485 people killed by trains in 2005 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
485 people killed by trains in 2005
Friday, August 25, 2006 2:53 PM on j-body.org
What?

I'm shocked too, so I'll repeat it: "Four hundred and eighty five people a year are hit by a train as they walk on the tracks."

How?

HOW?????????

A human being can zig zag, the train is on a mother@!#$ TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not chasing them down. It's not quietly sneaking up on them. What the hell is wrong with people?

Re: 485 people killed by trains in 2005
Friday, August 25, 2006 3:19 PM on j-body.org
Is this just in the us or world wide?
As far as people walking on the tracks and not getting out of the way I am not sure why. I am willing to bet there are a number of them that are suicides some are prolly people crossing and not realizing how fast the train is going and then there are the double tracks cross once one train goes by don't pay attention cross the second track and surprise surprise another train is coming.

Jabbles
Saturday, August 26, 2006 11:14 AM on j-body.org
All I can say is, its a good thing they die when they get hit because we dont want morons like that in the gene pool.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Saturday, August 26, 2006 11:50 AM on j-body.org
There was some bit on my local news channel a while back after a kid got smacked by a train.

They mentioned that if the train is coming up behind you, its harder to hear it until its too late. Now whether or not that's true, I don't really want to test it...

Quote:

A human being can zig zag, the train is on a mother@!#$ TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not chasing them down. It's not quietly sneaking up on them. What the hell is wrong with people?

Why does this remind me of a comedy bit I caught last week when flipping through channels? George Carlin I think it was...

Saturday, August 26, 2006 12:03 PM on j-body.org
Kardain wrote:There was some bit on my local news channel a while back after a kid got smacked by a train.

They mentioned that if the train is coming up behind you, its harder to hear it until its too late. Now whether or not that's true, I don't really want to test it...

Quote:

Why does this remind me of a comedy bit I caught last week when flipping through channels? George Carlin I think it was...

Thats what i was just going to post. The whole post is almost word for word a comedy bit

But to answer your question theres many ways it can happen. The biggest way, deaf people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 26, 2006 12:07 PM

Saturday, August 26, 2006 9:44 PM on j-body.org
The same reason that 400,000 people die from tobacco-related disease each year in the US alone. Stupidity.

BTW: cigarette smoke is responsible for more deaths each year than ones caused by AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, cocaine, crack, heroin, fires, homicide, and suicide combined. Talk about preventable!
Saturday, August 26, 2006 9:50 PM on j-body.org
Not this again... There's already a 4 page topic at the bottom of the page in regards to tobacco...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=36&i=44855&t=44855

If you must know, I smoke because I want to... not because anyone "pressured me into it." We all have to die someday, its much better choosing your bullet than being hunted down by a train

Saturday, August 26, 2006 11:10 PM on j-body.org
Kardain wrote:If you must know, I smoke because I want to... not because anyone "pressured me into it."

I don't care why you do it, I don't even care that you do it at all. I was merely saying that the same force is at work in both situations, stupidity. People smoke because they want to, although it's dumb, it's their right.

Kardain wrote: We all have to die someday, its much better choosing your bullet than being hunted down by a train

Theres nothing wrong with "choosing the bullet", it's the fact that your "pulling the trigger" too soon that makes it the wrong choice. Trading a few more years with your loved ones for an addiction is stupid and selfish IMO. To each their own though.
Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:09 AM on j-body.org
PFT, think about how the poor engineer must feel knowing his train killed someone!

Most people don't realize how long it takes for a train to stop, metal wheels on metal rails = no friction! It can take more then a mile to stop a train thats doing only 40mph.

Remember that the next time you try and beat a train at a grade crossing. BTW grade crossing accidents would be included in this # also.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 9:04 AM on j-body.org
Level crossings without active signals account for the majority of those deaths I bet.

It is quite easy to be hit by a train, don't knock it till you try it.

I lived no more than 150 yards from a freight line while growing up. I heard all the stories, saw the animals, ocasionally the car parts. These were not suicides or dumb people, just people who had a lapse in respect for the train or didn't know the area, didn't know the crossing was there, or were driving in fog. It happens.

PAX
Sunday, August 27, 2006 11:09 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

just people who had a lapse in respect for the train

RESPECT THE TRAIN, BIOTCH!

Yeah, I have seen people who didn't want to wait for the train (The Waukesha crossing at the Fox River) and actually drive around the arm barriers. Just barely getting by. People are in such a rush these days.

I have also heard the stories of people waiting to cross a track that was 2 or more tracks wide and they didn't see the 2nd train comming in the other direction. Remember these trains can get pretty long (blocking the view of and oncomming train), and with all the noise they make you won't know there is another one comming. At least that is what my Grandpa always told me.

I really think that if people used comman sense and took their time, there would never be any train related deaths. There is always someone in a rush or someone who is just plain stupidier then the general public.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:06 PM on j-body.org
All train / roadway crossing are known as grade crossings. Well at least by the railroads anyway.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:09 AM on j-body.org
At least i can sleep easily knowing that a healthy portion of those people will not pass on their flawed genetic material into the genepool.

Quote:

Trading a few more years with your loved ones for an addiction is stupid and selfish IMO. To each their own though.

If your loved ones cannot come to grips with death and are over 16 years old, The problem is not you--the problem is them. People die--sometimes calmly in old age, sometimes violently. Get used to it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, August 28, 2006 8:24 AM on j-body.org
I live in the Chicago area (burbs) and I drive my wife to the train station every morning and you would not believe how quiet some of these commuter trains are today.

I mean you can still her them well enough ahead of time to get out of the way. My wife was telling about this teacher that was riding her bike and the barriers were down but the train was stopped and loading people and so she went past them and bam another on coming train hit her.

Like the other guy said respect the train!
because I don't care what you are in the train will and I mean will win!
Monday, August 28, 2006 8:31 AM on j-body.org
So no one looks both ways before crossing the track?

If its at night I look for a light, and in the day I always look weather or not the bars are down or the lights are flashing. This is if I'm on foot or in my car its just common sense. Don't trust technology, it always fails when you need it the most.

-Chris

Monday, August 28, 2006 9:48 AM on j-body.org
I would say that most must look. Think about how many people cross railway tracks every day. It would be in the millions of crossings per day for sure. Under 500 deaths a year? Seems pretty good to me.

PAX
Monday, August 28, 2006 11:15 AM on j-body.org
^^^that is a good point, If we assume:

The average IQ around the world is about 100:

Therefore, half of the people are less than that.

Ergo, half of the world's population is DUMB. As in a bucket of slime mold dumb (and i apologize for insulting slime mold everywhere).

Somehow, out of 500M people, only about .0005% of these cretins managed to kill themselves by a train.

impressive, to say the least..

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Monday, August 28, 2006 12:00 PM on j-body.org
Railroad crossings are Darwin's best friend.

---

Monday, August 28, 2006 10:27 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]If your loved ones cannot come to grips with death and are over 16 years old, The problem is not you--the problem is them. People die--sometimes calmly in old age, sometimes violently. Get used to it.

I know what your saying, lifes a bitch and then you die. That doesn't mean that you should rush towards death, have you ever wished someone was around longer? It might be a selfish wish to make, but I want to grant that wish for my loved ones. Maybe I would feel differently if I believed in an afterlife. Ultimately you have a right to do what you want with your body, I'm just saying that I can't rationalize it.

-The forefathers were not necessarily right.
-Religion breeds self-righteousness.
-Ignoring problems rarely fixes them.
-All men are CREATED equal.
-We DO legislate morality.
-Justice does not exist.
-Rely only on yourself.
-Legalize marihuana.
-Gun control kills!
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:43 AM on j-body.org
I just rationalize freedom of choice. My brother smokes, I know it will kill him prematurely unless he quits, but then again, I have full permission to laugh at him and call him an idiot if he croaks--by my bro himself.

Granted, i'm not rushing towards death because i figure the longer i live, the more I'll piss off those that would rather have me dead.

Still, it's my bro's choice to smoke--he knows I think it's stupid, but i've said my piece and he still does it. If i can't come to terms with that, the problem is not him smoking, the problem is me living in Candy Land where there's nothing but gumdrops and rainbows.

Really, on an aside, I'm amazed how many adults are really children, since they can't come to terms with death--loved ones or their own. We're all going to die, so why not have that cigarette, eat that red meat, nail that stud/hottie, perfect your masturbation technique. Regret only happens when you fail to do what you should have to please someone else.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:29 AM on j-body.org
Yeah, I know whatcha mean, you only live once. I can understand that it's their right, I just don't agree with that conclusion. It's just my opinion and opinions are like a$$h0le$, everyone has one and they all stink. Nearly all of my family smokes and my grandmother (maw maw) died from it, so I'm used to second-hand smoke. People get upset because they don't want to be separated from someone they love, death is merely the means of the separation. I neither welcome( I get close), nor fear death.

-Religion breeds self-righteousness.
-Ignoring problems rarely fixes them.
-All men are CREATED equal.
-We DO legislate morality.
-Justice does not exist.
-Rely only on yourself.
-Legalize marihuana.
-Gun control kills!

Friday, September 01, 2006 5:07 AM on j-body.org
Im curious of how many of those deaths were crimes.

My cousin was pushed in front of a train when he was 15 years old and died immediately upon inpact. There was a mentally distrubed boy in the neighborhood who was literally obsessed with my cousin and he pushed him as he was walking to go to the mall to get something for my aunt (his mother, who that was her only child) since it was her birthday.

Sorry, but I'm not finding any humor or understanding in most of your comments.

Friday, September 01, 2006 12:07 PM on j-body.org
It sucks about your cousin. Terrible thing to have happen, especially on your Aunt's birthday. RIP

Like I said before.. People lack respect for the hundreds of thousands of tons of steel. Trains can be quiet, and it's easier to be hit by a train than some may think.

Living very close to a freight line, I saw the evidence of that fact far too often.

PAX
Friday, September 08, 2006 9:53 PM on j-body.org
There is a few way one could logically get hit without it being intentional / suicidal / stupid

1) Those new Amtrak / Via rail commuter trains, they are significantly less noisy than a regular train

2) Train coming around a corner, yes they are loud, but if it coming up behind you, it sounds similar to an airplane.

3) Winter at night at uncontrolled crossings, I've seen someone do this out in Alberta. In the winter the trains get covered with dirt / salt like everything else meaning they are completely unreflective. So if when you approach the crossing and the engine has all ready passed, the crossing would look dark like everything else. So being in a car you just cruse up to the crossing like there is no train, and you don't notice until its too late. You hit the brakes, slide in the slow and side swipe a train. Train wins

Anyway that’s my thoughts
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search