V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!! - Page 7 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!!
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 4:39 AM on j-body.org
383 w/ approx. 8.5:1..15 psi..on a 268H com cam.it is a 15/8 primary header on the passenger side w/ a 3" crossover to the turbo header on the passenger side......why not boost a 383? there is no diference from boosting a 350 just more cubes which develops the need for more air which in turn requires a larger turbo. Also saying that my car is daily driven would be retarded......cooling is an issue especially on 90+ degree days

I'm that turbo V8 guy.....

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:02 AM on j-body.org
I said mine is daily driven, not yours. Stokers are kinda famous for overheating.. Heck, so were the 400small blocks some of the parts came from.

So you're making about 450HP with that setup? As a rough guess, 383 with 8.5:1 +15psi.. 450HP sounds about right.. Unless everything is realy well balanced and you can rev the snot out of it and get some extra ponies that way (see how revs can help with the power issue?)

Hmm, wouldn't a 12:1 383 make about 400HP anyway? What made you deside to go the turbo route?

PAX
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 6:39 AM on j-body.org
cavislo wrote:why not boost a 383?

long stroke+psi= not too good.

i wouldnt do it on a streeter anyways, way to much trq to be driveable

-Borsty
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:44 AM on j-body.org
It is built to handle more boost. but for obviously cooling problems It will sit where it is now........then maybe a comple more higher boost tunes.....good thing about the commander is I can have several tunes on disk for different boost levels....Im looking for the 600rwhp tune by AUgust hopefully.

Borsty...someone fed your head with a bunch of BS.......

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:00 AM on j-body.org
my s10 has a 350 tpi and i have overheating probs on hot days but it is also because my fan is not big enough to do its job but as far as 4 vs v8 my v8 is 100000000 times more fun than any 4cly i have ever diven.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 2:25 PM on j-body.org
Bortsy is right, long stoke + boot is usually a bad idea. You will need H-beam or better piston rods and long skirts to keep from tristing the rods and pins when the chamber pressure comes up. Generally stokers are built to be high comp. N/A engines. That's not to say it can't be done, but again, why?

Going for 600 WHP? Well then, you are running about where I guessed eh? about 450HP (maybe less, but just a bit).. You are NOT running 10s then are you.. More like 12s.. There ya go, a street drive 12s F-body.. You're right, that's not really all that rare.

So now things start to line up a little more with reality and it becomes obvious that my little 600cc bike would woop you

PAX

C'mon, admit it.. A 600cc I4 that makes 117HP, revs to 15000 rpm, has 4 40mm throttle bodies and 8 injectors (fuel is tricky above 11000 rpm) and comes with a warranty is damn cool. But not as cool as a 2 cyl. 250cc that makes about 160hp, but we'll get into that one later.
Thursday, July 06, 2006 4:03 AM on j-body.org
rwhp....I have manley H-beams,eagle 4340 crank and JE pistons...of my setup the stock block is the weakest point.......3500# w/ me in it....the only rthing holding me back is heat, which I plan on tackling here in a couple weeks.....the stock radiator still owns me....475rwhp turbo mustang down the road from me runs a 10.67 in a 3200# race wieght car......trust me by the time you were to bring your bike down I could have the tune....just could only make 1 pass and be done....

Thursday, July 06, 2006 4:56 AM on j-body.org
Is the track downhill? That mustang is running about 1/2 sec. fast. Are yopu sure it weighs that much.. My rather heavey Talon (with all the AWD drivetrain weight) comes in at 2850lbs and I was sure mustangs were lighter, like about 2600lbs. At 2600 lbs with 475HP a 10.2xx is possible.. That would make more sense. Did you actually weigh the car or read the "curb weight" off the door jam?

PAX
Thursday, July 06, 2006 5:46 AM on j-body.org
nope it is 3200 race weight...thats with him in it. The lightest mustangs were the 79-93 LX coupes some as light as 2900# stock. Pauls is a 93 hatch with minor weight loss. Street tires he hits 11s all day. Which I don't see how he does it...on street tires I roll into it at 35 and send them into a mushroom cloud....

This is Paul's cardomain..It doesn't look like he has updated it too recently. the car defies a lot of the things people are led to believe....

Thursday, July 06, 2006 6:42 AM on j-body.org
i understand you built it for more boost but still long strokers and boost dont go that well together from my experience.

especially if u start getting up there with the boost, what psi are you at now?

-Borsty
Thursday, July 06, 2006 7:31 AM on j-body.org
15 psi...I could see that problem if it were a stock rod motor...in that case you would be retarded to build a high hp motor with insufficient internals in the first place......

my bad here is pauls cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/340965

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:43 AM on j-body.org
mike crawford wrote:FTW = for the win

All my 17 years of drivin have been with four cylinder cars. Will never own anything but a four banger.

Hello ever heard of F1. They have been building V8+ motors w/small displacements for a long time. Oh and they run like RAPED APES...........
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:03 AM on j-body.org
Ian Mayberry wrote:
mike crawford wrote:FTW = for the win

All my 17 years of drivin have been with four cylinder cars. Will never own anything but a four banger.

Hello ever heard of F1. They have been building V8+ motors w/small displacements for a long time. Oh and they run like RAPED APES...........

are raped apes fast or slow. i have never raped or seen one get raped before so im kinda confused on this matter

Sunday, July 30, 2006 3:32 PM on j-body.org
4cyl FTL

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Monday, July 31, 2006 11:00 AM on j-body.org
Small displacement V8s (and 12s) were already mentioned. My favourite being the 1000cc V12 motorcycle that a crazy guy built. Sounds like a Ferrari, but it's a bike.. Too cool.

PAX
Monday, July 31, 2006 11:25 AM on j-body.org
Here's a LINK to a really cool 847cc V8 that made 120 HP.. Pretty cool..

Give THIS a listen to hear the Moto Guzi V8.

PAX
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search