NJ court grants gay couples equal marriage rights - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
NJ court grants gay couples equal marriage rights
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:53 PM on j-body.org
Discussion?

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-10-26T012250Z_01_EIC567928_RTRUKOC_0_US-RIGHTS-GAYS1.xml&src=rss

Quote:

TRENTON, New Jersey (Reuters) - New Jersey's highest court on Wednesday guaranteed gay couples the same rights as married heterosexuals, but left it up to state lawmakers to decide if such unions can be called marriage.

"Times and attitudes have changed," the New Jersey Supreme Court said in a nuanced 90-page ruling certain to fuel America's culture wars ahead of November 7 elections, when eight states will vote on same-sex marriage laws.

Advocates on both sides declared varying degrees of victory and disappointment on the latest twist in a battle that has divided the country over issues of gay culture and morality.

"I am happy but not ecstatic. This is about 80 percent of what we wanted," said Leslie Farber, who is gay, at a rally in Montclair, New Jersey.

Comparing the decision to the days when black people were forced to ride in the backs of buses during U.S. segregation, she said, "At least now we are on the bus."

Same-sex marriage has faced legal and political roadblocks in much of the United States and has been a hot-button issue since 2003, when Massachusetts' highest court ruled it was unconstitutional to ban gay marriage, paving the way for America's first same-sex marriages in May 2004.

Some gay activists pledged to stop at nothing short of full marriage rights, while opponents took heart that the court chose to give the legislature a role in deciding the issue.

"We now hold that ... committed same-sex couples must be afforded on equal terms the same rights and benefits enjoyed by married, opposite-sex couples," the court said in a 4-3 ruling. Gay advocates must now "appeal to their fellow citizens whose voices are heard through their popularly elected representatives," the court said.

Click link above for rest of story

Re: NJ court grants gay couples equal marriage rights
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:12 PM on j-body.org
its a start towards equality....... I congradualte NJ for having the balls to do what they think is right.......if a man and a man love each other and live in the same house, why should that be different than heterosexual couples? and please don't try to bring religion into this, because religion doesn't have anytihing to do with this....this is purely a legal discussion, religion has no place in politics

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:58 PM on j-body.org
I don't exactly know what the marrige rights are, so I can't really give my opinion on this.

But I wonder if they want to adopt a child?

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:05 PM on j-body.org
Previously, marriage was defined as a union between a man and a woman. Some states tried to enact legal marriage for gay couples, however I believe that they were overturned.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:40 PM on j-body.org
Same thing different names..

Gay Marriage = Civil Union
Regular Marriage = Marriage.

The fact that this is even an issue appals me, It's not like they're crucifying people... Let them have the same advantages a traditional couple has.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:41 AM on j-body.org
If marriage is such a sacred union between a man and a woman and nothing else, let's remove all the social advantages of marriage like the tax breaks and the death benefits. Then let's see how "sacred" marriage is to people. Gay people don't want to get married as an affront to heterosexual people, they just want their partner to receive their stuff when they die and be able to get a tax break now and then. Stuff like that.

That's not too much to ask in my opinion.

Should churches marry them? Not if they don't want to. No church should be forced to do anything. However, civil wedding or otherwise, they should get the same benefits as straights. If gays wanna suffer through marriage like the rest of us, I say let em. It's only fair.
Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:23 AM on j-body.org
I honestly don't see what the issue is either. There is SUPPOSED to be a separation of church and state, without discrimination and equal rights for all citizens. So legally speaking, I'd say it's illegal to not let them have the same rights as others, because equal rights for citizens should be guaranteed in the constitution.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:07 PM on j-body.org
It's about freaking time that the fascists who are for behavioral control were dealt a blow like this...

What sucks here is that most of the people in Western washington (Bellingham, everett, Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma, Olympia, and Vancouver) are all for gay marriage, but you have the the people on the east side of the state with the turn-of-the-1st-millenia overly-moral attitudes that think it's a bad thing. I think Oregon suffers from the same Dillema.

Still, i see it like this: Gays should be able to marry--why should straight people be the only ones to suffer?

Goodbye Callisto & Skaği, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:24 PM on j-body.org
i think its great... but i dont think that they are in it for tax breaks and such... its that they want that special moment and they want to oficially anounce their love for eachother in front of the ones they love... before this... they really never could...

Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:28 PM on j-body.org
I think they are...

I know a lesbian couple here that wanted to buy a home jointly, but couldn't. Because they weren't spouses, whoever "owned" the house couldn't really pass it down to their s/o without their family contesting the will, whereas if you were straight, there would be no question about it.

That's the hypocrisy of it.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:20 PM on j-body.org
I just hope we can see this happening more places. I don't particularly care what your religion says, denying the rights of so many Americans because you believe their sexual orientation is a sin is sickening. I'm with Gam, the fact that this is still an issue in this country is downright disgraceful. It would be nice if the equal rights that so many in this country preach about actually existed for everyone and not everyone except homosexuals.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:22 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]I think they are...

I know a lesbian couple here that wanted to buy a home jointly, but couldn't. Because they weren't spouses, whoever "owned" the house couldn't really pass it down to their s/o without their family contesting the will, whereas if you were straight, there would be no question about it.

That's the hypocrisy of it.

If I remember correctly, isn't it also impossible for a gay couple to visit each other in the hospital or make decisions if there aren't legal documents saying they are a guardian or what not?

Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:38 PM on j-body.org
What the @!#$ is there to discuss. Let the people do whatever they want. It's not like they're harming anyone...

Sometimes it feels like America is stuck in the 19th century.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 7:38 AM on j-body.org
^^^ You're giving about 300 years worth of credit in some cases.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, October 30, 2006 10:43 AM on j-body.org
definitely a small step in the right direction, equality for EVERYONE (yes, that includes homosexuals, transexuals, even transvestis)

Monday, October 30, 2006 11:22 AM on j-body.org
I believe so, tristan. IMHO, who the @!#$ gave some guy with a horrible haircut the right to say that two guys, or two girls that care as deeply for each other as they do for money and fame, can't act in that regard?

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:14 PM on j-body.org
UpstateNyZ24 wrote:What the @!#$ is there to discuss. Let the people do whatever they want. It's not like they're harming anyone...

Sometimes it feels like America is stuck in the 19th century.

If I didn't post it, I'm sure someone else would have...

Friday, November 03, 2006 3:12 AM on j-body.org
I don't see the problem with this for the following reasons -
1. You can't argue that marraige is still sacred in this country - I can go to Las Vegas RIGHT NOW, meet some midget whore there, marry her within an hour of meeting her, and best of all - I can divorce her just like that. Didn't Britney Spears have a 6 hour wedding? Where is the outrage? Where is the constitutional amendment? Truly marriage lost all sanctity when divorce became easily available. It was already in really sad shape before any gay people wanted hitched. I just don't see how gay marriage can do anything more than what divorce already has.
2. How does Adam and Steve's ceremony affect YOUR marriage in the slightest? It doesn't.
3. Marriage is not exclusive to Christianity - or even to monotheistic religions in general. People of all religions get married, athiest get married. You can already be married in a court room - who says any given Chuch is gonna be forced to hold one?
4. Put it this way - More gay men together = more single women for me . Personally I wouldn't mind being the sole straight man on this planet - I would be "popular" with the ladies to say the least.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:53 PM on j-body.org
what no arguments on this. i as a repulican am outraged...... actually its something i wish the repulicans would just get over and let pass. to me it shouldnt matter who you poke in the bedroom as long as your both legal age. if two people have the desire and want to commit let them. and let them have the same rights. its just not right that two people could be with each other for 50 years but when one died the house would go to somoene else just because you had a penis instead of a vagina. living will is the other issue. if your a man and a women the husband could say that the wife did not want to be resusitated. if your two women who feel the same way it wouldnt matter because they wouldnt listen to you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, November 09, 2006 9:05 AM on j-body.org
^^^bingo.

If you have the attitude that nothing is sacred, it's clear to see how the "moral" coalition in this country is raping everyone of their rights because they say some being in the sky says so.

To me that's rediculous. If you want to believe in God, then fine, you have the right to do it as much as the next door neighbor has to worship chutney. But unless you can prove that whatever you worship is the de facto devine being and is all that, and prove that their laws say what they mean, without using theory to back up theory (i.e. proving the bible by using the bible), then please, get a life before trying to tell me how to live mine.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, November 09, 2006 12:01 PM on j-body.org
ive never been a big fan of the whole seperation of state deal when it comes to petty things like a word on the statehouse floor or saying the plege of allegiance in school that to me is trivial and not that big a concern but it seems to be where liverals and dems spend most of their time fighting about. i'd prefer them give up that battle and spend time on the gay marriage issues sence in reality it is being pushed by those with the belief of the bible and its teachings. that to me is allot bigger issue involving seperation of state, then the word god made in marble on the state house floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Thursday, November 09, 2006 12:41 PM on j-body.org
The pledge issue is a whole other can of worms, especially since "Under God" was never in there to begin with; it was added thanks to that Anti-American Communist Jospeh McCarthy as a method to distinguish us for "those godless commit pinko bastards".

My issue is not so much that Under God is there, but rather that going through school I, as someone that thinks God is little more than a Færie tale, was forced to say "Under God". THAT right there is a violation of the estabishment clause, and my issue with it.

But my views are more for overall tolerance and staying out of other peoples' business. I could care less when someone else says it, it's when people try to force me to that i get nasty.

But i generally agree with you, let's fry the big fish first. Get the religous right out of politics, then let's worry about Under God and "In God We Trust".

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, November 09, 2006 7:40 PM on j-body.org
see with me it wasnt that big an issue. maybe because i believe in god its just that i dont believe in religion. and saying the pledge that happens to have the word god in it doesnt make me feel like im secretly being coorced into following some certain religion.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 8:32 PM on j-body.org
Its about time someone did this!

Yes it is true that a gay couple cannot make calls at the hospital or death situations. Its really a shame. Atleast its headed in the right direction.

-Brandon

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search