Best 4 Cylinder Engine - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Best 4 Cylinder Engine
Monday, February 12, 2007 8:06 PM on j-body.org
dodge 2.2/2.5 4 cylinder. turbo and/or n/a. hot rod magazine as well as other magazines and car enthusiast polls rates this the best, most fun, and easiest engine to modify in america. where else can u run 10's on a daily driven reliable 4 banger fo under 2 grand? my point exactly. it's mopar or no car. mest w/ the best and die like the rest. case closed. no further questions your honor.

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:38 PM on j-body.org
4G63=FTW!!

Nothing beats an engine, that in turbo form, can place a whuppin' on Mustangs, F-Bodies, and Corvettes. And this is with a few bolt-ons. Where else can you get a $1000 car, that with another $3k, you can easily make into a 12 sec car, that is reliable!!

I bought my 91 Talon TSi. front wheel drive, for $500 dollars. I put another $1500 into it, getting it running correctly, and tuning it. I took it to the track and ran a 12.9 @ 107mph. Front wheel drive! Torque steering, traction limited, 12.9 sec quarter mile.

Try that with any other 4 cylinder, and keep it reliable.
Monday, February 19, 2007 3:40 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

4G63=FTW!!

Nothing beats an engine, that in turbo form, can place a whuppin' on Mustangs, F-Bodies, and Corvettes. And this is with a few bolt-ons. Where else can you get a $1000 car, that with another $3k, you can easily make into a 12 sec car, that is reliable!!

I bought my 91 Talon TSi. front wheel drive, for $500 dollars. I put another $1500 into it, getting it running correctly, and tuning it. I took it to the track and ran a 12.9 @ 107mph. Front wheel drive! Torque steering, traction limited, 12.9 sec quarter mile.

Try that with any other 4 cylinder, and keep it reliable.

uuummmm you need to read my post and get educated cause your lil mitsu 4g63 just don't cut it as far as reliability issues are concerned. you wanna tell me that a 4g63 can be made faster, stronger, and more reliable for less money than the 2.2/2.5 turbo dodge?

Friday, February 23, 2007 11:19 AM on j-body.org
Daily driven 450HP 4G63T are not rare. Top HP I've heard is about 850HP, just insanity.

They are reliable, just do your maintenence. The turbo dodge engines are good, that's true, but who helped them design.. That's right, they're Mitsu too, just made buy chyco instead of Mitsu. The original deal way back with Mitsu was just for 4 cyl. engine designs. Sorry man, fact of life.

PAX
Friday, February 23, 2007 11:26 AM on j-body.org
k20

Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:27 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Daily driven 450HP 4G63T are not rare. Top HP I've heard is about 850HP, just insanity.

They are reliable, just do your maintenence. The turbo dodge engines are good, that's true, but who helped them design.. That's right, they're Mitsu too, just made buy chyco instead of Mitsu. The original deal way back with Mitsu was just for 4 cyl. engine designs. Sorry man, fact of life.

well what you said is true. mitsu did help dodge design the engine and supplied dodge w/ an a$$load of turbochargers, however the 4g63/t and mopars 2.2/2.5 are still two completely designed engines. and where else can you run 12 sec 1/4's for under 1500.00 w/out touching the bottom end on a 4 banger? thats my point. i was only talking $hit earlier when i mentioned about the 4g63 being an unreliable engine, because it is in a way. how ever the no. 1 spot for reliability and cheep speed still and always will go to...........

Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:37 PM on j-body.org
strohlly7 wrote:
Quote:

well what you said is true. mitsu did help dodge design the engine and supplied dodge w/ an a$$load of turbochargers, however the 4g63/t and mopars 2.2/2.5 are still two completely designed engines. and where else can you run 12 sec 1/4's for under 1500.00 w/out touching the bottom end on a 4 banger? thats my point. i was only talking $hit earlier when i mentioned about the 4g63 being an unreliable engine, because it is in a way. how ever the no. 1 spot for reliability and cheep speed still and always will go to...........

Absolutely!!

I know for a FACT that the Dodge engine cannot handle more than 250whp from the factory, save maybe the 2.2L 16 valve.

The 4G63T can reliably handle 400 whp on a stock bottom end. Many have done it. I have a lot of respect for the Turbo Dodges, especially after being smoked at the track by a low 12 sec Turbo Caravan, but there is no way that the stock bottom ends of the 2.2/2.5 can handle that, reliably.

I have a 2G Talon with a 91 6 Bolt swap. It has a stock rebuilt bottom end, and I reliably make over 300whp on pump gas all day long, and I know it can handle more. The only mod that is planned for that engine is a set of ARP Head Stubs so I can throw more boost at it. :-)

Only other 4 cyl that I can give crazy repect for is the EcoTec. I drool everytime I see the Solstice GXP.
Monday, February 26, 2007 6:21 AM on j-body.org
the best 4 cyl in my opinion is the B-series motors from Honda.
Monday, February 26, 2007 10:02 AM on j-body.org
Well, well well...

Lotsa good responses and I learned quite a bit here.

The Ecotec was a big favorite. Other names that kept popping up were Mitsu 4G63 , Dodge 2.2/2.5, Toyota 22R, Honda 1.6/1.8, VW Air Cooled and my own choice of the Ford 2.3 Lima engine.

Reliability in my mind is a strong factor, but not ULTIMATE reliability. I'd rather go fast than drive a tank you know? At the same time I'd like the engine to survive a good pain free 50-75k after a buildup. So you don't want the equivalent of a racehorse geeked on speed either.

The Mitsu seems to win for top potential in a street-ish combo. Next (always in my own opinion) is the Ford 2.3 Lima and the Dodge 2.2/2.5 with the advantage to Ford because it's a RWD design and fits in a Mustang. Next is Honda with the B-series engine which provides less top power than all of the above but MASSIVE reliability. The VW gets some love for it's simplicity and cheapness and lego-like ease of build. Finally the Toyota 22R gets a shout-out for it's indestructibilty but a few boos for a total and complete lack of power, lack of potential and fuel economy that can bested by a Corvette LT1.

There were other names dropped as well but these were the ones that struck me.

With this in mind the following would be a wise choise for someone wanting to build something fast and cheap:

1990-97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX/Plymouth Laser RS Turbo/Eagle Talon TSi (Need I say that AWD models are preffered?)
1979-86 Ford Mustang/Mercury Capri 2.3 Turbo models (ALL 1979-93 Mustangs can be had with the N/A 2.3, which can be modded)
1984-89 Merkur XR4Ti
1984-88 Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe/Mercury Cougar XR7 (1984-86)
1983-92 Dodge/Chrysler FWD Turbo cars and vans (too many to list)
1993-06 Honda Civic/Acura Integra (1988-01)/Acura RSX (01-06)

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:10 PM on j-body.org
DSM hands down, they break alot but thats anything that makes power.

------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:00 AM on j-body.org
i'm not too familiar w/ the ecotec breed at all but i have heard many good things about the motor.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:08 PM on j-body.org
cavmania wrote:DSM hands down, they break alot but thats anything that makes power.

They only break when they are not properly taken care of or tuned. I've killed two modified DSMs, and both due to my own stupidity. My 90 FWD TSi I blew up because I cranked the boost a little to high on a weak headgasket. My 91 AWD I blew up the tranny at the track when I attempted a 7K rpm clutch drop with drag radials and over 400lbs/ft of torque.

But then again any car will do that.
Friday, March 16, 2007 3:21 AM on j-body.org
Honda's k20 motor thats in the RSX Type-s and the S2000 motor are hands down the best naturaly aspirated 4 cylinder motors on the market, i mean come on 8K and 9K redlines pushing 100hp per liter? and far as turbo 4 bangers go i would say the 4G63 has top honors.. I mean look at all the modded GST's and GSX's out there, and now that we have the EVO in the states, once again the 4G63 proves wut its worth...
Friday, March 16, 2007 3:32 AM on j-body.org
Want gob of naturally aspirated HP/L? How about the Yamaha R6 engine or the Honda CBR600. The CBR makes about 117HP with only 600cc displacement. Redline is a screaming 15 000 RPM. 117/.6= 195 BHP/L and it not the peekiest of bike engines, some 600s can make 140hp (in a very narrow band, but still) that would be about 230BHP/L. Torque? Not really, hense the insane rev limits, but still very tight, technical little engines that make tons of fun for their owners. Bikes are suprisingly reliable considering the extremes they endure.

My Hat off to the designers at HRC, Yamaha Motors, Suzuki (bikes only) and Kawasaki Heavy industries for making gobs of power with tiny packages.

PAX
Friday, March 16, 2007 3:28 PM on j-body.org
I'm saying LD9 because I can run the hell out of my car and have zero problems with it ever. It's a strong motor and I've put a beating on about all the 4 bangers around whether it be a turbo talon or a vtec Honda or Acura.

98 Trans Am
6.0, L92 heads, LS3 intake, TSP 231/236 cam, and much more

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:44 PM on j-body.org
I would have to say either the majority that has been mentioned or gm's iron duke... I mean you can run it low on oil and anything else and it will still keep going.

Team GREEN

2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
16.8.1 compression... 360hp.... 650tq.... stock

Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:07 PM on j-body.org
Overall, in a car, I'd have to go with the 4g63.... the engines themselves are incredibly reliable... whereas the DSMs themselves, arent't so much. Factor in the price/age.... it still is the reigning king... for a little while longer.

NA.... have to go with honda... K series all the way.

Boosted... I think the new ECOTECs are going to be showing everybody whats up for years to come. Damn things are near bulletproof.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe Im just pissed, pissed that my freinds are spineless, What else would you
call abandoment some night, when you're in a fight, and they could make things right?
Spineless. I miss some of my old friends, the ones who you could count on,
bet a huge amount on, the fact that they'd always have your back... Its like a kick in
the sack, just knowing, you've got nothing to fall back on. @!#$ this, Im done.
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:46 AM on j-body.org
EJ20
B18

13.1 @ 115
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:15 PM on j-body.org
Im gonna agree w/ Knoxfire, and go w/ the 2.3 Lima ford engine, I throw 20 psi boost at my Thunderbird turbo all day w/ out a hiccup. Its got forged pistons, heavy duty bearings, piston oil squirters, and sodium filled exhaust valves

Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:42 PM on j-body.org
The 4G63T has sodium valves, forged internals, oil squirters all over the plce, including pisons (a crap one at the thrust bearring in the 7 bolt version) and the stock bottom end can handle 400 to 450 HP without any modification at all. 400 is safe, 450 has been done but no promises they can all handle it.

Mine has it's low boost setting at 19PSI, from a forced performance T28(big). The high boost setting makes me a little nervous, but its at 23 PSI for now. No issues with the engine at all.

Top published HP from that block is well over 800HP. Not bad for a 2litre inline 4.. Not bad at all.

PAX
Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:51 PM on j-body.org
I have a 92 tempo with a 2.3 ohv and 170,000 miles. I cracked the head at 164,000 where water was mixing with the oil. I fixed it with an $8 can of k&w block seal and still running since. This is my pick since I only owned two other four cyl. Will update when it dies. lol. im think ill mke it to 250,000 at least.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:19 PM on j-body.org
Wow...can't believe nobody has mentioned the W41 yet....or even just the 2.3 H.O. Back in the day it was unheard of for an N/A 4 banger to make that much power.

'02 S-10 ZR-2 & '89 Mustang LX Hatch
My car: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4478be41-8f79-402a-85f1-98f3013c716f.htm

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 5:32 PM on j-body.org
i would also have to go with the 4G63 even though i hate Mitsus. one word...Evo. but i think subie's EJ is good also. but im suprised no one metioned the toyota 4AGE. one of the best engines ive ever owned. 9000RPM redline, and 140HP out of a 1.6 back in the early 80s wasnt easy. plus came supercharged in the 87 MR2s to make it even faster. nand i will bet money that a stock MR2 will beat out any ford I4, honda, non turboed mitsu, or non turboed Subie. also in 1988 car and driver tested the MR2 supercharged automatic and had a faster 0-60 time than any other car they have ever tested, faster than any porshe, mustang, and corvette and still holds the record the last time i checked.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3122441
Friday, April 06, 2007 7:05 PM on j-body.org
2.5L Iron Duke out of my old 87 -Chevy S10

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:42 PM on j-body.org
Iron Duke...

Everything Louder than Everything else
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search