Question about Children - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Question about Children
Thursday, December 14, 2006 5:06 AM on j-body.org
Projekt Unknown wrote:How aboput the simple reason of .... Keeping the family name alive. I am the last Male Millar to be able to have a son so I had 2 of them for the family.

Other than that not sure I guess

I love my kids though there is nothing better.

Family names are a new invention. Millar just means that one of your ancestors worked in a mill. He was a "miller". I am also the last male bearing my family name but I don't really feel the need to keep it going. I looked at the family tree and it's all losers, drunks, bullies, killers, maniacs, tyrants and me. I don't think the world will cry if my kind never spawns.

Anyhoo, a quick lesson in last names.

In England, hereditary surnames were adopted in the 13th and 14th centuries, initially by the aristocracy but, eventually, by everyone. By 1400, most English people and lowland Scots had acquired surnames, but many Irish, highland Scots and Welsh people did not adopt English-style surnames until the 17th century, or later.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 7:38 AM on j-body.org
English style surnames are fairly recent but surnames in general are not. Calling a person by trade (English style) like Fletcher, Cooper, Smith etc does not exclude the ancjhient prctices of using a fathers name (Denmark David Jonson bore Henry Davidson for example) or the addition of a place as a surname (Judea, Judas Iscariot for example). Whenever two or more people had the same given name a surname would be added. Judas, son of Simon was called Iscariot because there were 2 of the 12 named Judas and Judas Iscariot was the only one not from Galelee, he is thought to be from Carioth (or Karioth), an anchient Judean city.

Before the trade name use in England there were titles and deeds of distinction used as a surname like William the Conquorer, John the Confessor etc.. So the Idea of a surname, even in England, goes back to at least 1066AD.

PAX
Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:31 AM on j-body.org
Carrying on the Surname would be a reason for me. My name is rare, can be traced back to 1023AD (maybe before as we have not looked through anchient French or Germanic records) when it entered England as part of the Norman conquest. The spelling has changed slightly throughout the years as politics dictated (Helen (germanic), Hele (old English), Heale, and Heal (present). There are only 14 families on Canada with that name and therefore I am compelled to carry it on. At the same time, I think that is a bad reason to have children. To me, you have to want children, there must be that desire to care and teach etc.

There was a time when I really wanted a couple, I have changed my mind, but I could change it again. I think it has a lot to do with where you are in life as well. If you have a great partner, a good job and a stable home, the old child rearing hormones will kick in again.

Point of note. The Doomsday Book (1086) has many many surnames in it. All of those who fought in the battle were recorded (likely not all, but anyone thought to be worth noting). There are thousands of persons recorded in that book (documents the Battle of Hastings and is a survey of those living in the area at the time)

Quote:

The Domesday Book was commissioned in December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who invaded England in 1066. The first draft was completed in August 1086 and contained records for 13,418 settlements in the English counties south of the rivers Ribble and Tees (the border with Scotland at the time).

The original Domesday Book has survived over 900 years of English history and is currently housed in a specially made chest at London's Public Record Office in Kew, London. This site has been set up to enable visitors to discover the history of the Domesday Book, to give an insight into life at the time of its compilation, and provide information and links on related topics.

PAX
Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:28 PM on j-body.org
to the OP, i used to have the same opinion, then i met my now fiance.

i never wanted kids, then we thought she was preg. about a 1yr or so ago, i was scared but for some reason extremely happy, we found out she wasnt, and i was actually sad.

i am very young, (22), but we know by the time im 27-28 WE want to have a kid, not because we have to, because we want to.

people may say wait longer, blah blah blah, but when i was growing up, my dad was older, meaning he couldnt do alot of things with me that he wished he could, he even told me, "dont wait too long, you will regret not being able to do the things I missed out on with you"

so im 22 hes 71, i dont want that age diff. with me and my kids.

but we will make sure we are FULLY ready to be able to support our child and give him/her everything that we can provide, and much more.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 2:06 PM on j-body.org
Well, to hit back, the "me" generations, as i've previously defined, they did try to do the whole "family togetherness" thing, but the parents usually were just so intrested in themselves, but balked whenever the kids were getting too independent.

For example: My dad and both of my g/f's parents were trying so damned hard to get good careers and make money so we'd have the things they didn't that they forgot to be a parent and be there

As such, neither of us have strong ties to family and really look out for only ourselves, and more recently, each other . but the bond between out parents and us was never forged.

I see this as still a problem. Parents try so hard to provide for and give their children a better life than they had but at the same time stop being parents and just be a machine that wotrks hard to provide for the kids.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, December 14, 2006 2:22 PM on j-body.org
^^^^
That is exactly what is happening these days. I will say i work hard to so my daughter does not have to worry but i don't put my work before my family. If there is anything family wise my job is not my first priority they are. People don't seem to know how to balance their lives.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Sunday, December 17, 2006 1:48 AM on j-body.org
With me, there are 2 things that sway my decision to "nope, not ever"

1) $$$
2) Time

I have the time, but not the $$$, so if I can only financially support myself paycheck to paycheck, I cannot support a child.

Friday, December 22, 2006 9:41 PM on j-body.org
I'll add this.... I'm 25 and my husband 26, been together since we were 16 and married for almost 7 years.

We have never had the desire to have children, nor do I think we ever will. Theres something to say for freedom.

Being able to decide one day to go out of town, and just do it and so on.. Is priceless.

I get so tired of being asked "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE KIDS?" & " THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU SINCE YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS">

Theres nothing wrong with us, we just choose to not have kids. I'm not a kid hater, even though I don't much care for them.

We both work a lot, and want a goood life for us, without having to consider someone else, even though it sounds selfish.

Some people make great parents, others like some people we know really suck at it.

Its not the money thing either, we both run our own business, own our house, and are doing really well for our age.

I guess our cars are are first and true love, and I'm not giving that up for a kid. .... End of story
Sunday, December 24, 2006 3:06 AM on j-body.org
^^then youtell them that there's something wrong with them for trying to tax the planet beyond its resources....really it wouldn'ty be, but a lot of times it's fun to turn the tables on the estabilshed train of thought and make it realize how unreasonable it is.

Really, if you and your hubby have kids or not you, will, if not you'll watch the Price is Right. anyone that doesn't agree with what you and what your husband want to do with your life can screw themselves with a live electric powerline up the pooper.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:04 PM on j-body.org
I won't have kids because I'm worried that one day, they'll grow up, buy an old cavalier or sunfire, come to this site, and act like the majority of the people here.

This site is the best case for abortion I've ever seen.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:26 PM on j-body.org
degenerated wrote:I won't have kids because I'm worried that one day, they'll grow up, buy an old cavalier or sunfire, come to this site, and act like the majority of the people here.

This site is the best case for abortion I've ever seen.

oooook then....

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:48 AM on j-body.org
Oh that's right, if I don't put the , nobody gets it as a joke. But, I suppose I wasn't joking, so anyway...

Seriously, I don't want children because:

a) I don't like little kids. When they get older, they're fine, but I never know what to do around the little ones besides the occasional punting.

b) I seriously don't think I have what it takes to be a parent. I know what it takes, but I don't think I could do it, because I just don't want to.

c) I see "parents" today, and I really don't want my kids growing up with other kids who's parents don't care about them.

d) I'm too cynical to have children.

e) I'd warp them.

f) I ramble on too much and I'm afraid I'd bore them to death and then get the chair.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 12:50 PM on j-body.org
^^^^^The difference between you and I, degen, is that I know i'm very cynical, and I know I'd warp them, and i think that's what this sad, burned-our neurotic country needs: as couple of children that are more world-weary and sarcastic bastardfs than most adults that prefer life sugarcoated. I'd want my daughter to ask her teacher, "Hey, when the @!#$ is recess." I'd want my son tio explain in his sex ed class that if you get HIV you will eventually DIE. I want them to see both the comfortable side of life and the grisly side of life and find the beauty in both, and spread it around to their classmates. I want them to explain to their classmates why boys and girls are different from one another--and it's not because girls got in a freak boating accident.

But you also misunderestimate () the fun of punting preschoolers.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search