Street Racing, Is this punishment to harsh? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Street Racing, Is this punishment to harsh?
Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:28 AM on j-body.org
Click Me...then click Video Link
My reaction:
Mother @!#$ son of a bitch. I would @!#$ go off the deep end. I think that is more than a little extreme. That is personal property, and they have no right to destroy it.

I use to street race....back in 2001. I got caught, paid the fines, paid the court costs, paid $400 a month for car insurance. I learned my lesson(s)....the hard way. I have NEVER street raced again, and will not do it again. Impounding the car i understand, but crushing my car that I put blood, sweat, money, and tears into I would flip the @!#$ out. Fine them heavily, jail time if need be, and community service. Don't crush the car that some one spend a lot of money on.

My street racing turned into legal drag racing, auto crossing, and road racing. I do not condone street racing... it is dumb, you/I could hurt or kill someone. If you street race YOU should have penalties, but not destroying private property.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Re: Street Racing, Is this punishment to harsh?
Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:11 AM on j-body.org
It's just a car man, think of it as time served or a heavy fine.

Considering the fact that street racing often kills uninvolved people, tasks police resources disproportionately and shows general disregard for public safety I don't think it's harsh at all. When someone street races they are thoughtlessly putting the lives of everyone in the area at risk. I have read far too many accident reports where a street race ended the lives of non-participants. Motorvehicle manslaughter carries a 5 year suspention here, that is far too light if you ask me. The problem was (but no longer is) that our law did not differentiate between a simple accident and a street race (which is no accident). We now have laws to deal directly with street racing and I applaud them.

It's not a simple speeding incident, it's not a simple accident when it happens. This is mindless disregard for the safety of others and that is shamefull.

Tack it to the track, risk only yourself and people who volentarily attended, have fun and play safe, no problem.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:12 AM on j-body.org
Don't want your car destroyed by the state, then don't street race. Seems pretty simple to me.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:23 AM on j-body.org
They have been doing this in Ontario for a couple years (Canada). Funny part is, in there have only been 8 related street racing deaths here since 1999, yet drunk drivng has killeds thousands, cell phone usage in the car has killed hundreds apon hundreds more, hell soccer moom looking back @ their kids to yell has most likely casued more fatalities, yet they spend MILLIONS to crackdown on street racing, where as the funding to catch drunk drivers is non existent, and cell phone usage is not even cared about.

I do not condone street racing , I just feeel it is used as a scapegoat, and that more lives could be saved if the money was put into RIDE programs, and such.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:46 AM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:Mother @!#$ son of a bitch. I would @!#$ go off the deep end. I think that is more than a little extreme. That is personal property, and they have no right to destroy it.

It's plain retarded to destroy a vehicle that is worth thousand of dollars or more to make a statement. If you're just going to crush 'em, why not auction off the parts? The profits would be ungodly lol.

On them not having the right to destroy it, you take the risk of getting caught when you street race and you also put yourself at the mercy of the court system. California just happens to take about everything to the extreme.

But if they're going to crush cars for street racing, then why not do the same for drunk drivers? The day after someone is cited for DUI, they should have to come down and see there car crushed. But I guess that would be too harsh of a punishment

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:06 AM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:Click Me...then click Video Link
My reaction:
Mother @!#$ son of a bitch. I would @!#$ go off the deep end. I think that is more than a little extreme. That is personal property, and they have no right to destroy it.

I use to street race....back in 2001. I got caught, paid the fines, paid the court costs, paid $400 a month for car insurance. I learned my lesson(s)....the hard way. I have NEVER street raced again, and will not do it again. Impounding the car i understand, but crushing my car that I put blood, sweat, money, and tears into I would flip the @!#$ out. Fine them heavily, jail time if need be, and community service. Don't crush the car that some one spend a lot of money on.

My street racing turned into legal drag racing, auto crossing, and road racing. I do not condone street racing... it is dumb, you/I could hurt or kill someone. If you street race YOU should have penalties, but not destroying private property.

I'd rather get my car crushed than my rear pounded....

---

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:13 AM on j-body.org
John W(Ranger1316) wrote:But if they're going to crush cars for street racing, then why not do the same for drunk drivers? The day after someone is cited for DUI, they should have to come down and see there car crushed. But I guess that would be too harsh of a punishment

Why not...right.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:32 AM on j-body.org
Short Hand wrote:They have been doing this in Ontario for a couple years (Canada). Funny part is, in there have only been 8 related street racing deaths here since 1999, yet drunk drivng has killeds thousands, cell phone usage in the car has killed hundreds apon hundreds more, hell soccer moom looking back @ their kids to yell has most likely casued more fatalities, yet they spend MILLIONS to crackdown on street racing, where as the funding to catch drunk drivers is non existent, and cell phone usage is not even cared about.

I do not condone street racing , I just feeel it is used as a scapegoat, and that more lives could be saved if the money was put into RIDE programs, and such.

Where have you been?!?!? There were six killed in the last two weeks by street racing, only one involved police. Last night 2 were killed by a drunk driver, but those are the first I have heard of in a couple months.

I like to drive fast, but that's not racing. I like to race, but that belongs at the track. When I race, I take my bike to a road course. It is so much fun it will remove your urge to street race completely. For those who do street race, you should quit before your luck does. Take it to a track, you'll never street race again once you experience the track. That's definately way, way more fun, and way, way more safe.

Quote:

It's plain retarded to destroy a vehicle that is worth thousand of dollars or more to make a statement. If you're just going to crush 'em, why not auction off the parts? The profits would be ungodly lol.

They did that but they realised all that did was put them back on the street. From an enforcement perspective, that's a bad thing.

DUI in Canada will get you a permanent criminal record (you can never be bonded, therefore some jobs are out), you loose your license for at least one year, get heavy fines and end up in facility insurance (can you say minimum $4000/year?) for 6 years. That's on first offence assuming you did not cause an accident. If you did cause an accident then other charges will also apply. One second offence you get the above minimum, but more likely a 2 year suspention a $5000 fine (and possible jail time) plus when you return to driving you will have a breathalizer interlock on your ignition. If you are caught a 3rd time you can forget driving and you will go to jail, period.

If you can't do the time, you better not do the crime. Too bad for you, do not pass go, do not collect $200

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, June 22, 2007 1:08 PM on j-body.org
Well, a "PERMANENT" criminal record in Canada is a relative thing: you can be pardoned, and your previous record sealed in perpetuity, even if you re-offend, the pardoned records can't be used.

Either way, Street racing is utterly moronic.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, June 22, 2007 1:21 PM on j-body.org
You do have to remain good a clean for a long time before the pardon will be given, and even then you have to ask for it and pay a fee.

Anyway, point taken.

PAX

- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, June 22, 2007 7:29 PM on j-body.org
Depends on the offence. I've seen (and processed) a convicted set of fingerprints and in the same week processed the pardon. Asking for it is a matter of going to a Pardons Board, getting a form and paying a $29.95 fingerprint processing fee (same as most civil applications).

Not to belabour the point, but there's a point to the crushing of cars, it's not for first time offenders, it's for people that just don't learn... I think you need to have 4-5 convictions (in Ontario) for engaging in a race on public highways before the crown can request sentence of forfeiture of assets. The sticky part comes when the ones doing the racing don't in fact own the car. Thats when you see prison sentences.

As for chronic DUI/DWI violators, there is at least one case where a person who had 65 violations had not only his cars, but also his house sold as forfeit, and part of his sentence was to move to public housing closest to the Liquor/Beer stores. It was so he could walk to get his booze instead of drive.

Friday, July 06, 2007 10:58 PM on j-body.org
I don't street race and i don't like street racing. But i think crushing the cars is alil overboard. To alot of people there car is there life. That don't mean they don't have a life, they just have an extreme love for there car. Honestly i don't think there is enough money period to buy my 98. I bought it brand new and I still have it, don't ever have any intention of selling it. If something happened to the car i would fell like i lost a part of me. I dunno maybe I just love my car alil to much
But back on point, the crushing is to over the top. But i guess they have to do what they have to do. Thats why I don't street race

Saturday, July 07, 2007 6:48 AM on j-body.org
What you seem to miss is that people who race on public roads are willing to take your life. If their car = their life then they have way too much emotional investment in the car and because they willingly risked the lives of other non-participants they deserve to lose it anyway.

Far too many street races end in the death of a non-participant, period.

Wanna race? Go to the track, that's what they're there for.

Some of the fine money should be invested in education and perhaps some local track promotion. Heck, they should even do a day where you can race against the COPs in the crusers and their private cars. Build a relationship, increase interest in track racing and have a good time overall. It'd be fun.

PAX

- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Saturday, July 07, 2007 7:25 PM on j-body.org
Street racing is completely stupid. People who street race deserve what they get. But that doesn't override one all-important cornerstone of life in America(which apparently CA isn't entirely aware of) - rights. Even the greatest of jackasses have rights. This includes right of property - not to mention due process of law(which if police are just crushing them as they come... that bypasses the due process).

Aside from legality and constitutionality - the car crushing is still stupid. Those cars should either be parted out and sold or auction as a whole - just like cars seized from drug dealers etc. Then the profits should be used for funding anti-street racing initiatives. That is what a smart state would do - "but I don't exactly credit (California) with an over-abundance of brains."(modifying a quote from Serenity)

The fact that those parts if not crushed can be re-used on street racing cars is inconsequential - since not all car modifiers street race, and because even if those crushed parts can't be re-used on another street racing car, what is to stop the street racer from just buying new or used parts from where they got them in the first place?! Nothing.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Sunday, July 08, 2007 1:40 PM on j-body.org
Bastardking3000 wrote:Street racing is completely stupid. People who street race deserve what they get. But that doesn't override one all-important cornerstone of life in America(which apparently CA isn't entirely aware of ) - rights. Even the greatest of jackasses have rights. This includes right of property - not to mention due process of law(which if police are just crushing them as they come... that bypasses the due process).

this is exactly my argument as well, but the whole idea of crushing cars in canada seems to be more to do with the fact that our politicians dont think before trying to make laws. i dont believe they have crushed any cars actually owned by racers, although they did build one to be crushed as a warning to try show they are "serious" about this. but the fact remains that if they crush a car and the charge is dropped after it goes to court there is going to be some very severe legal action against the government. if they wait till after it goes to court that could take a long time for all the appeals etc. to go through, what do they do with the car in the mean time and how do they ensure that the person, who is innocent untill proven guilty, gets to work as well as any other places they need a car for? there are just too many loopholes in the laws for this idea to be feasible.

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Sunday, July 08, 2007 2:44 PM on j-body.org
BK3K: You're right, almost.. You may not be deprived of life, liberty or property... Without Due Process.

California has created a law that essentially forfeits your right to the property used in the commission of a crime (just like guns, drug lab paraphernalia, laundered cash... ). By breaking the law, you're looking at the possibility of losing that property. The simple solution is to not break the law.

1997ztwo4: Depends on the province: Ontario didn't "build" a couple cars to get crushed, they actually crushed 2 cars owned by people who were caught, charged and convicted of street racing... 6 times. What you're not familiar with is something that I've talked about numerous times: You cannot have your property removed from you unless you are charged, tried and convicted of an offence that qualifies under the Ontario Civil Remedies act (which includes sect. 172/172.1 of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act). Under the Ontario CRA, a judge may decide what to do with forfeited items, and destruction is a possibility. You may appeal before the sentence is carried out, but if you lose the appeal, your property is forfeited. This isn't something that happens in a couple days. The 2 lads that lost their rides had been caught more than once, and had gone through this process that would take about a year or more.

Seriously, that's the process takes a while, it's methodical, and the easiest way to get around that: Don't break the law.

Monday, July 09, 2007 2:00 PM on j-body.org
Look at it this way: If you streetrace and kill someone, the punishment will be the same as if you streetrace and kill yourself--the car is crushed.

Now, the only thing that would put me 100% in favor of this law is if someone is streetracing, and they kill someone with their nigh-infinite buffoonery, then they crush the car, with the perpetrator in it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:00 AM on j-body.org
the people who got their cars crushed are not first time offenders. its not like they got stopped for the first time ever for street racing and had their car crushed. these people are the ones who have been ticketed 3-4 times and still havent learned. hopefully now they learn. my thoughts? @!#$ them

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:50 AM on j-body.org
^^^Exactly.

I still think if you want complete support from us cynics and misanthropists you have to have it include the provision that if your streetracing caused the death of an "innocent" bystander they crush your car with you inside of it.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Friday, July 13, 2007 12:54 PM on j-body.org
hmm..yet drunk driver still get to drive..sweet..sounds logical cause they neer hurt innocent bystanders lol...street racing has been blown way out of proportion imo..drugs/alcohol kills many more people yet thy have leaner punishment..hmm..election comming up? i think so!
Friday, July 13, 2007 1:25 PM on j-body.org
^^^i'm also in favor of crushing drunk driver's vehicles. them in it if they kill someone.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:06 PM on j-body.org
Yes drunk driving is a problem and yes it does kill more people than street racing.. Get caught drinking and driving 6 or 7 times.. Wait that won't happen, you'll be in jail after 4 (if not 3). These guys are repeat offenders that are having their cars crushed.. Repeat offending drunks are in jail having there rectoms expanded instead of their cars crushed. At least the racers get to go home (walking I guess).

The point is that the punishment for drunk driving is NOT lighter than for street racing.

PAX

- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, July 13, 2007 8:18 PM on j-body.org
Street racing in Ontario gets you a 7 day vehicle impoundment and 7 day suspension of license.

DUI/DWI and failing/refusing blood alcohol test is a 1 year suspension, and usually a $1500 fine. If you have any other offences (like leave scene of accident, or obstruct peace officer (which usually accompanies refusal of BA% test)) you're looking at jail time.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:58 PM on j-body.org
I agree with what people are seeing, but if you watch the 2nd vid on this . . . There were only TWO cars that were racing, yet 13 got crushed total out of this sweep. I have the vid that shows more of them being crushed and has a bit more story to it. The cop right there says that only two were driving the race cars and that the others were motorists, or people just "watching the event". So basically the cops raided this street racer meet, snagged everyones cars including the people watching and crushed everything to make a statement. THAT is f*ckin ridiculous. I would like for them to try that s*it with me if you are parked in a legal spot, car not running, just watching whats going on. I'd like for them to say you are apart of this racer BS, cause it'd blow right back in their face.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:14 PM on j-body.org
I don't know California Highway code... But I don't see that being something that they'd pick up in a sweep and crush cars over.

Again, I don't know for certain, but I wouldn't doubt that the other cars crushed were those of street racers not just spectators.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search