Street Racing, Is this punishment to harsh? - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Street Racing, Is this punishment to harsh?
Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:01 AM on j-body.org
I know that yesterday OPP were tagging "rubber necks" with careless charges.

There was an accident causing a huge backup in traffic and people were taking pictures as they drove past the scene. The OPP said there were motorists taking both hands off the wheel and sticking their heads out the window to use their camera-phones. Nice.. So they laid careless charges on a bunch. That hurts and in a way, they desrve it. They were endagering EMS workers with their behavior.

The big crush was likely a propaganda move on enforcement's part. Intimidation is part of the game unfortunately.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:18 AM on j-body.org
in my opinion that gives people that actually street race more of a reason to actually try to run and risk everything to get away, because it would be better to get away with damage then to not get away at all. all of this street racing funding should be going elsewhere!

Friday, July 20, 2007 6:44 AM on j-body.org
If they are street racing they were all ready driving at the limits.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, July 20, 2007 5:30 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:If they are street racing they were all ready driving at the limits.

PAX
yeah except that most of them probably stop once they see the berries and cherries. Now alot more of them are probably gonna try to get away from the cops. I'm SURE that is gonna be a "good" thing...

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Friday, July 20, 2007 5:47 PM on j-body.org
Bullsh*t.

People that are already going too fast are just going to try to run faster, I've yet to hear about a person that got pinched for Street Racing that didn't try to run at least for a little while until they were spike-stripped or had multiple cruisers on them. People don't consider the long-term when they run, they just don't want to get caught.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, July 20, 2007 11:32 PM on j-body.org
See...what I don't get is why they don't just take it some place else.

I mean, for me...it doesn't exactly work out to go to the track...nearest one is about 3 hours away (no excuse, but still) for the amount that I race, and where I race...that just seems insane to me. Destroying private property without due process is something that is highly illegal...thats almost a worse crime than street racing in the sense that they have set a precedence...

Seems a little much to me...and who's to say they wont go out and get another car and do it again...want to stop them from street racing? Take away the license.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:40 PM on j-body.org
Tracks are harder to come by these days... it's also a severe PITA to organize a group of people to go out and have a track day. It's not an excuse, but it'd be better if it were easier.

Crushing those cars was done with the weight of due process. If it wasn't, the affected PD would open itself up to MASSIVE punitive and re-cooperative suits. If it's LAPD, they don't need that kind of exposure.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:19 PM on j-body.org
-MD- LD9 wrote:Click Me...then click Video Link
My reaction:
Mother @!#$ son of a bitch. I would @!#$ go off the deep end. I think that is more than a little extreme. That is personal property, and they have no right to destroy it.

I use to street race....back in 2001. I got caught, paid the fines, paid the court costs, paid $400 a month for car insurance. I learned my lesson(s)....the hard way. I have NEVER street raced again, and will not do it again. Impounding the car i understand, but crushing my car that I put blood, sweat, money, and tears into I would flip the @!#$ out. Fine them heavily, jail time if need be, and community service. Don't crush the car that some one spend a lot of money on.

My street racing turned into legal drag racing, auto crossing, and road racing. I do not condone street racing... it is dumb, you/I could hurt or kill someone. If you street race YOU should have penalties, but not destroying private property.

dont street race no problems. its stupid to do, pay a few bucks and go to the track, before you kill yourself or somebody else

Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:13 AM on j-body.org
^^^ Basically, yeah.

I doubt highly that crushing cars was the first offence... I'm going to guess that these were people that were chronic offenders.

One thing I've seen happen with some great success is police (on first street racing or reckless driving pull-overs) issuing a ticket to a "beat the heat" night. You avoid a ticket, a court date and other hang-ups with insurance. If you get caught a second time, though.. you're fried chicken.

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:27 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:
Short Hand wrote:They have been doing this in Ontario for a couple years (Canada). Funny part is, in there have only been 8 related street racing deaths here since 1999, yet drunk drivng has killeds thousands, cell phone usage in the car has killed hundreds apon hundreds more, hell soccer moom looking back @ their kids to yell has most likely casued more fatalities, yet they spend MILLIONS to crackdown on street racing, where as the funding to catch drunk drivers is non existent, and cell phone usage is not even cared about.

I do not condone street racing , I just feeel it is used as a scapegoat, and that more lives could be saved if the money was put into RIDE programs, and such.

Where have you been?!?!? There were six killed in the last two weeks by street racing, only one involved police. Last night 2 were killed by a drunk driver, but those are the first I have heard of in a couple months.

I like to drive fast, but that's not racing. I like to race, but that belongs at the track. When I race, I take my bike to a road course. It is so much fun it will remove your urge to street race completely. For those who do street race, you should quit before your luck does. Take it to a track, you'll never street race again once you experience the track. That's definately way, way more fun, and way, way more safe.

Quote:

It's plain retarded to destroy a vehicle that is worth thousand of dollars or more to make a statement. If you're just going to crush 'em, why not auction off the parts? The profits would be ungodly lol.

They did that but they realised all that did was put them back on the street. From an enforcement perspective, that's a bad thing.

DUI in Canada will get you a permanent criminal record (you can never be bonded, therefore some jobs are out), you loose your license for at least one year, get heavy fines and end up in facility insurance (can you say minimum $4000/year?) for 6 years. That's on first offence assuming you did not cause an accident. If you did cause an accident then other charges will also apply. One second offence you get the above minimum, but more likely a 2 year suspention a $5000 fine (and possible jail time) plus when you return to driving you will have a breathalizer interlock on your ignition. If you are caught a 3rd time you can forget driving and you will go to jail, period.

If you can't do the time, you better not do the crime. Too bad for you, do not pass go, do not collect $200

They throw around the term in a MUCH more liberal sense THIS year then they have in previous. What is considered "street racing" now, 3 years ago was not.

PAX

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Monday, July 23, 2007 10:31 PM on j-body.org
Short Hand wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:
Short Hand wrote:They have been doing this in Ontario for a couple years (Canada). Funny part is, in there have only been 8 related street racing deaths here since 1999, yet drunk drivng has killeds thousands, cell phone usage in the car has killed hundreds apon hundreds more, hell soccer moom looking back @ their kids to yell has most likely casued more fatalities, yet they spend MILLIONS to crackdown on street racing, where as the funding to catch drunk drivers is non existent, and cell phone usage is not even cared about.

I do not condone street racing , I just feeel it is used as a scapegoat, and that more lives could be saved if the money was put into RIDE programs, and such.

Where have you been?!?!? There were six killed in the last two weeks by street racing, only one involved police. Last night 2 were killed by a drunk driver, but those are the first I have heard of in a couple months.

I like to drive fast, but that's not racing. I like to race, but that belongs at the track. When I race, I take my bike to a road course. It is so much fun it will remove your urge to street race completely. For those who do street race, you should quit before your luck does. Take it to a track, you'll never street race again once you experience the track. That's definately way, way more fun, and way, way more safe.

Quote:

It's plain retarded to destroy a vehicle that is worth thousand of dollars or more to make a statement. If you're just going to crush 'em, why not auction off the parts? The profits would be ungodly lol.

They did that but they realised all that did was put them back on the street. From an enforcement perspective, that's a bad thing.

DUI in Canada will get you a permanent criminal record (you can never be bonded, therefore some jobs are out), you loose your license for at least one year, get heavy fines and end up in facility insurance (can you say minimum $4000/year?) for 6 years. That's on first offence assuming you did not cause an accident. If you did cause an accident then other charges will also apply. One second offence you get the above minimum, but more likely a 2 year suspention a $5000 fine (and possible jail time) plus when you return to driving you will have a breathalizer interlock on your ignition. If you are caught a 3rd time you can forget driving and you will go to jail, period.

If you can't do the time, you better not do the crime. Too bad for you, do not pass go, do not collect $200

PAX

They throw around the term in a MUCH more liberal sense THIS year then they have in previous. What is considered "street racing" now, 3 years ago was not.

PLZ could a mod DELETE the above post.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:38 PM on j-body.org
^^^ Ask a mod directly with the contact us button, and include the address.

As for what constitutes Street Racing: that's officer's prerogative, and always has been. That's part of the reason that you can fight that kind of a ticket.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 3:06 PM on j-body.org
so cal is a bit worse off than the rest of cali... in diego, we a are a test area for a new law... I don't remember the name, but it goes that if you are pulled over for any reason, and a cop finds out, or has suspicion that any part of your car is illegal, or stolen... No questions asked impounded crushed next day... That is an even bigger extreme from just street racing... and the definition has changed what used to be exhibition of speed (i.e. burnouts, fast acceleration, sliding in a parking lot, revving) is now called street racing and if the cop feels the fancy can impound on a first time offense

as far as crushing cars.... I have a metaphor, everyone who steals an apple in cali will get there hand cut off... every man who commits adultery in cali get his penis lopped off... the punishment must always meet the crime(or at least close) but crushing my pride and joy, the reason we loss sleep, the reason we argue with our girls, the reason we call in fake to work... the only thing they accomplish is that they are the bigger itimidator, and they want this scene to not exist... we are going to race, that will most likely not change... But one thing you can count on is that cops will always be asses...(delete this if you must) but if I have a friend get a $268 ticket for one, 1, uno, mile over the limit and a 6 month suspension... and I get pulled over because a cop "thought it looked like you were going to race that red honda in front of you" ... cops can kiss my ass for being quota driven non intelligent workers that don't have a concept of how much time and effort we put into our babies... wait they do, all that time in police academy, but they don't get fired for not following procedure to a tee... That would be a good start to a compromise

I don't say street racing is a good thing, I just know it happens, so why don't we try to stop the sun from coming up... because we might get better results...

Saturday, August 04, 2007 4:03 PM on j-body.org
You CAN fight tickets and sue the state/local PD for reimbursement for crushing the vehicle without due process.

The state will probably back off once they have 60-70 well publicized law suits pertaining to the illegal seizure and destruction of property.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 6:20 PM on j-body.org
Take you pride and joy, you baby, the thing you fight with your girl over, the thing you lose sleep over (LMAO, you will too in 10 years) to the nice safe legal track. The place where you don't risk bystander's lives, don't risk imprisonment, fines and the loss of your precious.

There are 1/4 miles, 1/8 miles, and road courses all over the place, not to mention local auto cross events etc. There are tons of legal, safe ways to race. There is no excuse for doing it on the street.

PAX

- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Saturday, August 04, 2007 8:25 PM on j-body.org
I understand you lost a friend to street racing... I lost a friend in the Marines... I don't swear off every enlistee... the road is a dangerous place to begin with... street racing for the most part and the deaths they carry are from idiots that have road rage and need to swerve and try to make people crash... as far as people who know what there doing and know when to stop, (108 no choice) they don't hardly contribute to the death toll...

once again I don't want to start a war w/ you I do understand your loss and I know how it feels to lose someone close to you...

Saturday, August 04, 2007 10:40 PM on j-body.org
YOU DO THE CRIME YOU DO THE @!#$ TIME
people that bitch about this @!#$ obviously have nothing better to do

Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:22 AM on j-body.org
Street racing is where you endanger yourself and others through reckless acts of speed.

The Marines is where you follow orders and endanger people as often as is required.

The difference: Marines choose to go into danger, the people who's lives you risk by street racing don't get a say in that choice

Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:10 AM on j-body.org
brian warren wrote:I understand you lost a friend to street racing... I lost a friend in the Marines... I don't swear off every enlistee... the road is a dangerous place to begin with... street racing for the most part and the deaths they carry are from idiots that have road rage and need to swerve and try to make people crash... as far as people who know what there doing and know when to stop, (108 no choice) they don't hardly contribute to the death toll...

once again I don't want to start a war w/ you I do understand your loss and I know how it feels to lose someone close to you...

No, you don't understand. That is obvious.

Do you think every person that has 2 beers and gets behind the wheel is likely to kill someone? No.. Do you expect the police to be able to differentiate? Does it make it OK for "Joe" to drive the two blocks home after 4 beers? He'll make it, likely, without causing an accident, but it is not OK.

Accidents happen, tires blow, roads get holes, dogs run out, kid play in the street. Good drivers have bad things happen to them. Take a simple fender bender. Someone leaves a side street not seeing an oncoming car (bike likely). At the speed limit the collision is bad, T-bone. Driver is injured but will survive, the perp here took it in the driver door, they didn't see the oncoming for some reason. The driver of the impacting car had little time to get on the brakes but managed to slow for the last 15 feet. Their car is a mess but they are OK.

Now take that scenerio and make the impact speed triple the posted limit. The person pulling out didn't have a chance, this time the oncoming came so fast it crushed the driver door into the console, the driver is dead. The oncoming car has it's hood reduced to nothing. The driver of that car is seriously injured with two broken legs, a shattered pelvis, a punchtured spleen, whiplash, and a broken arm (the on that was on the wheel). We now have a racer in critical and ironicly their victom is dead.

Same accident, could happen to anyone. The difference is the speed at which it happened. Are you starting to get it yet?

Do you think anyone crashes on purpose? Have you had an accident before? If so, think about what it would have been like at double or triple the speed. Ever just missed being in an accident while driving in a silly manner? What if you were going just 10mph faster, would you still have avoided the collision? Ever come over a hill to stopped traffic? What if you were going faster that time?

Just about anything can happen anytime on the road. You cannot predict with any certainty. When you do crash, if you were at least close to posted limits the accident will be surviveable. If you add a large dose of speed and simple fender bender becomes a flaming ball of metal and glass.

I live in Canada. A place where auto culture isn't quite as strong as in the US. We have 1/10th the population (roughly) and yet from where I live within one hour I have 2 drag strips and a road course is being built. Within 3 hours add another 2 drag strips and a road couse and a 1/2 mile oval. Within 4 hours there are 3 more road courses and who knows how many drag strips, and a couple more ovals. I you want a really nice road course (as in F1 quality) there is a day trip, but worth every penny. It is perfectly normal for us to take the bikes to any of these tracks, cars are welcome on different days. We do it all the time, in fact almost every weekend in the summer someone I know is going for track time. Gratten (in the US) is a favourite, Shannonvile, Cayuga, Mosport, are common trips, and sometimes, for that special day, Tremblant is about a 7or 8 hour drive but worth every moment. Then there's the local parking lot events.

I am convinced I have access to fewer tracks than people in the US, so again, there is absolutely no excuse. I have street raced, I have no excuse apart from idiotic pride (testosterone) and stupidity combined with a general disregard for the safety of myself and others. If I had been caught (was once back in the 80s), I deserved whatever I got. You know I have never fought a ticket that I deserved. You shouldn't either. It's time to grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

Tracks are way, way more fun on top of it all. You take away all the stress of traffic, lights, intersections, and most of all police. You add an excellent surface, like minded people, track marshals and EMS on standby (just in case). You can get out there and really race, not pseudo-racing like what happens on the street. It is a blast, worth every penny and far, far safer for everyone. Everyone, yourself included. It doesn't cost that much especially if you consider you can race all day for your dime. All fricken day. You end up exhausted just from adrenaline bubbles all day, from the mental strain of actual racing, and just from the absolute thrill. It is a blast. If you try it, you'll never go back to street racing, I promise.

PAX

- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:12 PM on j-body.org
More should be done to prevent cell phone use and drunk driving, but you can't look away from the dangers of "streetracing". However, as someone who has been involved in organized streetracing for a number of years I feel like its too easy for people to lump all streetracers together. Anyone who has ever exceeded the posted limit belongs in the category by that logic because someone determined it was "dangerous".

The truth is there are plenty of kids who are dangerous on public roadways and it is a real cause for concern, but that is a comment on their moral character and not their chosen activity. I truly believe that you can have a safe speed contest on the street, but like anything else you must posess the responsibility and accountibility to do so. I'm not speaking to the Fast 'n' Furious set, because I don't think they really understand, but streetracing is part of Americana. Our fathers did it in the 60's, in 4000lb gassers with only a lap belt. They were smart about it and they took care of each other. I think that aspect of it is long gone, its been replaced by ricer flybys and highway antics.

I personally feel that two sound & sorted cars running heads up on a one way street late at night is perfectly safe, and poses no danger to anyone. You would have a hard time convincing me otherwise, but to some people, the definition of "streetracing" is weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic with 3 of your buddies in the car, and anyone can see thats going to go bad fast, as it often does.

Everyones definition of streetracing is different, and mine certainly doesn't fit what is being described here by others. I consider myself a pretty considerate guy and certainly a responsible driver. I'd rather not be lumped in with the drunks, cell phone chatters, and anyone who drives dangerously in traffic, because thats not me, and its not what streetracing is to me.

Flame away...

1996 Pontiac Sunfire, Stock (Daily Driver)
1986 Camaro Z28, 383ci Stroker (Street/Strip Toy)
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo, Highly Modified (Track Car Project)
Monday, August 20, 2007 10:44 AM on j-body.org
This does nothing except waste perfectly good cars.

I don't condone street racing, but crushing a perfectly good automobile that could go to a family in need, or be re-sold to support the police department is ridiculous. Unless of course the Ontario police are rolling in cash, unlike every other police organization in North America.

Kill off expensive cars and they'll make cheaper street racing cars. For under 3K a competitive straight line car could be made , and in a few nights of racing its paid for. It gets crushed and its the cost of doing business.

Also what happens in the situation where its someone else's car?

I guess you could say this falls into my view of the death penalty, ultimate sentences can not be given by an imperfect justice system.

-Chris

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:02 AM on j-body.org
Rainmaker wrote:More should be done to prevent cell phone use and drunk driving, but you can't look away from the dangers of "streetracing". However, as someone who has been involved in organized streetracing for a number of years I feel like its too easy for people to lump all streetracers together. Anyone who has ever exceeded the posted limit belongs in the category by that logic because someone determined it was "dangerous".

The truth is there are plenty of kids who are dangerous on public roadways and it is a real cause for concern, but that is a comment on their moral character and not their chosen activity. I truly believe that you can have a safe speed contest on the street, but like anything else you must posess the responsibility and accountibility to do so. I'm not speaking to the Fast 'n' Furious set, because I don't think they really understand, but streetracing is part of Americana. Our fathers did it in the 60's, in 4000lb gassers with only a lap belt. They were smart about it and they took care of each other. I think that aspect of it is long gone, its been replaced by ricer flybys and highway antics.

I personally feel that two sound & sorted cars running heads up on a one way street late at night is perfectly safe, and poses no danger to anyone. You would have a hard time convincing me otherwise, but to some people, the definition of "streetracing" is weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic with 3 of your buddies in the car, and anyone can see thats going to go bad fast, as it often does.

Everyones definition of streetracing is different, and mine certainly doesn't fit what is being described here by others. I consider myself a pretty considerate guy and certainly a responsible driver. I'd rather not be lumped in with the drunks, cell phone chatters, and anyone who drives dangerously in traffic, because thats not me, and its not what streetracing is to me.

Flame away...

So you're telling me you have rescue crews to make sure that if there is a wreck, that people can get taken immediately to the hospital, along with the propewr tow trucks and hazmat crews to clean up the wrecks? Lastly, do you have enough people in constant radio communications or physical barriers to prevent people, animals, or other debris clear from the track, and if something does come on the track, the person staging the cars will hold them until it's safe?

And lastly, is the outcome controlled by a computer or is is a purely subjective human interpretation (i.e. a human judge determining false starts, timing the cars down the track, and judging who really wins)?

If you can't guarentee all of these, then it isn't *really* that safe. And on my last point, it means that between two very evenly matched cars, it's possible that the one that loses may have really won.

Why I always say, take it to the track.

And no, i don't think it's too harsh. I think it should be harsher.

I think that if it is proven that the person is a "streetracer" and has been charged multiple times, this is viable.

I think that if it's someone else's car, then the person that owns the car is charged with enableing a streetrace, unless the car was stolen (no grey area here--stick this as black and white. Why? If i lent my kid my car, and he took it streertacing, i would say he stole it).

If the criteria is met for this, The car should be crushed, and the perp has to pay for it., Further, the value of the car will be reported as assets to the IRS, and will thus be taxed (thus, even a 3k beater, they'll still have to pay.

Lastly, if someone was killed as a result of the streetrace directly by the person, then they're crushed with the car.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, August 24, 2007 2:55 PM on j-body.org
i agree with rainmaker. the car crushing is complete bs, I was arrested because of a street race and i about cried just see my bumper drag the pavement as it went on the truck. it cost me alot of money, im still paying for that. i believe that was punishment enough. and besides i have never seen or even heard of a single street race ending bad. i used to have hundreds on tape. a well organized street race is just as safe as the track. the only wrecks ive ever seen were at the track
Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:35 AM on j-body.org
street racing is ridiculous. when i see people doing it, it makes me sick. but so does drinking and driving. PAX said it himself, a drunk driver who gets caught gets fines and high insurance, then if caught a second time, the punishment increases, and so on so forth. i didnt seem to hear there personal posessions being crushed.

its all stupid: drinking and driving, street racing... but the rule of law is that the law APPLIES TO EVERYONE EQUALLY

therefore you cannot say someone who risks another persons life while racing deserves a harsher punishment then someone who risks lives while driving drunk.

ESPECIALLY when driving drunk is much more common.
Sunday, August 26, 2007 5:59 PM on j-body.org
nick wrote:i agree with rainmaker. the car crushing is complete bs, I was arrested because of a street race and i about cried just see my bumper drag the pavement as it went on the truck. it cost me alot of money, im still paying for that. i believe that was punishment enough. and besides i have never seen or even heard of a single street race ending bad. i used to have hundreds on tape. a well organized street race is just as safe as the track. the only wrecks ive ever seen were at the track

Really?

No, there is no such thing as a "well organized street race." You cannot control traffic, you can't keep people away from the streets, and most importantly, when something goes wrong, you get to wait for emerg. services to come, because that first aid kit and APC fire extinguisher won't do a lick of good. Did you happen to have a Tech inspection before you had your race? Accurate timing gear? The only wrecks you ever saw were at a track, eh? How many spectators got hurt in that wreck? How many drivers got ticketed? How log did it take for someone who was trained to deal with an accident to respond to the accident?

Methinks the answer to my questions are: No, No, Not likely, none, none and not long at all.

Seriously, you're not talking with a wealth of experience here. Crushing a car might be a little harsh, but if it keeps people with your mentality off the road and on the track where you belong, count me in favour, whole-heartedly.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search