Global Warming - Page 9 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Global Warming
Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:18 PM on j-body.org
We're making it happen quicker than it should. Most people think it will only get hotter, but in fact it could lead to a new ice age, if all the water from the poles change the sea currents (if it's the correct words, sorry for my english). I'm only 22, but I can remember when I was a kid that we used to have A LOT of snow during winter and had often temp like -30, -40.. Now it's @!#$ty winters with like -25 max and not a lot of snow!! Things change, we can slow it down a bit, but can't do anything against it!!!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 10:31 AM on j-body.org
My whole point is this:

1. We're in a point of climate change...naturally.
  2. Pollution is likely accellerating this, but to an unknown degree
  3. We shouldn't really be polluting in the first place
  4. but stopping all pollution right now won't change the climate shift
  5. The climate shift, manmade or not, is likely to have drastic effects on humanity itself
  6. We as humans can't cope with change that well. We're threatened by rising oceans and stronger storms, yet still we want to have that pristine oceanfront property on the sand bar. And somewhow, we expect sympathy with a Cat 5 hurricane turns our houses into driftwood
  7. We try to change natural processes to make life more convenient for ourself, which often backfires.
  8. The climate shift will not destroy earth--if anything, it will lead to the extinction of the human specie
  9. This is not necessarily a bad thing.
  10. The more we feel we're above, or separate from mature, increases the chance that we do something to attempt to alter it, and then, like NOLA, Nature gives us a, "Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me--don't you know who the @!#$ I am, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!", and ends up into a massive catastrophe, while cynical @!#$s like myself laugh at you.
  11. Accept the fact that there is no where on this planet that we can live without a catastrophe threatening. It's hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes, volcanoes, wildfires, or tsunamis--or a collection thereof. Deal with it.
  12. Any attempt to create more order always results in more chaos somewhere else--law of unintended consequences. Sometimes it's easier to deal with the issue than try to fix it and create more issues. So stop @!#$ with nature--she, like gravity, is a harsh mistress.
  13. Haven't we done enough?

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, October 05, 2006 10:12 AM on j-body.org
And then there's that Caldera under Yellowstone.. 22km^3 of pumice would make one hell of a mess.

Our aim now must shift. Yes we must reduce our imissions, but more than that we need to have good disaster plans and encourage people to be more self sufficient.

Have a bit of property? Plant a garden, learn what will and will not grow well in your soil. Learn how to purify water. Etc etc.. Knowledge will save your life. Relying on government will get you nowhere, maybe dead.

PAX
Thursday, October 05, 2006 11:25 AM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:And then there's that Caldera under Yellowstone.. 22km^3 of pumice would make one hell of a mess.

Our aim now must shift. Yes we must reduce our imissions, but more than that we need to have good disaster plans and encourage people to be more self sufficient.

Have a bit of property? Plant a garden, learn what will and will not grow well in your soil. Learn how to purify water. Etc etc.. Knowledge will save your life. Relying on government will get you nowhere, maybe dead.

PAX

You're talking about the super volcano?? The one that if it blow up most life on earth will die??? From what I heard in a scientific program (Découverte) it was supposed to blow a while ago, but didn't... If it does blow in a near future it will be hello nuclear winter!!!!

Thursday, October 05, 2006 11:32 AM on j-body.org
Nah, it's got a 1M+ year cycle, and the last time it erupted was about 600,000 years ago.

If we think back to St. Helens (1980) and how much trouble it caused...then consider Pinatubo dwarfed it, then consider Krakatau dwarfed that, then consdier the Mazama (approx 6800 years ago--The resut being crater lake)) dwarfed that, and then consider the episode at Yellowtone 600k years ago dwarfed that, then there was a new zealand one (the volcano name escapes me), then the 2.2 MYA yellowstone event...yeah, we are nothing more than talking meat.

The thing that a lot of shows that that don't depict is that there's always a few hardy species out there that will survive. usually the dominant species won't because they are less hardy and more tied into the biocycles they help create.

Assuming another mass extinction happens by meteor, supervolcano, extreme climate shift, likely Elephants, Lions, Tigers, a lot of Raptor species, chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, and of course humans will likely be the first to die out.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Thursday, October 05, 2006 2:42 PM on j-body.org
I thought Yellowstone erupted 3 times in the last 2.1 million years. 2.1 million, then 800 000 years later, then 600 00 years later and that last one was 640 000 years ago.. If history repeats itself it will do it again anytime between now and about 150 000 years from now. That was my understanding anyway.

Yellowstone lake is tilting.. Kinda cool.. Kinda spooky.

I believe it will not wipe out all life on Earth, but it will make a huge dent. The northern hemisphere may well be uninhabitable for a while.

Sorry about above.. imission=emission. Don't know where my head is at sometimes.. I'll blame this stupid cold I have.

PAX
Thursday, October 05, 2006 3:08 PM on j-body.org
^^^i think we said the same thing...about 2.2 mya, 1.3mya, and 600kya....I'm just refering to strength of eruptions.

checking...ahh yes...

Quote:

Three times in the past 2 million years, large reservoirs of rhyolite magma have accumulated in the upper crust at Yellowstone, triggering cataclysmic eruptions and caldera collapses 2.0, 1.3, and 0.6 million years ago. The first great eruption (2.0 million years B.P.) produced the Huckleberry Ridge Tuff (more than 2,450 cubic kilometers) and a composite caldera more than 75 kilometers long, extending from Island Park on the west to central Yellowstone Park on the east. The second eruption (1.3 m.y. B.P.) produced the Mesa Falls Tuff (more than 280 cubic kilometers) and the Island Park Caldera west of Yellowstone Park; the third (0.6 m.y. B.P.) produced the Lava Creek Tuff (more than 1,000 cubic kilometers) and the present Yellowstone Caldera. Rhyolitic volcanism resumed within the Yellowstone Caldera after structural resurgence formed the Sour Creek and Mallard Lake resurgent domes. Renewed doming in the western caldera culminated with extrusion of 1,000 cubic kilometers of intracaldera rhyolite flows between 150,000 and 75,000 years ago.

Taken from here:
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Yellowstone/description_yellowstone.html

So we were a bit off on the cataclismic eruptions, and it has effused lava in the caldera itself...Still, remind me to call in sick whern she blows

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, October 05, 2006 9:14 PM on j-body.org
Should have said if it blow up in the worst case possible

Friday, October 06, 2006 9:04 AM on j-body.org
Nash, if you want the worst case possible, look up what happened when the Yellowstone Hotspot was under what is now the Cascade range in washington--the Columbia River flood basalts.

That would suck like a Teenage Boy in Foley's office. <insert groans here>

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, July 02, 2008 3:35 AM on j-body.org
Hello everyone!

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
http://www.ahmperformance.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search