If you wanna know what's gonna happen with gas prices... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
If you wanna know what's gonna happen with gas prices...
Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:31 AM on j-body.org
...just look at Canada. We still have big trucks and V8 cars, we just don't use them as daily drivers. You'll almost never see a family here driving a gaz guzzling SUV, usually it's a minivan or one of those crappy 4 door hatchback cars. Most people buy the cheapest, most fuel efficient car they can and tool around in that. The mentality behind this is that paying 200-300$ worth of gas a month limits the amount of money you can sanely spend on a new car, so you have to buy something cheaper (sometimes used) just to offset the price of gas. Even guys who have Camaros and Mustangs only drive them on weekends, or just during the summer. Cobalts and G5's are some of the best selling vehicles here, we literally buy ten times the amount you guys do. I make a semi decent wage (15$ an hour) and literally can't afford anything more expensive than a Cobalt Sport or a Toyota Yaris even though technically I could make the payments on a much more expensive car. It's just that with insurance and gas it would be pointless... unless I like watching my car just kind of sit in my backyard.

Re: If you wanna know what's gonna happen with gas prices...
Thursday, May 08, 2008 6:25 AM on j-body.org
I don't know about that. I'm from southern ontario, our gas is about $1.22 a litre right now and there are LOTS of SUV's all over the place! near my college there is a secondary school and when the parents go to pick up their children its like a parade of SUVs. Also mustang GTs are abundant, however i will say i don't see as many F-bodies. And i think pickups with V-8s is just a given, they won't go anywhere as long as people need them for work or there are truck guys. I barely see prius' anymore, insights are almost non existant, but i do see some escape hybrids and lexus hybrids. So maybe it hasn't hit home in this part of Canada yet but basically we are all just lining up with scowls on our face and handing our money over regardless of price. But i will say a lot of Americans complain about their gas prices which I would be happy to be paying (although yes we are all still getting screwed north and south of the border)! btw $1.22/L = approx $4.63/gal

----------------------------
<<<<<2003 Sunfire Sedan>>>>>

Thursday, May 08, 2008 8:17 AM on j-body.org
I'm not at all concerned over it. Yes, i drive a V6 that sucks gas worse than Callisto, but i take public transit to and from work. All I need to do now is budget for roadtrips a bit better. Again, no worries for me--I'd just skip a few Chai Tea lattes to pay for it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, May 09, 2008 6:24 PM on j-body.org
I drive a v8 truck an hour to work, and an hour home every day. It costs a lot, but you know what. I like my truck, so that is the price I pay to drive it I guess.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:28 AM on j-body.org
I just drive a 14 second 4-cylinder that gets 32mpg HWY....

This is one of the biggest reason I'm sticking with my Sunfire..... I can make it fast... and still get reasonable gas milage.

My dad has a 5.0 mustang that gets almost 30mpg on the highway.... and the only reason he isn't hopping it up is because of gas prices.... we all know how quick your milage drops in those things once you start modding them.....

Either way... gas prices suck.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search