Putting myself on the chopping block! - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Putting myself on the chopping block!
Friday, November 10, 2006 11:31 PM on j-body.org
Rollinredcavi wrote:

So someone said the "war on terror" is like the "war on drugs". Your damn right. Except for the fact that the war on drugs doesnt blow up a building. If that is not enough to make you want to seek out every terrorist, then your not worth the time of day for anyone to protect you, it is unamerican to protect someone who does not believe in the goal of freedom. Take it or leave it. Our fouding fathers did not know about nuclear weapons (which saddam could have made in like 5 years, yes they found tons of Uranium in Iraq) that could destroy a city the size of the country at their time.

That was me. And no, the "war on drugs" may not blow up a building, but THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS die each year needlessly just like in the "war on terror". People kill FOR money for drugs, people kill people because they got ripped off on the drugs they bought or sold, rival drug dealers kill other drug dealers and their families at times, not to mention the addicts that either:

1. Rob people to get stuff to pawn/sell to get money for drugs
2. Kill someone to get drugs or money for drugs
3. "Sell themselves" for money for drugs or for drugs, often at times contributing to the spread of disease....

... the list can go on. So yeah... the war on drugs is almost exactly like the war on terror, minus terrorism usually stems from hatred of someone out of either jealousy, different beliefs, greed, or different ways of life. And, no matter how much money or manpower you throw at either of them, until terrorism or drugs are totally gone, neither will stop.

Point being, well... let's take....................Sweden for example. How often do you hear of terrorists attacking Sweden? Rarely, if ever. Why? They keep to themselves, and don't but their noses into where they're not wanted.

The United States cannot police the world on their own. It is not the job of the United States to police the world, period. If the UN has a mission, we're part of the UN... we should help. Saddam posed no imminate threat to the US. He had nothing to do with 911, and in that study I posted about that was in the paper (yet I cannot find a link to at the moment), it even mentioned that Saddam saw Osama as much of a threat to him and his country as we did see him a threat to us. I'm not denying Saddam was/is a horrible person. The point was, our initial mission in the middle east was to find Osama, and "somehow", we lost focus on that and went head first into Iraq and focused more on that than finding the ba$tard that had people fly OUR planes into OUR buildings. We had to reason to go into Iraq when and like we did. If we focused more on getting things in order on the homefront than policing the world, we'd be less at risk of terrorist attacks than we are now. Unless we are directly attacked, we should not go with military force into any country without the blessing and aid of the UN. We just can't do it in the world we live in today.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:28 PM on j-body.org
[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]
Rollinredcavi wrote:

So someone said the "war on terror" is like the "war on drugs". Your damn right. Except for the fact that the war on drugs doesnt blow up a building. If that is not enough to make you want to seek out every terrorist, then your not worth the time of day for anyone to protect you, it is unamerican to protect someone who does not believe in the goal of freedom. Take it or leave it. Our fouding fathers did not know about nuclear weapons (which saddam could have made in like 5 years, yes they found tons of Uranium in Iraq) that could destroy a city the size of the country at their time.

That was me. And no, the "war on drugs" may not blow up a building, but THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS die each year needlessly just like in the "war on terror". People kill FOR money for drugs, people kill people because they got ripped off on the drugs they bought or sold, rival drug dealers kill other drug dealers and their families at times, not to mention the addicts that either:

1. Rob people to get stuff to pawn/sell to get money for drugs
2. Kill someone to get drugs or money for drugs
3. "Sell themselves" for money for drugs or for drugs, often at times contributing to the spread of disease....

Is it really that bad if the bottom feeders in our society are killing eachother? Yeah I know that there are people who get robbed or get caught in the "crossfire", but personaly, if gangs want to kill eachother, let them do so. In fact I always thought if may be some form of entertainment to set up a Roman Coliseum type place to let them Iron out there differences. Now of course there are some people making loads of money selling drugs, yet they may never even touch the drugs themselves, just set up the deals, but many of them are caught every year. I think we have all seen that there have been studys done that show drug use is on a decline, although only by a quite small amount, but it has held there for quite a while.

But for terroist, they are not going after the low life that is robbing, killing, and selling themselves. They are targeting every single american alive. Yourself, your friends, your family, and anyone else in this country and many others. Will we ever eliminate terrorism, highly unlikely but not impossible. But if you do things like 1. pull out of Iraq before they have had some time to stabilize 2. take troops out of the middle east in general 3. stop supporting Israel, your just going to give the terrorists 1. the feeling that they are winning, when they are far from that 2. give them a counrty that wont be able to defend itself quite yet, where they could set up large training camps 3. turn the whole middle east into the perfect environment for Islamic facists to begin making nuclear weapons and carrying out their plan to eliminate all "infidels" from the face of the earth.

I would rather have troops continue fighting an un-winnable war while keeping these facists from carrying out their "God given plans" to kill everyone.
Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:44 PM on j-body.org
The elimination of Terrorism as well as the elimination of recreational drug abuse requires the dedication to see the problem through to the solution, and the realization that part of the solution may require you to acknowledge your own complicity in the problem.

BTW RRC: Which fascists carrying out their "God given plans?" Remember how a General of the Army said Dubya was appointed by God to carry out a crusade?

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 5:09 PM on j-body.org
I'd like to see how i'm being a hypocrite. I know that everyone is one to SOME extent conscious or not, such is human nature, but i don't see how not wanting to buy into the government "protecting" us from terrorists at the expense of my freedoms and liberties is hypocritical.

Further, how would i deal with a terrorist that blows me up instantly? The same way i live with the knowledge that a volcano could spring up under my feet anyday or at work i could get nailed by a tsunami without any warning. I accept it as fact that i have no natural right to life and that i could die at any time.

However, in the event that a terrorist does happen to be on my plane and tries to take the thing over, you bet your ass i'd fith them tooth and talon. After all, it's my life on the line and if i'm going to die anyway at least let it be fighting for my own skin rather than cowering like a mewling pantywaist.

If you want to go and stand up for a cause you love and feel is worth fighting for and band together with people in an abstract concept that you feel is greater than you are, then fine. Just don't call me a hypocrite when i don't buy into it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:24 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]

Just don't call me a hypocrite when i don't buy into it.

Thats not what I said you were being hypocritical about. I am saying that I have seen you complain about politicians being selfish in thier ways, but yet you have said there is nothing wrong with selfishness a couple times on this post. What gives?

GAM- Yeah, you have to follow through on everything. I am not so sure the war on terror and be "Won" per say, but no group of facists can continue producing large scale operations on a regular basis if they are constantly being attacked and killed. How many al quida leaders have we taken out so far? I really dont know numbers but it is quite a few. Now they have to have constant replacements with others who are not as experienced and dont have as many "connections" as thier predicesors. Whether people want to say it or not, the terrorist organizations are scrambling for ways to keep up. Just like any organization that loses a good portion of its leaders.

And are you saying that because an Army General says somthing dumb like that, it means Bush believes that? And more than likely the gerneral was saying so in a sarcastic manner because the cause for the war was so great. I dont buy for a second that the general meant it literaly in any form. And yes the terrorists are facists.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:19 AM on j-body.org
I actualy think Bush does. After all, it seems like Bush believes in his own Bull@!#$.

And really, i'm complaining that they are selfish and arogant, yes, but i'm complaining about it along the lines of the defect in the system that not only allows them to be in positions of office, but that the people actually tolerate it.

On a personal level, i could care less. Yes, i think Bush is an @!#$, but i'm not a hypocrite for that unless i think my @!#$ doesn't stink. I KNOW i'm just as big of an @!#$ as he is.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:14 AM on j-body.org
[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]There was some sort of military study or other government study done (that was in the paper a week or three ago) where they concluded in their investigation that we are actually more at risk of terror with Bush in the office now than we were before. I've been saying that for a while. Generally speaking, the world stood behind us when we went into Afganistan. We had every right to go there after September 11th. Oddly, no sooner than we were in Afganistan all the sudden we're in Iraq. As far as Iraq goes, the smarter thing to have been done would have been to gather more evidence and get UN blessings to go. We didn't, now there's tons of people ticked off at the US. (If someone knows the study that was done that the US is at more risk of a terror attack than pre-9/11 it would be greatly appreciated).

I have to agree with fallen angel on this comment, after 9/11 we went into Afganistan to get the criminals responbible for the attack on the trade centers, and the ones harboring them, and the rest of the world was backing us on that, to date we still have not caught them, and now have those that were behind us to start, are breaking ties with us because the goverment lost focus on what we set out to do, reason, Bush decided that hey since were so close to Iraq, lets go finish what my Daddy didn't finish when he was in office, i don't believe for one second that the supposed "WMD's" that he mentioned as reasoning for going in was on his mind, this fight was personal and he needed some reason to get in there to take the guy out, that tried to take out his daddy. You know everyone brings up 9/11, but everyone forgets about pearl harbor, would we today consider them terrorists? i dont remeber reading in my history books that every american had to give up their rights at that time, yes what the goverment did to the japanesse americans was wrong and should never have happened, but still there was no call for the goverment to be able to montior our lifes. Also everyone says we are fighting in Iraq for "our freedom", ummmm, last time i checked i was free to do as i please based on the guidelines that were set out by our forefathers, and for the ones that protected our land from outside military forces, that had the capiablty to bring the fight to us, that wanted to destroy us.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 3:59 PM on j-body.org
Rollinredcavi wrote:
And are you saying that because an Army General says somthing dumb like that, it means Bush believes that? And more than likely the gerneral was saying so in a sarcastic manner because the cause for the war was so great. I dont buy for a second that the general meant it literaly in any form. And yes the terrorists are facists.

Condsidering Dubya's power base is rooted in the Christian Right (and good ol boys like Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, and mouthy Pat Robertson), and that he's made more than a couple allusions to the war on terror as being a crusade... I was being a jerk at first, but seriously, I worry a LOT about a President that owes his political fortunes to scoundrels the likes of Carl Rove, and the above listed individuals and their sheeple.

And the Terrorists are Despots. Fascists are a lot more organized.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:18 PM on j-body.org
The terrorist were very organized. Now they are all flustered because of quick action. We all know they didnt expect us to come over that quick.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:54 PM on j-body.org
They're flustered?

*thinks back about Iraq*
*thinks back about London Bombings*
*thinks back about Madrid Bombings*
*thinks back about Afghanistan*

Yeah... they're flustered... They're still getting money, their leadership is more or less in tact, and they're gaining new recruits.

What's your definition of "Defeated"?

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:34 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:They're flustered?

*thinks back about Iraq*

Yeah... they're flustered... They're still getting money, their leadership is more or less in tact, and they're gaining new recruits.

*Thinks back about Iraq* If the Terrorists were organized you would see more than a road side bombing. A road side bombing is more an act of despiration than anything.
*thinks back about London Bombings* Yeah, back when they were still quite organized
*thinks about Madrid Bombings* Same as above
*Thinks back about Afghanistan* Yup we have many terrorist interests here, unfortunatly Afghanistan has more allies than Iraq. So invade afghanitan and we have worldly enemys. Invade Iraq and we are where we are not. People saying oh you shouldnt be there, but doing nothing more to us than that. Iraq is the perfect base of covert operations against the middle east. Thank God we took it over.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:18 PM on j-body.org
Rollinredcavi wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:They're flustered?

*thinks back about Iraq*

*Thinks back about Iraq* If the Terrorists were organized you would see more than a road side bombing. A road side bombing is more an act of despiration than anything.
*thinks back about London Bombings* Yeah, back when they were still quite organized
*Thinks back about Afghanistan* Yup we have many terrorist interests here, unfortunatly Afghanistan has more allies than Iraq. So invade afghanitan and we have worldly enemys. Invade Iraq and we are where we are not. People saying oh you shouldnt be there, but doing nothing more to us than that. Iraq is the perfect base of covert operations against the middle east. Thank God we took it over.

I just answered this stuff in the "How would YOU run the war?" thread - but I did so only 2 minutes before your post here so I doubt you had a chance to read it first - so time for me to be lazy and copy it over here.

Bastardking3000 wrote:
Rollinredcavi wrote:Thats why we need to stay there for another....IDK 10, 20 ,45 years. We have set the middle east into somthing they never thought they would see. Not only that, if we stay there, Iraq will be the biggest target for terrorists, not the US.

A few problems with that idea -

1. Iraq being a target for terrorist does not mean that the US is no longer a target - or even a lessor target than before. That aside - I'd say that Israel has been, and still is, the biggest target for terrorist by a large margin - a concept which has failed to spare the US, Spain, and the United Kingdom from terrorist attacks. The terrorist attacks in Spain and the UK happened DURING OUR OCCUPATION OF IRAQ. Consider that notion a myth.

2. Iraq is unstable - very unstable. It may not be long before there is a full scale civil war(really it already kinda is a small scale civil war). If there is we really won't be able to stop it and the current "Government" there will mean nothing. There is at least a decent chance that this civil war may spread to other countries in the region too. Forget the high oil prices this will cause - we'll be really up a creek without a paddle when we have to ration gas(you can only purchase "X" gallons a month etc) or even better when most of your local gas stations are flat out of gas.

3. The Iraq government cannot handle being a high priority terrorist target in the long term. Hell it isn't handling things so well with the greatest military in the world backing them up - how are they gonna do when we leave or even when we start reducing troop counts?! As is - what are they gonna do if the insurgency grows any larger?!

4. For many many years - many in the middle east believed that the US wanted to conquer the region. Then we attacked Afghanistan - and rightfully so - but that aroused a little more suspicion in a few. The fact that we had a right to go there made it not that bad though - most people didn't buy the idea. THEN - we invaded Iraq. What used to sound like conspiracy theory talk before started looking alot more like reality - and honestly I can see where they would get that impression to some extent. Hell I'm not so sure that wasn't Bush's plan - to use Afghanistan and Iraq as a staging ground for taking over more countries - Syria, Iran, etc - in fact there has been plenty of talk by us on potentially using military force against them - while we're still not even done in Iraq or Afghanistan!!

5. See reason 4. Iraq is a major source of inspiration in radical young and uneducated Islamic men. Sure most of the middle east hated us before - but there is a difference between hating someone and actively trying to kill someone. For many - Iraq IS that difference.

6. If we fail in Iraq - no matter if the government collapses or if there is a full scale civil war there that we're powerless to stop - terrorist WILL claim this as a victory of "the soldiers of God over the forces of evil"(that is how they see it anyways). This will greatly multiply problem 5.

7. This sham of a war is costing our soldiers dearly - and this is I price I would never have asked them too pay. The cost is too high. The juice(assuming we EVER see any "juice" out of this) is not worth the squeeze.

Fact is - now there are a lot more terrorist than there used to be - and more terrorist means that they can more easily strike anywhere across the globe - they don't have to "focus attacks" on Israel, Iraq, the US, or anywhere in particular. They generally launch rouge cells - the leadership isn't even that important outside of backrolling it all(why OSB still is dangerous). Kill all their leaders and they can still launch attacks against everyone - esp. with the additional recruits they have gotten out of this. Iraq has made us safer?! I think not. Iraq has made the entire world a more dangerous place to live.

I'm sure some of you still think that it has made us safer - and will point to the lack of any more sucessful attacks against us as the "proof" of this. People may feel the same way about Bush too and will use the same "proof." Well I have a rock that keeps tigers out of my yard. I can prove it too - look in my yard... no tigers anywhere around - that proves that it works If fact I don't even see tigers anywhere in my neighborhood!! Wait a minute - no terrorist in my neighborhood either... THIS ROCK IS AWESOME!!

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Friday, November 17, 2006 2:26 PM on j-body.org
Rollinredcavi wrote:

Seems to me they're doing A LOT more than just IEDs.
TODAY 3 DAYS AGO Over the last 3 years HERE. Also, you have to understand that there are 2 distinct terror groups there: Fedayeen Hussein (Home grown forces) and Islamic terrorists.

Quote:

What's this "Back When" ? More on this:

Quote:

Uh huh...

Okay let's recap this:
- Afghanistan: Still LOADS of Al-quaeda in the country, still TONS of warlords, it's still a borderline state, and still tons of open territory. It's the highest producer of opium.
- Iraq pre-invasion: Not a friendly place, but it had no terrorism links, no WMDs or CBRN program. There was a lot of hot air from Hussein about paying suicide bombers' families (that never materialized into anything concrete either).

Afghanistan is where Bin Laden and company was (possibly IS after a sojourn into Pakistan), and still have bases and have been spotted training people. Iraq hadn't made a real aggressive move against any country for over 4 years, and had no links to international terrorism.

Your President orders your troops to pretty much cut and run before the job is done, and what is happening there? The same thing. The US basically left a token force in Afghanistan compared to what was in there before Iraq became prime.

The job still isn't done in Afghanistan. How can you support a President that no interest whatsoever in getting the job done?

Friday, November 17, 2006 5:33 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
Rollinredcavi wrote:

Seems to me they're doing A LOT more than just IEDs.
TODAY 3 DAYS AGO Over the last 3 years HERE. Also, you have to understand that there are 2 distinct terror groups there: Fedayeen Hussein (Home grown forces) and Islamic terrorists.

Quote:

What's this "Back When" ? More on this:

Quote:

Okay let's recap this:
- Afghanistan: Still LOADS of Al-quaeda in the country, still TONS of warlords, it's still a borderline state, and still tons of open territory. It's the highest producer of opium.
- Iraq pre-invasion: Not a friendly place, but it had no terrorism links, no WMDs or CBRN program. There was a lot of hot air from Hussein about paying suicide bombers' families (that never materialized into anything concrete either).

Afghanistan is where Bin Laden and company was (possibly IS after a sojourn into Pakistan), and still have bases and have been spotted training people. Iraq hadn't made a real aggressive move against any country for over 4 years, and had no links to international terrorism.

Your President orders your troops to pretty much cut and run before the job is done, and what is happening there? The same thing. The US basically left a token force in Afghanistan compared to what was in there before Iraq became prime.

The job still isn't done in Afghanistan. How can you support a President that no interest whatsoever in getting the job done?

Well... you actually hit quite a couple of topics that even the biggest anti-war people have begun to agree with GWB on. WMD's, most of our country seems to think WMD's are nuclear weapons. So Bush said "no we didnt find WMD's" thats where his lack in public speaking caught up with him. WMD's are classified as chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons. We found thousands of gallons of gases used to make WMD's in Iraq. Yeah, Saddam even launched some on Kuwait. GAM, your a guy that pays attention to stuff, you know that he launched chemical weapons on his own people. And you have also seen the report about the "missing weapons" just before 2004 presidential elections that democrats tried using as an election tool. Well they even stated in news reports that this included gasses and liquids used to created chemical weapons. The whole WMD's thing, I would think someone as smart as you would know is true.

So your saying that there is no concrete evidence that Saddam paid terrorists? Well, there is no concrete evidence that Osama was the 9/11 attacks head honcho. All we had was his word and links to extremist groups. But obviously our government had much more information than the general public, as it should be. I actually find it kind of funny that people question Bush on topics like the war on Iraq because of lack of info. Back in WWII times, think D-Day, no one in the whole country would have supported attacking main land Europe. They did it because the government, no matter who is in power knows more than the general populace.

Now, GAM for the last two paragraphs of your statement, you really lost me on your elitist mentality, honestly; you are probably the only person that I have agued with on this site that I respect in the political topic, but you must not see what is really going on. It actually makes me laugh that you would say things 100% opposite of what Bush has said and is doing. The demmies are the ones that want to cut and run, we didnt pursue afghanistan because it is more of a respected nation around the world than Iraq. If we invade Afghanistan we not only have the terrorist attacking us but the rebel allies that are fighting for us would, for lack of better words, be pissed.

Then your worst statement, "The job still isn't done in Afghanistan. How can you support a President that no interest whatsoever in getting the job done? "

Then what interest does he have? Just having men and women of our military killed? well John Kerry would care, because according to him they are the low life of our country. But you seriously must have been thinking among the demmies side. Your whole last two paragraphs is exactly what he demmies were running on in the current elections. So that is completely opposite of Bush's stance. Otherwise they would have supported Bush if that is what he was and wanted to do. Iraq was the perfect country to take over, it had WMD's, its leadership was a child of the Nazi's, and it supplies the perfect base for carrying out the opperations that are critical to defeating terrorism. Whether it happens soon or not, we need that base. Why do you think the terrorists are defending is so harshly? because they know how critical it would be if the US has control in Iraq.
Friday, November 17, 2006 9:24 PM on j-body.org
Rollinredcavi wrote:
Well... you actually hit quite a couple of topics that even the biggest anti-war people have begun to agree with GWB on. WMD's, most of our country seems to think WMD's are nuclear weapons. So Bush said "no we didnt find WMD's" thats where his lack in public speaking caught up with him. WMD's are classified as chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons. We found thousands of gallons of gases used to make WMD's in Iraq.

in 1992/1993, sure. This time, no. Again ISG Report bares this out.

The Mustard Gas that was found was created post-invasion. Iraq had no ability to produce chemical agents anything more complicated than cod liver oil. It was part of the disarmament treaty that was put in place after Op: Desert Storm.

Quote:

Yeah, Saddam even launched some on Kuwait. GAM, your a guy that pays attention to stuff, you know that he launched chemical weapons on his own people. And you have also seen the report about the "missing weapons" just before 2004 presidential elections that democrats tried using as an election tool. Well they even stated in news reports that this included gasses and liquids used to created chemical weapons. The whole WMD's thing, I would think someone as smart as you would know is true.

I don't recall any chemical weapons used in Kuwait, but I wouldn't discount it. The Missing weapons report given to the President was corroborated with 1993 destruction reports and ISG's final report. There were no "Missing" weapons, and the former Iraqi General that went on Fox was also proven to be a liar, the weapons that were said to have been sent into the Becca valley in Lebanon in these massive airlifts patently did not happen, 100% of Iraqi airspace was monitored as part of the no-fly zone restrictions and no planes capable of carrying the supposed weapons (I know that an average people carrier is capable of ferrying components, but not the amounts of the missing caches).

Quote:

So your saying that there is no concrete evidence that Saddam paid terrorists? Well, there is no concrete evidence that Osama was the 9/11 attacks head honcho. All we had was his word and links to extremist groups. But obviously our government had much more information than the general public, as it should be. I actually find it kind of funny that people question Bush on topics like the war on Iraq because of lack of info. Back in WWII times, think D-Day, no one in the whole country would have supported attacking main land Europe. They did it because the government, no matter who is in power knows more than the general populace.

Actually, there was concrete evidence pointing to Al-queda as the culprits of 9/11/01. This information is summarized in the preface and laid out in sections 2.1, 5, 7.

If the government knows so much, why can't they fix potholes monthly? As far as D-Day goes: Loose lips sink ships, keeping things secret is one thing, you don't generally show your hand in the planning stages; when you want to justify the money spent in major military operations, please tell me what sense there is in not showing proof of what was there?

I don't question Bush on the lack of info, although I generally think its a really damned good idea to get the lay of the land before you go charging in, I can't trot into a job without knowing what it is that I have to do. Iraq was largely a black-hole for intelligence because of the very tight controls on communications. There actually was a functioning border patrol, and much of the military and police was up and running.

The report that Iraq was trying to buy Yellow Cake enriched Plutonium was the impetus behind this invasion, as well as the manufacture of chemical and biological agents. Iraq had no way to process the uranium into a proper fissile shape, and no material or laboratory facilities to create VX, Sarin or any other weaponised chem/bio agent. The closest it's been estimated that Iraq could have come to a dirty bomb with the items they had on hand is to raid the Osmium stores from the smoke detectors of the nation and focus an energetic beam onto the pile. Their nuclear reactors cannot produce isotopes that are usable for Nuclear devices. That is Concrete, known and was verified all through out the 90's, Iraq couldn't import any of the technology (after 1991 that is), they had no way to smuggle it into the country (it's not like this kind of stuff is off the shelf), and no ability to produce the necessary technology indigenously. Given that Iraq was not able to make the weapons they were supposed to have been coveting, and had no way to import or smuggle it in, and no one really had anyway to verify much of anything happening within the Iraqi Gov't... how is it that Russia, Germany and Britain all got the same intelligence word for word, and all discredited the intel independently, but the US decided to go along with it?

Answer me this please, because you've yet to substantiate what you're saying about my statements, evidence or assertions.

Quote:

Now, GAM for the last two paragraphs of your statement, you really lost me on your elitist mentality, honestly; you are probably the only person that I have agued with on this site that I respect in the political topic, but you must not see what is really going on. It actually makes me laugh that you would say things 100% opposite of what Bush has said and is doing. The demmies are the ones that want to cut and run, we didnt pursue afghanistan because it is more of a respected nation around the world than Iraq. If we invade Afghanistan we not only have the terrorist attacking us but the rebel allies that are fighting for us would, for lack of better words, be pissed.

First: I was talking about cutting and running from AFGHANISTAN. There are about 11,000 troops there now. This has been stepped down from 17,000 in January, and 30,000 in 2002. Invasion force was 120,000 in November 2001. The phrase pulling up stakes is applicable. The job isn't done yet, it was handed off to the UN, and now NATO. FCOL Canada has greater troop commitment in Afghanistan 90% of the time (between 3,000 and 4,500 in various command, operations and support roles, but our military is capped at 60,000 peace-time strength).

Second: If you've completely disregarded what I've been saying all along, I'll give you a refresher: Now that you're IN Iraq, you might as well get THAT job done. The way to do that: More troops, more stability, move away from a theocratically opposed secular-ish government (and avoid the 25 year ordeal that Iran went through), get Government ministries that were gutted in the invasion back up and running, and mobilize peace-keeping operations to keep Shi'ia and Sunni's from dragging the country into Civil war. (which, unless anyone here is a pol-sci major doesn't get, is the last thing you want to have when your troops are in country).

Third: Respected? It's the largest opium producer in Asia, there are terrorist camps and incursions from Pakistan from sympathetic groups... it has little if any industry outside the drug trade and war material production. It's been consistently ranked as one of the bottom 5 nations in the world to live in since the Russian invasion.

By the way, I say this with no humor at all:
NEWS FLASH: YOU INVADED AFGHANISTAN IN OCTOBER 2001
The Northern Alliance in Afghanistan isn't a problem, they're actually helping the International Security Assistance Force ISAF

Lastly: Elitist? I'm proposing a solution to help a deteriorating situation. Pulling troops out and keeping long deployments... doesn't sound conducive to completing the mission successfully.

Quote:

Then your worst statement, "The job still isn't done in Afghanistan. How can you support a President that no interest whatsoever in getting the job done? "

I rather think my worst statement was that the earth was indeed round and that it shall abideth forever. Might have been second to a drunken exclamation about Natty Light, but certainly that one isn't my worst.

Seriously, there was little if any overall plan going into Iraq, other than hit em hard, the larger battle group that was committed to Afghanistan was pulled off, and less than 10% of the troops that were committed for the long haul were left to do the job. Iraq was invaded, and there was literally no logistics committed to protecting critical infrastructure (although there was a double ring of protection around the oil ministry, go figure) or Government institutions that would help ease the transition from Hussein to a provisional gov't.

I stand by what I said.

Quote:

Then what interest does he have? Just having men and women of our military killed? well John Kerry would care, because according to him they are the low life of our country. But you seriously must have been thinking among the demmies side. Your whole last two paragraphs is exactly what he demmies were running on in the current elections.

Really?

I'm going to point again to the How would YOU run the war? thread. Now, Troop deployments to Iraq have been dropping off since 2003:
2003: 120,000 total
2004: 86,000 total
2005: 70,000 total
2006: ~60,000 total
2007: 46,000 projected

I don't tend to follow any one party's doctrine, because frankly I don't see things as black and white. Also, I've said this at least a half-dozen times in common usage and on the board: The answer is NOT more parties. No parties are good parties.

In the broader scope: Iraq is a quagmire. There are no GOOD choices in this situation. There are essentially 2 options:
- Leave, and let the whole country either collapse into civil war, or rupture into smaller pieces,
- Stay, and maybe leave the place better than when you left it.

The BEST option would have been in 2003, to have focused on where the problem actually was: Afghanistan. Iraq was handled.

Quote:

So that is completely opposite of Bush's stance. Otherwise they would have supported Bush if that is what he was and wanted to do.

So you're questioning elected representative's rights to differ from the opinion of the president and other representatives? That's interesting, and very communist.

Also, might I harken to a few Republicans that were not interested in Iraq, because they wanted Bin Laden, the guy who was actually responsible for 9/11. Read about Operation Jawbreaker, you'll get the picture.

Quote:

Iraq was the perfect country to take over,

Really? Seems to be working out just DANDY.

Quote:

it had WMD's,

No, it didn't. Before you dare assert this again, READ THE ISG AND DUELFER REPORTS. They prove without a shadow of a doubt that there were NO WMD's in Iraq after 1993. All stores of Chem/bio weapons were destroyed, quite thoroughly by Army Corps of Engineers under UN Supervision... hell there were unfettered inspections up until March 03.

Quote:

its leadership was a child of the Nazi's,

So says a small group of historians. The Republicans and Democrats both supported segregation, dishonouring Indian land Treaties, prolonging fruitless conflict in East Asia, and interred Japanese american citizens in WWII. You make it sound like americans are without blood in this respect... who cares where the roots of the Ba'ath party lay, Hussein was the leader, and he was a despot. Despotism is worse than national socialism.

Quote:

and it supplies the perfect base for carrying out the opperations that are critical to defeating terrorism.
A realistic foreign policy would help more than another client state.

Quote:

Whether it happens soon or not, we need that base.
At what cost?
Quote:

Why do you think the terrorists are defending is so harshly?
Hrmm... Fedayeen Hussein are defending it because... oh yeah, THEY LIVE THERE. Al-Queda is in there because it's a failed state and therefore is a place where they can set up shop and recruit, recruit, recruit... well, that and attack the infidel.
Quote:

because they know how critical it would be if the US has control in Iraq.
No because while they're keeping your military tied up there, they're also pushing into other failing states, and consolidating their power base in larger Muslim countries like Indonesia. Ever notice why there isn't any talk about an Iran-al-Qaeda link? It's because there's no connection between the Iranian Gov't and Bin Laden.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search