Derogatory Terms - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Derogatory Terms
Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:41 AM on j-body.org
This is in response to the bickering in Skunks thread in P&M: "My Car...Gay?"

Really, I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape when people start throwing slurs and derogatory terms around. Words are just words.

I'm white, call me a cracker/honkey/whatever else you can think of, and watch me laugh at you.
My girlfriend calls me a cracker and I call her a spic just messing around, and it bugs neither of us.
You empower a word by fearing it.

If black people didn't get so upset when others called them a nigger, I guarantee racists would stop using it. I'm not even close to racist, but I use the word nigger/cunt/spic/@!#$ (the f word) when something pisses me off, just because subconsciously I know that they're considered powerful words, and it reflects how angry I am.

Just as a closer, I know numerous homosexual men. Okay, so not so numerous like 5 that I can think of off the top of my head. There's only one of them that I think would get offended at somebody calling something gay.

Actually, I know for a fact that at least 3 of them use the word "gay" to describe things they dislike, such as "God, this video is so gay".
One of them actually calls people "@!#$ faggots", partially satirical, but mostly because he doesn't give a @!#$.

Words are what you let them be.
Stop being cry babies about it, and watch how quickly they stop being used.

Re: Derogatory Terms
Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:46 AM on j-body.org
The word isn't in and of itself the problem, it's the connotation that has been hung on it that is.

If you think it's all well and good and it's just words, call your mom a cunt, or any black person a nigger, and see what kind of reaction you get when you look at their displeasure in disbelief and say "What? It's just a word..."

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:49 AM on j-body.org
That's the point, it only holds power because people let it, and it's stupid.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:56 AM on j-body.org
nigger means ignorant in latin. Which is where the whole term came from.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:07 AM on j-body.org
Short Hand wrote:nigger means ignorant in latin. Which is where the whole term came from.

That's all fine and dandy if people were getting offended because somebody was saying they were stupid, but most everybody who gets called a nigger is upset at the racial connotation, which is just stupid.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:32 AM on j-body.org
There was a guy I work with, who was a huge black man, named addy. His father was born african, and his mother was black english. We all have nicknames where I work, so we asked him "what do you want us to call you", and he replied "just call me token ass nigger". So we started calling him nigger, which got all the white management bent, but not him. He said, the only reason people get upset is because it has been used for so long as a racial slur. Which is true. Its just a word.

On another note, why is it alright for a black person to call me cracker, but when I respond with nigger its a tragedy????

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:44 AM on j-body.org
Cavalier2001z24 wrote:On another note, why is it alright for a black person to call me cracker, but when I respond with nigger its a tragedy????

It's called reverse racism. If you're a cracker, get used to it.... cracker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:45 AM

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:31 AM on j-body.org
I think it has more to do with respect.

You can't help people's stereotypes, and you don't have to play into them.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:49 AM on j-body.org
Short Hand wrote:nigger means ignorant in latin. Which is where the whole term came from.

i didnt know that? interesting tidbit for the day thanks

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:54 AM on j-body.org
I thought it was a derrivative of Negro/Negere, Spanish/French for black or dark.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:49 AM on j-body.org
Things go in cycles. Just 80 years ago, you could make all of the rqacists jokes you wanted to, but go against religion, sexual jokes, etc, and it was HUGE no-no.

Now it's reverse. Religion, sex, etc, are hardly the taboo they once were but everyone gets a hemmorhoid when you pull the race card.

Bad words will be bad words no matter how much you slice and dice them and there will always be bad words as long as humans get sand in their collecive vaginas.

On the personal level, I agree with you. People that get offended need to be offended. On the more society-wide level, you are going to piss some simps off that take offense to it, but it does make for the best private jokes that you can think of. Picture Lenny Bruce, for example, along with "The Aristocrats." Only people that can't get offended will find the aristocrats funny, which is the easiest way to find the devolved humans to point out and laugh at them.

And GAM is right. However "niger" is latin for black, which is the root of french and spanish. Ignorant is ignotus. If i'm right, the use of the word was pulled from the romantic languages to english for describing black people (i.e. negro likley just meant "black person"), but with the move to america, and the pidgkin dialects that followed, espcially in the south, it was shortened to "nigger" much in the same way that "indian" was shortened to "injun".

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:12 AM on j-body.org
One of the biggest signs I see that proves recent Mexican immigrants are real Americans is when you hear about them complaining about someone's tshirt or something someone said.

In real Mexican culture, it's ingrained in you to laugh at yourself and be tough with words. My family and I make fun of ourselves and laugh at ourselves alllll the time. My friends all caught onto this and joined right in. My white friends would come over and we'd make fun of their whiteness and they'd make fun of our browness.

It was all and is all done out of love.

---

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:16 AM on j-body.org
^^^My college roomate was mexican, and our best friend in college was black. We'd always shoot jibes back an forth. IMNSHO, if you can't laugh at yourself you have no right to laugh at others.

And believe you me, i have plenty of reasons to laugh at me and don't mind others doing so.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:45 AM on j-body.org
Where I'm from... we call each other the F-word all the time...... If I see one of my buddies walking by I'll yell out "Hey Fuker" to grab his attention and he'll walk over and reply by saying "hey fat ass whuts up" (although I'm not fat.... it's just that he's a damn stick and we make fun of each other)

It's the idea of "If I didn't like you... I wouldn't Fuc with ya" mentality.

Friends and family give each other crap all the time... it's what they do..... doing so shows that your close enough with each other to say things like that. For a lot of people the F word and douchebag are terms of endearment.

I also believe that words are just words and as long as your not using them to purposely offend or derogotize someone that's there is nothing wrong with saying the F or N word or whatever it is.

Because of my background... I tend to slip the F-word at least twice into every sentence without even realizing it.... I'm not using it in an offending way or anything.... it's more like a subconscious accent more than anything...... but it still pisses people off next to me in the check out line and to be honest... I really don't understand why it does.

As far as the black thing goes... I used to work with a black guy (he got fired for something stupid) and one day he was giving me @!#$ and without thinking I yelled out "Nigga what!!!! you best not be talkin @!#$...... he paused for a moment and we both laughed....... hell he used to make fun of me for being a "white boy" all the time so it was all good.

It's not the word that's the problem... it's how it's used..... If you went up to a black guy that you where pissed at and said "You ignorant person of African heritage.... you really need to learn" Instead of just calling him a Nigger..... although they both basically mean the same thing.... he wouldn't be as pissed.

While at the same time him and his buddies probably throw the N word around using it instead of the word buddie.....

It's not the word itself that's the problem.... it's the way it's used.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:14 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]IMNSHO, if you can't laugh at yourself you have no right to laugh at others.

quoted for 100% truth

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:17 PM on j-body.org
"You ignorant person of African heritage"

There's too much blood in my caffeine stream.
Friday, April 11, 2008 8:13 AM on j-body.org
i dunno, maybe its me, but i dont even pay attention to race
i make fun of people based on @!#$ they do, not on what they are
they cant help what they are (in terms of race and sex, etc.) but they can certainly help what they do
i dont call people nigger or spic or anything because i dont see the need
maybe im just weird like that

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:37 AM on j-body.org
Well neither do I. I'm much more likely to call a person a stupid @!#$ than a nigger/spic etc. I'm not talking about using the words as insults, just using them in general.

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:22 AM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:maybe im just weird

werd

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:31 PM on j-body.org
I think that making fun of someone's race SHOULD be no worse than making fun of their hair or tallness/shortness or big feet or whatever. However, millenia of oppression, discrimination and genocide based on race has kind of made it a sore spot where people literally harbor deep resentment of each other and blame it on skin color. While I can understand the latter, I still hold hope for the former.

It's sad that we're only pretending to be enlightened about race when we still hold grudges against each other.
Friday, April 11, 2008 5:25 PM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:they cant help what they are (in terms of race and sex, etc.)

I beg to differ sir

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:18 PM on j-body.org
it's not like MJ wanted to be white, it was his skin disease.

Either way, I cannot stand derogatory terms. That doesn't mean i don't use them because i may slip here or there but that's it.

-Markus
2002 Yellow Cavalier LS Sport

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:16 PM on j-body.org
idk, i call things 'gay' because to me there are more than two meanings for it. gay as in happy, gay as in homosexual, and gay as in something thats just 'gay' i dont know how to describe it lol, but when i say it i dont mean gay as in HOMO i mean it like i dont like it or something... idk... its hard to describe online.

Rollin' on question marks since 07.
Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:14 AM on j-body.org
The "third" meaning of gay to you is synonymous with "not cool" I'm assuming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:15 AM

Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:41 PM on j-body.org
i say gay instead of stupid
bad habit? possibly, my sister doesnt always like it when i use it but whatever, she'll live

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search