Roman Catholics... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Roman Catholics...
Friday, February 15, 2008 11:32 AM on j-body.org
I have to say that I used to be hellishly naive about religion. I thought all Christians prayed to Saints, followed the Pope word, prayed in Latin, went to confession and didn't eat meat on Friday. I also thought that you always had to go to seminary to be a priest. Heck, when my mom was a kid she wasn't even allowed to READ the bible, which is kind a strict French Canadian Catholic thing, she still doesn't even though she goes to church often.

It's weird how you see the world as an extention of yourself sometimes without realizing it.

Any other Catholics surprised by other denomination's traditions, or other deniminations surprised by how Mediaval us Catholics sometimes are?

Re: Roman Catholics...
Friday, February 15, 2008 11:37 AM on j-body.org
no..religeon is silly.
Friday, February 15, 2008 11:58 AM on j-body.org
my mom and her side of the family was protestant. dad and his side were catholic. since they divorced when i was young, i never got to see those mixed together...they were always separate entities based on who i was staying with at the time. but the two sects are completely different. although i side more with the protestant side. i think most of the catholic stuff is kinda silly and i like to make fun of it with dads side of the family.

Friday, February 15, 2008 12:33 PM on j-body.org
I was raised catholic but abandoned it for non-denominational Christianity when I was about 18.

I just could never get an answer that satisfied me when it came to why there is a Pope, on down to many of the traditions. It just seems like it's all left over from the early days of Christianity when they had to mix it with Paganism for people to accept it. Most Christianity still has these old traditions, but its thick in catholicism.

I just really don't know. I'm not even sure why I joined this thread, don't really have anything to add . I'm fairly knowledgable about other religions, too.

---

Friday, February 15, 2008 3:50 PM on j-body.org
I always thought that denominations like Baptists or Evangelicals were a way too New Agey/Feel Good type of Christianity where God loves you unconditionally and he's your big pal in the sky. Like some celestial version of John Goodman or something. Catholicism, for it's part, says that we're filthy with sin from birth, physically covered in the blood of our mothers, spiritually with the blood of Christ's, and must grovel and suffer and atone for our sins forever and ever. It's not about love, but asking forgiveness from our maker for all the trespasses we've committed.

I like that idea. A little guilt would do a lot of people good. Too much impunity in this world.

That said, much of Catholicism is Medieval superstisious nonsense, but... hey... in for a penny in for a pound.
Friday, February 15, 2008 7:51 PM on j-body.org
An independent fundamental Baptist believes:

1. The Bible is God's word and is the final authority for all beliefs and practice.
2. Independent soul-liberty. Every person has the choice between accepting Christ and rejection.
3. Priesthood of the believer. (key diff with catholics) Believe every man has the ability to go straight to God with concerns prayer etc.
4. Two ordinances. Baptism (immersion in water after salvation) and The Lord's Supper.- remembering Christ's suffering on Calvary.
(Catholics believe in transsubstantiation- wafer and wine become the literal blood and flesh of Christ)
5. Autonomy of the local church. Each church is run by its own members, headed by its own pastor. Owes no allegiance to a higher ruling body, such as a convention or fellowship.
6. Separation of Church and State. Government cannot dictate beliefs of said church, nor run the church. (ie church of England)
7. Trinity. Belief in the triune God. Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure what sounds so New-Agey about these, unless you count #7, and then only because you don't understand it. And God does love unconditionally. Sure, He holds us accountable for our sins, but loves nonetheless. Also, most of the time when the Bible talks about God's love for man, it comes from the Greek word for love: Agape...and unconditional love. Other words for love are Eros: sensual love, and Phileao- brotherly love.

A Baptist would tell you that you can't grovel and work off your sins, but it is rather through acceptance of God's love and mercy for us.
"For by grace are you saved by faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast." Eph. 2:8,9

On a side note, I believe there will be a lot of so-called baptists in Hell. They talked the talk, but never truly repented of their sins and accepted Jesus as their Savior, trusting in Him alone for Heaven. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me."

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:03 AM on j-body.org
You think Catholics can't pray to god>?

WTF?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.523@111.30
Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:06 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:An independent fundamental Baptist believes:

1. The Bible is God's word and is the final authority for all beliefs and practice.
2. Independent soul-liberty. Every person has the choice between accepting Christ and rejection.
3. Priesthood of the believer. (key diff with catholics) Believe every man has the ability to go straight to God with concerns prayer etc.
4. Two ordinances. Baptism (immersion in water after salvation) and The Lord's Supper.- remembering Christ's suffering on Calvary.
(Catholics believe in transsubstantiation- wafer and wine become the literal blood and flesh of Christ)
5. Autonomy of the local church. Each church is run by its own members, headed by its own pastor. Owes no allegiance to a higher ruling body, such as a convention or fellowship.
6. Separation of Church and State. Government cannot dictate beliefs of said church, nor run the church. (ie church of England)

I'm not sure what sounds so New-Agey about these, unless you count #7, and then only because you don't understand it. And God does love unconditionally. Sure, He holds us accountable for our sins, but loves nonetheless. Also, most of the time when the Bible talks about God's love for man, it comes from the Greek word for love: Agape...and unconditional love. Other words for love are Eros: sensual love, and Phileao- brotherly love.

A Baptist would tell you that you can't grovel and work off your sins, but it is rather through acceptance of God's love and mercy for us.
"For by grace are you saved by faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast." Eph. 2:8,9

On a side note, I believe there will be a lot of so-called baptists in Hell. They talked the talk, but never truly repented of their sins and accepted Jesus as their Savior, trusting in Him alone for Heaven. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me."

You obviously know nothing about Catholicism.

And honestly there is soo much wrong w/ what you typed I don't even know where to start.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:22 AM on j-body.org
Sorry Saps, and correct me if I am wrong about #3 Catholics believe to receive forgiveness of sins, one must have a middle man (priest-confession) right? I Misspoke myself on that one. Of course Catholics can pray to God. I just meant the forgiveness of sins part.

On a side note...you copied my entire post and said there was so much wrong with it that you don't know where to begin. Well, its in 1-2-3 format, so why not start there. Keep in mind I said "Independent Fundamental Baptists".

Waitin to hear.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:06 PM on j-body.org
Ill get back to you. I didn't have the time at the moment and don't right now but I will get back to you.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:33 PM on j-body.org
I used the anagram, BAPTIST, but got it out of order.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:19 PM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:An independent fundamental Baptist believes:

Agreed

ScottaWhite wrote:
No arguments there

ScottaWhite wrote:

You changed it to confession which makes more sense. Here is a good explanation why catholics believe in penance.

ScottaWhite wrote:
(Catholics believe in transubstantiation- wafer and wine become the literal blood and flesh of Christ)

I think original sin is one of the bigger differences, but we believe in baptism. Catholic Baptism More on the Eucharist. I am not sure what Baptists believe about the Eucharist but a lot of the Protestant religions believe in it in one form or another.

ScottaWhite wrote:

See the answer to #1. I know certain Protestant religions have bishops as well.

ScottaWhite wrote:

Thats part of the Constitution. I don't know of any Christian religion that disagrees w/ this besides the Church of England. (Idk if that has reformed or not since the 1700s lol)

ScottaWhite wrote:

The holy Trinity

ScottaWhite wrote:I'm not sure what sounds so New-Agey about these, unless you count #7, and then only because you don't understand it. And God does love unconditionally. Sure, He holds us accountable for our sins, but loves nonetheless. Also, most of the time when the Bible talks about God's love for man, it comes from the Greek word for love: Agape...and unconditional love. Other words for love are Eros: sensual love, and Phileao- brotherly love.
The Holy Trinity is definitely not new age. No one said he doesn't love unconditionally. Also, the bible was written in Latin for hundreds of years so you always lose something in the English translation.

ScottaWhite wrote:A Baptist would tell you that you can't grovel and work off your sins, but it is rather through acceptance of God's love and mercy for us.
See 3

After re reading your post I guess I was more in the mind set that you were saying those were ALL things catholics didn't believe in. Not just Baptist believes. I apologize if I seemed a little hostile.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:20 PM on j-body.org
I will agree I cannot stomach Evangelicals. It seems like they are always out for the $$$ and nothing else.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:17 PM on j-body.org
A Baptist is not part of Protestantism. Protestants came out of the Catholic church. (Luther, Calvin, etc) These would be your Presbyterians, Lutherans, episcapals, etc. A Baptist would trace his church lineage directly to the disciples. We were also known as Anabaptists and even Waldenseans. And as I said, "Independent Baptist Church" We are quite different from a Southern Baptist. The SB's answer to a home office of sorts.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:16 AM on j-body.org
Miška was raised a catholic, than became more non-denominational.

I started the same and became a pagan derivative.

I think the biggest "sin" of a belief system is to follow an organization's belief system no matter how big or small without question.

Agustin: it's not just old-time traditions of Catholicism being practised so we wouldn't throw them to the lions--even more new catholic and other christian traditionscan be seen as almost pagan. Hell, in latin america (and i mean no disrespect by this), the worship of the Virgin Mary with shrines, etc. can almost be seen as Idol worship.

Still, I find it intresting that in the base roots of ALL denominations of ALL religions, there are a lot of similarities.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, February 18, 2008 12:10 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]Miška was raised a catholic, than became more non-denominational.

I started the same and became a pagan derivative.

I think the biggest "sin" of a belief system is to follow an organization's belief system no matter how big or small without question.

Agustin: it's not just old-time traditions of Catholicism being practised so we wouldn't throw them to the lions--even more new catholic and other christian traditionscan be seen as almost pagan. Hell, in latin america (and i mean no disrespect by this), the worship of the Virgin Mary with shrines, etc. can almost be seen as Idol worship.

Still, I find it intresting that in the base roots of ALL denominations of ALL religions, there are a lot of similarities.

It's kind of weird you bring this up. I have the completely opposite reaction. I love tradition and rules, that's why I've always loved Catholicism. Most protestant denonimations (including Baptists) strike me as "New Agey" because they have this "Do watcha want" attitude towards Christianity where people all worship in their unique way. 2000 years of divine guidance by God himself and a tireless perfection of the apostles vision for Christianity by the Vatican have created a religion that will never age or become mired in modern issue because it transcends all that.

If everyone starts doing their own "thing" then there is no thing. It becomes anarchy very quickly, just think of what would happen if you took away all the traffic laws and let people drive however they like. In the space of a week there'd be a million people dead and America would be in the second civil war. It's not pleasant sometimes, but it's rules that keeps things together, and the very strict Catholic ideals are what's kept it alive and going while a thousand other offshoots have all died off. In five hundred years Catholicism will still be around and it will still be backwards, but know what? You can count on it. It's always there, always the same. There's something to be said about the virtue of tradition.
Monday, February 18, 2008 2:44 PM on j-body.org
Paganism has been around much, much longer . Sorry, had to.

Anyhow, i don't quite agree with the anarchy or trafficy law analogy, since it's not like all religions have to share the same quanta of existance; after all, the only reason that there was any strife between paganism and Christianity in the first place was because whoever was ruling in the day saw the other religion as a threat to their seat of power. And, it's not like paganism in and of itself doesn't have certain, "flavors" if you will, that follow tradition and ceremony as hard as Catholicism or any Christianity form there is.

I could argue about tradition and how sometimes it's necessarry to change, but sometimes there is good things about it. But when it comes to personal belief systems, you see the universe how you see the universe--no one should ever be able to tell you that the way you see it is wrong on the base, fundamental level that religion encompasses. As such, if someone doesn't agree that a "traditional" method is the way to inner peace (or God, if you prefer that description), who's to tell them they're wrong?

Besides, i think it's safe to say that (going by christian mythos) Jesus is the only one who truly knows what God wants; who can say that anyone else connected to that faih can know for sure?

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Monday, February 18, 2008 4:02 PM on j-body.org
Knoxfire wrote:
If everyone starts doing their own "thing" then there is no thing. It becomes anarchy very quickly, just think of what would happen if you took away all the traffic laws and let people drive however they like. In the space of a week there'd be a million people dead and America would be in the second civil war. It's not pleasant sometimes, but it's rules that keeps things together, and the very strict Catholic ideals are what's kept it alive and going while a thousand other offshoots have all died off. In five hundred years Catholicism will still be around and it will still be backwards, but know what? You can count on it. It's always there, always the same. There's something to be said about the virtue of tradition.

most of the protestant denominations arent a "do your own thing" religion, but they do put more of an emphasis on substance of belief over ritualistic motions. thats why i prefer my mom's non-denominational Christianity over my dad's catholicism. it isnt the motions that you go through in church that is meant to save your soul....its whether or not you actually believe and how you apply those beliefs to your actions outside of the church.

catholics think of the Church as an institution, protestants think of the church as a building. i think the institutional part is what ruins a religion because, in the hands of men, things get skewed out of its original context.

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:48 PM on j-body.org
Catholics are so wrong. They believe that if you're the head of a catholic church then you're not allowed to touch a woman.
No wonder why they're child molesters.

Where can I find that on the bible?
if somebody tells me where to find it, I will take it all back

Catholic is not even on the bible because I went to bible.com and it said
There were no results matching this search.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:09 PM on j-body.org
and also, where in the bible says that I have to pray this?

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:20 PM on j-body.org
The no wife thing, I think, stems from something Paul said...something like....I would that you all be as I am.. (Many Bible Scholars think Paul was married at one time, but his wife later died. So, I think that is where the single priest thing comes from.

And Mary wasn't a perpetual virgin. The Bible says that Joseph knew her not, until she had brought forth her firstbord. It also mentions Jesus had brothers and sisters. (this is contrary to Catholic tradition), nevertheless, it is in the Bible.

Peter (alleged to be the first pope) had a mother in law (again in the Bble) This would mean he was married. Hmm.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:25 PM on j-body.org
I'm confused and I just want to make it simple .
so if paul was married then why can't they have a wife?
so...back to square 1 again

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:36 AM on j-body.org
I heard somewhere it has to do with the fact that somewhow the church would have to support the papal children, so it was a financial move before catholicism overran europe.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:41 AM on j-body.org
Robby002 wrote:Catholics are so wrong. They believe that if you're the head of a catholic church then you're not allowed to touch a woman.
No wonder why they're child molesters.

Where can I find that on the bible?
if somebody tells me where to find it, I will take it all back

Catholic is not even on the bible because I went to bible.com and it said
There were no results matching this search.

Was methodist in the bible? baptist? any name of a religion?
Info on Ceilbacy

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:04 AM on j-body.org
Catholics are totally right. See with no wives, all that priests have is their congregation. They can focus on their worship of God and on helping their flock. When a priest is married and has kids, they act as distractions from the divine path.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search