Self-defense: What do you use? - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Self-defense: What do you use?
Friday, March 28, 2008 7:25 PM on j-body.org
hoffa

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 10:00 PM on j-body.org
Last time I needed to use self defense, well, I don't remember it...I blacked out from adrenaline/rage and when I came to I was standing outside and the kid was on his way to urgent care. I guess I stopped hitting him after he stopped trying to get up (probably a good thing), and my buddies were hauling me off his ass. Now, I'm only 5'9" and weighed 190lbs at the time, and it took two 6'+ guys to haul me off of him; they actually had a few bruises from me too. Supposedly he dropped out of college and moved back home, never saw him again so I'd say it was true. Again, I don't remember a damn bit of it, so I think I'm good in the department of self defense, unless they have a gun...then I'm screwed.
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 4:04 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

unless they have a gun...then I'm screwed.

Or go decent knife...

Sadly the only reason you need to carry a weapon is because other people do to... but thats enough to justify doing it for me.

Although.... imagine this... 6 unarmed guys (all bigger than you) surround you in a dark alley somewhere and it is thier intent to harm you. You don't stand a chance without a weapon... even if they don't have any. Although the second you pull out a gun.... they are going to haul ass away from you as fast as humanly possible. Chances are... you wouldn't even get a chance to shoot one of them. And if they don't run.... well you still have a gun and can use it if needed. Thats what a personal protection weapon if for..... when the threat against you is higher than any defence you can put up.

Personally... I'm not taking any chances with my life....

it's the condom rule:

Ide rather have one and not need it.... than need one and not have it.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:40 AM on j-body.org
I have police grade mace in my purse

Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:23 PM on j-body.org
Taurus PT 24/7 .40 cal.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
Sunday, April 20, 2008 3:39 PM on j-body.org
I always have a knife, back pocket next to my wallet. Hopefully getting my concealed permit during the summer, and hope to have an EAA Witness Polymer frame in 10mm. Around the house I wont say but I love the "Castle Doctrine" (http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/97/003/0015.htm) we have here.

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:35 PM on j-body.org
just got a 14 week old husky/akita/lab puppy, so one day ,

I always carry a knife

have baseball bat(mainly for the GF when she is home alone)
.22 pistol within arms reach while sleeping(2 mags)
20g shotgun with slugs

thinking about getting a CCW and picking up a Smith and Wesson MP40 for when I'm out of the house

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 9:46 AM on j-body.org
In Car: 8" gutting knife in glove box (fun when there are cops and i forget to tell them it is there)
old school thick aluminum baseball bat in trunk

Home: 2 barduches (giant turkish knives over a foot long)
2 full tang katanas
1 Gaelic Greatsword

Depending on where i go, the gutting knife comes with me.

I personally feel that brandishing a blade biger than the other guys head is definitely a good deterrent.

I'll eventually take the time to put something here. I swear.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:20 AM on j-body.org
easton 32inch aluminum bat

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:27 AM on j-body.org
^^Roddy: Drive some long spikes through the head of it and then it's a REAL self-defense weapon.

I have plenty of blades that can be dangerous, so we all know my choice. Personally, i want to learn a weapon that is so unweildy that most people would be like, "WTF!?!?!?!" like a 9-dragon trident, Kusarigama, wolf's tooth cudgel (a nailbat on steroids), an of course, a preserved, severed arm.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:47 AM on j-body.org
i was actually thinkin of this the other day no that im married and my wife is living in the apartment til we get a house... but i dont have much of anything weapon wise. knives in the kitchen.... but thats all i can think of. when we get a house we'll look into getting something more. she's pretty weird (always worries) about something happening but i dont know if she'd like the idea of having a gun in the house or using one. but that'll be something i'll talk to her about when we get a house.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:37 PM on j-body.org
Godspeed wrote:but i dont know if she'd like the idea of having a gun in the house or using one. but that'll be something i'll talk to her about when we get a house.

she's not supposed to have a choice

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:54 PM on j-body.org
1 5/8 wrench. but only for more than one person. I'm 6'7" 340. i play football for Iowa Wesleyan College. if its only one guy i can hold my own.
Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:15 PM on j-body.org
AWD Benzo (Joey) wrote:
Godspeed wrote:but i dont know if she'd like the idea of having a gun in the house or using one. but that'll be something i'll talk to her about when we get a house.

she's not supposed to have a choice

Ha ha h OMG.....

Ya.... the first time my Ex stayed at my place she was pissed..... we where laying in bed together.... she rolled over and bumped my pillow and heard something tap the wall (my mattress is on the floor)..... she asked me what the hell it was.... and I reached down and pulled out a fully loaded and chambered 9MM semi automatic handgun that didn't have the safety on.... she gave me a really pissy look....and I didn't make it better when I just looked at her and said "WHAT?.... It's not like it's going to go off."

She Also didn't like the answer I gave her when she asked why it was there...... I told her "just in case I wake up in the middle of the night and have to shoot somebody"

I was being a smart ass.... but if you really think about it.... it was truthful.

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:19 PM on j-body.org
^^^^^

GOLDEN!!!!

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:08 AM on j-body.org
Oh it is!

"its not like its going to go off"

I love you for saying that!

i have three pistols, a Beretta 92FS, a Springfield 1911, and a CZ85.

however i would not use anything smaller then .40.

I really want a 1911 Officers compact.

Chrsi

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:40 PM on j-body.org
My weapon of choice in my home or when i'm on foot: myself. my black-belt training is all i've ever needed and furthermore i doubled as a hand-to hand in the military. I hate guns and most knives. when i'm in my car i keep a tire-iron under the seat for those trips to chicago and those pesky gangster wannabees who don't fight worth a $hit anyway. so nope no guns here only a 30-30 hunting rifle which hasn't been loaded for 3 years now

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:21 PM on j-body.org
beretta 9mm , i use the vertec model at home because it incorporates a rail for a light. shotgun is the ultimate defense it will stop a mack truck but in close quarters like a house its a bad idea. it can easily be grabbed away ect.
Saturday, June 28, 2008 9:23 PM on j-body.org
Tim Chavez wrote:1 5/8 wrench. but only for more than one person. I'm 6'7" 340. i play football for Iowa Wesleyan College. if its only one guy i can hold my own.

better hope the other guy dosent have a colt .45,

because then the 340 pound male will be taken out by a 230 Grain piece of lead.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:11 AM on j-body.org
^^^^ QFT

I don't care how big of a badass you think you are...... if you get stabbed in the heart or shot in the head....... your dead.

I can qauruntee you that some one can shoot you in less than 1/5th the time it takes you to even get close enough to grab ahold of them.....

how big or tough you are doesn't count for crap if they have a gun...... at least if you have one..... you have the small chance of getting a shot off first..... and even then... it's slim

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:08 AM on j-body.org
^^^Except if the idiot tries to shoot you within arm's reach. A gun is not the end-all-beat-all of weapons. it is a ranged weapon with a very concentrated "killing edge". it's useless as a weapon if you can't bring it's killing edge to bear. From a distance, that's mighty easy. Within arm's reach, it's a lot harder to do.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 6:11 PM on j-body.org
strohlly7 wrote:I hate guns and most knives./quote]

Why? I hate criminals. I use a shotgun for home defense and a .357 snub for daily carry. I want to get a compact .45 semi-auto soon, I prefer the capacity and reload speed over my current gun. Like others have said, a determined person at a close distance can accomplish quite a bit without a gun. Ever hear of the 21 foot rule?

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 6:18 PM on j-body.org
LOL @ everyone that thinks their size is going to matter. Size means nothing if your opponent knows how to fight and you don't. Being 7-feet tall doesn't mean "instant win". There are guys out there that are 5-feet nothing and a buck twenty soaking wet that could go through Shaq like he was in a coma. That's not to say that all big guys are going to get it handed to them, but the majority tend to be way too over confident. Unless you know how to throw around your weight, it's going to hold you back. Benching 350lbs. and managing your own 350lbs. are two totally different things.

Also, a point on calibers. I've noticed a few of you have said that you wouldn't trust anything less than a .40. I'd rather place 2-3 self-defense load 9mm rounds into the center mass of the bad guy than to miss with all of the .40 rounds. For that matter, I'd rather hit the guy with 6-8 .22LR rounds in the chest than one .40 in the arm or shoulder. The fact is that a lot of people that own handguns don't know how to use them efficiently or effectively. Many people can't handle the recoil of a .357SIG, .40, .45, and the other larger rounds. That's one of the first things they teach you in a self-defense class. If you're buying a gun for the number, then you're buying it for the wrong reason. Make sure you know how to properly shoot it before you rely on it. Otherwise, you'd be better off trying to pistol whip your opponent to minimize the risk of hurting an innocent bystander. The majority of the time, you're much better with a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun in your home.

Monday, July 07, 2008 3:51 PM on j-body.org
i carry a rpg slung on my shoulder

Monday, July 07, 2008 4:00 PM on j-body.org
http://www.filemojo.com/021121052133897/weapons.ppt

These men are pretty creative.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search