What is up with the MDA? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is up with the MDA?
Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:44 PM on j-body.org
What is going on here?

Every year for as long as I can remember, I've seen this stupid MDA telethon on tv. Every Stinkin YEAR! Millions every year donated....and no cure. Sure we get to see hulk hogan, and marie osmon, and many other washed up celebs ...but when are these jokers going to find the cure? Is there a cure? And if the cure is found, how many people at the MDA would suddenly be without jobs?

Can anyone find out how much the top execs at the MDA make per year? What about the entire yearly administrative costs of running that outfit?

And I'm sorry if you have a loved one with MD, it is nothing against them.. Just seems a bit shady, all that money, all those years, and no cure.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart

Re: What is up with the MDA?
Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:47 PM on j-body.org
Is it hard to come up with useless threads all the time?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:52 PM on j-body.org
Is it hard to refrain from posting in threads you feel useless? How's this for a "useful" topic? Solar power vs. Hydroelectirc: Which makes for a better world where everyone loves kittens and polar bears never drown? Would that sutcha jess fine Junior?

If you don't know what the MDA is, or don't care, then why post?

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:50 PM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:Is it hard to come up with useless threads all the time?

hes got a point. of all the things to rail against, you choose MDA? what, do you just not like jerry lewis?

if you want to talk about conspiracies and organizations skimming money off the top to pay execs, look into the cancer groups. they make 100s of times what MDA does, both from research and the drugs they use to fight it.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:51 PM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:What is going on here?

Every year for as long as I can remember, I've seen this stupid MDA telethon on tv. Every Stinkin YEAR! Millions every year donated....and no cure. Sure we get to see hulk hogan, and marie osmon, and many other washed up celebs ...but when are these jokers going to find the cure? Is there a cure? And if the cure is found, how many people at the MDA would suddenly be without jobs?

Can anyone find out how much the top execs at the MDA make per year? What about the entire yearly administrative costs of running that outfit?

And I'm sorry if you have a loved one with MD, it is nothing against them.. Just seems a bit shady, all that money, all those years, and no cure.

The ignorance is strong with this one.

Because cures are easy to fine. Just like the ones for cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, autism, aids, cerebral palsy plus hundreds of others.

While you're at it, why don't you ask why we can't build a fusion reactor. How much money and research has been spent on trying to bring this into fruition. Our energy problems would be solved forever with minimal radioactive waste to dispose of.

Think for a while....we're not smart enough. We don't know the answers. We're trying but haven't got there yet, someday we will, but it'll take more research and that takes more money.

How much have you donated? If the answer is none, STFU!!!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:00 PM on j-body.org
Total amount donated: $0.00 (that is unless you include the many green shamrocks I've bought over the years) So, yes, I guess that can be considered donations. AND I've been tested to see if I'm a match for a 12 yr old that needs a bone marrow transplant.

My intention was not to pooh pooh on the MDA as much as it was to make people wonder about where all these donations go and what they are spent on.

Remember the crap with the United Way several years ago? I recall the news reports that showed this wonderful charitable organization was using about 90% of all its donations to pay for.....administrative costs. It took a public outcry and government pressure to change that nonsense.

Same thing with the cancer institutes. Billions of dollars spent and what to show for it? If tomorrow, someone discovers the "cure", well....there go them billions of research dollars and billions of pharmaceutical profits right down the drain. Have we not found the cure yet because we aren't smart enough, or because its more profitable to research the disease and treat the symptoms then to cure it outright?

My 89 civic LX, got better gas mileage than most of the compact production cars today. But we are bombarded with "hybrid this and that, electric cars, hydrogen power blah blah blah.

If a 4banger from 1989 could get almost 40mph on the highway when new, then how in the world, are the cars still getting marginal improvements? Is it because we're not smart enough, or because too many companies stand to make more money by keeping economy artificially lower?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:15 PM on j-body.org
I would like to think that at least one person who had knowledge of a cure would have a conscious, stand up and publicize the existence of a cure. I don't think something like that could be kept under wraps for very long.

I'm sure there is waste and abuse (and general incompetence) in some of these organizations just like the ones taking money for the starving kids in Africa, but I don't think that the cures for these diseases are being withheld to increase profits. If a company were caught doing something like this they would be sued into nonexistence.
Monday, February 18, 2008 4:16 AM on j-body.org
i really doubt someone would hold back on a cure for cancer or mda or anyting like that. sure that means no more money. but to the company who makes it they would become a household name overnight and would hit the money bigtime. think about it. if your a pill company or research company every advertisement you did from then on could be. "hey buy our pills were the people that cured cancer." there isnt any marketing that would ever be able to top that. their stock and money would go thru the roof.

as for your 4banger scott. the car companies put out what the public wants. sure back then they were doing very fuel efficient cars but thats what the public demanded back then because of the gas shortage. then it seemed oil was coming out the butt again, gas went cheap so people started demanding bigger vehicles with bigger motors with more hp. even now that gas prices are back up high again people are still going out and buying hummers and excursions that get 9mpg. if the public keeps doing that the car companies dont have much need to go back to small efficent cars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, February 18, 2008 9:34 PM on j-body.org
I can't seem to remember a fuel shortage in 1989, but who am I to question?

Does anyone else think the FDA is just crooked enough to keep a cure under wraps? Remember, these people are part of the same government that cheat taxpayers and lie to us about all sorts of stuff. There isn't an honest governing agency in the entire world, that does't have some sort of kick back coming to them.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:05 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:I can't seem to remember a fuel shortage in 1989, but who am I to question?
The fuel shortage was years before. It takes a little while for the auto industries to change directions.

The auto industries are not there to reduce global emissions or save fuel. They are there to sell cars to you and me and like sndsgood said, they're going to produce what we ask for even if it's a few years after we ask for it.

ScottaWhite wrote:Does anyone else think the FDA is just crooked enough to keep a cure under wraps? Remember, these people are part of the same government that cheat taxpayers and lie to us about all sorts of stuff. There isn't an honest governing agency in the entire world, that does't have some sort of kick back coming to them.

In the entire world? Talk about painting with a huge brush.

How about this...There isn't a ScottaWhite in the whole world who isn't a conspiracy theorist

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:05 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:I can't seem to remember a fuel shortage in 1989, but who am I to question?

Does anyone else think the FDA is just crooked enough to keep a cure under wraps? Remember, these people are part of the same government that cheat taxpayers and lie to us about all sorts of stuff. There isn't an honest governing agency in the entire world, that does't have some sort of kick back coming to them.

as labotomi said. it takes years to change autolines. generally designers for cars work 4-5 years out. so if we had a fuel shortage today you wouldnt see fuel efficent cars till 2012 or so. look at the cars from the late 60's to early 70's they were 30' long 4 ton boats. the fuel shortage happened i believ in the late 70's. and by the mid 80's cars were getting smaller and smaller and more fuel efficent. then when that god bit we had the oil wars and in the mid 80's gas got super cheap. i can remember walking to school each day and watching gas prices drop. seeing it go from about a dollar a gallon down to about 15 cents a gallon. all the sudden gas was cheap so the manufacturers started making bigger cars again and mph started dropping back down. now that gas prices are up high again your starting to see the higher fuel efficent cars back on the market again. but people dont seem to care as much as they did back in the 70's so their still driving around in their suv's because theyve become conditioned to believe that they need a huge suv to drive to work.

and im sure there are a few crooked people in the fda just like there are crooked people in every place else, but it wouldn't stop a cure, if i had a cure for cancer and the fda held me up. i'd hop a plane to canada or any other foreign country and go there. once the news broke there was a cure for cancer it would be to late to stop it. and try and step back on the other side of the grassy knowl, most of what happens in goverment agencies isnt because people are corrupt. most of it is because so many people have gone in and changed the system that it has become inpossible to get anything done if you have to follow procedure. its kinda like imagine a game that has 10 rules to play and someone say's its a bit difficult. well instead of changing it so there is only 5 or 6 rules. the goverment tends to add rules. so now that 10 rule game has 20 rules. you know, to make it easier to understand. then a new guy comes in and hears its to difficult so instead of starting over he just adds rules to it. and next thing you know its so bogged down and impossible to play. then along comes a new guy and says "hey. we need to just start over from scratch". and although allot of people agree. most chicken out and feel it will cause to much trouble to redo it since they all have been playing the game all their life. so it just continues to get worse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:05 PM on j-body.org
http://www.mdausa.org/telethon/pledge.html <-- what mda pledges buy.

and since you're evidently Google defficient, I did the whole 5 seconds of work getting this:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4134

Under leadership:
Name: Robert Ross
Title: President, CEO
Compensation: $365,000
% of Expenses: 0.20%

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:22 AM on j-body.org
GAM strikes again!

does this man know everything? yes, im pretty sure he does!

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:19 PM on j-body.org
Gotta love that 2 star rating (out of 5) for efficiency in how they handle the donations. And the CEO only makes over 300k, what a saint. Yes, yes, he could make more in the private sector.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:49 AM on j-body.org
Ah ah ah... he's one of your precious top-income earners there Scott... he's got a spot open for you to start humping away.

First, the rating system formula on that particular site is not given as public (at least I didn't see it), so it could be rated by how that person was feeling that day or flawed methodology.

Second, you're not even doing the leg work to support your own position, why does your uninformed opinion matter so much anyhow? You didn't even bother to go to the main site in the first place... If you can't defend your point with evidence, don't bother making it because it's not a point, it's an opinion.

Tabs: I don't know everything, but Google = worth the 2 mins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:01 AM

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:09 AM on j-body.org
So, you post the link to prove a point....then when the guy who asks for the link goes there....comments on it....you get pissy and call the findings on THAT site, "as you see it", flawed methodology. What gives Nancy?

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:16 AM on j-body.org
gam is merely point out that you make a post somewhat saying they are a scam without doing any research. would be like me coming on here and saying your a white boy from brooklyn without even knowing you. im basically just guessing as you are just guessing that because their isn't a cure yet then they must be just taking the money. hell there isn't a cure for the common cold. as far as how much the ceo is making going thru several diffrent orginations on that site, most ceo's were making 200,000+ besides the smaller foundations that were only pulling in a few million a year. sorry but i think most ceo's should be making big bucks, they work their butts off to get to the top and deserve to make the most money in the company. i wouldnt expect the owner of my company to be making the same as me.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:35 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:So, you post the link to prove a point....then when the guy who asks for the link goes there....comments on it....you get pissy and call the findings on THAT site, "as you see it", flawed methodology. What gives Nancy?

First things first, your original post is alluding that the MDA is a scam, and that the money isn't going to worthwhile sources... You didn't even bother to do a little research, seriously, I pulled those 2 links within 2 minutes and within 5 minutes I had enough information to shoot down every post of yours in this thread.

Scientia potentia est. Learn it, know it, love it.

Second, I posted the readup link from work, and I couldn't read any deeper links because of Java (which is why I had said "at least I didn't see it", btw, if you're going to quote me on something at least use the right words).

Finally: I've told you before Scott, either use a person's handle, or their name. Unless you want them to return you the favour. You want to know why you have a lot of people on your ass here? You post like you can't be told anything, you're making it sound like you're an absolute authority on anything, and yet you never once have either backed up your postulate with a shred of evidence (specifically, here, the absurd gay marriage thread, the absurd Aetheism thread, etc ad nauseum).. I will say that you occasionally post a cogent thought or a salient point, but those are few and far between.

Look, think and research before you post, all I'm trying to get at here.

If you don't like what's being said, you should likely cease asking questions here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:00 PM

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:51 PM on j-body.org
This is the war forum. If you don't like my "ridiculous" posts, and you seem to think they all are, then why do you read them? Why do you post your replies in them...and sometimes in Latin? You can't be worried that someone might agree with me, and you can't be delusional enough to think you will influence me one way or the other....so why? I am the head that falls out of the car after a car wreck and you just can't help but stop and look...can you. I don't mind actually. And finally, I'll keep refraining from using you handle if I choose to do so. And I do.

A rant does not have to be researched, analyzed and probed from every angle. Sometimes its just a rant. Had someone just said "Hey look, here's a link, and here's why your assumption is incorrect" that approach has a better chance of convincing me than some guy who takes it upon himself to click on every post I make, just hoping against all hope there is a head rolling out the door....and then posting in LATIN!!! My god man, who really are you trying to impress? "Salient" ? Why not just say "noteworthy" so the rest of planet earth can understand you? Kind of reminds me of a certain comedian's short-lived football commentary career. He was smart, funny, but just to wrapped up in his own greatness to appeal to many.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:34 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:This is the war forum. If you don't like my "ridiculous" posts, and you seem to think they all are, then why do you read them? Why do you post your replies in them...and sometimes in Latin? You can't be worried that someone might agree with me, and you can't be delusional enough to think you will influence me one way or the other....so why? I am the head that falls out of the car after a car wreck and you just can't help but stop and look...can you. I don't mind actually. And finally, I'll keep refraining from using you handle if I choose to do so. And I do.

I really didn't need the idea of the War Forum explained to me Scott, I've been here a wee bit long than yourself.

I don't care if someone agrees with you, as long as they have an information basis with which to construct that agreement. Just because they may, you haven't got that information basis, it's pretty clear. You're not the head that falls out from a car wreck, you're bile and sputum out of the ass of a diarrhoea sufferer: you could serve another purpose, but you missed the right tract for some reason.

And you don't have the common courtesy to use either my handle or name, turn about is fair play.

Quote:

A rant does not have to be researched, analyzed and probed from every angle. Sometimes its just a rant.
Au contraire! If you're going to rant and have it mean something or even provoke thought, you want it to be informed, salient and to the point. Otherwise you're not ranting, you're WHINING.

Rants, commentary, op-ed articles, they may have a legitimate complaint, but the difference between them and your writings are this: they brooch their complaints in an orderly fashion and make it pretty clear that they've at least put a bit of thought and research into the matter to clearly articulate what their problem is. You on the other hand have pretty clearly not. Shooting from the hip isn't a good idea unless you really don't care about what you're doing: If you want to say something, or even ask a question, read what you're saying first, think about how your audience (ie, myself or anyone else that happens to read your post) will see it, and edit from there. Yes, it's going to take a few extra seconds of your time... But then again, this is the War Forum.

Quote:

Had someone just said "Hey look, here's a link, and here's why your assumption is incorrect" that approach has a better chance of convincing me than some guy who takes it upon himself to click on every post I make, just hoping against all hope there is a head rolling out the door....and then posting in LATIN!!!
If your original post and reply tone had been anything of the sort to dictate such a response, then by all means I would have used that. You just don't get it the first, second, fifth or 10th time it's dropped in your lap... You're patently wrong many more times than you're right, and you're an agitator/shit-disturber. Isn't there a passage in the Bible that says something about "ye shall reap what ye sow"? BTW, the little latin I posted translates out Knowledge is Power, and if you even popped open Babelfish, you've done more to answer my one post than you did in at least 10 other posts, you're learning now aren't you?

Quote:

My god man, who really are you trying to impress?
No one. The difference is I'm addressing your point, you're trying to win points (and having a bad go at it).

Quote:

"Salient" ? Why not just say "noteworthy" so the rest of planet earth can understand you?
I'll bet you had to use a Thesaurus to figure that one out, eh?

If you don't like the way I post, or the adjectives I use, you're either really inadequately prepared to discuss or argue a point, or you're not getting the drift of my posts. I'll be certain to dumb-down my responses in the future for you, because most of the people that read my responses catch on pretty quick that I'm not your average bear.

Quote:

Kind of reminds me of a certain comedian's short-lived football commentary career. He was smart, funny, but just to wrapped up in his own greatness to appeal to many.

Why didn't you just use said comedians name (ie. Dennis Miller). He wasn't a good football commentator, so what? He's a good comic, a great political commentator, and if most people don't follow his lines of thought, then PT Barnum was really correct.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:41 AM on j-body.org
ScottA$$Wipe thanks for the intelligent posts, haven't laughed that much in a while. Whats next you gonna rip on the Pope or the best president in the history of the USA George W Bush(sarcasm if you couldn't tell ) or how about Jesus.

Friday, February 29, 2008 8:22 AM on j-body.org
Spike J wrote:ScottA$$Wipe thanks for the intelligent posts, haven't laughed that much in a while. Whats next you gonna rip on the Pope or the best president in the history of the USA George W Bush(sarcasm if you couldn't tell ) or how about Jesus.

QFT x 9876476597613487650987

I think his next thread should be titled "Why is ScottaWhite the biggest toolbag on JBO"

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search