA.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search