So I Felt really Good About Myself Today.... - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: So I Felt really Good About Myself Today....
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:31 PM on j-body.org
A general name for a category? So we're in the War denomination arguing on a site about J-body denominations?

---

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:31 PM on j-body.org
the beauty (and the bane) of the english language is its flexibility. so while there may have been better choices of words to use, the fact remains that "denomination" was a perfectly acceptable substitution to employ. again, i am sure QBE did it unintentionally.

but since you chose to call him out on it i felt the need to support him because, as mentioned twice so far, i agree with the actions taken by him, even if not the reasons behind them which IMO are still slightly suspect.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:50 PM on j-body.org
I never said anything about his actions. I actually couldn't care less. He dealt with a rude customer. Whoopy.

I only care about the pure ignorance of this statement - "Seriously, every other denomination makes some sort of effort to learn english, and us having to cater to learning spanish and changing all of our books/instructions/signs to spanish and everything else makes me just so pissed off"

Like I've said a million times, find me a first-generation American who didn't learn english. The pressure to learn english is already there, no laws are needed to state the obvious.

Of course, QBE's credibility on this issue is low. Didn't he once post a I Hate Black People thread cause "they" were messing with his car?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:51 PM

---

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:27 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:I only care about the pure ignorance of this statement - "Seriously, every other denomination makes some sort of effort to learn english, and us having to cater to learning spanish and changing all of our books/instructions/signs to spanish and everything else makes me just so pissed off"

Like I've said a million times, find me a first-generation American who didn't learn english. The pressure to learn english is already there, no laws are needed to state the obvious.

there are plenty of first gen americans who don't learn english....and they are the reason that so many things are being written in spanish, or why the phone tree says "para espanol, marquel dos." it goes beyond just helping these people out....quite a few americans feel like they are being invaded culturally and socially by having another language rammed down their throats.

as inarticulately and ignorantly as QBE may have put it, the fact remains that he speaks for many, many people because it seems that the only problems in this regard are coming from a certain nationality or ethnicity, specifically spanish speaking mexicans who immigrate here. that certainly doesnt mean that ALL or even MOST of said people are a problem...just that its where the problem is originating.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:31 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:

Of course, QBE's credibility on this issue is low. Didn't he once post a I Hate Black People thread cause "they" were messing with his car?

No actually I didn't because black people never broke into my car. There were 4 black guys who put me in a hole and held guns to my head while they tore apart my car, I dont hate black people though. That's more of a car jacking. My fave teacher was black.

I don't hate any one race. I more or less get annoyed with the fact that they "generally speaking" expect us, to cater to them.

And Agustin I am not the politcally correct or whatever you wanna call it, kind of person who accepts everyone and forgives everyone. I am rough about a lot of things, and you have no idea what i went through when I grew up being a minority in my school district, having to hear nothing but spanish my entire way through middle school and highschool.

I was extremely polite with the way I handled the customer, until she got irrate. I have been given many what we call "champs checks" based on my excellent customer service

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:32 AM

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:36 AM on j-body.org
I hate to say this, but:

Tempest, meet teapot.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:37 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I hate to say this, but:

Tempest, meet teapot.

who is that directed to?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:41 PM on j-body.org
I'm not even sure what he means.

---

Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:45 PM on j-body.org
QBE (Aka Phil No More Boost) wrote:I don't hate any one race. I more or less get annoyed with the fact that they "generally speaking" expect us, to cater to them.

Recently immigrants have always been accused of not becoming American fast enough. The Germans, Italians, Russians, Chinese, Irish.. all of them. Even by their own race. I've gotten into a few tiffs with recent Mexican's calling me "pocho", which means I've become too American. But ultimately, how many people do you see walking around speaking their native tongue? And there were no laws to prod them to learn English.

QBE (Aka Phil No More Boost) wrote: I am rough about a lot of things, and you have no idea what i went through when I grew up being a minority in my school district, having to hear nothing but spanish my entire way through middle school and highschool.

I could make a damn good guess, as I live in an area where whites are the minority and my family lives in an area where Mexican-Americans and pure Mexicans are 70-80% of the population.

My question to you is, you spent all that time around Spanish and didn't pick it up? Didn't you take a language in high school? I know you're loathe to speak anything but English, but the reason so many businesses cater to spanish-speaking customers is because it means more money. Being bilingual would put more money in your pocket because there would be a wider variety of jobs available. ESPECIALLY in government jobs.

---

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:16 PM on j-body.org
in highschool and middle school I tended to tone it out. I can pretty much understand what they say but can't speak it

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:01 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:Wow.. "My country"? Ya right, your country and nobody elses.
"english is the language of my country".. Ummm, no, the United States has no official language.
I have no problem learning another language - in fact I'm trying to learn Japanese now(not too sucessfully - maybe I actually need to take an actual class lol). Being multilingual has it's advantages I'll agree. Now when/if I ever go to Japan, I have no intentions of uttering one word of English, despite the fact that they are actually taught English in schools. And despite the fact that they are raised multi-lingual, their official language is Japanese. So if I go there, I'm not going to expect anyone to speak English to accomodate me(despite the fact that they probably could). The people there speak Japanese, so will I.

The US doesn't have an official language, but maybe it should. The vast overwhelming majority of our population, nearly all of our population in fact, speak English. Most of those are really most confortable speaking English. Why does it make more sense to force the vast majority to learn Spanish, instead of making the vast minority learn English? Both options are equal except... you are choosing to impose on either the many or the few. Don't we call this place we live in a "democracy?" Because if we do, then I think maybe, just maybe, we should go ahead and adhere to the taste and/or wishes of that majority. The majority here want to speak English.

I think learning a new language is always a good idea. But it should be done for the right reasons. I am actively trying to learn one because I WANT TO LEARN IT. No one should be forced to learn another language if they don't want to. But if I don't want to learn Spanish - and I knowingly move to Spain - then I'm only making things harder on myself, and that would be no ones fault but my own. So no I shouldn't be forced to learn Spanish - so that I can better accomidate people who don't want to learn English.

I'm not saying that anyone should be FORCED to learn English either. But if you hope to do business or have dealing with the majority of Americans, you'd better hop to it!!

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:16 PM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:ignorance is the breeding ground of intolerance

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:21 PM on j-body.org
Bastardking3000 wrote:Why does it make more sense to force the vast majority to learn Spanish, instead of making the vast minority learn English? Both options are equal except... you are choosing to impose on either the many or the few. Don't we call this place we live in a "democracy?" Because if we do, then I think maybe, just maybe, we should go ahead and adhere to the taste and/or wishes of that majority. The majority here want to speak English.

this is exactly what i think. ive said the same thing in one or two other posts regarding this situation. you simply don't impose upon the majority for the sake of the minority (with certain obvious exceptions such as safety or civil/human rights issues.)

but i will try to leave it at that so we don't get too much off the original topic of what phil did

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:42 PM on j-body.org
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/tempest+in+a+teapot <--It was directed at you Phil, it means it's a small victory that doesn't really mean anything.

I was a little surprised that the woman asked why there wasn't any spanish speakers... but at that point I would have just asked if she wanted me to explain in English or if she just wanted to order the food.

But then again, I prefer people to realize they oughtta be pissed at me well after they've hung up the phone on me after they get what they wanted... Iron Fist of sarcasm in the Velvet Glove of propriety.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:47 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Iron Fist of sarcasm in the Velvet Glove of propriety.

First, please stop using < and >'s in your posts. It breaks the quoting system.

Second, I bet you're the kind of guy that thinks Dennis Miller is funny. Huh?

---

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:12 AM on j-body.org
Gam I have heard pot meet kettle, that's why i was confused. I know it does not mean anything but it's one of those things that just makes ya feel good

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:30 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Iron Fist of sarcasm in the Velvet Glove of propriety.

First, please stop using < and >'s in your posts. It breaks the quoting system.

Second, I bet you're the kind of guy that thinks Dennis Miller is funny. Huh?

First, no, I've found my calling... I want to make everyone WORK for it... I mean, backhanded insults are meant to have a delayed effect. BTW, your < & > quoted out just fine.

Second: I used to before he fell in with the GOP... It seems they ruin snide and cerebral careers quite alot these days.

Phil: Yeah, "Pot meet kettle" was just the beginning. And that's why I said it... It's not meant to be a shot at you at all.

Friday, November 16, 2007 3:24 PM on j-body.org
Try quoting the post that you made that starts with

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/tempest+in+a+teapot

---

Friday, November 16, 2007 5:51 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/tempest+in+a+teapot <--It was directed at you Phil, it means it's a small victory that doesn't really mean anything.

I was a little surprised that the woman asked why there wasn't any spanish speakers... but at that point I would have just asked if she wanted me to explain in English or if she just wanted to order the food.

But then again, I prefer people to realize they oughtta be pissed at me well after they've hung up the phone on me after they get what they wanted... Iron Fist of sarcasm in the Velvet Glove of propriety.

just copy and paste instead

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:16 PM on j-body.org
666 night rider (TGM) wrote:just copy and paste instead

That would be just fine if it weren't for the fact that some of GAM's posts are medium size essays.

---

Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:09 AM on j-body.org
wah

Saturday, November 17, 2007 5:43 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:Try quoting the post that you made that starts with

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/tempest+in+a+teapot
I saw what you were talking about, but yours with < > didn't mess it up, I don't know what the problem is with it... it might be <-- or something.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:06 PM on j-body.org
when a < or > is immediately followed by a character, the quote is ended. but if < or > has a space after it, it will continue to quote it.

< check it out >

<check it out>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:07 PM

Sunday, November 18, 2007 9:08 PM on j-body.org
The quote is ended because < immediately followed by a character becomes html code.. Which is the LANGUAGE you need to learn to write webpages..

Now I am mexican, but damnit it pisses me off when somebody walks up to me and starts goin off in spanish extremely fast and expects me to understand what the hell they're saying.. Then they wanna get mad.. I mean yes i understand that's their language but like it has been said already.. Don't go to spain expecting everyone to understand english..

I believe they have the right to do whatever they want, except get pissed when you aren't understood in an english speaking country.. It's a given regardless.. Italian's speak italian, the french speak french and the german's speak german..

TEX-A.S. JBoii
Monday, November 19, 2007 6:14 PM on j-body.org
I understand that, but I thought it would work because you're talking about BBCode and there would be a way to sort out illegal characters and combinations.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search