Derogatory Terms - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Derogatory Terms
Monday, April 14, 2008 5:56 AM on j-body.org
Tracer Bullet wrote:i say gay instead of stupid
bad habit? possibly, my sister doesnt always like it when i use it but whatever, she'll live

Call her a ho! ;P

Monday, April 14, 2008 9:01 AM on j-body.org
Speaking plainly instead of using inference is a little easier.

GAY != Stupid, weird, funny, useless etc.

Use the proper word, but that's JMHO.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:29 PM on j-body.org
I had a black guy call me a nigger once. Not sure what he meant buy it since I am a white. I laughed at him and kept walking. He had a very puzzled look on his face when I did that. To me its just a word and if its fair game for black people to use then it should be fair game for everyone to use. Go ahead call me a cracker, it doesnt bother me.

BTW im Krout, Dego, Mick mix.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:44 AM on j-body.org
I just want to throw my $.02 on somthing...

If we can infer that something stupid being called "gay" is offensive to homosexuals because theyget upset that a reference to their lifestyle is linked to a word that means stupid, or whatever. Then trying to separate the term by using "gay" to mean homosexual and "ghey" to refer to something stupid, even though they are phonetically similar, would be like saying that it's not okay to say "nigger" in reference to a black person that, per the usage, is a deadbeat that just "keeps it real" (in the words of Chris Rock), but okay to have it phonetically similar but spell it "nhiggor". Or evern, to use "nigga".

It's asinine at best, hypocritical at worst. Besdies, we all use english, and one of the things that Miška pointed out about english, especially american dialects, is our "creativity" in coming up with euphamistic and dysphamistic language. surely, we could come up with another term that means the same as "gay" in the sense of it meaning stupid or idiotic that works just as well. Hell, lame, weak, heinous, distills goatloads, and just plain wrong come to mind.

Heck, if we could come up with words/phrases like "one-eyed wiggling welshmen", "purple-headed junket pumper", "Heat-seaking moisture missle", "Love truncheon", "wolly-booger", "lapcat", "road-dome", "duck-butter", "gnat-bread", "having the painters in", "yodelling in the gully", and "shooting putty at the moon", surely we can come up with new words rather than re-using existing ones.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:11 AM on j-body.org
Racist. Some blacks love to label whites as racist. So now whites are afraid/offended by "racist" and some blacks exploit the term.

FYI....African-American signifies someone born in Africa and immigrated to the US. If you were born in the US, then you are not African-American. $.02

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum
Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:26 PM on j-body.org
Go.Stop (Ron Carvalho) wrote:This is in response to the bickering in Skunks thread in P&M: "My Car...Gay?"

Really, I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape when people start throwing slurs and derogatory terms around. Words are just words.

I'm white, call me a cracker/honkey/whatever else you can think of, and watch me laugh at you.
My girlfriend calls me a cracker and I call her a spic just messing around, and it bugs neither of us.
You empower a word by fearing it.

If black people didn't get so upset when others called them a nigger, I guarantee racists would stop using it. I'm not even close to racist, but I use the word nigger/cunt/spic/@!#$ (the f word) when something pisses me off, just because subconsciously I know that they're considered powerful words, and it reflects how angry I am.

Just as a closer, I know numerous homosexual men. Okay, so not so numerous like 5 that I can think of off the top of my head. There's only one of them that I think would get offended at somebody calling something gay.

Actually, I know for a fact that at least 3 of them use the word "gay" to describe things they dislike, such as "God, this video is so gay".
One of them actually calls people "@!#$ faggots", partially satirical, but mostly because he doesn't give a @!#$.

Words are what you let them be.
Stop being cry babies about it, and watch how quickly they stop being used.

I totally agree with you! How Ironic that I was thinking the same thing when I read that thread. Props for coming out and saying it.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:04 PM on j-body.org
EcoMark wrote:
Either way, I cannot stand derogatory terms. That doesn't mean i don't use them because i may slip here or there but that's it.

Hey Mark
Congrats on making an issue out of nothing in that thread. You are going to be a much gayer person in life if you don't get all butthurt about people using the word gay, fag ect. After all as Ron Carvalho "Words are what you let them be."

Infact you have the choice of how you want to respond to me describing your reaction to this as butthurt. You can get all butthurt that I made a joke with a derogatory gay conotation or you can simply choose to not use words like that yourself. Just as you choose not to use them I choose to use them on a daily basis.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:27 AM on j-body.org
Mennitti wrote:Racist. Some blacks love to label whites as racist. So now whites are afraid/offended by "racist" and some blacks exploit the term.

FYI....African-American signifies someone born in Africa and immigrated to the US. If you were born in the US, then you are not African-American. $.02

Agree 100%

Here is something that I like to do.... When a black person tells you they are African American..... just do this (assuming you are white anyways)

Look at him or her all surprised (like you just found out that you come from the same home town as them or something)

and then say.... :Really?......... I'm European American...... what are the odds?"

It will either piss them off to all hell, or they will get a good laugh...

Either way... you get to make fun of them for calling themselves that.... and they can't argue with your logic..... plus they get the benefit of hearing how stupid something like "African American" sounds from your point of view as well..

If you where born in the US.... you are NOT African American..... you just happen to be an American that has darker than the norm skin...... aka Black.

The only difference between a black person and a white person (besides some small medical differences) is that one has darker skin than the other..... if you think about it.... it's NO DIFFERENT than somebody with blond hair and somebody with brown hair. If you saw a bunch of Blond people going to war with a bunch of brunettes.... you wouldn't be able to make sense of it...... there is no difference just because the difference in color happens to be skin.

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:31 PM on j-body.org
Any time there is a difference in two groups that someone may be uncomfortable with, there is varying levels of hostility. Just be thankful that most of the time it stops at words.

Quote:

If you saw a bunch of Blond people going to war with a bunch of brunettes....

I saw that on pay-per-view I think.....well the beginning, then took a nap...
Monday, May 05, 2008 9:48 AM on j-body.org
Anyone else want to get all the racist mother-@!#$s together in a hastily converted thundersome, have them all fight it out, then take the winers, give them a medal, than blowtorch their testicles?

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:38 AM on j-body.org
^^^ NO

To be honest.... I'm not racist in the sense of judging someone on their skin... but I am guilty of judging someone on where they are from..... although I'll give a particular person a chance to prove me wrong... and if they do... good.... but I still think the same of their people as a whole. I personally don't think not liking people that come from a certain country (not based on their skin color) is racist though.

People tend to forget that being racist doesn't really hurt anything.... its your right...... as long as you give a person a chance, and your not joining a clan, or calling a complete stranger a nigger.... I really don't see a real problem with it.

People fear things that are different... it's natural..... just give them a chance on an individual level first before you group them with the majority.... after all... all racism stems from certain amounts of truths found in the majority.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:33 AM on j-body.org
No, that's prejudice. Racism is the illusion that your race is superior or other races are inferior. Racists won't give someone else the individual chance because they actually look at those who aren't of their race as subhuman--or their race as superhuman.

Example (and yes, i'm going to piss someone off with this): Prejudice is thinking that all black people love fried chicken, watermelon, and collared greens, but black are human just like us. Racism is thinking blacks are less evolved than us.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:36 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Example (and yes, i'm going to piss someone off with this): Prejudice is thinking that all black people love fried chicken, watermelon, and collared greens, but black are human just like us. Racism is thinking blacks are less evolved than us.

Umm.... hold on.... I'm really going to piss people off now.....

Black people ARE technically less evolved than white people from a medical standpoint.... Black people are more likely to suffer from hear disease, high blood pressure, get cancer, and all kinds of other things like that.... a lot of times... the chances are significantly higher..... does that make white people better.... NO .... but talking solely from an evolution standpoint.... yes.

Personally... I've never known a black person who didn't love fried chicken and watermelon.... but I haven't met a white person who didn't either.... I don't like collard greens.... but I would line up to get me some Wings and melon..... of love them.

I know I sound like a bigot right now... but I'm not...

The point I was trying to make is that racism really isn't the problem (it's going to exist no matter what)... the problem is people acting on racism or letting it effect how they treat other people.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 9:06 AM on j-body.org
Technically blacks are better adapted to savannas and the "desert" and "tropical" latitudes, than whites, so it's all a matter of perspective. Whites evolved traits to better survive colder climates. Thus technically, they're not "more" or "less" evolved, per se, but they're differently evolved.

Again, I disagree: Racism is the real problem, it's prejudice that's not. Racists will always act on any racial impulse. Prejudice will always be there and exist no matter what (granted, the type of prejudice about a specific race is fluid and does change over time).

Just my $.02.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:10 AM on j-body.org
I understand what your saying... and yes ending racism would solve a lot.... but since that's not going to happen.... if we can at least learn to co-exists... it will help.

Yes racism is the source of the problem... I'll give you that.... but it's always going to be here... but if people didn't act on said racism and judged others on a person to person level.... regardless of their predetermined beliefs of another culture.... it would make a significant difference....

Basically the point I was trying to make is that asking someone not to be racist isn't going to get you anywhere.... asking them to at least hold back and wait for somebody to prove their beliefs wrong or right before they label them.... well that's more likely to happen... although some people are too closed minded to do that... and that's the real problem.

Thursday, May 08, 2008 8:07 AM on j-body.org
^^^and I understand what you're saying. Though, we shouldn't end at racism. Sexism, nationalism, and basically zealotism in all of its forms should be gone.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, May 09, 2008 9:16 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]^^^and I understand what you're saying. Though, we shouldn't end at racism. Sexism, nationalism, and basically zealotism in all of its forms should be gone.

I agree... and you brought up a good point.... all the things you mentioned are just different forms of the same thing..... pregidous....

They all have the same foundations and reasons for existing.... and all exist for the same reason..... everyone thinks that everyone else is either inferior or wrong.

Maybe someday.... everyone on this planet will only see each other as just "people" and that's it.... but that is a long way off....

Friday, May 09, 2008 9:56 PM on j-body.org
Weebel wrote:
Quote:

Umm.... hold on.... I'm really going to piss people off now.....

Black people ARE technically less evolved than white people from a medical standpoint.... Black people are more likely to suffer from hear disease, high blood pressure, get cancer, and all kinds of other things like that.... a lot of times... the chances are significantly higher..... does that make white people better.... NO .... but talking solely from an evolution standpoint.... yes.

Personally... I've never known a black person who didn't love fried chicken and watermelon.... but I haven't met a white person who didn't either.... I don't like collard greens.... but I would line up to get me some Wings and melon..... of love them.

I know I sound like a bigot right now... but I'm not...

The point I was trying to make is that racism really isn't the problem (it's going to exist no matter what)... the problem is people acting on racism or letting it effect how they treat other people.

then in that sense Asians are more evolved than whites because they live longer on average and are generally perceived as smarter
I am not sure where you got all this info about heart disease, blood pressure, cancer, and the like, i would love to see that info
From an evolution standpoint, humans are at the same level
Education and beliefs are the main division in races and cultures throughout the world, not evolution based on race
what about white Africans? where do they fit in this evolutionary discussion? Because most of them are descendants of Europeans, does that mean they are of a different evolutionary path? or do they have a muddled path with possible "cross-breeding"? You could go a lot of ways with these arguments about human evolution when describing race, and it is a very touchy and very vague route to go on.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:21 AM on j-body.org
^^^ your right.... and that really isn't a good thing to argue....because health has nothing to do with the person you are. Although black people do tend to have a shorter life expectancy and mortality rate as a whole.... I would assume it has something to do from not being around modern medicine as long (as their race goes).

As for the white African thing..... I forgot about that.... a large number of people in southern Africa are white.... it makes you wonder if anyone living in the states that descended from them considers themselves "African American" also....

With the exception if there military.... I would say that japan is more scientifically evolved than us.

I'm wondering how this turned into a black/white thing....... what about everyone else LOL.

Personally.... I find racism funny..... mainly because of it's stupidity.... I mean common.... when people think someone is a certain way just because of the color they are..... I can't help but to laugh at the person thinking that.

The only real thing that black people tend to do that bothers me is when they make a point to "act black".... basically when they have to bring up the point that their black in every sentence, dress like a rap star for no reason..... and walk with a limp because they think it looks cool... I just want to walk up to those people and say... "come on man... who do you think your kidding.... you live down the street from me.... start walking normal like I see you do every night at work LOL". Probably because I see them for who they really are... not that they are trying to be.

Really.... the only way I'm racist at all would be my prejudice against Somalians...not all of them mind you... I know a few that I get a long with reasonably well.... it's more that I'm pissed at my company and society for saying we have to adapt to them. I don't know about you guys.... but they are thick here... the majority of them don't speak English for crap... are cocky as hell, and for some reason... cant figure out how modern plumbing works..

I work with a bunch of them and my work is making us go to diversity training classes... that's BS. I'm one of the more diverse people I know... and why the hell should I need to adapt to them.... they moved here.... they can adapt to us. Even the Mexicans I work with and that live here (quite a few of them) feel the same way I do. They are so different than us, but they don't want to assimilate themselves for the most part. As for a derogatory term... IDK one... everyone just called them Smallies... for short.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:35 AM on j-body.org
i dont consider it "acting black" but more like acting ghetto, because whites, blacks, puerto ricans, asians, etc. they all do that. People just call it "acting black" because in mainstream media, 99% of rappers are black, and they perpetrate the stereotype like no other. Frankly, the best example of what rappers should "evolve" into is Jay-Z. Now you may not like his music that much, but he has definitely "grown up" per say and has become a rather responsible and over-all excellent business person, and a much better contributer to society as opposed to most rappers who just go and get their "paper" and spend it on cars, booze and "hoes". Of course this is not exclusive to the rap community, but extends to lots of other musical genres as well. There are generally two reasons that people have to fight off stereotypes and that is history and what is represented of their race or culture in the media.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search