Long-standing sore spot - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Long-standing sore spot
Friday, September 08, 2006 7:58 AM on j-body.org
Gets a band-aid.... better than ignoring it like the last ambassador...

I looked for an article link, but couldn't find it. If it's anywhere it's on www.canoe.ca (Sun media global site).
Pardon the typos if they crop up...

Quote:

Bright light in dark hour.

David H. Wilkins, US Ambassador to Canada.

My country is marking a somber, yet sacred and special anniversary: Five years since the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks. It is a time of remembrance and reflection.

For most Americans and indeed, for many millions around the world, we'll always remember what happened that day: Where we were, and who we were with when we first heard the news.

We'll remember a specific image - a firefighter's last stand, a flag raising from twisted rubble, a candle in the night.

I wasn't serving in Canada on Sept 11, 2001. But I know how Canadians reacted to the shocking news.

Thousands gathered on Parliament Hill for a memorial service in my country's honour and in cities large and small across this country, countless individuals came together to express their sorrow and offer their help.

I've seen poignant pictures of the hundreds of planes landed on Canadian airfields and heard the stories of how Canadians opened up their hearts and homes to the thousands of scared and stranded passengers in those dark days following the worst terror attack in U.S. history.

It's been said: "Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it."

So as my country marks five years since that fateful day, I want to express to our Canadian friends on behalf of the U.S. our continuing thanks and deepest gratitude.

In the 14 months Susan and I have priviledged to be here in your vast and beautiful country, we've done a lot of traveling, visiting every province and territory.

We feel blessed to have experienced the same kind of generosity of spirit the Canadian people showed to our fellow citizens five years ago when destiny would land them here at Canada's door and into your welcoming arms.

For days following the attacks and the closing of North American airspace, Canadians cared for these stranded and weary airline passengers as if they had always been expected. And for these fortunate travellers, grace and mercy and overwhelming human kindness are also their images of 9/11.

Five years ago in the daze and confusion of what had just happened and the certain peril of what layed ahead, President Bush prayed that, "God would watch over us, grant us patience and resolve in all that is to come."

And now, five years later, we know we're still vulnerable. We still need protection, and perhaps more than ever, patience and resolve in even greater measure as heros fall on distant battlefieldsa and the enemies of freedom wage war against our way of life.

These are difficult times but I believe our highest values will prevail, the values we share with Canada and with all other freedom-loving peoples.

They are the very opposite values of those who use hate and fear as weapons, who turn civillian airplanes into missiles and target the innocent. We cannot and do not a world led by those who brought us 9/11.

And so five years later, we persevere. And we pray. We honour the victims of 9/11 and the rescue workers, volunteers and ordinary citizens, and all the troops and their families who have made freedom's cause their own.

The people of the United States of America offer our heartfelt gratitude, respect and appreciation to the citizens of Canada. We will never forget your compassion, your empathy and your open arms five years ago.

Canada was a shining light in our darkest hour.

Thanks David.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: Long-standing sore spot
Friday, September 08, 2006 9:40 AM on j-body.org
Thank you Mr. Ambassador.

PAX
Friday, September 08, 2006 2:33 PM on j-body.org
Friday, September 08, 2006 2:41 PM on j-body.org
This amazes me...

An american showing gratitude to someone else for a selfless act? Someone had better check if Satan has ordered antifreeze.

In kind, i apologize on behalf of all Americans for The Brady Bunch, Hanson, and our @!#$ty beer.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, September 08, 2006 7:23 PM on j-body.org
Keeper: I don't know if you remember the President's address on 2001/09/12, but Canada got a serious snub... Bush exulted about a half dozen countries, but not even a mention was given to us in the whole speech, or for over 3 months.

Get over it, right? Well, if you do someone a favor (even in selflessness) them saying thanks is common courtesy. It took the former Ambassador over 3 months to say "well, nothing was said to Canadians because it just goes to show how close you are to us." Most Canadians took it as just plain rudeness... Keep in mind, Paul Celucci has been quoted bitching about not getting the post he thought he deserved (Italy), and basically tried to goad two Prime Ministers into committing to the Iraq war.

Anyhow, the folks that were staying @ my folks' place were utterly aghast when they saw the "omission," and one of them wrote his congressman and the President (and got very nice boilerplate letters in return apparently) a 3 page diatribe. Once I get their e-mail addresses from my mom and dad I'll send them the text... Better late than never.

And... no need to apologize... we're responsible for Celine Dion. 'Nuff said.

Saturday, September 09, 2006 6:49 AM on j-body.org
GAM, you do realize our president has the short term memory of a house fly?

Chances are he was up there giving the speach, going in alphabetic order and all. And forgot C.

And for Paul Celucci... well, Paul Celucci.

And your right, you guys are responsible for Celion Dion, Nickleback, and a whole slew of bad music that has plagued our radios.

You get ride of Nickelback, so that its never played again, and I will persoanlly rent air time on national television to make sure Canadians never have go through hell again!

I wrote this post a long time ago, a real long time ago, back in 94.
Saturday, September 09, 2006 7:10 AM on j-body.org
Just make a drinkable beer and I will call it even...

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Saturday, September 09, 2006 2:11 PM on j-body.org
Emor8T: They're not making any more albums...

As we speak, they're in my basement with Nautica.

You shant worry about Nickleback.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:32 AM on j-body.org
thank @!#$ god.

I wrote this post a long time ago, a real long time ago, back in 94.
Sunday, September 10, 2006 12:53 PM on j-body.org
Nor Nautica.

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:46 AM on j-body.org
The problem is that American citizens are always lumped in with the actions and words of our "leaders"... and that Americans, blindly follow said "leaders" like sheep. People are afraid to take a stand because they think that no matter what they do, it won't make a difference. I can understand amidst the chaos that day, and the fear, forgetting to say thank you during the short time following the events. But that's the problem with society nowadays. People forget to say "thank you", or "I'm sorry", or "you're welcome" or anything of the sorts. We've become so wrapped up in our own lives that little common courtesies are often forgotten.

How hard is it to take one second out of your day to say "thank you", or hold a door open for someone, any of those simple things in life? It's not, but we as a society of people have gotten "too busy", or simply haven't been raised and taught the values that our grandparents have been.

Canada didn't HAVE to do jack that day... but they did. They did open up their border, their homes, to help those who were displaced during that tradgedy. In my opinion, a simple thanks can't convey the gratitude that we as a Nation should have displayed that day... but it would have at least been a start. That was an awesome thing Canada did for those on those flights that were diverted, and should not be forgotten.

On a side note, what makes me sick is that it would seem politicians are using the 5th anniversary of the attacks to further their political agenda during the upcomming elections.

Monday, September 11, 2006 12:04 PM on j-body.org
As a Canadian, I am satrisfied with a simple "Thank you".

You're welcome. That's what friends do.

PAX
Monday, September 11, 2006 3:09 PM on j-body.org
Ditto here.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search