Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii - Page 12 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii
Monday, December 17, 2007 8:40 AM on j-body.org
I like the way Madden plays on the Wii. Football games had gotten pretty boring before that. NFL2k2 was the last game I had enjoyed.

I just picked up a copy of Metroid Prime 3 and really enjoy it. Again, the controls offer a new take on a genre that's been done a million times before. I'm still not sure if I like the KB/Mouse or the Wiimotes more for FPS. I might just have to install the Wiimote to my PC and load my all-time favorite, Unreal Tournament 2004, to be sure.

Keeper - http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/traumacentersecondopinion/review.html

---

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:36 PM on j-body.org
I just can not get into madden with the wii. I still prefer the 360 controller over the playstation controller for madden. Do idea why, sense I be playing madden on my various playstations for years.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:37 AM on j-body.org
Ag: Will look at that when I get home. Also, if the Wiimotes work good for UT2k4, let me know--i'll want to try it with ETQW or VTM: Bloodlines.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:32 AM on j-body.org
Wii Zapper plus Ghost Squad = Awesomeness
its like an Arcade Shooter in my living room
actually, it is haha
and House of Dead 2 &3 are coming out too
Living room arcade FTW!

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:04 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:Keeper - http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/traumacentersecondopinion/review.html

Interesting, but it's not the same. i'm talking about the old board game...

But very interesting, i may have to pick that up for my DS

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Monday, December 24, 2007 8:36 PM on j-body.org
Knoxfire wrote:Game consoles are only as good as the games they support. Every succesful console has needed a killer app to sell big numbers. With Gamecube it was the Resident Evil exclusivity. Playstation 2 had Grand Theft Auto (not exclusive, but they got it a lot earlier) and the very spooky and cool semi-exclusive Silent Hill games, Xbox had awesome graphics and extra content in it's ported games plus all the Halo games were exclusive to it.

As the new console wars heat up it's hard to tell. XBox360 is cheaper but Playstation 3 does have more "stuff". The PS3 price is going to seriously hurt it though. The only way they can overcome this is to have extra content in their games and exclusive really cool title. To be honest, they're not off to a flying start. Still, never underestimate people's idiocy in buying the most expensive console because it must be "the best".

When the dust clears though, I seriously think the Wii has a good chance at being a surprise winner. It's much cheaper, has more innovative accessories and if Nintendo wises up and installs a more standard controller with games that have the option of using either the remote or controller they might really have something. They already have a Resident Evil exclusive game and a Metal Gear Solid one is on the way. This doesn't bode well for Xbox or Playstation.

Personally I think that to reduce costs they should have released a joint console called the X-Station that had all the advantages of the current (Xbox360/PS3) seventh generation consoles and backward compatibility for all previous XBox and PS1/2 games. They could have sold it for 500$ and it would have ripped the Wii a new one in sales. Innovation and adaptability is key in this market.

before anyone actually believes this..

one the resident evil on the wii, is a lame one, called resident evil cronicles, which basically you get to do all the games over again

and the metal gear solid game, is completly untrue and will never be made...considering the last metal gear solid game is only for the ps3, and probably will be ported to the 360 6 months or more after the original release...

but im a fan of the ps3, i dont really care at all for the 360, because whatever games comes out for that system, is coming out for the ps3....

and not to mention metal gear solid 4, grand turismo 5, resident evil 5, assassins creed, skate, obvilion, fear, and alot more games are more than enough for me...hell i cant even afford the system yet because i lost my job, but im buying the system soon along with most of these games, if they are all out by the time i get the system..

i see the ps3 being around alot longer than any of the other systems to be honest
Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:07 AM on j-body.org
So, nearly a year later:

http://nexgenwars.com/

And the Wii has now outsold the 360, and you are still hard pressed to find a Wii anywhere for Christmas.

That's a whole year for the system to work its way into the population, and it's still killing the other systems.

Personally, I got bored with it. I loved the novelty, but now I'm back to playing PC games. There's really just nothing that interests me all that much on the Wii, and the Wii parties got kind of boring quick.

Not to say I don't like it the best out of the consoles, though. In terms of what it offers, it's still the best in terms of innovation. I still think the problem with the PS3 and 360 are the fact that their games are becoming generic.

Quote:

and not to mention metal gear solid 4, grand turismo 5, resident evil 5, assassins creed, skate, obvilion, fear,

Sequel, sequel, sequel, revamped Hitman, re-done Tony Hawk, already on the PC, already on the PC. These games provide me with absolutely no reason to buy a PS3, unless you like doing the same thing you did 5 times before. At the very least, the Wii gives you the same game with a different control scheme. At the most, it's a completely different experience.

Regardless, the thread was started to see who would win the war. While it's obviously far from over, this battle goes to the Wii. But I'd be really interested to see where everything stands in another year's time.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:27 PM on j-body.org
Man.. I havn't been in the war forum for awhile......

IDK.... I love my ps3...... I don't have to worry about a game working on it like I do with my PC... and the graphics and gameplay are just as good...

although thier are some PC only games that kick ass.... and....

I recently bought UT3 for ps3.... the game kicks ass.... but the controller is messing with me....... I miss my keyboard and mouse...... I use to be one hell of a player online back in the day playing Unreal Tournement on my PC.....

If I only had a keyboard and mouse.... I'de bee handing more people thier ass in UT3 also...

Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:14 PM on j-body.org
This video pretty much sums out how I feel about all this

---

Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:14 PM on j-body.org
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/09/24/is-wii-really-gamecube-one-point-five-yes-says-beyond3d.aspx

I really wonder how long the wii will last, how many years between the ps2 and ps3? Anyone think the wii will last even half that?
Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:19 PM on j-body.org
I'm not really sure how long the Wii will last. I've heard of a lot of owners getting bored with them very quickly though. Heck, I got bored with it without even owning one. It's fun every once in a while, but I don't think I'd ever own it without also having another system to play.

98 Trans Am
6.0, L92 heads, LS3 intake, TSP 231/236 cam, and much more

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:48 PM on j-body.org
^^

We heard these arguments a year ago and yet another year of sold out consoles have come and gone. The Wii became the best selling console in the world back in september, and there is no doubt the has expanded over the holidays.

---

Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:05 AM on j-body.org
I wonder how it stacks up with the ps2 and original xbox sales, as that seems to be the wii's real competitors
Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:35 AM on j-body.org
i dont see how the original xbox and ps2 would be the wii's real competitors?

it has outsold the 360, and ps3.... it is painfully obvious it is kicking their butt. theres no way the regular xbox or ps2 would even stand a chance against the wii if we were to compare them for the same amount of time frame. (ex: xbox sales in 3 yrs, wii sales in 3 yrs....) and regardless of the wii's inferior graphics/system/etc.... the fact is, its selling more. and we all know that every business is out to sell, thats the most important thing. heck even if a new company were to emerge and remade a sega genesis, with its crappy old 16 bit processor.. if it somehow it outsold the "current gen" consoles... it would mean it beat em, period.

same goes for wii, as long as it keeps selling more than the rest, its winning in the console races.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:56 AM on j-body.org
I bought a 360 because i had extra cash laying around, my friend needed the money, and sold me his 360 for 250 dollars with 4 games, 2 controllers, and 3 months live.

Hell of a deal if you ask me. hahaha.

Also, i am probably the biggest halo fan, and 3, beyond how short the campaign was, was a fantastic end to the halo trilogy. The online game play is unstoppable!

I am going to say 360 ONLY BECAUSE i have it, i like it, and haven't had a problem yet with it. Also, playing the original xbox, the controller transition was so easy for me since the xbox has a more interactive controller than any other gaming system, and i respected that from the beginning. (other than the wii, but that controller is on a completely different level)

You can't HD with the 360? I hooked my HDMI cable from my 360 to my 42" LCD LG TV, and it runs perfectly on the HD input channel. Graphically enhanced and everything.

my $0.02.

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(
Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:56 AM on j-body.org
The wii is on the same level as the ps2, it is not a next gen console like the 360 or ps3, it's like comparing cavalier sales to a high end(car of your choice) sales. Also the wii launch and the following months were on par with the ps2's sales, and priced and designed similar to it too. Only time will tell if it stacks up to the ps2, but it's not even in the same catagory as the 360 and ps3.
Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:49 PM on j-body.org
Eric: or you could say that with the control technology--which is what the Wii is all about, is current gen and the control technology that the 360 and the ps3 have is last gen, and should be competing against their forerunners. it could also be said that the 6-axis control, is just a band-aid.

There's more to progress than just graphics. the Wii, a current gen console, just proved that.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:28 PM on j-body.org
well lets pretend your right, and the wii is NOT in the same category as the 360 and ps3................

then that means that both sony and microsoft are being beat my an "inferior" machine... ouch!........... maybe they arent that great after all.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:45 AM on j-body.org
Eric Esler wrote:The wii is on the same level as the ps2, it is not a next gen console like the 360 or ps3, it's like comparing cavalier sales to a high end(car of your choice) sales. Also the wii launch and the following months were on par with the ps2's sales, and priced and designed similar to it too. Only time will tell if it stacks up to the ps2, but it's not even in the same catagory as the 360 and ps3.

This is the most ludicrous thing i have ever heard
the Gamecube had better graphics and load time than the ps2, and had load times similar to the xbox (the xbox was faster in load time, but not by a huge margin, and that was because of its HD) with graphics that were comparable to the xbox
saying the Wii is last gen would be dumb, since it is better than the gamecube and the gamecube was competitive with its rival consoles

is the Wii as graphics intensive as xbox360 or ps3? not even close
is it fun to play? you bet your ass, and im not bored with mine yet, and i have had mine since launch day
the versatility of the wiimote makes the possibilities for games endless
like last night, i was playing excite truck, and its a simple game as far as controls go
but that @!#$ was fun as hell
Madden on Wii, i like better because of the controls get you more in the game (my opinion of course, as well as my friend)
Guitar Hero is finally on a Nintendo machine, the wiimote plugs right in for instant wireless and it cost 10 bucks cheaper (i know of the mono sound problem, but that is being remedied by activision)
Ghost Squad with the Wii Zapper (which i mentioned before) turns your wii and your tv into an at home arcade machine
thats just 4 ways that the controller can be used, not to mention virtual console games
also with the different channels on wii, you can turn your tv into an information hub by accessing news, weather, the internet, and also posting pictures and slideshows

I mean, i love my Wii, it's still fun for me
i will admit, its graphics are not the greatest, and after playing assassin's creed in HD i am kinda bummed, but i dont even own an HD tv yet, and the games i have are still fun as hell with good graphics that do not really need HD
I think with the next gen consoles after this current gen (ps3, 360, wii) that HD will be more important because by then HD will have a much bigger penetration into the TV market where it will be far more common for average joe schmo to own an HD tv. Right now, lots of people own HD tv's, but a lot more do not. Hopefully the next gen nintendo console has better than 480p and still has fun intuitive controls

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 1:26 PM on j-body.org
Orlandomon wrote:well lets pretend your right, and the wii is NOT in the same category as the 360 and ps3................

then that means that both sony and microsoft are being beat my an "inferior" machine... ouch!........... maybe they arent that great after all.

Again, that's like comparing Ford sales to Lamborghini sales. More Fords are sold, but does that mean that they're better than Lamborghinis? Hell no. It means that they're more affordable. No one thinks that high-end car companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini are failures or anything, just because other campanies like Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, or Ford sell more cars than they do, do they? I think not.

98 Trans Am

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 1:40 PM on j-body.org
tspence45 wrote:
Orlandomon wrote:well lets pretend your right, and the wii is NOT in the same category as the 360 and ps3................

Again, that's like comparing Ford sales to Lamborghini sales. More Fords are sold, but does that mean that they're better than Lamborghinis? Hell no. It means that they're more affordable. No one thinks that high-end car companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini are failures or anything, just because other campanies like Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, or Ford sell more cars than they do, do they? I think not.

no its not
Ferrari and ford are not direct competitors, or close to the same class
there are 3 console systems, and they compete directly with one another
i am sure that people buy the Wii because it is cheaper, but that is not the only reason
with cars, people buy fords instead of Ferraris because they are cheaper, not because of the microsoft sync feature

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 2:49 PM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:
tspence45 wrote:

no its not
Ferrari and ford are not direct competitors, or close to the same class
there are 3 console systems, and they compete directly with one another
i am sure that people buy the Wii because it is cheaper, but that is not the only reason
with cars, people buy fords instead of Ferraris because they are cheaper, not because of the microsoft sync feature

People buy Wii's because they are cheaper and don't have the same components to make them a high-end system like the 360 or PS3, just like Fords don't have the components to make them a high-end car, like a Ferrai. The Wii is aimed at a different gaming group than the PS3 and 360 are. So, I don't think of them as direct competitors. The only reason that the Wii sells is because it's cheap. If it were in the same price range as a 360 or PS3, it would not sell very well, if at all. It is an inferior system with no quality games.

98 Trans Am

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 3:05 PM on j-body.org
tspence45 wrote:
People buy Wii's because they are cheaper and don't have the same components to make them a high-end system like the 360 or PS3, just like Fords don't have the components to make them a high-end car, like a Ferrai. The Wii is aimed at a different gaming group than the PS3 and 360 are. So, I don't think of them as direct competitors. The only reason that the Wii sells is because it's cheap. If it were in the same price range as a 360 or PS3, it would not sell very well, if at all. It is an inferior system with no quality games.

look, the selling price helps, i will NOT argue that
but to say people buy them JUST because they are cheap, shows ignorance
and to say it is inferior is a matter of opinion and a matter of inferior in what way
game play, no, graphics, yes
and no quality games? that is also a matter of opinion
it is not a traditional system, so people do no know how to classify it
the only thing i will agree with you on in your statement is that the Wii is aimed at a different group, and by different, i mean a wider group than just FPS lovers which is the main draw to both the 360 and ps3

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 3:28 PM on j-body.org
It's not as technologically advanced as a PS3 or 360 and doesn't have near the graphics of either one. That makes it an inferior system. And it's not ignorant to think that the price is what makes it sell. We all know that it's not worth the same money as a 360 or PS3. Only an idiot would pay that much for a Wii. And the 360 and PS3 don't just target FPS fans. I don't play FPS, but every once in a while, and I have a PS3. It has plenty of games to offer besides FPS games.

98 Trans Am

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 7:38 PM on j-body.org
if the wii was 350 bucks.... i would still pay for it , and i know plenty of people who would too.
the capabilities of the wii mote and nunchuck are endless!

where as if the 360 or ps3 was 250......i still wouldnt buy them unless i had left over money and had absolutely nothing to spend it on.

what u need to realize is that MOST people want one of the systems the most, and thats what theyre gonna buy. If I really wanted a 360, i would have bought a 360, not a wii, regardless of price..

its the american way, when we really really want something, we buy it even if we dont have the money, we use credit......... and im not gonna pull out statistics and research on how americans spend, but im sure that the stats would agree with me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search