NSFW... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
NSFW...
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 4:27 PM on j-body.org
NSFMCE (Not Safe For Mindless Conservatives EVERYWHERE)
NSFFT (Not Safe For Freedom Thieves)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7259b3d907

There is serious language in this, profane and otherwise. There are also real ideas that I think Transcend partisan bullsh*t, it's not just an American thing either.

Who can argue with these points in all seriousness?

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: NSFW...
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 5:14 PM on j-body.org
GAM, if your going to throw stones at religious nut bags, you better have someone better than Henry Rollins...

@!#$, Lemme call up Ted Nugent if thats the game. Honestly, fighting stupidity with stupidity only breeds more stupidity.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 5:27 PM on j-body.org
On a serious note,

Not that most of what he says isn't true, but-

1. "Your version of the truth" - There is no version of the truth, there is the truth.
There are sides to a story, and arguments to them. The truth is that we won WWII,
or depending on what side your ideology falls upon, you lost.

2. "The internet is responsible for some substantial shifts in thought in the
past several decade" - Several decades? Maybe one. Considering that most
people probably didn't even have the ability to access to the internet till what?
1992?

3. Regulating the internet is stupid. Number one, it is the World WIDE Web,
any government has no jurisdiction on it IMO. Unless it effects something like
a hacker or etc. However, regulating the internet is not an argument for the
government limiting free speech. I can't afford to publish a book, that doesn't
mean my rights have been violated.

4. "@!#$ you" Thanks Henry, for proving my point, you are beyond intelligent
conversation. You argument is weak at best because of the aforementioned
reasons, but it is stronger than the piss poor argument for regulating the
internet. However, you obvious lack of tact, diplomacy and brains leaves
you with nil of an argument.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:22 PM on j-body.org
I put it up there because I'm sick of hearing that disagreement is treason from people on this site.

1: The truth is only what you can prove. Evidence of that is in the Creationism vs Evolution thread, the 10,000 year old earth thread, and every single Iraq War thread. Hell, I know a forensic accountant that can "prove" that Gone With The Wind, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and every Movie ever made made NO profit at all. If you think that there is fidelity in anything other than pure mathematics, you've got your head in the sand. Versions of the truth are as numerous as the people who hear a story.

2: That was one of the errors I had thought I had addressed, but it seems I edited it out... oops on my part. Even still, maybe I'm one of the few that remembers surfing to sites before Friendly Domain names became possible but I know that the net was a real thing that was accessible in 1989 to some people that had Freenet Subscriptions (when you'd have to surf by proxy and wait for about 5-6 minutes for a page to load). That constitutes 3 decades (80's, 90's, 00's). It wasn't exactly a cultural watershed like it is now (with MySpace in all it's News Corporation glory), but it was a subculture that was easily accessible by those who knew. The internet at large has existed in a publicly available form (ie. kermit, simple HTTP, Gopher, ftp, etc) since about 1985/6. The big internet explosion happened in about 1993/4, and that's at least 2 decades (90's, 00's) worth of cultural overhauling. Take it for what it's worth.

3: Dude, have you had your head in the sand for the last 8 years? There have been at least 4 attempts by a republican controlled House and Senate to regulate the Internet, and to trap and trace all YOUR movements on it. All your LEGAL movements on it, all your vowel movements on it... EVERYTHING. Remember Big Brother? Your friendly neighbourhood republican is behind that more than likely. The US government attempted to assert it's jurisdiction on any information passing through US company owned lines, and that is roughly 60% of data lines in the world. Regulation of the Internet is also impossible, it's one of the reasons thieves like Ebaumsworld.com can get away with theft of content. Attempting to regulate the Internet is tantamount to censorship... the same with films and books. There is a difference between publishing a book, and publishing a website. If you publish a book, that is a physical entity, costs money to make, move around, and sell; A web site however costs nothing other than the computer your time and creativity, and transmission bandwidth to run. You can literally hold several dozen books in compressed text format and it can be transferred to thousands of people without a problem, and for less than the cost of 1 hard cover book.

You have the ability to make your ideas known. Regulating the Net with Government trap and trace and "roving wire taps" which were actually passed with the USA PATRIOT act is censorship... It's not to reduce terrorism, it's about limiting your freedom of association and expression.

4: With that one comment, you've proved that you're not equipped to counter his ideas with real dialogue. Ted Nugent needs to pull himself out of the Alcohol and gun cleaner fuelled haze and look around for a little bit, or you need to know that he's not Conservative, he's big on gun rights, personal drug use rights, and that's about it. As for Rollins: The guy has his own show. You're not on it, but you can write to him with e-mail (and remember, Congress approved the creation of the internet with Al Gore's push... He might not have created the internet, but without him you wouldn't have a way to write here) and make your views known.

Try and bring along evidence of the Government not trying to regulate the Internet next time.

Just so you know:
CDA (portions overturned in 1996, 1997, amended in 2003 to remove unconstitutional portions)
COPA (Injunction 1998, 1999, Struck down 2003, and sent back to appeals courts in 2006 due to new language)
CIPA (Contested 2001, Found constitutional only because of reinterpretation of a passage which forbids libraries and other publicly available access points from filtering websites which are constitutionally protected... Libraries can still filter sites for children on whatever basis they choose unless they decide to forgo E-Rate funding, THIS IS REGULATING THE INTERNET USING FEDERAL FUNDING AS A BARGAINING CHIP)
DOPA (Which has the ability to broadly remove the ability for users, not specifically Children, from accessing areas of the internet where they may be exposed to online predators. Not passed into law yet.)

Here you have 4 stabs at Republicans attempting to legislate morality on the internet. You have 4 attempts to remove parents out of the equation in favour of Governmental controls, and you also have 2 assaults, 1 attempt and 1 deflection of your rights to access information of your choosing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:43 PM

Thursday, December 14, 2006 5:43 PM on j-body.org
personally i love henry rollins. hes passionate, intelligent, and articulate, even if he does choose to use profanities or colloquialisms. and for him to be this motivated, especially when coming from his background, i think its even better.

that short video not only shows his points of view (which i agree with) but also his fervor on the subjects. like GAM said, how can you NOT agree with him?

Saturday, December 16, 2006 9:21 AM on j-body.org
Just because Rollins says "@!#$ you" doesn't mean he's not intelligent. It means that there was no better way to get himself across.

The reason we have vulgarity is because it makes the point quickly and efficiently with maximum expressive emphasis.

Vocabulary is overrated. Use it too much, and you're a pretentious prick. Don't use it enough and you're retarded.

You just can't win with everybody being a bitch about everything nowadays. Who cares what word he used? Did you get what he was saying? Good. Shut up then.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:13 PM on j-body.org
Getting caught up in what is said, and not understanding what is meant...

Brevity is the source of wit, so sometimes dispensing with courtesy, manners and other cultural idioms in order to lay bare the core ideology of an address is preferred to expounding loquaciously about a topic and possibly losing the true rub of the topic to which you are attempting to impart upon your audience.

Besides. It's Henry f*cking ROLLINS. What did you expect? He's not a total dimwit, but he's got your attention early.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search