YEAH! BUILD A FENCE!! (nevermind) - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
YEAH! BUILD A FENCE!! (nevermind)
Friday, July 14, 2006 7:41 AM on j-body.org
Two months ago, the US Senate voted 83-16 to build a fence along the US-Mexico border. Great idea, and long overdue.

At the time, I had a feeling it was a cover-your-ass election-year public relations stunt, because they were starting to get the idea that US citizens were getting more pissed off than the illegals staging their little protest day. That thought was confirmed today when I read that they voted 71-29 that they "can't" (don't want to) pay for it.

Next thing you know, Canada will be invading unabated and we'll all be screwed, eh.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Re: YEAH! BUILD A FENCE!! (nevermind)
Friday, July 14, 2006 7:49 AM on j-body.org
$20 says the Senate votes in favor of a pay increase for politicians though.

Friday, July 14, 2006 8:35 AM on j-body.org
Even if they got funding to build the wall (fence). Unless it had turrets, was electrified, had a nice amount of razor wire or we increased the personnel watching the border, how much more effective would it be than the Great Wall of China? Because as we all know, that didn't help them much. Given the Great Wall of China is only a few miles longer, (sarcasm) it's understandable, but even a few hundred miles would require an increase in personnel or else there would be no point. I agree that something needs to be done about the illegal immigration, don't get me wrong. But in my opinion a "wall" is only going to be a small obstacle, nothing more, and I for one don't want my tax dollars going to an obstacle.

I haven't read anything about the wall, so I don't know what they had in mind. Whether they were going to build just a concrete wall, or an intense "zap anything that crosses" style wall is beyond me. I don't have time to read up on it for the time being, so if anyone knows than feel free to fill me in My opinion of the matter may change then.

Friday, July 14, 2006 8:43 AM on j-body.org
My point is it's the same old same old all over again. It's an election year, so whatever issue makes headlines will get some "landmark bill" passed to take care of it. In this case, it was a hugely tilted vote to "build a fence to protect America". Now comes the time to actually DO what they say they're going to do and they're backpedaling.

They take votes, they have meetings, they make public pronouncements that make everyone feel like they're actually doing something, but nothing actually gets done. It's not a Republican thing or a Democrat thing...it's a politician thing and the only way it will end is if more people are willing to call them on it and take their jobs away from them.

The other real problem is, THIS vote won't make the 6 o'clock news.

Friday, July 14, 2006 8:55 AM on j-body.org
carlos mencia put it best...who do you think is going to build the fence.......

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:26 AM on j-body.org
I fail to see how building a fence in the first place will stop the real problem... the problem of mexico, those poor poor peoplpssshhhhhtttt I couldn't keep that up.

But serioulsy, building a fence wouldn't really do anything, Mexico needs to get its @!#$ together.

I wrote this post a long time ago, a real long time ago, back in 94.
Friday, July 14, 2006 10:18 AM on j-body.org
JimmyZ wrote:My point is it's the same old same old all over again. It's an election year, so whatever issue makes headlines will get some "landmark bill" passed to take care of it. In this case, it was a hugely tilted vote to "build a fence to protect America". Now comes the time to actually DO what they say they're going to do and they're backpedaling.

They take votes, they have meetings, they make public pronouncements that make everyone feel like they're actually doing something, but nothing actually gets done. It's not a Republican thing or a Democrat thing...it's a politician thing and the only way it will end is if more people are willing to call them on it and take their jobs away from them.

The other real problem is, THIS vote won't make the 6 o'clock news.

Sadly, you're absolutely right.

Unfortunately, I don't think many people are willing to call them out on it. Some people feel they are protected by our government, many others are terrified of our government and the "consequences" of objecting them. As Thomas Jefferson said: "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Friday, July 14, 2006 11:09 AM on j-body.org
Yeah and the minutemen aren't going to do it. They're plagued by infighting and have only a built a fence that a land owner is less than impressed with. I'll dig up the links after lunch.

---

Friday, July 14, 2006 12:52 PM on j-body.org
It's time to stop saying the Great Wall didn't help China. It certainly did, for nearly 2000 years. I don't think a wall along the Mexican border can have the same success but I get irritated when history is ignored in favour of opinion.

Quote:

For centuries, the wall served succeeding dynasties as an efficient military defence. However, it was only when a dynasty had weakened from within that invaders from the north were able to advance and conquer. Both the Mongols (Yuan Dynasty, 1271-1368) and the Manchurians (Qing Dynasty, 1644-1911) were able take power because of weakness of the government and poverty of the people but never due to any possibility of weakness of the Wall.

Friday, July 14, 2006 1:52 PM on j-body.org
I still say the answer to illegal mexicans is to give them citizenship and let them travel the country freely. It's a big country, we have room for them.

But then again, I'm in favor of making immigration easier for anyone. Isn't that what this country was built on, people who wanted to make a better life for themselves and their families?

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Friday, July 14, 2006 2:35 PM on j-body.org
JimmyZ wrote:Next thing you know, Canada will be invading unabated and we'll all be screwed, eh.

What's this "Next thing you know," business?

The invasion is in full swing already.

You're reading this in North America, wearing pants, after you've had an infection, with controlled Diabetes, THANK A CANADIAN!!!

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:16 AM on j-body.org
acidburn1022 wrote:carlos mencia put it best...who do you think is going to build the fence.......

LMAO! Mencia is an f-in genuis!

Is that a perfectly legal, anatomically correct condom education model,
or are you just happy to see me?
www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2000-08-11/xtra_feature2.html
Thursday, August 03, 2006 3:56 PM on j-body.org
Once again it's been proven that Congress and all our elected representatives are only interested in doing what's POPULAR, and not what's right.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20060803-121451-9430r.htm

Were it not for index sites like The Drudge Report and countless bloggers out there exposing the lies these bastards have been telling us, there would STILL be no money to build a fence down there. How much do you want to be there will be an attempt (again) to pass a bill restricting the access of "unconventional" press like bloggers?

Things that make you go hmmm...

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:46 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:I still say the answer to illegal mexicans is to give them citizenship and let them travel the country freely. It's a big country, we have room for them.

But then again, I'm in favor of making immigration easier for anyone. Isn't that what this country was built on, people who wanted to make a better life for themselves and their families?

Yup, could tell you aint from around Texas. When these damn wetbacks have the NERVE to get mad at me because I dont speak spanish.... something needs to be done. Esta es America.... No hablo mojado. For you northerners that dont know what that means.... This is America... I dont speak wetback.

I plan on living forever... so far so good
Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:57 PM on j-body.org
^^ You forgot the Mullet bar.

---

Saturday, August 12, 2006 6:07 PM on j-body.org
Kuntry wrote:
John Wilken wrote:I still say the answer to illegal mexicans is to give them citizenship and let them travel the country freely. It's a big country, we have room for them.

Yup, could tell you aint from around Texas. When these damn wetbacks have the NERVE to get mad at me because I dont speak spanish.... something needs to be done. Esta es America.... No hablo mojado. For you northerners that dont know what that means.... This is America... I dont speak wetback.

Nope, not from Texas, I'm in Ohio. You wouldn't have a concentration of Mexican immigrants if they could legally travel around the country. We've got a sizeable Puerto Rican community here in Cleveland, I guarantee they didn't swim Lake Erie to get here.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search