Global Warming - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Global Warming
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:19 AM on j-body.org
I know this has been covered on JBO before, but I just wanted to bring it back up for discussion, because it's an interesting topic.
I'm just looking for other people's opinions...

To start off, here's some back ground:

Just some old articles from Time magazine. I didn't spend a whole lot of time searching, it just gives a quick outline of the thinking of the time...

1939: Global Warming:

1951: Ice Age?

1978: Global Warming

1984: Ice Age

2008: Global Warming
with Al Gore at the front of the line.

Now:
Some facts:
- The 'enormous' chunks of ice caps that melted last year and the year before, are back, and bigger than even 3 years ago.
- The hole in the ozone layer gets bigger and smaller throughout the year, and isn't proven to be getting bigger over time.
- CFC's effect on 'Ozone Depletion' has been disproven by scientists.
- the Kyoto Accord hasn't been talked about in the past 2 years
- Bob Lutz: GM - Chair man: Global Warming is a crock of $#!t -- Bob-Lutz
- This is just off the top of my head, if I do some searching, I can find more info.

So:
My questions are...

1a. Do you believe in 'human caused' Global Warming? If yes, go to question 2.
1b. What about Cyclical Global Warming? If yes, go to Question 3.
1c. Global Warming at all? if no, go to question 5.

2. If you do believe that humans caused Global Warming, what do you think we should do to stop it?

3. If you don't believe that humans caused Global Warming, but you do believe it is cyclical, Do you believe that the ocean levels will rise and flood countries such as the Netherlands, cities like New York, and cause all kinds of other damage? If yes, go to question 4.

4. If you believe that cities will flood and stuff because of melting ice caps, do you think that there is anything we can do about it since it is cyclical anyway?

5. Why not?

Re: Global Warming
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:30 AM on j-body.org
I just realized I skewed my own question:
I just figured the general concensus seems to be that Global Warming is true and whatever, so I thought I would pose some opposing 'facts' or snippets, and see what would happen.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:56 AM on j-body.org
Global Warming is a fallacy.
Enough said.
The ocean puts out how much CO2.....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:07 PM on j-body.org
1. That the Earth is warming is a FACT. The Earth is definately getting warmer, no doubt about it. The ONLY debated thing is whether Man has caused this and whether we should/could do things to stop it. We know from numerous sources that the average temperature of the Earth is increasing and the polar caps are shrinking. Glaciers are all on the retreat. This is all irrefutable data.

I believe now that this is a Cyclical pattern of warming that the Earth has gone through for millions of eyars. The Earth will warm up, sea levels will rise, but then they will fall again. We don't know if this is a "blip" or the start of something bigger. I don't buy into the hysteria of "man-induced" global warming totally. We may not be helping the planet by burning FF's, but are we simgle-handedly destroying it, I don't think so. So, while we are sure polluting and killing everything on this planet, I don't believe we are warming it.

2. I don't think they are.

3. Yes ocean levels will rise and fall naturally over LONG geologic time scales. We won't wake up underwater anytime soon. It will happen slowly enough where Man can gradually move from danger. And the water will eventually recede, especially if the warming triggers an Ice Age. See thermohaline circulation stoppage.

4. No, Man cannot change the Earth's natural cycles. We're only along for the ride.

5. Man is insignificant compared to the forces driving the Earth.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:09 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

The ocean puts out how much CO2.....

The ocean is the sink, not the source of CO2. The ocean is the major mechanism for CO2 removal on this planet as phytoplankton use CO2 for photosynthesis

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:21 PM on j-body.org
Yes the planet seems to be getting warmer, but is the sun getting larger and hotter?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:45 PM on j-body.org
we didnt have a decent snow here all winter. and the few times it did snow, it was gone in a day or two. hell, for a week in february i was wearing shorts.

i say global warming FTMFW!!!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:09 AM on j-body.org
(tabs) wrote:we didnt have a decent snow here all winter. and the few times it did snow, it was gone in a day or two. hell, for a week in february i was wearing shorts.

I live about 200 miles north of you and we got over 100 inches of snow. Sure, compared to Buffalo that's not alot but we broke the record for the snowiest winter on record this year, the old record was last year. Global warming?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:19 AM on j-body.org
Where's Global Warming? It's almost the end of March and its still in the mid 30's for highs. Last weekend we had 6" inches of snow and we're expecting another inch overnight.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:13 PM on j-body.org
cold spells/spring snow don't disprove global warmng. These trend are average seasonal temperatures of a region over a period of time. Global warming doesn't mean winter will stop. We will still have spring snowstorms and cold spells.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:04 PM on j-body.org
ToBoGgAn wrote:Yes the planet seems to be getting warmer, but is the sun getting larger and hotter?

That could be the truth about Global Warming and what if the sun also has its UPs and DOWNs every so many years.

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:08 PM on j-body.org
First fact: Global warming is a fact, average temperatures are going up across the globe Link
Second fact: Global warming is a part of rapid climate change. Link
Third fact: since CFC's have been banned, Ozone concentrations over the poles are no longer declining. Thanks to the Montreal Protocol. The Ozone hole does enlarge and contract seasonally, but the hole is larger year over year. Link
Fourth fact: The enormous chunks of polar ice that have evaporated, do actually return during the winter, and they return with far less mass... it's a yearly cycle. The problem is that there are large bergs being calved and they're not returning the next year. Want proof? Ayles Ice Shelf
Fifth fact: Bob Lutz is a great car guy, he's also NOT an atmospheric scientist, and that's no crock. Link
Sixth fact: Kyoto has been talked about... remember the Carbon offsets? It's in Kyoto. Know why it is that you can get CCF Lights at Home depot/Walmart/wherever? Kyoto. Know what the impetus behind the CAFE standard? K-town... well, Kyoto.

Quote:

1a. Do you believe in 'human caused' Global Warming? If yes, go to question 2.
1b. What about Cyclical Global Warming? If yes, go to Question 3.
1c. Global Warming at all? if no, go to question 5.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Quote:

2. If you do believe that humans caused Global Warming, what do you think we should do to stop it?

Yes, I just answered that. Mitigate our use of fossil fuels, and begin using renewable sources of energy sources like Wind, solar radiation, and tidal power generation.

That being said, you cannot look at it the science of astronomy and not figure out that the earth will warm and cool in a cycle that is partly yearly, and partly in phase with the sun's "moods." However, you can't also expect that by dumping hundreds of tons carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, and then also taking away the major means behind sinking that CO2 (ie tropical rainforests) is going to make the problem any better either.

Quote:

3. If you don't believe that humans caused Global Warming, but you do believe it is cyclical, Do you believe that the ocean levels will rise and flood countries such as the Netherlands, cities like New York, and cause all kinds of other damage? If yes, go to question 4.

Yes, if it's left unchecked, then you will see not only coastal flooding, but quite possibly continental flooding.

Quote:

4. If you believe that cities will flood and stuff because of melting ice caps, do you think that there is anything we can do about it since it is cyclical anyway?
Sure. See above #1. We're dumping 800 times more carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases than at any point in the last 420,000 years.

Quote:

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/co2/vostok.htm

There is a close correlation between Antarctic temperature and atmospheric concentrations of CO2 (Barnola et al. 1987). The extension of the Vostok CO2 record shows that the main trends of CO2 are similar for each glacial cycle. Major transitions from the lowest to the highest values are associated with glacial-interglacial transitions. During these transitions, the atmospheric concentrations of CO2 rises from 180 to 280-300 ppmv (Petit et al. 1999). The extension of the Vostok CO2 record shows the present-day levels of CO2 are unprecedented during the past 420 kyr. Pre-industrial Holocene levels (~280 ppmv) are found during all interglacials, with the highest values (~300 ppmv) found approximately 323 kyr BP. When the Vostok ice core data were compared with other ice core data (Delmas et al. 1980; Neftel et al. 1982) for the past 30,000 - 40,000 years, good agreement was found between the records: all show low CO2 values [~200 parts per million by volume (ppmv)] during the Last Glacial Maximum and increased atmospheric CO2 concentrations associated with the glacial-Holocene transition.

If you want the answer to the problem of abrupt climate change, it's remarkably simple:
- REDUCE the amount of energy you use (make one big car trip on the way home instead of 2-3, use a Bike or walk instead of a car, Unplug soft-off electronics, turn the thermostat down)
- REUSE the items you possibly can instead of buying extras (like batteries)
- RECYCLE items that you no longer can use (there is quite literally NOTHING that cannot be reclaimed at least partially)
- REPAIR any item you can instead of replacing it.
- REFUSE to buy anything that is overpackaged, or one-time use only (within reason), or will expel GHGs.

This will stop-gap the damage.

To start recovering:
- Reforestation, to recover the rain forest lost in the last 40 years (this won't be easy though, most of the nutrients the rain forest had was in the canopy)
- Further reduce consumption of energy and materials.
- Begin repairing man-made chemical pollution damage and converting it into inert compounds
- Find new renewable energy resources that are not going to release GHGs into the air or create waste problems.
- Find new renewable, reclaimable or biodegradable materials for making items.

To be honest, Bob Lutz and people that ignore the broad agreement of independently gained evidence (there are very few disagreeing views that are credible, and in either case there is usually at least one, usually many, similarly studied postulate that gives a contradictory result... the disagreement is a statistical out-layer, but it's normal) can get stuffed. We've NEVER used this much fossil fuel or have been dumping GHG's into the atmosphere. Ignoring this, and sloughing it off as "just one of those things" and doing nothing about it is pretty moronic, we have been doing this to ourselves for hundreds of years, and we're only now catching on that not only is it exaggerating the natural cyclical warming/cooling trends but it's our problem to deal with. We can actually stop assaulting our environment and actually make things better.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:00 AM on j-body.org
i would have added in here, but GAM covered it pretty well

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:39 AM on j-body.org
zero wrote:
(tabs) wrote:we didnt have a decent snow here all winter. and the few times it did snow, it was gone in a day or two. hell, for a week in february i was wearing shorts.

I live about 200 miles north of you and we got over 100 inches of snow. Sure, compared to Buffalo that's not alot but we broke the record for the snowiest winter on record this year, the old record was last year. Global warming?

ya, we got quite a bit of snow this year.....definately not as much as a normal yearly total, but still snow on the ground the entire winter.

like yesterday and today are 60's....but by 6pm it is supposed to be 28 degrees and snowing again.

global warming....YES
induced by man....NOT A CHANCE

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:12 AM on j-body.org
Climate change? Yes.

Human's causing it? Not sure, i think partially, but not the smoking gun that everyone thinks is.

My feelings about it? AIDS didn't work, SARS didn't work, maybe this will bring about our total extinction.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:02 PM on j-body.org
Is the globe warming yes, is it Global warming no.
i believe my definition of Global Warming must be different than others.
Spitfire your correct...I was backwards.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:15 AM on j-body.org
Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:35 AM on j-body.org
Interesting that the climate record didn't get mentioned... it will reflect that there was far less abrupt temperature change around the world (where accurate temperature records were kept) before the industrial revolution switched to fossil fuels.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:09 AM on j-body.org
Be that as it may, pretty much all of the carbon in fossil fuels was one in the air or in the ecosystem, even if the absolute WORST extinction happened, in which we burned up all of the fossil fuels, the resulting biomass left, of mainly us, would not be enough to kill ALL life. Some would be able to survive in conditions very similar to the first life that was on earth prior to large-scale photosynthesis, and many photosynthetic organisms would still survive not being able to be combustible biomass.

In an event of that level of extinction, life would go on--we wouldn't. The thing is, by the time we'd burn up all of the fossil fuels, we'd have to durn to living biomass for fuel. With the rate of extinction by less hardy species, we would have already signed our own death warrants as a specie, so likley, the biomass itself wouldn't die out--and with all of the missing niches--including us, as humans, we'd see a population explosion not dissimilar to the Cambrian, Triassic, and Tertiary explosions after mass extinctions.

The earth has been in far *worse* states than we could possibly put it in. Futher, many of these states we would never survive.

GAM: the only possible error to your argument there is that rtracing climate then was far less of an exact science, and begs credibility of accuracy not ony in measurments but the measurement tools themselves. Further, it won't show the absolute climate extremes such as snowball earth and steambath earth since there are no records from those periods. While we can tell in the macro periods on how the climate was in general, we couldn't register the chnage over micro periods. For all we know, the PT, and the KT events happened in MUCH shorter time than the Industrial revolution did. Further, the end of the last great ice age could have happened quicker than we thought.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being good to the environment and letting it change as it will and "flowing" with it, but if you think the fear is killing the planet you (as in anywone who believes that) are deluded. It's the killing ourselves that we subconsiously fear, and the attitude that we're above and beyond nature sure isn't helping.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:09 AM on j-body.org
Willem wrote:I know this has been covered on JBO before,...

Here's a question for you. What does anyone have to gain by inventing global warming and pushing it if it's not true?

Why would most scientists, who's life passion is science and not politics, stand behind Global Warming?

---

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:22 AM on j-body.org
Money=power. All power corrups, absoluet power corrups absolutely, but it absolutely rocks and is more fun than just plain power.

That being said, i'm not one thinking that climate change is a myth. anyone who believes that is the obvious recipient of the full fist. I just have a gut feeling that arguments for both sides tend to be deluded and have an underlying cause as opposed to "the best thing for humanity."

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:16 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]The earth has been in far *worse* states than we could possibly put it in. Futher, many of these states we would never survive.
True, but I'm considering human survival here, I mean, if life can be found within ingneous rock, it's pretty safe to say it'll live pretty much anywhere.

Quote:

GAM: the only possible error to your argument there is that rtracing climate then was far less of an exact science, and begs credibility of accuracy not ony in measurments but the measurement tools themselves. Further, it won't show the absolute climate extremes such as snowball earth and steambath earth since there are no records from those periods. While we can tell in the macro periods on how the climate was in general, we couldn't register the chnage over micro periods. For all we know, the PT, and the KT events happened in MUCH shorter time than the Industrial revolution did. Further, the end of the last great ice age could have happened quicker than we thought.
I was actually referring to recorded climates from pre-fossil fuel industrial age... figure 1600's or so. I also understand you need to take a long-view approach to it, but in reality, we're killing a lot of the planet's self-regulation systems, which is the major reason for my concern. We're also seeing abrupt changes in the way the earth is reacting to us... I don't think that we're going to change this overnight certainly, but the less we mess with the earth, the less it'll mess with us, if you catch my drift

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being good to the environment and letting it change as it will and "flowing" with it, but if you think the fear is killing the planet you (as in anywone who believes that) are deluded. It's the killing ourselves that we subconsiously fear, and the attitude that we're above and beyond nature sure isn't helping.

Again, I know life is going to endure, but I'd like to see that life be HUMANS, preferably.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:21 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
Willem wrote:I know this has been covered on JBO before,...

Here's a question for you. What does anyone have to gain by inventing global warming and pushing it if it's not true?

well......what's "true" to one obviously may not be for another.

my view - the earth was here long before humans, and will be here long after humans. The only reason people seem to care is because it affects thier lives. We're nothing but a paracite in the grand scheme of things.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:44 PM on j-body.org

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:13 PM on j-body.org
What do global warming and the internet have in common?

Al gore invented them!

There's too much blood in my caffeine stream.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search