Ever seen an AG get ripped a new one? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ever seen an AG get ripped a new one?
Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:25 PM on j-body.org
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/172671 <-- Transcript.
Quote:

... I'm sorry. I don't mean to treat this lightly. We knew damn well, if he went to Canada, he wouldn't be tortured. He'd be held. He'd be investigated.

We also knew damn well, if he went to Syria, he'd be tortured.

And it's beneath the dignity of this country, a country that has always been a beacon of human rights, to send somebody to another country to be tortured.

You know, and I know, that has happened a number of times, in the past five years, by this country. It is a black mark on us. It has brought about the condemnation of some of our closest and best allies.

And it is easy for us to sit here comfortably in this room knowing that we're not going to be sent off to another country to be tortured, to treat it as though, well, Attorney-General Ashcroft says we've got assurances.

Assurances from a country that we also say, now, we can't talk to them because we can't take their word for anything?

Click the link on the right that says: CTV Newsnet: Full exchange about Arar case 1:32 There's some serious heat in the Senator's voice.
More Info on Arar

Okay, here's where I think it's not begging the question: What the hell is HSA doing? Do THEY even know? AttyGen. Gonzalez seems to not know with any certainty why exactly Arar isn't cleared, and it seems that before the hearing was convened, he had no idea who Arar was.

Why is this important? Arar wasn't an American... and he was deported to a country where it was pretty assured he was going to get tortured. He isn't the only one...

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: Ever seen an AG get ripped a new one?
Friday, January 19, 2007 8:57 AM on j-body.org
dont really have comment other than that is a @!#$ up situation, but ill definitly be looking forward to hearing the excuse and Leahy's response next week.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:08 AM on j-body.org
ok so i didnt read the whole thing but i read enuff already to make me question it
If he is a Canadian citizen then why would we send him to Syria?? Send him to Canada, let them deal with him. If there was ever an American in some other country doing something suspicios and they were deported somewhere other than back to the US, the gov't would throw a @!#$ fit, and yet we did just that. WTF is wrong with these ppl? Do they think they are god and have control over peoples lives? We need some cleansing of the White House cuz it aint white anymore, more like a nice dark black! Things like this almost make me ashamed to be a US citizen. I mean for the land of the free and a country of the people, we sure dont have a lot of freedoms anymore and really dont seem to give a @!#$ about the people.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:39 AM on j-body.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher_Arar <--The quick run-down.

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:29 PM on j-body.org
Well the AG has been active in the news again -
Gonzales aide to invoke Fifth Amendment
Ex-Prosecutor Says He Faced Partisan Questions Before Firing
article wrote:John McKay of Washington state, who had decided two years earlier not to bring voter fraud charges that could have undermined a Democratic victory in a closely fought gubernatorial race, said White House counsel Harriet Miers and her deputy, William Kelley, "asked me why Republicans in the state of Washington would be angry with me."

Quote:

The use of the word "mishandled" left open the possibility that White House officials -- who in September were weighing whether to recommend McKay for a federal judgeship -- merely disputed McKay's professional judgment. But his statement yesterday lent new credence to suspicions that partisan political concerns weighed heavily in his firing.
Supposedly these DAs that got fired where done so for "poor performance" yet this guy - who was once held in such high reguard that he was being considered by the whitehouse for federal judgeship(yes he is Republican) - at least he was being considered before he decided something not in their favor during elections - yes apparantly this guy was fired for "poor performance." Call me crazy if I'm a little cynical about that.

Focus on Gonzales' `credibility'
Quote:

Gonzales, who said earlier this month that he was "not involved in any discussions about what was going on," approved plans for the firings at an hourlong meeting in late November --two weeks before seven of the dismissals--according to the latest of many documents the Justice Department has released.

Quote:

Two of the dismissed federal prosecutors--David Iglesias of Albuquerque and John McKay of Seattle--also appeared on "Meet the Press."

Iglesias, asked if he has confidence in Gonzales, said: "Right now, I've got serious doubts."

McKay, suggesting that Gonzales' "status is something that's going to have to be decided" by the president and attorney general, said: "I think there is a cloud over the Justice Department, and that is just going to have to be removed."

Iglesias, asked if he believes he was fired for political reasons, said, "Absolutely, yes."

Asked about a comment by presidential counselor Dan Bartlett that Iglesias had shown a lack of leadership as the U.S. attorney in Albuquerque, Iglesias said: "Mr. Bartlett was never my supervisor. ... I thought, he's out of touch. He doesn't know what he's talking about."

When he received a complaint from Sen. Pete Domenici (R-N.M.), Iglesias said, he felt "pressured, leaned on" and, in retrospect, he "should have reported it right away" to the Justice Department.

"I felt deeply conflicted," he said. "It is troubling, connecting these political dots. ... I hope that, when this scandal is over, the tradition is returned to, that U.S. attorneys keep politics out" of the job.

McKay, maintaining that his office had recently received an "outstanding" evaluation, said he had been given shifting reasons for his dismissal. "First of all, I was given no reason for my dismissal," he said. "Then I was told there were performance issues. Then I was told it was a disagreement over policy.

"The Justice Department's reasons kept changing," McKay said. "I think what's happened here is the department has gone back and tried to find a reason to justify our dismissals."

Noting the underlined part in that last quote - yeah I'm sure it was "performance issues" and not refusing to "play ball" good-old-boy style.

One more link for you.

Anyone else looking at yet another Bush administration related scandal - in the same way that they look at just another rock in the road? I wonder if anyone has actually kept count. LOL.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Monday, March 26, 2007 11:16 PM on j-body.org
I was talking more along the line of the Extraordinary Rendition in Maher Arar...

Gonzales, I think, is up the creek and is going to get bounced because of Ashcroft.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:25 AM on j-body.org
As mcuh as the situation sucks, I can't help but think of, "Moronie, deported to Sweden, Claims he's not from there"

I'm also waiting for this to develop into Canadian Bacon.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search