FedEx Settles Racial Discrimination Suit - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
FedEx Settles Racial Discrimination Suit
Friday, April 13, 2007 9:51 AM on j-body.org
I honestly am not sure what to think anymore. Many of you probably haven't heard this on the news, but at my work it is a huge deal. It's gotten everybody in an uproar recently. I'm not sure what to feel honestly, which is why I want some educated opinions on this issue. If you don't want to read the article, basically there was a class action lawsuit saying Latinos and African American workers who had worked there since October 1999 feel that they weren't getting treated equally and weren't being considered for promotions or raises.
I think it's kind of odd that this would happen because everybody who works at FedEx Express ramps is on a pay scale, your managers don't decide who gets paid what. I also have several "mexican" and "black" managers both in the A.M. and P.M. So I don't see where the discrimination is coming from. What really bothers me is every employee who is "black" or "mexican" is getting up to $2,000 in the settlement just for being a certain race. People who had no intentions of becoming managers EVER are getting $2,000 AND MORE just for being a certain skin color.
I feel it is extremely unfair and it's actually extremely disappointing. It's brought alot of hostility between co-workers, even though it's probably not anybody's fault that works at my certain ramp. I know it's just $2,000, but most people who have gotten their checks boast about it's a good thing....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/business/12fedex.html

What do you guys think?

Re: FedEx Settles Racial Discrimination Suit
Friday, April 13, 2007 11:00 AM on j-body.org
I've never really understood how thinking that all white people are naturally racist isn't racist in itself. Besides, there's so much more kinds of bigotry in the world it's unbelieveable. I personally have never really cared about people's race because I'm a halfbreed mutt. Half-injun, half-french, all backwoods uneducated redneck. Doesn't really bother me. The problem I think with a lot of people is that they believe the slurs. Blacks believe that they're destined to be lazy criminal drug addicts. Mexicans believe that they're supposed to be second class citizens that are have no better use for this country than to be wage slaves. Native Americans, the race I am a part of, believe that they're born alcoholics that will never fit into the world because they're still half savage.

There's TWO reasons someone gets upset by a racial slur. #1 It's used every day by almost everyone you meet or #2 You secretely believe it deep down in your heart.

These are the only two reasons, and since reason #1 doesn't occur anymore. Well...

It's not the world's problem that some people have no self-esteem. It's not our job to make anyone feel better about themselves. Get off your ass and quit whining.

The idea that any company wouldn't want a Mexican working for them is ridiculous. They work harder than anyone in the world. It's not racial. It's just a work ethic that's more prevalent in Mexico than here. That's all. Black men make better cops than anyone. The best cops in the world are black. The best athletes in the world are black. The cop thing has to do with a disgust for injusttice that's been drilled into a lot of young black men. The athlete thing is a little racial, since it means that they're born a little big bigger and stronger, but most black guys work hard to become athletes. You have to learn co-ordination and reflexes. It's not innate. Native Americans (my guys again) would make the best soldiers if they stopped being slackers on the reservations. Bravery and loyalty runs in the blood of the original people.

Everyone has advantages and disadvantages that have to do with their race. White guys get to see themselves more on TV, but they also get a lot more crap thrown at them. So it balances itself out. Doesn't bother me that no one on TV looks like me. I'm happy with who I am. The world doesn't have to be my mirror.

You should be happy your friends got the extra money. It's nice for them. They, on the other hand, should voice that it sucks that you didn't get the money. Why? Because they're your friends. Friends commiserate with each other. It's what friends do, and color will never have anything to do with that.

Friday, April 13, 2007 4:35 PM on j-body.org
Mikedirntrulez wrote:
I think it's kind of odd that this would happen because everybody who works at FedEx Express ramps is on a pay scale, your managers don't decide who gets paid what.

What do you guys think?

From two seconds of searching, I found it has nothing to do with pay increased.

From
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=OBR&Date=20070411&ID=6732612

"The suit alleged that FedEx Express discriminated against its African-American and Hispanic workers by passing them over for promotion, paying them less than white workers and treating them unfairly in evaluation and disciplinary proceedings."

---

Friday, April 13, 2007 7:45 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:paying them less than white workers and treating them unfairly in evaluation and disciplinary proceedings."

And your evaluation also decides how much of a raise you get for that year.

Friday, April 13, 2007 8:15 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
Mikedirntrulez wrote:
I think it's kind of odd that this would happen because everybody who works at FedEx Express ramps is on a pay scale, your managers don't decide who gets paid what.

What do you guys think?

From two seconds of searching, I found it has nothing to do with pay increased.

From
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=OBR&Date=20070411&ID=6732612

"The suit alleged that FedEx Express discriminated against its African-American and Hispanic workers by passing them over for promotion, paying them less than white workers and treating them unfairly in evaluation and disciplinary proceedings."

Obviously has something to do with it...

Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:30 AM on j-body.org
pay increases <> average wage

Obviously, they settled. Something was wrong.

---

Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:34 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:pay increases <> average wage

Obviously, they settled. Something was wrong.

Nevermind. I don't even want to discuss it any further. Not one reply except part of Knoxfire's is even close to what I wanted to discuss. I guess @!#$ happens and I have to deal with it.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:01 AM on j-body.org
What did you want to hear? The system doesn't appear unfair from your perspective? Well maybe not, but being a huge company and all, there may have been problems elsewhere that you didn't see. Some thing was a miss or they wouldn't have settled so easily.. That or they were backed into a corner and didn't want a media circus.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:56 PM on j-body.org
the fedex hub i worked at everyone was paid the same to start
how well you did your job was up to you

and there was not anything necessarily wrong persay for them to settle, they could have just settled to prevent it from getting so high profile and keeping it out of the news since people are so @!#$ sensitive

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search