Bbbbbut, Islam is a tolerant religion!!! - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bbbbbut, Islam is a tolerant religion!!!
Friday, November 30, 2007 3:53 PM on j-body.org
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22039372/
AP Associated Press wrote:
Sudan protesters seek U.K. teacher's execution
Briton who was convicted of insulting Islam appeals for religious tolerance

updated 2:41 p.m. ET Nov. 30, 2007
KHARTOUM, Sudan - Thousands of Sudanese, many armed with clubs and knives, protested Friday outside the presidential palace in Khartoum, demanding the execution of a British teacher convicted of insulting Islam for allowing her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad."

In response to the demonstration, teacher Gillian Gibbons was moved from the women’s prison near Khartoum to a secret location for her safety, her lawyer said.

In Britain, Gibbons' son, John, told The Associated Press that her mother was "holding up well" and she made an appeal for tolerance.

"One of the things my mum said today was that 'I don't want any resentment towards Muslim people,"' John Gibbons said, relaying part of a telephone conversation with her

The protesters streamed out of mosques after Friday sermons, as pick-up trucks with loudspeakers blared messages against Gibbons, who was sentenced Thursday to 15 days in prison and deportation.

They massed in central Martyrs Square, outside the palace, for about an hour, while hundreds of riot police deployed nearby to keep control, though they did not attempt to disrupt the rally. "Shame, shame on the U.K.," protesters chanted.

They burned pictures of Gibbons and called for her execution, saying, "No tolerance: Execution," and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad."

Several hundred protesters, not openly carrying weapons, marched to Unity High School, where Gibbons worked, about 1.2 miles from the square. They stood chanting slogans outside the school, which is closed and under heavy security, then marched toward the nearby British Embassy. They were stopped by security forces two blocks away from the embassy.

The protest arose despite vows by Sudanese security officials the day before, during Gibbons' trial, that threatened demonstrations after Friday prayers would not take place. Some of the protesters carried green banners with the name of the Society for Support of the Prophet Muhammad, a previously unknown group.

Some of the protesters, carried clubs, knives and axes, but not automatic weapons, which some have carried at past government-condoned demonstrations, suggesting Friday's rally was not organized by the government. The protesters in the square dispersed in about an hour.

During Friday sermons, the Muslim cleric at Khartoum's main Martyrs Mosque denounced Gibbons, saying she intentionally insulted Islam but he did not call for protests.

"Imprisoning this lady does not satisfy the thirst of Muslims in Sudan. But we welcome imprisonment and expulsion," the cleric, Abdul-Jalil Nazeer al-Karouri, a well-known hard-liner, told worshippers.

'Arrogant woman'
"This is an arrogant woman who came to our country, cashing her salary in dollars, teaching our children hatred of our Prophet Muhammad," he said.

Hard-line clerics who hold considerable influence with Sudan's Islamic government, have sought to whip up public anger over the Gibbons' case, calling her actions part of a Western plot to damage Islam.

The conviction of Gibbons was seen as an attempt by the government to appease hard-liners, while trying to avert British anger by giving a relatively light sentence. Gibbons could have received up to 40 lashes, six months in prison and a fine if convicted on the heavier charge of inciting religious hatred.

Britain pursued diplomatic moves to free Gibbons. Prime Minister Gordon Brown spoke with a member of her family to convey his regret, his spokeswoman said.

"He set out his concern and the fact that we were doing all we could to secure her release," spokeswoman Emily Hands told reporters.
Class project leads to punishment
The case began with a classroom project on animals in September at the private school, which has 750 students from elementary to high school levels, most from wealthy Sudanese Muslim families.

Gibbons had one of her 7-year-old students bring in a teddy bear, then asked the class to name it and they chose the name Muhammad, a common name among Muslim men.

Each student then took the teddy bear home to write a diary entry about it, and the entries were compiled into a book with the bear's picture on the cover, titled "My Name is Muhammad," Boulos said.

But an office assistant at the school complained to the Ministry of Education that Gibbons had insulted the prophet by comparing him to an animal or toy.

Most Britons expressed shock at the verdict, alongside hope it would not raise tensions between Muslims and non-Muslims in Britain.

"One of the good things is the U.K. Muslims who've condemned the charge as completely out of proportion," said Paul Wishart, 37, a student in London.

Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, accused the Sudanese authorities of "gross overreaction."

"This case should have required only simple common sense to resolve. It is unfortunate that the Sudanese authorities were found wanting in this most basic of qualities," he said.

The Muslim Public Affairs Committee, a political advocacy group, said the prosecution was "abominable and defies common sense."

Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, spiritual leader of the world's 77 million Anglicans, said Gibbons' prosecution and conviction was "an absurdly disproportionate response to what is at worst a cultural faux pas."

Foreign Secretary David Miliband summoned the Sudanese ambassador late Thursday to express Britain's disappointment with the verdict. The Foreign Office said Britain would continue diplomatic efforts to achieve "a swift resolution" to the crisis.

Britain's response — applying diplomatic pressure while extolling ties with Sudan and affirming respect for Islam — had produced mixed results, British commentators concluded.

In an editorial, The Daily Telegraph said Miliband "has tiptoed around the case, avoiding a threat to cut aid and asserting that respect for Islam runs deep in Britain. Given that much of the government's financial support goes to the wretched refugees in Darfur and neighboring Chad, Mr. Miliband's caution is understandable."

Now, however, the newspaper said, Britain should recall its ambassador in Khartoum and impose sanctions on the Sudanese regime.

Too bad some of the followers are easily led around by their noses... Mountain, meet Molehill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 30, 2007 3:59 PM

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: Bbbbbut, Islam is a tolerant religion!!!
Saturday, December 01, 2007 1:13 PM on j-body.org
Wow, that is pretty much rediculous. Kinda makes you realize more what kind "religion" Islam is. Scary.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Saturday, December 01, 2007 4:50 PM on j-body.org
yeah, it would be nice if Islam was more tolerant like christianity

Saturday, December 01, 2007 4:51 PM on j-body.org
oh yeah, [/sarcasm]

Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:01 PM on j-body.org
all religions have extremists
and all extremists make the news

Sunday, December 02, 2007 7:58 PM on j-body.org
I think most of you missed the comments I posted at the end of the article.

Monday, December 03, 2007 7:13 AM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:yeah, it would be nice if Islam was more tolerant like christianity

Umm... Leviticus 20:15-16 is about bestiality... that's not quite the same as racemixing....

and I think that burning the cross isn't very Christian. At least, not as far as i can remember....umm..... Nope, definitely never burnt a cross...
Monday, December 03, 2007 7:23 AM on j-body.org
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/ap_on_re_af/sudan_british_teacher

Quote:

KHARTOUM, Sudan - A British teacher jailed for insulting Islam after allowing her students to name a teddy bear Muhammad was released Monday when Sudan's president pardoned her, a British Embassy spokesman said.

the kids voted on the name Muhammad. throw their asses in jail.

oh, and i find it funny how one of the teacher's colleagues ratted her out instead of trying to correct the problem, which caused her to go to jail.

Monday, December 03, 2007 7:47 AM on j-body.org
Then shouldn't the kids get executed as well since they named the bear?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Monday, December 03, 2007 8:01 AM on j-body.org
Cannon: She's been released after a UK diplomat gently reminded the president of sudan that they get about 1/3 of their foriegn assistance from the UK...

As for the protesters: They're not really going to get mired down in the details of the truth of the matter, they're pretty much like parents in the west in that they don't want to hold their kids responsible for their actions and talk to their kids about their beliefs and convictions. It's just easier to blame whitey/Canada.

Isn't it nice to know that nosey Nancies are in dictatorships as well? I find it rather comforting.

Monday, December 03, 2007 8:32 AM on j-body.org
Arnjolt wrote:Then shouldn't the kids get executed as well since they named the bear?

werd

Monday, December 03, 2007 2:55 PM on j-body.org
Willem wrote:
ToBoGgAn wrote:yeah, it would be nice if Islam was more tolerant like christianity

Umm... Leviticus 20:15-16 is about bestiality... that's not quite the same as racemixing....

and I think that burning the cross isn't very Christian. At least, not as far as i can remember....umm..... Nope, definitely never burnt a cross...

it was just a point thrown out to Jace, not to point fingers and assume that a religion is "scary" because of some idiots as the same can happen to something he loves as well.

besides everyone knows crosses don't burn well without babies tied to them

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:19 AM on j-body.org
All religions have their zealots and crazies. Even Bhuddism has it's share of terrorists. However, the specific problem with Islam isn't that there are nutjobs in the religion, but instead it's the sheer number of them. A lot of this is caused by the fact that it's a third world religion and most of it's adherents can't even read and are completely ignorant of anything not involving camels or sand. So they're easily whipped up in almost prehistoric hate frenzies. But the problem is also found with Islam in the West with well educated Muslims. You have a lot of hateful, humourless @!#$s flying the banner of Islam here.

Or let me put it to you another way. When I walk next to a Pentacostal church (easily the weirdest gang in Xtianity) and smile and wave at the people coming out, they almost always smile and wave back. When I walk next to a Synagogue and smile and wave, mostly I get smiles and waves back. But if I walk next to a Mosque and do that? One or two smiles and waves... maybe. Mostly I get angry glares.

Obviously this isn't a scientific poll, but you're getting my drift. Also, I know Muslims and some are cool guys. But every time you talk to them about religion there's a pause and click and they start RECITING what they're been told in church. Remember those Dutch Cartoons? Remember what the Muslims said about it? Play different people saying how "One should never offend the prophet or show him..." it's all EXACTLY THE SAME and said in the SAME WORDS.

Call me intolerant, but that's something I find disturbing.
Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:03 AM on j-body.org
Hey Gam, I'm sure you've read this little bit of horrific news. Doubt our American brothers have though.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/284823

And a funny picture about those Islamic religious nut-jobs

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:21 AM on j-body.org
I can't comment on that story.

And the pic is funny as hell...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:04 PM on j-body.org
i like how people defend their religion by pointing a different religions flaws.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:42 AM on j-body.org
I'm not defending any religion... Frankly if you need someone to tell you how to talk to God, you're doing it wrong.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:55 AM on j-body.org
If it is a religion, has a house of worship, and actively tries to convert members to its faith and/or thinks it's faith is better than all others, it's going to cause problems.

That is the bottom line.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:51 PM on j-body.org
wasnt directed at you gam, your kool

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:10 PM on j-body.org
I'm so sick and tired of religion
I have people knocking on my door to see what I believe and to tell me that I'm so wrong about what I believe and their book of mormon can make my life better. how do they know this things.
I'm so sick and tired of religions. where is God, I wish he would just come and put an end to this madness about religions.
Why can't they be like the U.S where you can pray to a cereal box and be okay with it.
this world is sick. when is it goingtostopandisnotgoingtogetanybettereitherblablablabla
I can name my cat GOD if I want! @!#$ like that pisses me off

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I want to explode!!!!

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:04 PM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:
Willem wrote:

it was just a point thrown out to Jace, not to point fingers and assume that a religion is "scary" because of some idiots as the same can happen to something he loves as well.

I agree that there are crazies in Christianity as well my friend. If you had asked, I would have agreed. But I believe we were talking about killing a teacher for a bunch of kids naming a teddy bear. Stay on topic.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Monday, January 14, 2008 4:36 PM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:oh yeah, [/sarcasm]

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:52 PM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:
Willem wrote:

Whoa was that a cheap shot at me?

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:10 PM on j-body.org
i don't think so

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:37 PM on j-body.org
Just wondered because I had recently made the comment that religion "scares" me.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search