Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Next-Gen Console Wars? PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:40 PM on j-body.org
In my opinion the Wii is for average to beginning gamers. "Please do not take this is a negative manner."
Less processing power, and worst graphics, but has / will have Linux. No idea if there are or will be online multi-player games.
Is it fun....HELL YES it is fun and ENJOYABLE. I think the cool factor will wear of some. Great wireless features.
"Gaming system with limited entertainment features"

In my opinion the XBOX360 is for PC gamers that do not want to upgrade there systems all the time. PC and XBOX360 have ALMOST all the same games. I see little to no innovation, between the two. Great graphics and some add on features. Some paid online multi-player games. Upgradeable hard-drive. Great wireless features.
"Gaming system with some entertainment features"

In my opinion the PS3 is VERY close to the same as the XBOX360 when it comes to graphics and processing power. Similar to same game play and graphics, but will be leaps ahead in other features. I can hook-up almost any USB device and make system backups. You can also run multiple versions of linux on the PS3. Also a DVRish feature is in development. Free online multi-player games. Higher degree of updatability for games and features. Upgradeable hard-drive. Great wireless features.
"Gaming system / Entertainment system"

I know I missed some, and that fine.

All in all I think all three systems do what they where designed to do VERY WELL. The PS3 "can" have greater and more features, but only time will tell if we see them. I do not think you can really compare all three consoles head to head. Besides PS3 and XBOX360..... They just seem to cater to different demographics. I do not care who wins... no winner would be better.... as long as there is great competition between them.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:41 PM on j-body.org
Honestly, shiny graphics and a cool new shell isnt what should be driving this market, it should be innovation, and game development, which is sadly what a lot of these first and second parties are failing to do, and at an astounding rate. The games that are sold now, for the most part, are kinda crappy, and just rehashes of older releases. Need for Speed is working on its how many different version now? Madden, how many times can you change football???

But here is my breakdown of the industry, console by console:

XBox - 360

Microsoft was able to get their console on to the market in a bit of a hurry, and now, 1 year later, is still selling rather strong. The reasons for that is due to a rather nice library, and a lot of nice features. The Xbox Live service is parallal to none when it comes to online gaming even with its $50/yr price tag. The marketplace, while not the only one now, is also near top-notch, and has a very nice selection of games, content, movies, and TV shows. The addition of friends is simple, and quite easy to use, as well as sending various messages to them via the system. Other options, such as the camera, also add a nice element into the online gaming, such as Poker, since it takes real time video for others to see.

Nintendo - Wii

Nintendo might be one of the most recognized names in video gaming, and this offering is continuing their legacy in the market. Offering a new controlling scheme which is rather amazing to use, and also much more intuitive, and reponsive. Also, the system finally gets away from a lot of the mindless "zombie" looks people have while gaming, and are now off hte couch, jumping around, flailing their arms, and getting involved in the games. Software offered on this system has been nothing short of amazing, with titles like Trauma Center, Zelda: Twight Princess, and more. The beginning offerings on their marketplace have not been that great, but with the licensing power that they have, could be nothing less then amazing once the system is in full swing.

Sony - Playstation 3

Sony has a lot of potential with this new system, but I feel that it is not being utilized correctly. Though I don't have a lot of hands on expirence on the system personally, I know a lot of people who do have this system, and they love it. The graphics are AMAZING on the system, but game wise right now is seemingly where the console is lacking. They are also getting a lack of support from gaming companies due to the complex cell processor, and also due to the extremely high cost to start development. Sony is also losing a considerable amount of exclusive titles for their systems. Losing out on hot titles such as Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto IV, Resident Evil 5, and most recently, Guitar Hero II, all will be 360 titles soon enough. These titles, once exclusive to Sony, are now becoming open property, and now its allowing gamers to look into other options for their next console purchase.

All in all, this console mall is going to be tighter, and also a lot more competitive now with these new systems. I only see Sony on top for this round, due to its loyal fanbase, but Microsoft and Nintendo should be able to gain quite a bit of ground on them with their consoles.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:51 PM on j-body.org
Nice write up Str8edge

Str8edgez24 wrote:Need for Speed is working on its how many different version now? Madden, how many times can you change football???
Oh God EA, what a bunch of hacks.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 2:23 PM on j-body.org
Predator wrote:
Knoxfire wrote:#2 It's loaded with useless features like Blue-Ray discs that ARE genuinely cool but the technology is too ahead of the current reality. Most movies weren't shot with Blue-Ray in mind so forget watching movies on it unless you're a big fan of Pixar; and while it WILL become useful in the game world eventually I believe, it's not being used now.
Do you have any idea of what you are talking about?????

As a matter of fact I do. I know that the only reason you'd put a film on Blu-ray disc is to up the sound/image quality and MOST films are not shot in digital High-def. Most are still shot with 35mm film cameras and have to be transfered frame by frickin' frame onto a digital tape in order to completely re-edit them in something ressembling high-def. Blu-ray has more space on it's disc yes and it COULD be used to store more extra stuff, but really... how much more can you shove on there for older movies? It'll eliminate a lot of box sets and make a lot of modern films real purty, but older movies will have zero advantage for going so high-tech unless they spend millions on a tranfer. Although I would expect George Lucas to screw around with the old Star Wars films some more.

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I smrt.
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:51 PM on j-body.org
First, you don't "shoot" a movie in Blu-Ray or HD-DVD they are all transferred as you said above.
Second, more space in a BD/HD-DVD = less compression and less video quality loss, not for extra "stuff".

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:12 PM on j-body.org
I love it how these threads get more responses than threads that are loaded with important stuff like politics, current events, etc...

Freakin' geeks.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:11 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

I love it how these threads get more responses than threads that are loaded with important stuff like politics, current events, etc...

That's because those threads deteriorate too quickly into rhetoric, and while entertaining, they get boring .

As far as BD vs HD-DVD, yes, Blu-Ray is the superior format. So was Beta. I'm not saying Blu-Ray is going the way of Beta, and honestly, I'd rather have it because it's the more expandable format, meaning it should be around for longer, but who knows.

And I'm beginning to think that the people who talk about graphics when referring to games aren't really gamers, but are rather intrigued by shiny things. The PS3 can make things look nice, but it can't make crappy games better.

I still think about games in terms of fun, story, and gameplay. I'd still take the original Deus Ex over any game out there now with fancy graphics, because the developers made it a game, not a showcase of their chosen systems technical prowess.

Nintendo made the Wii for people to have fun on, and it's what people want. Sales figures prove it. I think Nintendo has sold more Wii units than Sony has shipped of the PS3, and you can find PS3's in most places now.

That's not being smug because I'm a fanboy, it's stating what people want--FUN.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 10:02 PM on j-body.org
xbox 360 wins because of halo 3... nuff said.

Check out my build thread!

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:17 AM on j-body.org
Str8edgez24 wrote:Need for Speed is working on its how many different version now? Madden, how many times can you change football???

You don't change it, you update rosters and add more options.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:21 AM on j-body.org
I've been playing Madden since the Sega Genesis days and its' definitely changed. The addition of more buttons made it change for the Playstation, better graphics and more CPU power made it change on the Dreamcast and PS2. And the Wii-mote sure puts a nice fresh spin on it.

BTW, Unreal Tournament > Halo, so buy a video card, not a 360

---

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:25 AM on j-body.org
Okay, my retorts:

Agustin/Elite:
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars > Unreal Tournament III > Halo 3. Of Course, "Stalker, Shadow of Chernobyl" will blow both of them away if they ever decide to release it.

Knox:
Actually, for quite awhile cinema films have been shot on 72mm film. 35mm is mainly used for still cameras.

Degen:
You get it! Think of games like "Punch out". that would definitly be a good one to have on the Wii. Although, you know if LucasArts goes in on a Jedi Lightsaber game the sales would go through the roof.

While I agree with you, Agustin, about how much can they change games of a genre, like Madden or any of the other sports games, aside from graphics and control, the only thing they have is the rosters. Kinda the same with all, of the racing games. Unless something landmark happens, what's the point in buying a new one?

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:48 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars > Unreal Tournament III > Halo 3. Of Course, "Stalker, Shadow of Chernobyl" will blow both of them away if they ever decide to release it.

I'll let you have that opinion since your choices are PC games, too

---

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:26 PM on j-body.org
I will say this, these arguments always seem to end up Wii vs PS3, don't they?

I was thinking about how this is kind of a replay of the DS vs PSP. Everyone thought the DS was a novelty that would wear out. Now the PSP's sales are in the dumps are the DS is kickin arse. My own brother sold his PSP to get a DS, then his gf tried it and she bought one, too.

Nintendo just knows what it's doing, and if you can't recognize that, you don't know what you're talking about.

---

Thursday, February 01, 2007 7:10 PM on j-body.org
The only Nintendo system that ever "failed" was the Virtual Boy.

They definitely know what they're doing.

It ends up PS3 vs. Wii, because the PS3 is supposedly the pinnacle of console gaming, but everyone would rather have the system that "takes a step back."

I keep saying, no, they'd rather have fun.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:40 PM on j-body.org
ill refrain from flaming people as most have done so in this thread
the "Wii is more for beginning gamers and has limited entertainment features" (paraphrasing of course)
wow, you could not be more wrong.
In between buying new games that you can get on PS3 or XBox and games ONLY on the wii, you can download old favorites from TGFX16, SEGA, NES, SNES, N64 (and whatever else i forgot if any) and play them, or you can check the weather, news, browse the internet, send messages to other wii users, play gamecube games, and with a large number of possible channels available, possibilities are pretty much endless
there is also talk that on the VC (virtual console channel, for downloading older games) there will be "homebrew" games available in the future, meaning people can design old style NES or whatever games and upload them.
Also, being a big fan of FPS on the comp (i DETEST using a regular controller for FPS on consoles) the Wii is a much more natural fit. There have only been 3 FPS that i can stand playing with a controller ALL TIME, and they were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (pretty much the same game with different weapons), Metroid Prime (1&2), and the first Halo. I only played these games on consoles because i had no choice. And it took me forever to get used to playing Halo with a controller (metroid and goldeneye's controls were a bit different and easier to adapt to). So the Wiimote and nunchuck combo is a very welcome aspect to FPS for me, and i bet more fans of the computer FPS would find it easier and better to use the wii for FPS instead of a ps2/3 or xbox/360.

Im sure you can tell i own a Wii. But let me say this. The ps3's graphics are indeed very very nice when in HD as are the 360's. If i were to buy another new gen console, it would be, at this point, the 360 for the simple fact its been out more, it has a lot more games id play, and its cheaper. Plus it could play Halo, and i like Halo (the first one, the second one didnt do so much for me, it felt too similar to the first). Resistance: Fall of Man does look amazing, but like i said before, i hate FPS on consoles, especially on the PS controller, because it feels so awkward to me to reach my thumbs down to get the analog sticks. But this is a matter of preference.

The thing about the Wii is, as was alluded to earlier, is that even non-gamers look at it and want to try it. Hell, my Dad said "hey, i could probably play that" and he hasn't played video games since i whooped him constantly in tecmo bowl when i was like 9. This is also part of the reason why the DS is also making big noise in the portable gaming market, as Nintendo has marketed many games to traditional non-gamers with their touch generations group of games such as Brain Age, Big Brain Acadamy, Nintendogs, and there are one or two games that are pretty much interactive graphic mystery novels coming out. Nintendo has learned that there are certain gamers that will NEVER EVER turn from PS or XBox, but that there is also millions of non-gamers out there that can be brought in. And i think thats where the Wii and DS are getting a lot of sales from. It's innovative, and intuitive, and brings games to people that normally wouldnt be as good or even be there at all without the conrols the wii and ds use.

The Wii, i believe, will be the best seller
i mean its already at over 4 million consoles, and its been out for less than 3 months, while the xbox has been out a year before it and is at just over 10 million. PS3 has been plagued by slow sales and at first a lack of availability. If the PS3 doesnt falter (which i dont think it will but who knows) in a years time we will see some really good hi-def games in 1080 and hopefully (for sony) sales will pick up a lot more. XBox will sell more when Halo3 comes out. Wii, i think, will be a continuous seller, as everyone has been still asking about them at Target, and we have PS3's sitting in the case. But it really is a matter of preference. For me, and lots of other people, I prefer something new and different, not the same old boring controls and games with just better graphics. The Wii is actually what has rekindled my love for games, as i had been in a rut for a year, perhaps more, before that in wanting to play games.

Friday, February 02, 2007 11:18 AM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:and i bet more fans of the computer FPS would find it easier and better to use the wii for FPS instead of a ps2/3 or xbox/360.
If more games on the PS3 support the KB/M set-up I think they'd feel right at home. And I doubt the Wii will get Unreal Tournament 3 any time soon.

Friday, February 02, 2007 12:20 PM on j-body.org
Predator wrote:
Tracer Bullet wrote:and i bet more fans of the computer FPS would find it easier and better to use the wii for FPS instead of a ps2/3 or xbox/360.
If more games on the PS3 support the KB/M set-up I think they'd feel right at home. And I doubt the Wii will get Unreal Tournament 3 any time soon.

i doubt the ps3 will support the KB/M set-up on many if any games
and then what would be the point of getting the ps3?
their computer would already have a KB/M and it would prolly cost less for a computer gamer to upgrade (if need be) to play the game
That and UT3 isnt the only FPS that will come out.

Friday, February 02, 2007 12:37 PM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:
Predator wrote:

their computer would already have a KB/M and it would prolly cost less for a computer gamer to upgrade (if need be) to play the game
Yes the PS3 does support KB/M it's up to the games to support it also.UT3 will be the first game to support it.
Also, you just proved my point in that post, that I mentioned in my very first post in this topic
Predator wrote:In the end it's all a matter of preference because I can tell you to go out and buy a PS3 because it OwNZ!!! But if you don't like the games they put out, why would you listen to my opinion?

Friday, February 02, 2007 4:17 PM on j-body.org
Predator wrote:
Tracer Bullet wrote:
Predator wrote:

Yes the PS3 does support KB/M it's up to the games to support it also.UT3 will be the first game to support it.
Also, you just proved my point in that post, that I mentioned in my very first post in this topic
Predator wrote:In the end it's all a matter of preference because I can tell you to go out and buy a PS3 because it OwNZ!!! But if you don't like the games they put out, why would you listen to my opinion?

but my point is, if its available for PC why buy a ps3 just to use a keyboard and mouse when the PC uses just that?
that was my point

Friday, February 02, 2007 4:38 PM on j-body.org
Predator wrote:Go take a look at Blu-Ray sales Vs. HD-DVD sales and give me that same line about not knowing which format will win.

Yes, they are listening to their consumers. We just got new firmware fixing some visual problems with PS2 software.

Without a blue ray tv, then you dont see blue ray. there are many many many many more HD tv's out there now. and plus with a rate of 1 out of 10 blue ray chips actually working, ill stick to HD. And blue ray is just a way to make movies so they cant be copied. they are fully locked down.

Looking at where consoles started, and where they came from, i vote for the 360.

My reasons are, like someone said before, online marketplace rocks. So far i have not seen anything that compares to XBOX live. Sure playstation has their version of internet gaming, but from what others tell me, its nothing like live. There are just so many internet options with the 360.

a look at the PS3 shows me you get a little bigger hard drive, and, yeah, a bigger hard drive. graphics arent all that much better than the 360 and sure dont carry a $200 price tag for the graphics you are getting.

Friday, February 02, 2007 4:43 PM on j-body.org
um you need a blu-ray PLAYER not a blu-ray TV to watch blu-ray movies
Blu-ray is just high def DVD's like HD-DVD's

Saturday, February 03, 2007 5:46 PM on j-body.org
Vincent Morris wrote:Without a blue ray tv, then you dont see blue ray. there are many many many many more HD tv's out there now. and plus with a rate of 1 out of 10 blue ray chips actually working.
You can't possibly be serious.
Vincent Morris wrote:ill stick to HD. And blue ray is just a way to make movies so they cant be copied. they are fully locked down.

Blu-Ray IS also HD (1920x1080). So the fact that that DVD's are 480p and Blu-Ray are 1080p has nothing to do with it? It's not like the quality of the picture is amazing or anything since it's "just a way to make movies so they cant be copied"?
Vincent Morris wrote:Looking at where consoles started, and where they came from, i vote for the 360.

Where they came from? The 360 is a second gen system, did you forget about the original Xbox? That's right so did M$. As soon as the X360 came out, they forgot about the Xbox, I don't even see any at stores anymore. While the PS2 is STILL going strong after 7 years!!!!
Vincent Morris wrote:My reasons are, like someone said before, online marketplace rocks. So far i have not seen anything that compares to XBOX live. Sure playstation has their version of internet gaming, but from what others tell me, its nothing like live. There are just so many internet options with the 360.
You win that round, Sonys' online community is @!#$ compared to the amount of content you get with Live. But the X360 also has a year headstart.
Vincent Morris wrote:a look at the PS3 shows me you get a little bigger hard drive, and, yeah, a bigger hard drive. graphics arent all that much better than the 360 and sure dont carry a $200 price tag for the graphics you are getting.
So I should of gotten

1. X360 ............................................$400
2.Wireless adapter..................................$100
3.HD-DVD add-on.....................................$200
4.12 Month Live Membership..........................$60
.................................................. =$760

Versus

1. PS3..............................................$600
2.Wireless adapter..................................$0
3.Blu-Ray player....................................$0
4.Lifetime membership to the PSN....................$0
...................................................=$600

Yeah I made the choice that was right for me.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 6:10 PM on j-body.org
I paid $450 and all i dont have is the wireless. i dont mind plugging it into a router since its like a 2 ft cable that plugs into the wall behind the entertainment center. And its not a problem for me to flip the switch to HD mode, and plug it into the HD tv. doesnt bother me. i am not that big of a movie buff that i have to buy HD dvd's or blue ray movies, are there even that many blue ray movies out there? i have DVD players that cost less than $200 and they play movies just fine. if not i can use my laptop. so for me...

Xbox 360...... $400
Xbox live........$free for about 12 months then $50 a year

........................$450 total

and does microsoft have a head start with live or is sony behind a year? either way i played both 360 and PS3. It just seems that xbox360 seems to have a few more games that make a big hit more than Playstation does. and the price tag is outrageous. I have been playing gears of war on 360 since it has came out. there is always someone playing a live game. plus i love that you can download movies, demo's games, profiles, pictures, teaser trailers. i mean without even having to try i found the new halo 3 trailer. thats the other big title that microsoft has. Playstation of course has its own seperate titles but nothing stands out as much except the final fantasy series which i know most people switched to PC. speaking of gears... i have to go play right now.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 6:53 PM on j-body.org
That's because they're pushing Halo 3 everywhere, that's why you didn't have to try and look for it.

Vincent Morris wrote:plus i love that you can download movies, demo's games, profiles, pictures, teaser trailers.
We'l get to d'ld and view movies,profiles in March, the rest I can already do.

I can honestly say I have no interests in playing any X360 game except for Heavy Weapon, and sometimes PGR.

I can also count the number of Xbox titles I own on both my hands.

Whereas I have close to 80 or so PS2 games and still growing.

I hate playing the waiting game with Sony but it will be well worth it.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 8:07 PM on j-body.org
Well heres my story.....

Ive been playing video games for 17 years now. I got the original NES when I was 5, and I still have the thing and play it every so often. Ever since I got my Sega Genesis, I was a diehard Sega fan. Hell I even have the CD add on and the Saturn. What I remember most back then was playability and just having fun playing the games. Graphics were never that big of a concern in the 8-bit and 16-bit era.

Kids nowadays never got the chance to grow up playing some of the classics on the older systems. Now a kids first console may be a PS3 with these amazing graphics (and believe me, i here it in EB and even Walmart from kids saying whoa, look at the graphics!!), but the playability and fun is left out of most games anymore simply because Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have one thing on their mind, making the best "LOOKING" games.

I was a sony fanboy ever since the first Playstation, and the PS2 is probably the most played system I ever had. Hell I still play it alot because of the Guitar Hero games. I caved in and got the 360 last year and so far im pretty impressed with it. Test Drive Unlimited being my favorite among a few others like the original Halo games and of course the masterpiece Dead Rising. I try to look at playability in games than graphics really. I saw some people say the racing an FPS games are getting old. Well, then dont play them. Those happen to be my two favorite genera's of games.

I havent played the PS3 or the WII yet.... and I probably wont for a while. But as much as I love my 360, especially with the HD DVD player, my vote goes to the older gen systems.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search