If you dont vote, dont complain - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: If you dont vote, dont complain
Friday, November 10, 2006 6:41 PM on j-body.org
So by that logic, only legal US citizens over the age of 18 have the "right" to complain about the US government?

Alright. All you Canadians and minors, shut up. You have no right to criticize the government. You didn't vote.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 10, 2006 6:52 PM

Saturday, November 11, 2006 2:33 AM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:so you have gone out and got involved with your local goverment to try and have this added to the ballot. or have just talked about it on the org?

actually i just realized this about 2.5 weeks ago when i brought it up in my polly sci class. im sure the idea has been around for a long time but i wasnt aware. so no i havent done anything yet. but i have in the past gotten involved in local government for issues in the past.

Quote:

and the ballots now have a write in for every option so you could make your thoughts known.

yes they do, however this doesnt help much in anythign besides making the public feel better. the vote counters do nothing with the filled in spaces. its basically not a vote and nobody accept the person that counted yoru vote reads it.

thats why there needs to be a actual option for neither candidate, so that it can actually be traced.
Quote:

and if you did go out an vote for certain people in certain races then you are a voter and you do have the right to complain.

i could complain wether i abstained partly or wholey makes no difference.

Quote:

but know this, if you are waiting for someone to run for office that shares your personal views then you need to run yourself. chances are pretty slim that other people out there that run will share the exact same views as you.

i am not even remotely hoping for at least 1 person in every race to be directly aligned with my way of thought. that is unpractical.

i would like to be able to choose someone that i feel had a low chance of making things worse. there have been numerous times where i d research on a candidate for an office and i feel that they have the possibility of making things worse in certain subjects that are important to me. in which case i dont vote for them.

sometimes, all the choices for a given possition give me that feeling. in which case i will not vote to put any of them in to office. thats my right, and it is actually my responsability. it seems tremendously irresponsible to vote FOR someone you honestly do not at all want governing anything just because they are the lesser evils.

i can make that decision on a single race or an entire ballot, no matter what i still have the right to complain just as much as anyone else.

Creative Draft Art Media Forums
Monday, November 13, 2006 4:25 PM on j-body.org
<sigh> have i taught you all nothing?

First of all, if you're the type that @!#$s red, white, and blue, then most likely you will vote, be you a republican asshat or a democratic fartknocker. So that woun't apply to you.

But for those of you that are cynics, no matter if you have slight wavering faith in the system or, like me, are watching in utter delight as the system collapes around you, need to realize one thing.

If you vote, it allows you to excercize your constitutionally-guarenteed right to throw a monkey-wrench into the system.

Now, unless you're completely apathetic, have no imagination, and can be classified as nothing more than an wasted piece of talking meat, looking at it from that context give you, the visionary, a carte blanche for @!#$ with the system.

And you have to be a mindless lemming or a communist to NOT want to do that.

So, even though you want to not vote as a protest, why not do what you can at the grassroots level to get people good for the job in. When that fails, when everyone else is suckered in by the mass-marketing propoganda from the asshats and fartknockers, then you have your fun.

You can then use your votes, like what happened now, to stack the deck against a tryannical politician in office by balancing congress against them. Or, you can write someone in like "Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel" to say that you would rather have a fictional character from Monty Python's Flying circuis in the office rather than the group of Televangelist Rejects they have on the card now.

Anyhow, My opinion is that since your vote really doesn't count for much anyway, everyone has the right to complain. But knowing that, it still means that you can have fun and make a mockery of the syustem that it a mockery unto itself. Therefore, you voted to change the syetem, it didn't pass, then you can not only complain about the candidates that won, but also about the naieve populace that has they lips firmly attached to the sphincter of the candidates.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaði, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, November 17, 2006 11:49 AM on j-body.org
I have a question, in my riding (electoral district) I generally have 5 different people to vote(Conservative, Liberal, NDP, Green, independent/Marijuana/Christian), 3 at a minimum. So I find that there is always someone I can vote for thats reasonably close to my beliefs. In the US do you guys generally only have 2 people to vote for. If thats so that would make a bit more sense for the argument that there is no one on the ballot that supports your beliefs.
Friday, November 17, 2006 12:10 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

So I find that there is always someone I can vote for thats reasonably close to my beliefs. In the US do you guys generally only have 2 people to vote for. If thats so that would make a bit more sense for the argument that there is no one on the ballot that supports your beliefs.

Yes some states don't allow third party canidates to be on a ballot. In most cases you have only two choices Democract or Republician. I know in PA they wouldn't allow Nader to be on the ballot last presidental election.
Friday, November 17, 2006 12:23 PM on j-body.org
if you have the power to try to change something and dont use that power than you shouldnt complain about things not changing.

id you dont vote and are of legal age to do so, but still choose not to do so... then no dont complain...

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:26 PM on j-body.org
mclonedogmcwad wrote:
Quote:

So I find that there is always someone I can vote for thats reasonably close to my beliefs. In the US do you guys generally only have 2 people to vote for. If thats so that would make a bit more sense for the argument that there is no one on the ballot that supports your beliefs.

Yes some states don't allow third party canidates to be on a ballot. In most cases you have only two choices Democract or Republician. I know in PA they wouldn't allow Nader to be on the ballot last presidental election.

^ wow that sucks then, I always assumed there was at least a few indepentents. In canada we have 3 major parties (4 in Quebec) so that provides more options then just two
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search