Smokers who quit smoking... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:43 AM on j-body.org
...are driving me &^$%&@$% nuts.

Look, I can respect the guy/girl who quits smoking for one or two months and then starts again. It's not an easy thing to do and I understand.

BUT

Those who quit for like... a DAY, and then start up again. I lose sympathy after your 50th half-day abstinence from cigarettes.

Look, as much as AA would like people to believe that no one has any control over their dependences... you sort of do. Willpower won't cure everything and eventually the will is tested and breaks, but it'll buy you a lot of time and at least get you started down the right road. Once you've started. then you need strict self-discipline and to build your life around a philosophy in order to change your life in the various ways you need to stop whatever it is you wanna stop. There's no other way around it. If you don't have control over yourself and live your life indulging whatever it is that your body wants you to do because you can't stand to be hungry or depressed or tired or needing for more than two freakin seconds, then you're screwed.

Also, what's worse is that every time you quit for like 4 hours and start up again, it's just that much easier to quit/start again the next time, because you're giving yourself a precedence. So, if you're not going to stick it out for more than a few hours, don't bother to quit anything. Just keep at it. It'll be better in the long run when and if you finally find the balls to quit.

Anyone else have someone in their lives who do this? Quit for a day, start up again. Quit for a week, start up again. Quit for 3 days, start up again. Quit for a few hours, start up again.

It's insanely annoying. It's like when fat people say they're on a diet in between meals; and then proceed to eat like pigs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:03 AM on j-body.org
I really don't understand the logic behind you being so damn upset about something like this. why do you care so much about something like this? did you want to post something like this just for posting sake? what's the argument?

people that drive the speed limit in the fast lane piss me off. people that install a huge aluminum wing and a fart can on an otherwise stock vehicle piss me off. people with roll calls on their cars for manufacturer's who don't even make parts for their cars piss me off. I don't see the need to make posts in the war forum about it.

but I'll give in...

my girlfriend, an ex-smoker, used to nag me constantly about quitting. I told her like I'm going to tell you... I have to quit on my own volition. I have to quit for me, and for no one else. having someone nag on me like her, or your post here that makes me feel like you're almost nagging on me, makes me want to smoke all that much more. a smoker, a drinker, a drug addict... has to realize that what they're doing affects not only them and their bodies, but those around them as well. however, they have to do it on their own. having someone around them constantly reminding them to stop is not going to help. nagging is one thing, being supportive is something completely different.


Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”


Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:15 AM on j-body.org
FReQ Z wrote:

I really don't understand the logic behind you being so damn upset about something like this. why do you care so much about something like this? did you want to post something like this just for posting sake? what's the argument?



+1





Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:31 AM on j-body.org
Uh... dude. I didn't say smokers annoyed me. I said quitters annoyed me. I never ever tell people to quit smoking and have never once encouraged someone to quit smoking. It doesn't affect me in the least if they smoke. I don't believe all that exageratted claptrap about second hand smoke anyway. Also, when they smoke they're happy and content. Who am I to get in the way of that? Hell, I know the joy of a good cigar, so why would I nag someone to stop doing something that brings them pleasure? It's rude and pointless.

My beef is to see someone quit... and then start up after barely a day. I could stop eating for longuer than that!
Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:35 AM on j-body.org
Dude, smoking and secondhand smoke has been proven over and over to increase the risk of cancer and other serious problems. While I understand your frustration with "weak willpower" and people who start after "quitting for a day", I wouldn't say you should be happy for them to continue smoking. If I knew that person, I'd still want them to try and quit. It's all mind over matter to overcome the nictine addiction.

There's a million reasons NOT to smoke, none in favor of it.




Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:43 AM on j-body.org
SPITfire wrote:

There's a million reasons NOT to smoke, none in favor of it.



maybe to you, but obviously not to others





Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:12 PM on j-body.org
SPITfire wrote:

Dude, smoking and secondhand smoke has been proven over and over to increase the risk of cancer and other serious problems. While I understand your frustration with "weak willpower" and people who start after "quitting for a day", I wouldn't say you should be happy for them to continue smoking. If I knew that person, I'd still want them to try and quit. It's all mind over matter to overcome the nictine addiction.

There's a million reasons NOT to smoke, none in favor of it.


Maybee... but thats not what this thread is about.... don't turn it into another damn 36 page argument about how smoking is bad for you.

As far as the quitting thing goes... I can honestly tell you from experience that it is 100 times easier to go 36 hours without eating than it is to go 6 hours without smoking (if your a smoker). It's called addiction man..... it's soo much harder than you could even imaging if you havn't been through it yourself.... I'de litterally rather be stabbed in the foot than have to go through complete nicoteen withdrawl.

Quitting smoking is actually very physically painfull...... its not all in your head...... about 90% of it is physical.... the people that keep quiting and starting over and over like your talking about are people thar would really like to quit, but they just can't handle doing it at the moment... and they start to lie to themselfs a little.... I've done it before too, and yes it gets a little annoying.





Re: Smokers who pretend to quit smoking?
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:45 PM on j-body.org
If someone told they were quitting and couldn't last more than 1-3 days, I probably wouldn't take them seriously next time.

I don't call someone who stops for three days a "quitter"....



Re: Smokers who pretend to quit smoking?
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:13 PM on j-body.org
I never take anyone seriously who is "smoking their last pack" or even "their last cigarette." Simply put, you aren't quitting unless YOU really want it. And if you REALLY wanted it, you're not gonna smoke that last cigarette. Period.




I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:28 PM on j-body.org
Weebel wrote:

SPITfire wrote:

Dude, smoking and secondhand smoke has been proven over and over to increase the risk of cancer and other serious problems. While I understand your frustration with "weak willpower" and people who start after "quitting for a day", I wouldn't say you should be happy for them to continue smoking. If I knew that person, I'd still want them to try and quit. It's all mind over matter to overcome the nictine addiction.

There's a million reasons NOT to smoke, none in favor of it.


Maybee... but thats not what this thread is about.... don't turn it into another damn 36 page argument about how smoking is bad for you.

As far as the quitting thing goes... I can honestly tell you from experience that it is 100 times easier to go 36 hours without eating than it is to go 6 hours without smoking (if your a smoker). It's called addiction man..... it's soo much harder than you could even imaging if you havn't been through it yourself.... I'de litterally rather be stabbed in the foot than have to go through complete nicoteen withdrawl.

Quitting smoking is actually very physically painfull...... its not all in your head...... about 90% of it is physical.... the people that keep quiting and starting over and over like your talking about are people thar would really like to quit, but they just can't handle doing it at the moment... and they start to lie to themselfs a little.... I've done it before too, and yes it gets a little annoying.


gotta disagree with you there, i quit cold turkey 9/04/07 and that whole it is so hard to go without a smoke for 6 hours is , i regularly went through the weekend without smoking. anytime i was around my kids, no smoking; other people at home, no smoking; out with my family, no smoking.

i mostly smoked to keep busy driving around all day for work and as a time out when dealing with morons, if others around me didn't smoke most of the time i did not smoke. just simple consideration.

finally i just got tired of spending the money on them, no issues and no reason to go back, 29 and i smoked all but a total of 18 months since i was 12-13ish, anywhere from 1/2 to 2 packs a day at different times.

it is 100% aboot your mental abilities, if you have no willpower and a weak mind you will perceive anything and everything to get that security back.

sorry, but that's it.

and i still support smokers rights the same as i did when i smoked, which was smoke anywhere but also be courteous to others.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip





Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:29 PM on j-body.org
Sometimes people seek tobacco and nicotine to deal with their emotional behavior problems.
I'm not a smoker, and I do not understand or have a clue what it feels to be addictive to cigarettes.

Literally
People try to quit everyday.
The environment and friends have a strong influence to keep people from quitting smoking cigarettes..

Lets think about. (what IF)
1. Your body is requesting nicotine
2. The environment where you are located is not none smoking
3. Your friends are also smoking around you.
4. Television advertising cigarettes or showing people smoke a cigarrette..

When you add those 4 elements to the equation, no wonder is not easy to quit smoking.
Plus,
Here were I live they wanted to increase the price of tobacco products to raise money for schools
WTF First they want you to quit but then they want you to smoke for a good cause.



Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:29 AM on j-body.org
I am guilty of bring one of these "quitters". I dont know man, its just plain hard. I have dabbled with booze(still do), never got addicted, dabbled with percs and oxy(havent touched them for over 3 years), never got addicted. But these damned cigarettes are really tough to quit.



Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:11 AM on j-body.org
I think the whole quit/start thing is because smokers are being pressured to quit when they really aren't ready. That's also why I never pressure or nag anyone. Sure it's probably healthier not to smoke, but in the grand scheme of things it's not THAT unhealthy. I think castrating live bears or defusing the Dick Cheney Terminatorbot is probably unhealthier. Besides, one of the major things that kills people is STRESS and nothing is more stressful that being nagged by your succubus wife and ungrateful children about "being healthy".

So leave smoker's alone people. LET THE NICE MAN SMOKE!!!!!
Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:23 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Maybee... but thats not what this thread is about.... don't turn it into another damn 36 page argument about how smoking is bad for you.

As far as the quitting thing goes... I can honestly tell you from experience that it is 100 times easier to go 36 hours without eating than it is to go 6 hours without smoking (if your a smoker). It's called addiction man..... it's soo much harder than you could even imaging if you havn't been through it yourself.... I'de litterally rather be stabbed in the foot than have to go through complete nicoteen withdrawl.

yes, I have no idea how it feels to be in that sort of addiction so I can't tell you if it's "mental", "physical" or both. And I won't go on a rant on how you wouldn't be in this problem if you didn't atart in the first place

But, laws these days are slowly forcing people to quit by making it harder and harder to smoke... i.e. ridiculous prices for packs and anti-smoking laws where you cannot smoke indoors anywhere. While this seems to screw established smokers, I sure wish this stuff would discourage people from STARTING in the first place. Too bad there isn't one easy way to give it up without regressing multiple times.



Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:45 PM on j-body.org
you know what i cant stand about smokers? other than the fact that too many of them think that smoking ANYwhere is acceptable (i.e. rude @!#$s who try to light up in my car or my house w/o even asking) what i really dont like are the cranky smokers. people who havent had a cigarette in X amount of time and decide since they cant get their fix at that exact moment that they need to try and make everyone around them as miserable as they are. cant get your nic fix right now? boo hoo. wake me when i am supposed to feel sorry for you.

another thing that pisses me off are smoke breaks. a regular, scheduled break that you choose to use smoking is fine and dandy. but ive worked with plenty of people who would get a smoke break an hour. thats bs. there is always a small group of smokers that go outside and smoke, talk, and relax while i am still inside busting my nuts WORKING for my money. "but its an addiction....i cant help it" bull sh!t again. if someone was an alcoholic they wouldnt get a break every hour to drink a damned beer. and what about people who have no addictions? thats 5-10 extra minutes per hour that they work more than the other @!#$s. 40 minutes up to one hour and 20 minutes over the course of one day.

and no this doesnt go for all smokers. im just going on a tangent and a rant. live with it.




Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:53 PM on j-body.org
you might be on to something with "beer breaks" though, time to go through the HR policies and see what kind of leeway there is





Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:31 PM on j-body.org
SPITfire wrote:

There's a million reasons NOT to smoke, none in favor of it.


1. smokers are less likely than nonsmokers to develop parkinson's disease.

your argument is moo.

it's like what a cow would think, moo--it's pointless.





Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Friday, October 26, 2007 4:04 PM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:

Weebel wrote:

SPITfire wrote:

Dude, smoking and secondhand smoke has been proven over and over to increase the risk of cancer and other serious problems. While I understand your frustration with "weak willpower" and people who start after "quitting for a day", I wouldn't say you should be happy for them to continue smoking. If I knew that person, I'd still want them to try and quit. It's all mind over matter to overcome the nictine addiction.

There's a million reasons NOT to smoke, none in favor of it.


Maybee... but thats not what this thread is about.... don't turn it into another damn 36 page argument about how smoking is bad for you.

As far as the quitting thing goes... I can honestly tell you from experience that it is 100 times easier to go 36 hours without eating than it is to go 6 hours without smoking (if your a smoker). It's called addiction man..... it's soo much harder than you could even imaging if you havn't been through it yourself.... I'de litterally rather be stabbed in the foot than have to go through complete nicoteen withdrawl.

Quitting smoking is actually very physically painfull...... its not all in your head...... about 90% of it is physical.... the people that keep quiting and starting over and over like your talking about are people thar would really like to quit, but they just can't handle doing it at the moment... and they start to lie to themselfs a little.... I've done it before too, and yes it gets a little annoying.


gotta disagree with you there, i quit cold turkey 9/04/07 and that whole it is so hard to go without a smoke for 6 hours is , i regularly went through the weekend without smoking. anytime i was around my kids, no smoking; other people at home, no smoking; out with my family, no smoking.

i mostly smoked to keep busy driving around all day for work and as a time out when dealing with morons, if others around me didn't smoke most of the time i did not smoke. just simple consideration.

finally i just got tired of spending the money on them, no issues and no reason to go back, 29 and i smoked all but a total of 18 months since i was 12-13ish, anywhere from 1/2 to 2 packs a day at different times.

it is 100% aboot your mental abilities, if you have no willpower and a weak mind you will perceive anything and everything to get that security back.

sorry, but that's it.

and i still support smokers rights the same as i did when i smoked, which was smoke anywhere but also be courteous to others.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip


Sorry for the huge ass quote

In response to that...

I'm only going from my personal experiances..... I was a chain smoker the first time I tried to quit... it all has to do with how addicted you are.... it sounds like you where way less addicted to cigarettes than I am... so yes it would probably be a lot easier for you to quit.

If someone is going to quit smoking.... they need to want to quit more than they wan't a cigarette.. it's that simple.... if your highly addicted to them... the withdrawl symptoms are going to make you wan't to smoke more than you wan't to quit at that moment... and thats when people start smoking again. Thats why a lot of "chain smokers" end up having to cut back before they actually quit.

As far as it ALL being in your head... it's not..... just ask anyone thats smokes 3 packs a day that tried stoping cold turkey... and they will tell you about all kinds of physical hell that they started to go through..

All that said.... some people have stronger tolerances and less will power than others... so in the end... it comes down to the individual person.





Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Friday, November 02, 2007 6:59 PM on j-body.org
(TABS) IF YOUR SO MAD ABOUT IT WHY DONT YOU JUST SAY YOU SMOKE AN GO ON A 10 MIN WALK. HAHAHA NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT ITS JUST THAT .......LIFE AINT FAIR.....HAHA O IM NOT YELLING ITHER ITS JUST CUZ IM AT WORK.


Thanx Charles
Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:48 AM on j-body.org
"Quiting smoking is the easiest thing in the world... I know, because I have done it a thousand times"

Haha figured the quote fit this topic



Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:42 AM on j-body.org
^^^ I thought the same thing..... If you quit something more than once... you didn't actually quit.... you just went awhile without doing it.... I guess someone that smokaes a pack a day quits smoking 20 times a day by that logic..







Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:17 AM on j-body.org
http://www.illwillpress.com/smok.html

Foamy FTW!

Also, Ozzy says that smoking is the hardest drug he has had to quit. You gotta believe it coming from a man who had done nearly everything on the planet.




Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Sunday, December 16, 2007 10:14 AM on j-body.org
wow, back from the dead, still smoke free FTW





Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Monday, December 17, 2007 1:37 AM on j-body.org
Smoking is the hardest thing to quit. Well, smoking cigarettes atleast. I'm one of those "quitters" that you talked about in the first post. It took me forever to finally kick the habit. It was so much harder than quitting drinking and even smoking pot. Course, I was never really addicted to pot or smoked it regularly. I only tried it a few times. Never really wanted to do it, but you know how peer pressure goes. I used to be weak-minded and give into that kinda crap. Now, I'm clean of it all and feeling better than ever.



98 Trans Am
6.0, L92 heads, LS3 intake, TSP 231/236 cam, and much more


Re: Smokers who quit smoking...
Monday, December 17, 2007 11:55 AM on j-body.org
I'm in the process of quitting. I'm not doing this "cold turkey" BS. I was up to nearly a pack a day smoking full flavored. At one point I was smoking non-filtered in there too. After a month or so I'm down to about 3 smokes a day and they're ultralights and can barely finish a full cigarette.

It takes time, patience, and willpower. I'm quitting because I want to, not because someone tells me to.

I work in a gas station and I know several of the on and off again smokers. A few regulars I know so well that I even told them that I won't sell cigarettes to them since they're trying to quit. It helps to have people rooting for you and not nagging.



http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search