does anyone remember when EMO meant.... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
does anyone remember when EMO meant....
Saturday, March 08, 2008 9:46 AM on j-body.org
.....that you listened to weezer, sunny day real estate, fugazi, or one of those other, gentler, type punk bands? (and the term "punk" is used lightly, as they were an offshoot of hardcore punk at one time) "emo" wasnt a lifestyle trend, it was a type of music.

that was back in the mid 90s and i suppose i am showing my age by saying this, but damn they were good. of course i dont think anyone ever wanted to slit their wrists while listening to weezer (unless they just werent a fan ) but the kids didnt go around talking about how terrible life was and how they wanted to kill themselves and dressing like girls and all that @!#$.

what happened? how did the concept of "emo" get twisted so much into its current state?

Re: does anyone remember when EMO meant....
Saturday, March 08, 2008 10:07 AM on j-body.org
I think modern emo is what happens when you take old emo, the bad parts of the stereotype of "goths" (tighter cloths, endogenous girl/guys, excessive makeup) and then you throw hot topic into the whole mix mixed with a little bit of widespread depression, the death of punk, a bored and numb youth with nowhere to go and nothing to do, a few tablespoons of homosexuality, and then an unhealthy pinch of adrenaline pain junkies and there you go!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Gerkn

Monday, March 10, 2008 7:43 AM on j-body.org
dont worry ben, it still means that to alot of people, just not enough

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:08 AM on j-body.org
My name is Jonas.
I'm carrying the wheel

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:14 AM on j-body.org
Since when was Goth Androgenous?

Besdies, IMHO Weezer always sucked.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, March 10, 2008 4:55 PM on j-body.org
Piss up a rope

(j/k, a little irony)

There's too much blood in my caffeine stream.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:13 AM on j-body.org
Fugazi.. EMO?!?!?! C'mon, Fugazi stopped recording before anyuone even dreamed up the term..

Next you'll be saying that the Dead Kennedies or Misfits are EMO.. HA!

EMO is just another meaningless label. DOn't worry about labels, worry about yourself and how you treat others, listen to what you like.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:18 AM on j-body.org
(tabs) wrote:....does anyone remember when EMO meant....

No. Anyone who dressed in all black and put fishnets on their arms was pretty much ignored by me. I have no idea what there life philosophy was or is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:16 PM

---

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:10 PM on j-body.org
[quote=AGuSTiN
No. Anyone who dressed in all black and put fishnets on their arms was pretty much ignored by me. I have no idea what there life philosophy was or is.
see...this is what im saying. emo wasnt meant to be black clothes with fishnets and all that jazz. it seems the current form of emo has taken most of the negative aspects of the goth and true emo cultures and put them together to form the current slough of black clad, androgynous, wrist cutters that we have today. back in the day, both the goth and emo subsets were a far cry from what theyve morphed into today.

Hahahaha wrote:Fugazi.. EMO?!?!?! C'mon, Fugazi stopped recording before anyuone even dreamed up the term..

Next you'll be saying that the Dead Kennedies or Misfits are EMO.. HA!

EMO is just another meaningless label. DOn't worry about labels, worry about yourself and how you treat others, listen to what you like.

PAX

yes i am most definitely saying that fugazi is and was emo. again, youre using the wrong definition of what emo is, or was anyway. emo in its true form was an offshoot of hardcore punk.
here is an interesting read if you care to check it out.

emo used to mean something because it was a self applied label....and now its simply a marketing term used to sell albums and other random @!#$.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:16 AM on j-body.org
Goth predates Emo by at least 1000 years.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:48 AM on j-body.org
i remember when i just listened to groups of bands i liked and didnt try to break down and classify music into tiny boxes. i mean to someone who likes brittny spears they think good charlotte is punk. to people that listened to the sex pistols. good charlotte would be pop. to me weezer wasnt emo. weezer was weezer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:02 PM on j-body.org
To me Weezer was a @!#$ty band that had a video based on a @!#$ty TV show. But then again, the early to mid 90's was kinda a light period when it came to bands...except for AiC.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:16 PM on j-body.org
All music is emo.

Friday, March 14, 2008 4:55 AM on j-body.org
There was tons of good stuff in the early to mid 90s.. That's when Ministry's sales were at there peek, as an example.. Yes the airwaves were full of crap, but the good stuff was available, you just had to dig a bit.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, March 14, 2008 5:13 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]Since when was Goth Androgenous?

One of the original ideas of being true Goth was beauty weather you where male or female. The best Goth on the dance floor was the one that you couldn't tell whether it was male or female, it was just beautiful (not in a sexy way). Thats where Goth and Punk meet, both are about the cultures as much as the music. However, Goth is very very dead (no pun intended), as is real Punk as far as I know. Even when Goth was alive people didn't understand what real Goth was, its not angry kids in hot topic pants that listen to new skinny puppy, that was a whole new thing.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Gerkn

Friday, March 14, 2008 7:10 AM on j-body.org
So you don't understand Keeper's 1000 year reference.. I thought not.

Goth, or Gothic, is a reference to the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths. A divided kingdom with interesting archetecture and excellent armour. Their warriors were feirce and their influence great. For such a small group they made big waves. Read up on them, you might learn something and you might actually enjoy their story.

They would be pretty offended by being called androgenous and they'd likely kill you for suggesting it.

PAX

- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, March 14, 2008 3:48 PM on j-body.org
"Goth" as a form of music has had a really twisted birth and it's a lonnnnnnnnnng explanation so I'm going to try to keep this short and if I miss a few points or am vague about some things, sorry.

Anyway, to talk about Goth, you gotta talk about Punk... sort of.

You see, Punk music started out at the very very very beginning (1974-76) as the soundtrack to dissafected Glam kids. Remember David Bowie? Ziggy Stardust? Take any Glam clothes from the 70's, darken them up a little bit and notice how much they look like early punk clothes. That's not a coincidence. The first punk bands, more or less, were The Stooges and The New York Dolls. Both bands were kind of "supposed' to be glam (Well, The Stooges were supposed to be a blues Doors-like outfit, but that's another story and nobody wants to hear this crap) but were too raucous to really fit in with "Mott the Hoople" or "Elton John". Bands that came after them like The Sex Pistols, Siouxie and The Banshees, The Slits or The Damned or Bauhaus would have been glam bands (complete with big ass stage shows) except that they really couldn't play all that well, so they kind of trashed through sets and pretended they meant to do that and called it punk.

If you want proof, just look at Blondie, they were a punk band until they hit it big with "Heart of Glass" then all of a sudden they were Disco. Trust me, early punk music wasn't etched in stone.

However, by the 1980's they'd started to be able to play and all the earlier Glam elements that they'd pretended to disdain had pretty much come back full force. Especially in bands like The Damned and Bauhaus, so "Punk" split into two. Hardcore and New Wave. Now, New Wave was an extremely profitable style because it was close enough to Pop music in overall feel but a bit edgier and record labels "got" that. So you had another split in the late 80's where a lot of New Wave bands became poppier and others (very few) kind of enhanced the doomier, slower aspects of their songwriting and that more of less became Goth.

Can't remember if anyone called it that back then though. I don't remember hearing the word "Goth" until 1994 at the earliest. Who knows? It was probably a gradual thing, like Emo.

All this to say that Emo is basically music made by Goths who can't play so it's a full circle thing where they play Grunge/Punk crap and call it something else to distinguish their style from someone else's.

But, it all sounds like the Blues to me.
Friday, March 14, 2008 4:24 PM on j-body.org
someone mentioned hot topic,,,, whats funny about that store is that is that it sells anit hollister/abercrombie stuff, when abercrombie actually owns it, so those goth pants, might as well be abercrombie

hop on in i've got a J

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:40 AM on j-body.org
Official guide on how to become emo. Dont ask how i found it, but they make some good points.
Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:18 AM on j-body.org
^^^funny stuff

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:02 AM on j-body.org
hahaha: You forgot Skinny Puppy. OLD skinny puppy.

Gerkn: See also: hahaha's post. Most of the goths i know were not androg, they did have the "beauty" as you so eloquently put it, but there were gender lines drawn.

Knox: The same could be said for ANY genre. They make some change on the clothing of the day to suit their own needs. Metalheads from the 80's (and by this i mean Slayer/Exodus, not Y&T/LA Guns), Slashed up tight jeans. Metalheads nowadays: Loose fitting cargo pants. In a weird anachronistic way, if, say, White Zomebie were around in the 50's, it would have brought the dark rockabilly scene into existance before it was considered anachronistic retro.

That and if anything, Goth "subculture" as we know it has more of a kin to Industrial than punk.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:03 AM on j-body.org
i always had it in my mind that goth culture owed more to the death/black metal bands from europe than anywhere else

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:35 PM on j-body.org
Kinda a combination of both--at least in the more modern incarnation that everyone seems to idenitfy with. After all, it is those European blackmetal bands that have the most likley line to the Visigoth/Ostragoth bloodlines than, say, My Chemical Romance. After all, it is the Euro Blackmetal bands that have been known to burn down churches as a statement against the Christians invading, killing people and forcing people at swordpoint to "renounce their false gods, or they will kill them and their children and rape their women."

Still, if you listen to the imagery ofthe music, It has the flavors of Industiral, combined with the themes of Blackmetal or Doom metal. Deathmetal is a whole different beast altogether. Deathmetal is about killing and all the intricate ways a person can die. Blackmetal has some nice gems surrounded by the "I sh** bats for the glory of Satan!" mantra. Most of the decent songs are of more along the lines of the history of the goths and what became of the region (prime example: Marduk's "Dreams of Blood and Iron").

Anyhow, consider any somewhat long-lived subculture. See how it's transformed through the "ages". Compare the early works of RunDMC to whoever's topping the charts of hip hop nowadays.

When it comes to Emo, though, i think as a subclass, it's been around in some form for ages. After all, the 70's had James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg. Give it about 30 years and kids nowadays will be blaming Green Day for preventing them from getting head and turning them into pussies as well.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:17 AM on j-body.org
wasnt Elvis emo?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:04 AM on j-body.org
Casey Schaaf wrote:someone mentioned hot topic,,,, whats funny about that store is that is that it sells anit hollister/abercrombie stuff, when abercrombie actually owns it, so those goth pants, might as well be abercrombie

Abercrombie has five brands, Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie, Hollister Co., RUEHL No.925, and Gilly Hicks. Hot Topic is not related to them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search