Rising Gas Prices - Post your Solutions - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rising Gas Prices - Post your Solutions
Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:49 AM on j-body.org
themarin8r wrote:some people get a job that is far away not because they want to, but because it may be necessary in their career path
not everyone can afford to move for their job, and not everyone would want to since some people do not have the job security that most of us have
moving closer to work is a big saver for sure, but its not always feasible for some

what does job security have to do with it. payig for a $600 apartment 50 miles from work is the same as paying for a $600 apartment 2 miles from work. only diffrence is you move closer to work and u can start putting all that extra gas money into the saving account. is it right for everyone, know its not, nothing is ever right for everyone out there. but allot more people could do it if they chose to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 8:19 AM on j-body.org
AWD Benzo (Joey) wrote:
And as far as the $100 a week to commute....how about moving closer to work? I did. Moved about 1 mile from work as opposed to the previous 10-12 miles I was before.

That's a good suggestion that should be practiced as much as possible, but it's not practical for a lot of people. There are plenty of couples that simply work on opposite ends of town, or now with the housing market so bad in so many areas its impossible to sell (and buy).

---

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 8:30 AM on j-body.org
I live 3 miles from work. It's niiiiice! I can hardly listen to a whole song in the morning before I'm walking into my office.

My current daily driver gets about 25 mpg. In a few weeks I'll be getting a motorcycle, which should net me between 50 and 70 mpg. Most of my driving is taking the 25 minute trip to St. Augustine or Daytona to hang out on the weekends, or going to other parts of FL for work/play. I rarely need more than a backpack full of clothes for the weekends, so this seemed like the most logical solution for me.

Of course, me wanting a bike for years slightly factored into my decision.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:47 PM on j-body.org
I used to drive 45 miles each way to work, 90 miles a day.

Now moved to a new town, new job more money, live 8 miles away, and am saving a @!#$ load of money in gas each week.

You cant solve high gas prices, but if people would actually converse gas, and drove more fficently, and stopped making so many extra trips to here and there, the price would drop

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:55 PM on j-body.org
I think everyone here is forgetting a HUGE issue with moving closer to work in some cases. Cost of living...mainly housing costs. The difference between where I live and where I work is nearly two-fold...yep my 150k house w/ a garage would cost at least 250k within five miles of where I work. Its bull @!#$, but its true. Plus traffic is much, much worse around where I work... Im thankful for flex time that allows me to put in my day early...im talkin like 6-230.

If things were different I would have to consider moving closer, but as it is, its still cheaper to own my home 50 mi away than live right on top of where I work. I know my time is taken into account, but as long as traffic is not a parking lot, my drive is actually kind of a release

Friday, June 06, 2008 9:34 AM on j-body.org
Friday, June 06, 2008 11:10 AM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:
themarin8r wrote:some people get a job that is far away not because they want to, but because it may be necessary in their career path
not everyone can afford to move for their job, and not everyone would want to since some people do not have the job security that most of us have
moving closer to work is a big saver for sure, but its not always feasible for some

what does job security have to do with it. payig for a $600 apartment 50 miles from work is the same as paying for a $600 apartment 2 miles from work. only diffrence is you move closer to work and u can start putting all that extra gas money into the saving account. is it right for everyone, know its not, nothing is ever right for everyone out there. but allot more people could do it if they chose to.

well yeah no @!#$
but finding a place that is in your price range close to work is not always easy
and not everyone rents either, so selling their house to move close to work may not be worth it if the market in their area sucks balls
i totally agree that people should move closer to work to save money, but only if they can without putting themselves in a worse financial position
you may save money on gas and travel, but if you spend what you would save on housing, then what would be the point?

Friday, June 06, 2008 11:13 AM on j-body.org
You know what I think we should do to lower oil prices? Invade Iraq. It's got tons of oil, a dictator that everyone wants out including other Muslim nations, and a marginally equipped military. All we need to do is find some way around the UN, give a lot of blah blah blah about democracy, bomb the sh*t outta the people there and voila! We'll be floating in oil again within six months! Should be a walk in the park.

What? Why's everyone yelling? *watches news* Oh... Uh, never mind.
Friday, June 06, 2008 12:06 PM on j-body.org
Knoxfire wrote:You know what I think we should do to lower oil prices? Invade Iraq. It's got tons of oil, a dictator that everyone wants out including other Muslim nations, and a marginally equipped military. All we need to do is find some way around the UN, give a lot of blah blah blah about democracy, bomb the sh*t outta the people there and voila! We'll be floating in oil again within six months! Should be a walk in the park.

What? Why's everyone yelling? *watches news* Oh... Uh, never mind.

is that seriously the only defense you have to hide behind?

that sh1ts getting old. how about coming up with another conspiracy theory? kthx

Friday, June 06, 2008 4:44 PM on j-body.org
Another conspiracy theory? You do realize that I'm the guy that laughs at everyone who posts conspiracies right? That I've never once defended one? That I mock most people for making arguments by ignorance every time they post some flying sauce crap involving 9/11 or even the Bush presidency? The closest thing to a "conspiracy" that I believe is that policians are lying, corrupt, evil, power hungry monsters who don't care about the public one bit. But that's hardly a "conspiracy" theory.

I was making a funny. The Iraq war is what made the oil prices soar in the first place. That's why it's funny that I "suggest" it as a solution.
Saturday, July 12, 2008 10:24 AM on j-body.org
how about getting rid of the damm futures traders that are driving up the price simply to make more money

or tell saudi, you get $3.00 per barrell, or we turn you into a glass parking, lot

if not invade and over throw their obviously evil dictator (oh wait)

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:18 AM on j-body.org
how about bringing back the compact cheap cars aka ford festiva or geo metros. they get 40 plus miles per gallon. they are cheap to buld and cheap to buy. i know they made the smart car but at 14k i dont think so. hows about 5 k . car companys need to bring back the 3 cylinders and to hell with all the luxury stuff. just a basic car that goes and stops is what the world needs. not heated seats and navigation and rear facing cameras.

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/neonfuzz614/?action=view¤t=fuzzsig.png
Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:31 AM on j-body.org
AWD GS wrote:i dont need a solution, i continue to drive my car everyday and buy gas once a week like any normal person. my suggestion though for those who bitch about the prices, get a better job.

That's the same line of thinking I have.

I drive 22 miles to work, 22 miles back. Moving closer will end up costing more due to increased mortgage/utils/etc. than the $200/month I spend on gas.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:45 AM on j-body.org
As far as saying not everyone needs a 200-250+ hp car for daily driving... no we dont, but.... My cav is somewhere in that range and still gets great gas mileage - pretty damn close to what it got back when I bought it and it was stock. If I step on it, its a hog, but under normal driving, it does just fine. I bought another for daily driving, but purely for the fact of saving unnecsary driving on that one, not because of gas.

If people change their driving habits, that makes a huge difference.

Another exmaple, people have complained about the MPG that the Cobat SS/SC gets apparently... but I've gotten my boyfriend's upwards of 45-50 average MPG in 5th gear, in cruise control on the highway. However if i step on it, i can get it to hit a 16-18 MPG average messing around with it in the city.

How you drive your car is a huge factor.

I personally havent changed my driving habits much... I fill up maybe once a week, if not less, and it costs me around 40$ for each of the Cavs, a lil more in the turbo'd one, as it takes premium. So Its maybe making around a 10$ difference a week, in a fill-up, from when I bought my 02, 4 years ago. Yea its more than I want to pay, but I have to drive to get places, so what are you going to do.

It will take years upon years, to make a country-wide change, on the way our vehicles run.... It would be extremely costly and a lot harder than it sounds, considering all the vehicles there is currently, running off standard gasoline..

How many people are in the USA? Now factor in, how many people haved more than 1 car..? Then how many gas stations would have to convert, or disapear?

I do agree with whomever it was stating that the high prices, especially if they continue to increase, will start affecting everyone in the sence of, plane tickets, food delivery, those that have gas heat, etc.... it will begin to impact different areas, aside from strictly day to day driving.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:58 PM on j-body.org
AWD GS wrote:i dont need a solution, i continue to drive my car everyday and buy gas once a week like any normal person. my suggestion though for those who bitch about the prices, get a better job.

I have suggested that in pretty well every "gas price" thread on this site. I pretty well got called an ass-hole in every one of them too, lol.

But ya, I will say it again. If something as small as the price of gas is causing you problems in life. That should be a sign that you NEED a better job.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:18 PM on j-body.org
Gutty96 wrote:

I have suggested that in pretty well every "gas price" thread on this site. I pretty well got called an ass-hole in every one of them too, lol.

But ya, I will say it again. If something as small as the price of gas is causing you problems in life. That should be a sign that you NEED a better job.

You get called an ass-hole because that's a simplistic solution to a complex problem.

Unemployment is rising. How is EVERYONE who has a problem going to get a better job? There are only so many good jobs out there.

---

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:55 PM on j-body.org
yes and jobs are at an all time low especially with people getting laid off left and right from good jobs, i work for the school district and they even cut our funding, how do you explain that?? I mean come on education is the basis of our future leaders and were cutting down funding wtf is that

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:58 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
Gutty96 wrote:

You get called an ass-hole because that's a simplistic solution to a complex problem.

Unemployment is rising. How is EVERYONE who has a problem going to get a better job? There are only so many good jobs out there.

He's kinda right. I can live with the gas prices based on income, but there is a very real level at which people cant cope. Maybe get a "better" job is not the right phrase, but get a "second" job will be a solution for most, but it has to be very local. Not to sound to cynical, but most people who make enough money not to have to worry about money forget what its like.

"buy gas a once a week like any normal person" is such an ignorant thing to say....but I wont go there.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:00 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
Gutty96 wrote:

I didn't imply it was be an easy solution, but it is the reality of the problem. Sorry if it hurts feelings, but sometimes a little reality will do that.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:33 AM on j-body.org
Bro, it's NOT a solution, because it's not a solution for everyone. Fuel prices are national problem driving inflation and putting people out of work. Your solution, if it's even possible for a person, is a solution for just one person.

There are 36.5 million people living below the poverty line. The poverty line for one person is $10,400 a year, or for a family of four $21,200. A person driving 10k miles a year will use ~20% of their income in gas alone at current prices. Then they still gotta pay rent, insurance and now inflated prices on food and goods (also thanks to gas prices) just to live.

So how are 36.5 million people going to get better jobs? Hell, how would ONE million people going to get better jobs when less than 20,000 jobs are being created a month right now (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=azox51da5LAM&refer=home) ? Especially when at 5% unemployment there are already 15 million people out of work competing with you?

And when one person does get a better, existing job, what about the person they displaced??

Do you even think of it this deeply?

---

Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:59 AM on j-body.org
lets just get everyone to start a massive riot, riots solve everything

Kill list:03 eclipse, 06 GTO, 04 Mach 1 Mustang

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:08 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
Gutty96 wrote:

The flip side is to live within your means.

I'd love a G8 to park beside my Altima, but realistically, I'm likely going to be getting rid of the Altima too.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:21 AM on j-body.org
Too many people and not enough jobs

We aren't creating jobs fast enough, so I guess we need to create less people eh?
Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:29 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:Bro, it's NOT a solution, because it's not a solution for everyone. Fuel prices are national problem driving inflation and putting people out of work. Your solution, if it's even possible for a person, is a solution for just one person.

There are 36.5 million people living below the poverty line. The poverty line for one person is $10,400 a year, or for a family of four $21,200. A person driving 10k miles a year will use ~20% of their income in gas alone at current prices. Then they still gotta pay rent, insurance and now inflated prices on food and goods (also thanks to gas prices) just to live.

So how are 36.5 million people going to get better jobs? Hell, how would ONE million people going to get better jobs when less than 20,000 jobs are being created a month right now (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=azox51da5LAM&refer=home) ? Especially when at 5% unemployment there are already 15 million people out of work competing with you?

And when one person does get a better, existing job, what about the person they displaced??

Do you even think of it this deeply?

Absolutely not. I can only look out for number one, and I expect everyone else to do the same.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:34 PM on j-body.org
Just Smuggle couple of Mexicans, have them push your car everywhere for 4$ a day.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search