secession..... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
secession.....
Monday, March 26, 2007 10:07 AM on j-body.org
so I was reading the thread about the confederate flag in school, then me and a couple of friends got into a discussion about how would it be if the south, or some states decided to secede again? what would the pros/cons be? if it was a current issue, what side would u take?

personally, I really dont think it would be a bad idea if this was ever to happen.

here are the benefits I can see: (this is 100% opinionated, I may be wrong/right, and this is from a texan's point of view)

1. new set of laws, we could hopefully get rid of the *&@( laws the US govt has come up with recently (EX: patriot act)
2. I dont think terrorists would be targetting us anymore. They would be too busy targetting you guys up there in places like NY and Washington D.C. I dont think they would waste their time bombing the new mexico desert......
3. The flow of illegal immigration might be affected somehow. dont ask me how, this just pops up in my head.... since most illegal immigrants cross through the border, but they hardly ever stay here, they tend to go up north to look for jobs, where they get paid more than here (im in texas). maybe they would even change their mind about immigrating?! who knows..
4. we would get all of our soldiers back from iraq, well at least we can hope so....

cons:

1. people like george bush originate from the south, and I wouldnt doubt it one bit that they (bush familly) would get some sort of political power, or at least try...
2. smaller economies
...etc..

so I wanna hear some of you guys' opinions, would u guys be for or against this?
please state what state your from in your post, maybe we can see some difference in opinion depending on where ur from... then again maybe not...

Re: secession.....
Monday, March 26, 2007 10:30 AM on j-body.org
well im from PA (north FTW, j/k)
anyway, ,i dont think it would acutally accomplish that much
i would love to see the stupid laws, i.e. patriot act and everything gone, but its just not something that is gonna happen anytime soon
the gov't right now is on this we have to be one tangent and all that crap cuz of 9/11. this country has changed for the worse since then and i dont see how splitting it into 2 or more would help anything. think of it this way, you say

Quote:

2. I dont think terrorists would be targetting us anymore. They would be too busy targetting you guys up there in places like NY and Washington D.C. I dont think they would waste their time bombing the new mexico desert......[\quote]

the way i see it is: the terrorists, if they even still care would see that wash d.c. and Ny and them are no longer asso.c with the south (or texas and NM) therefore the "big guys" wont be helping and protecting the "south" so then they would be able to easily cause more damage if they attacked there. They wouldnt care if you were technically no longer the US or whatever. To them you are still a piece of the US and you still deserve to die.

now if we could split the country into smart people and those who believe everything the gov't tells them is true and for thier own good, then you might be onto something....

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:36 AM on j-body.org
Nowadays, if anything, the west would secede from the east. But really, the problems with secession, as happened in the civil war, would be the self-sufficience of the new "country" and getting not only a few other countries in the world to recognize them, but also come to the aid of then when the rest of the U.S. decides to go to war with it. As such, you'd have to have a lot of states seceeding at one and also to cut off all military communications from the rest of the US (I.I. a way to disconnect all of the missle silos from the pentagon).

Either way, if history has taught us anything, we'd be trading one @!#$ty government for another.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, March 26, 2007 12:35 PM on j-body.org
I'm kinda, half-jokingly advocated California split off. We pay way more than we get back from the federal government, and the rest of the country acts like we're all bunch of worthless hippes who sodomize each other. We'd be the 7th largest economy in the world if we split off.

Here's a good article about the blue stats getting the shaft on taxes..

http://www.politicalgateway.com/main/columns/read.html?col=219

"California residents' federal taxes go to many of these other states. In the ten years between 1991 and 2001, California paid $253.5 billion in federal taxes over the amount it received from the federal government. These subsidies went to red states like Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, who received $100.1 billion, $86.93 billion and $84.3 billion, respectively, above what they paid to the federal government."

---

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search