Canada Housing Refugees - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Canada Housing Refugees
Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:57 PM on j-body.org
I guess it depeneds on the military tribunal who tries this individual, and it's definition of war when someone deserts his post. I tried searching for "definition of war" in the UCMJ, but found nothing. to me, there's a difference between leaving your post, and leaving your post when there's shelling, shooting, bombing and dying. odds are, he'll spend life in Leavenworth.
there's a massive grey area in who and what should declare war. the Constution states that only Congress can declare war. some say that the President can declare it when the US is "invaded or in imminent danger". a lot of people think that this should have been declared a war, but a majority of the politicians are trying to place this whole Iraq debacle squarely on the shoulders of the UN. IMO, the UN should be disbanded. it's a waste of money and filled with corrupt individuals (read: UN oil for food program).
GAM, I know Britian did approve a declaration of war to assist the US in Iraq. correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Canada have troops there? if so, has Canada declared war as well?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:12 PM on j-body.org
That was totally my bad. It's been too long to edit it blank too. Sorry. Disregard my last statement.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:13 PM on j-body.org
Canada has not declared war. We are on "active duty" in Afganastan and I think the only Canadian soldiers on the ground in Iraq are exchange soldiers who are serving under US command. If I'm not mistaked we have communications and survielance in the Gulf, but that about it for actual Canadian actions regarding Iraq.

GAM, correct away

PAX
Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:31 PM on j-body.org
Canadian frigates are patrolling the Gulf, but which ones are there, I don't currently know. The ships in place are part of the Economic sanctions that are still in place against Iraq, and were on patrol doing search/seizure and interdiction missions for illegal items/oil smuggling operations as well as precluding vessels from heading into Iranian waters for refuge from the search and seizure detail.

Our Exchange troops are under US command authority, and are obligated to follow all rules of engagement, lawful orders issued, and combat guidelines that American troops are. They wear the same uniforms as other soldiers as well (as I remember). Other than the fact that they reek of maple syrup, they're doing the same things, but Canada has not forced them to participate and their actions don't qualify as Canadian support of or declaration of war. British Parliament (both the House of Commons and the House of Lords) didn't declare war formally but has authorised the Prime Minister and the Ministry of Defence to mobilize all required military assets and troops to aid the effort in Iraq supporting UNSC res. 1441.

Canada is doing more than just patrolling the Persian Gulf, however. RCMP members are helping train tactical and investigative members of the Iraq National Police force as well as the MP arm of the new Military. The training center is in Jordan, and I'll be damned if I can't remember the name of it just yet.

RaiLS: no biggie

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:48 PM on j-body.org
What a crock. "Vietnam is different cuz of the draft," worst excuse ever. It's so terrible to serve your country isn't it? Just because you're randomly picked doesn't give you the right to run away and be justified. I don't like paying taxes, should I stop paying? What about speed limits, I think they're silly, I'll drive how I want to drive.

O noes!
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:06 PM on j-body.org
Paying taxes or obeying the speed limit is not the same as being drafted into the army at all, I can't believe you made that analogy. Hmm, driving the speed limit isn't quitelike involentarily being dragged to a foreign nation and getting shot at, or worse, pointing a weapon at a person and pulling the trigger. It seriosly impinges on your political freedom as well. What if you simply do not agree with the combat action? Maybe the person being drafted into Nam actually supported the political ideals of the north.

My question has always been, why would an army want someone who didn't volenteer? How do you know they'll follow orders? How do you know they won't sabbotage an operatio? Or is the brainwashing just that effective?

There are other ways to serve your contry without being drafted into the army. Staying at home, going to work and paying taxes is one of them. Being a productive member of your community, helping out where you can. Maybe getting a job in a munitions camp, or serving to educate youth. There are alternates to the army.

Leave combat to those who do it willingly, it just makes more sense.

PAX
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search