What does the REBEL FLAG stand for today? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What does the REBEL FLAG stand for today?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:27 PM on j-body.org
This is not intended to be a debate, though it will probably turn into one. I was asked about this in school (obviously "Yankees" seem to have the association with racism), so I'm looking for opinions from those of you who fly it and take pride in it.

What does the Rebel Flag symbolize in modern day society to southerners?

If it symbolizes the South rising again: Do you want seperation from the union?

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum

Re: What does the REBEL FLAG stand for today?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:46 PM on j-body.org
kid rock

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:48 PM on j-body.org
its about heritage and a way of life. it doesnt mean racism or that the "south will rise again" even if a few ignorant people use it as such. i dont have anything with a rebel flag on it due to its obvious negative connotations, but i get tired of hearing people complain about it. with the aforementioned exceptions, it should not mean anything different than any other flag (such as a state flag or an irish flag if your family was from ireland, etc)

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:59 PM on j-body.org
No different than a Swastika or a Pentagram: A symbol representing one thing good or neutral that some group bastardized into something completely evil and everyone now is completely ignorant to what it was supposed to mean.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:04 PM on j-body.org
Big trucks and bonfires in the woods

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:22 PM on j-body.org
(tabs) wrote:its about heritage and a way of life. it doesnt mean racism or that the "south will rise again" even if a few ignorant people use it as such. i dont have anything with a rebel flag on it due to its obvious negative connotations, but i get tired of hearing people complain about it. with the aforementioned exceptions, it should not mean anything different than any other flag (such as a state flag or an irish flag if your family was from ireland, etc)

It represents my past and heritage. Whether or not I'm proud of my heritage is irrelevant, it is still my heritage. However, I am proud of it and openly express it. Both my mother and father's families were raised in the South and both had a family member fighting in the Civil War. I have no notion that the South will rise again but I'm proud of what the Confederacy stood for, the rights of the states. The Confederate Constitution was not perfect by any means but it did have that principle in mind. Ignorant people see the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism because they don't care to know about anything else related to the South.

I'm hoping the Florida legislature approves a "Confederate Heritage" license plate...

http://www.wmbb.com/gulfcoastwest/mbb/search.apx.-content-articles-MBB-2008-02-26-0002.html

...I won't be surprised when this thread turns into a debate on slavery or a bunch of stereotypical redneck jokes.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:05 PM on j-body.org
Broken dreams and missed opportunities.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:12 PM on j-body.org

In Canada, you can buy rebel flag licence plates at Wal-Mart. It's a total non-issue. Though a lot of french people from Quebec fought for the South in the Civil war. At the time Canada was a bit wary of a unified United-States and felt that a split of the country would only benefit it.

In any case, I have several rebel flag t-shirts and whatnot and it's never even raised an eyebrow on anyone. It's just a cool looking flag up here.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:08 PM on j-body.org
If you are black, your "leadership" says it is a sign of oppression and racism...hearkening back to the days of lynching and Jim Crow laws.

I see it and think redneck. Simple. Same as when I see 22 inch rims on a 86 Buick Regal....Ghetto.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:55 AM on j-body.org

thats the "official" Confederate Flag... and the majority of people wouldn't care if you flew this one. It's the battle flag that pisses people off for some reason. I'm from the North originally and I still think it's a cool looking flag if anything

Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:26 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]No different than a Swastika or a Pentagram: A symbol representing one thing good or neutral that some group bastardized into something completely evil and everyone now is completely ignorant to what it was supposed to mean.

QFT, even though i could give 2 @!#$s for the confed. flag, you can only tell what it means each time you see it by meeting the person flying it and asking them.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:42 PM on j-body.org

it means that you're a redneck proud of it

Friday, March 14, 2008 9:07 AM on j-body.org
Means this to me ..always has and always will

---

Friday, March 14, 2008 4:33 PM on j-body.org
when I went to Maryville High School the school had a rebel flag because we were the Maryville Rebels. My last year in 1999 they got rid of it and it became an issue and they painted something else in the school gym and cafeteria; we were not happy!!

"Despite administrators' attempts, the student body still managed to bring the Rebel flag into their stadium and others on their clothes, tied around their waists, or even painted on their bodies. When assistant principals attempted to kick students out for wearing the flag, a $20 million lawsuit was pressed against the school for denying the right of free speech. In response, students created facebook groups with names like, "Don't like the rebel flag? Well, don't fly it and shut the hell up!" where they argue that the flag is not a symbol of racism because the Civil War was not fought over slavery, but over state's rights."

Maryville High School TN

Friday, March 14, 2008 9:18 PM on j-body.org
farking your sister.................and your mom

Friday, March 14, 2008 10:38 PM on j-body.org
i always seen it to stand for being different or going against the law. hense why most people call it a rebel flag not the confederate flag. and mostly around here you see it in bandana form tied around bikers handle bars.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:59 AM on j-body.org
I have always looked at it as a symbol of people standing together for what they think is right (right, wrong, or indiferent), and standing up against being forced to belive in something that they don't belive it.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 3:16 PM on j-body.org
general lee to me also

Saturday, March 15, 2008 3:17 PM on j-body.org
the car fromn the dukes of hazzard i mewan.we got a 4 dr orange tempo pain ted up like the general flag and all driving around by my work good laught for sure

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:18 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:Means this to me ..always has and always will

General Lee with the door open FTMFL!!!!

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:19 AM on j-body.org
I thought Cooter welded them shut.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:32 AM on j-body.org
cotton!

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:39 AM on j-body.org
cooter did and also didnt he take that chrome piece off of the sail panel that is for a vinyl top?
the first general lee
http://www.generalleefanclub.com/71/71.html?=

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:08 AM on j-body.org

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:03 PM on j-body.org
I see it around here in Canada too, to me it represents a bad time in North America's history and racism. America suffered very much during the civil war and we shouldn't be reminded of it. There are people who do not know what it is up here because we don't study US history so people are like what is that? I just feel one day I'm gonna see a guy with his pick up truck and a big confederate flag in the back and make sure to tell some big african-american guys if they around what its about and then get em scare the guy away lol.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search