Stupid Medieval Beliefs that live on - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stupid Medieval Beliefs that live on
Friday, June 20, 2008 7:42 PM on j-body.org
Know what drives me crazy?

*from the j-body audience: Knowing that you've got a tiny penis?*

No... that doesn't bother me. I mean... it's huge. I mean... SHUT UP!

What drives me crazy is how some totally off the wall beliefs survive no matter what the proof to the contrary may be. Like the Flat Earth Thing or how having a fan in your room will suck up all the oxygen and kill you.

But the worst one. The absolute WORST one is how people still believe that Trepanation is a viable alternative form of medicine. I mean JESUS... this makes leeches look like stem cell therapy.

Note: I realize that both leeches and trepanation are still used in some rare occasions (Leeches to make blood circulate and prevent coagulation in re-attached limbs and trepanation to relieve pressure on the brain after a massive head injury.) however the reason for their use in modern times has very little connection to their use in the past and is purely coincidental. So nyah!

Anyway, my question was. What obviously BS belief/fad drives you up the wall?

Re: Stupid Medieval Beliefs that live on
Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:52 AM on j-body.org
That some dude 4000 years ago gathered 2 of every animal, built a wooden boat the size of a nuclear carrier, and sat through a year long flood that covered the highest mountains and rearranged the continents, then let everything off and all the life we see today descended from the survivors in some "evolution and reproduction gone wild" explosion.

Some people...

Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:04 AM on j-body.org
How about the idiots who try to say we've never been to the moon!?

they are like "oh, uh the landing was all staged on a Hollywood set! and "For the launch at cape canaveral they just went up orbited the earth and came back:"

It's like they have an excuse for everything, those ignorant @!#$!

haha,

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:49 AM on j-body.org
ORGANIZED RELIGION

</thread>

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, June 23, 2008 9:02 AM on j-body.org
posCav wrote:How about the idiots who try to say we've never been to the moon!?

they are like "oh, uh the landing was all staged on a Hollywood set! and "For the launch at cape canaveral they just went up orbited the earth and came back:"

It's like they have an excuse for everything, those ignorant @!#$!

haha,

They usually stfu when you Postulate that if that was the case, the lunar laser ranging retroreflector array, LINK. Sorry, anyone that knows the location can ping it, and get a response back... it's not a load of BS, it's for real.

What most bothers me (apart from a lot of organized religions and their slough of conspiracies) is when someone sees something printed either on the net, in a magazine or in a newspaper, and it's GOSPEL. They can never ever ever concieve of the fact that something that's printed is even possibly wrong. The real medieval bit stems from the fact that printing presses or scribes were only available to the rich or wealthy (like THEY aren't hiding anything ever).

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:17 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]ORGANIZED RELIGION

That sums it up for me too.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:37 PM on j-body.org
Naw, I don't put religion in there because it's a spiritual thing. Religion, I don't mind. After all, it has a long history and a kind of brotherhood around it. I have my complaints about it, but I don't think it's stupid to believe in a God.

What drives me totally bonkers is stuff that's so utterly implausible that only the biggest damn fool would believe it.

Take me, for example, I was a big believer of UFO's in 1990 and had a knowledge of the subject that would put Fox Mulder to shame. However, after a while the people who believed in that stuff totally turned me off because they were so obviously stupid and gullible. They'd literally believe anything you told them and everything was "proof" no matter how ill researched or fake.

That's actually when I began to formulate my belief that there are some people out there who will believe in something even if they know it's fake just because they need to believe regardless of things like "truth" or "reality".

The "Moon Landing was Fake" one is awesome! That one makes me grind my teeth.

The Subliminal advertising one is another stupid belief made all the more sad because it's so common and a lot of people think it's possible, but come on... if we could subliminally control the population every movie that cost a lot to make would be a "hit", and they're not. Nobody would trade MP3s, instead feeling compelled to buy bands' crappy albums. And people would still buy SUVs even if gas went up to 20$ a gallon. Yet, none of this happens because, as any marketing guy will tell you, advertising doesn't really work. It keeps brand identity out there, but once people are old enough to shave they're kind of locked into what they like to buy and there's really no way to coerce them out of it. In the end, people really do like stupid crap and buy or watch it because they want to.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:58 AM on j-body.org
crop circle scientists?
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:22 AM on j-body.org
Hence the Organized part.

Religion in and of itself is not a bad thing, but when people organize it all kinds of bad crap comes from it. Sure, you do have some fellowship, but only to certain members. From there, it's pretty much a pissing contest and a haven for some of the biggest crimes of the specie.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:05 PM on j-body.org
Flat Earth. I was going to link the Flat Earth Society webpage but its no longer up. Hmmmm interesting. I was on that website for atleast 3 hours one day out of shear boredom (preJBO day) and there are people who honestly believe this exists. Its literally pages and forums of people arguing over it. Its retarded. Yep theres a 6 mile tall ice wall around the edge of the Earth. Got pics? Uh well we uh did but uhh....... Ya what I thought.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:07 PM on j-body.org
Hmmm i feel like an idiot now. Bringing back a month old thread.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:32 PM on j-body.org
^^ I was wondering WTF was going on......

And the looner landing wasn't staged at a hollywood studio...... it was staged in rosewell NM..... everyone knows that LOL

Friday, July 11, 2008 9:11 AM on j-body.org
Ha exactly because there's no moon its a projection on a huge canvas. We're someones Truman Show!

Saturday, July 12, 2008 2:31 AM on j-body.org
The moon landing was staged on the moon. Its so fake.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:11 PM on j-body.org
Not exactly medieval, but homeopathy drives me up the wall. If you honestly think that's a good way to deal with life threatening illnesses, you deserve what's coming to you. Only a true ignoramus would believe that 1/1000th of a drug, diluted in water will have the same, if not more, potency than the full dose.

The other things is naturopathy. There's a lady here in Grande Prairie who was upset after the school refused to let her daughter to come back to school after she got pink eye. Guess what? The reason they wouldn't let her in is because mommy refused to buy a bottle of polysporin eye drops. She infected several children. People thinking they don't need anti-depressants because they take Vitamin B, or they don't need glasses because the Vitalux they take will cure they're vision. Or that the common cold can be cured by taking various exotic herbs. Or that they don't need arthritis meds because they're on some magic herbal remedy.

People need to get their heads out of their asses and think about their health, and how modern medicine has provided us with obvious answers that make being sick a hell of a lot easier.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:15 AM on j-body.org
Scott: Tinktures, herbal remedies, and other non-traditional (which is an odd concept) modern medicine have useful applications. Modern medicine has gaps in it, and it's also based mostly out of nature.

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:19 AM on j-body.org
I try to do homeopathy over "modern" medicing, but it's less on "science doesn't work" to more of "not using science as a crutch". I'd ratther build my immune system or rely on it using homeopathic techniques to reduce sysmptoms while my immune system fight an illness rather than reliying on science and modern medicne to use chemicals to fight an illness and letting my immune system atrophy.

However, for large-scale illnesses, I would do modern medicine if necessary. I trust an epi-pen over homeopathy for stopping anaphlyaxis.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, July 18, 2008 3:55 PM on j-body.org

I agree 100%

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
http://www.ahmperformance.com
Saturday, July 19, 2008 8:50 AM on j-body.org
Where do you think all those drugs come from in the first place. The trouble with "natural" medicine is getting the dose correct, not the drugs themselves. Most pain killers come from poppies (the powerful pain killers). ASA was developed based on a benzine ring found in birch bark, many anti-cancer medication come from plant sources etc etc etc. If you think the natuarl sources are somehow weakened then I dare you to slice a poppy and lick the latex.. Make sure someone who can treat the overdose of opiates is near by. If you think natural sources are weak how about eating some datura and reporting back.. Don't actually, I never should have said that, I don't want you to end up in hospital or dead, so just don't. The point is that many "natural" remedies are as effective or more effective than their sterile, pill formed counterparts. IE: if you take morphine that's all you get But if you go to the plant source of morphine you will also get codine and other opiates in with the morphine and it is way more powerful.. Powerful enough to kill you, be careful.

The benefit of modern medications is that the dosahge and composition are carefully controlled, not that the potency is higher or that the drug is somehow better.

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Monday, July 21, 2008 9:54 AM on j-body.org
^^^Chance darwinism right there...but I wouldn't be licking the inside of a poppy plant--if i did, i'd expect a darwin award.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Monday, July 21, 2008 10:24 AM on j-body.org
Trepanation is crazy.... I did a senior project back in highschool about the significance of body modifications, which covered everything from hair dye to piercings, tattoos, and trepanation... People that go through with performing trepanation say it gives them a natural high, like ecstacy... One of the guys i vaguely remember using as an example was an acid/ecstacy addict... and ended up doing that and stopped using drugs because he felt naturally high. I suppose in that case, its safer than doing drugs and holds some sort of purpose. But still its a little far fetched for me beyond severe medical needs.... I know I would prefer not to have a dime to quarter sized part of my skull removed :shivers:

I wouldn't consider religion necesarily being a bad thing ... Theres a fine line... I dont feel that its a bad thing to have something to believe in, somone/something to look up to at times, a place of comfort to hope for once you die, etc... I personally do not believe in god and am not religous at all, but I dont think theres anything wrong with it if you do. HOWEVER I think some religions, more specifically, people who are religion extremists, some churches/places of worship, are pushing it too much.

Those people that still believe the earth is flat... have they seen satelite photos? >.>

The other thing that I wanted to touch base on is UFOs/Aliens.. I certainly believe that there is life out there somewhere. Whether they are what we consider intelligent, who knows. But theres no doubt in my mind that somewhere at some time, there is/was/will be life out there somewhere... We are talking an infinate universe.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:06 AM on j-body.org
The universe isn't infinite... well... The universe is big. Really big. It may seem like a long way to the corner chemist, but compared to the universe, that's peanuts.

If it's still expanding now due to the big boom, there's going to be a point at which momentum is overcome by gravity, and then the inevitable big crunch will happen with increasing rapidity.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:38 AM on j-body.org

AMEN.

Here on JBO....
Calling a car with bolt ons or any modification "stock."

The world AND on the JBO....
Substituting the word: "ignorant" for "stupid."

THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:34 AM on j-body.org
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]ORGANIZED RELIGION

AMEN.

Here on JBO....
Calling a car with bolt ons or any modification "stock."

The world AND on the JBO....
Substituting the word: "ignorant" for "stupid."

Yes! I always hated looking at a car ad for a 1968 Mustang with a supercharged 351, Eleanor bodykit, 8 point rollcage, 17" ROH wheels, and seeing "Fully Restored" in the description. Uh... that's not what "restored" means.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search